Revival Screenings of Classic/Cult Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
GaryC

Re: Revival Screenings of Classic/Cult Films

#51 Post by GaryC » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:57 am

Next Tuesday in London, A nos amours are showing a 35mm restoration print of Fellini Satyricon, at the Curzon Mayfair at 6.15pm.

Further down on their website, they're looking for assistance from anyone fluent in French for assistance in a potential future screening of Out 1 (helping to cue up a subtitle set with an unsubtitled 16mm print).

repeat

#52 Post by repeat » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:11 am

Man please, I spent fifteen minutes on that thread bump! :D Don't want to spam any further - for a seriously rare screening (tomorrow) of a seriously undiscovered gem see previous page

kidc85

#53 Post by kidc85 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:22 am

EIGHT DEADLY SHOTS sounds interesting, is it available on DVD?

repeat

#54 Post by repeat » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 am

Only in Finland, but it's out of print, and anyway don't pay any money for that release: it has no subtitles in any language, and features very probably the worst excuse of a transfer you're ever likely to encounter - it was done from a horribly filtered TV broadcast copy, and on top of that transfered incorrectly to DVD, resulting in an amazing amount of ghosting - in a word, it's entirely unwatchable. Let's rather hope that this "pristine restoration" (which to my understanding is actually just a new properly copied digibeta of the good quality TV broadcast master) will finally end up on home video by one way or another.

I asked Malavida, who name-checked it as "one of the masterpieces of the early 1970's" in their releases of his lesser films, if they had any ambitions to release it, but never got a reply

repeat

#55 Post by repeat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 am

New York Times on Eight Deadly Shots, screening next week at MoMA's To Save And Project festival. Rest of the program doesn't look that bad either!

GaryC

#56 Post by GaryC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:33 am

On Sunday, as part of their "Sunday Night at the Oscars" season, the Prince Charles in London will be showing both Wings and All Quiet on the Western Front, both from 35mm prints according to the website. The trouble is, they are showing them at the same time as each other (8.30 and 8.40pm respectively)!

zedz

#57 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:09 pm

GaryC wrote:On Sunday, as part of their "Sunday Night at the Oscars" season, the Prince Charles in London will be showing both Wings and All Quiet on the Western Front, both from 35mm prints according to the website. The trouble is, they are showing them at the same time as each other (8.30 and 8.40pm respectively)!
#-o Yeah, there's no way there'd be any overlap in the potential audiences of those two films.

Monday's press release: "Owing to the fact that both of these films only did half the business we had expected, we have concluded that there is no audience for old movies any more."

Calvin

#58 Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:42 am

Mark Cousins and Filmhouse Edinburgh are presenting a "season of 17 rare masterpieces about kids from all over the world", which will tour the UK for a year starting from April. The films being shown are:
• “Willow and Wind” (Bid-o Baad). Iran, Japan, 1999. D. Mohammad-Ali Talebi. 77 mins. A boy breaks a school window, and must mend it himself before he’s allowed back in class.
• “Bag of Rice” (Kiseye Berendje). Iran, Japan, 1998. D. Mohammad-Ali Talebi. 80 mins. A little girl and an old blind lady decide to carry a sack of rice across Tehran.
• “The Boot” (Chakmeh). Iran 1993. D. Mohammad-Ali Talebi. 60 mins. A little girl craves a new pair of red wellies – but then loses one.
• “The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun” (La petite vendeuse de soleil). Senegal, Switzerland, France, Germany 1999. D. Djibril Diop Mambety. 45 min. A feisty crippled girl tries to improve her life by selling newspapers on the streets of Dakar.
• “Hugo and Josephine” (Hugo och Josefin). Sweden, 1967. D. Kjell Grede. 82 mins. The lonely daughter of a rural pastor makes friends with a wild boy who lives in the woods.
• “The King of Masks” (Bian Lian) China, Hong Kong, 1997. D. Wu Tian-Ming. 91 mins. An old illusionist buys a young boy to become his apprentice – but the boy isn’t quite what he seems.
• “The White Balloon” (Badkonake sefid) Iran 1995. D. Jafar Panahi. 85 mins. A stubborn little girl wants a new goldfish, and won’t let anything get in her way.
• “Tomka and his Friends” (Tomka dhe shokët e tij) Albania, 1977. D. Xhanfise Keko. 78 mins. A gang of Albanian boys in WW2 become secret agents for the Resistance when German troops occupy their village.
• “Palle Alone in the World” (Palle alene i verden). Denmark 1949. D. Astrid Henning-Jensen. 25 min. A boy wakes up to find Copenhagen deserted, and it becomes his giant playground.
• “Ten Minutes Older”. (Par desmit minutem vecaks). Latvia 1978. D. Herz Frank. 10 mins. One close-up, 10 minutes long, of a small boy’s face as he watches a thrilling puppet show.
• “Long Live the Republic” (At’ zije republika) Czechoslovakia, 1965. D. Karel Kachyna, 134 mins. A bullied boy tries to survive in a Czech village as the Germans retreat and the Russians advance.
• “Moving” (Ohikkoshi) Japan, 1993. D. Shinji Sômai. 124 mins. A girl struggles to come to terms with her parents’ divorce.
• “Forbidden Games” (Jeux interdits). France, 1952. D. René Clément. 86 mins. A boy and a girl retreat into a fantasy world to escape the horrors of WW2.
• “Crows” (Wrony). Poland, 1994. D. Dorota Kędzierzawska. 63 mins. A neglected girl steals a younger girl to become her surrogate mother.
• “Little Fugitive”. USA 1953. Dir Morris Engel, Ray Ashley, Ruth Orkin. 80 mins. A 7-year-old boy runs away to Coney Island when he thinks he’s killed his older brother.
• “Children in the Wind” (Kaze no naka no kodomo) Japan, 1937. D. Hiroshi Shimizu. 88 mins. The idyllic village life of a Japanese boy falls apart when his father is falsely imprisoned.
• “The Unseen” (Nespatřené). Czech Republic, 1997. D. Miroslav Janek. 53 mins. Documentary about Czech blind kids with remarkable talents, including taking photos.

beamish13

#59 Post by beamish13 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 am

Coming in April to the L.A. County Museum of Art: Penelope Spheeris' complete DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION trilogy screening in 35mm, with the first and third being presented in new prints. \:D/

dad1153

#60 Post by dad1153 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

^^^ Hopefully it'll come NYC's way soon after. :)

hearthesilence

The Dryden Theatre at George Eastman House (Rochester, NY)

#61 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 01, 2015 12:57 pm

I didn't realize this, but apparently nitrate prints can still be projected in a handful of theaters in the world, and the Dryden Theatre is one of them.

I've never seen a nitrate print projected before, and probably can't make these screenings, but I imagine it's a rare opportunity to see these films this way, maybe for the only time in a lifetime. Both color and black & white films are being shown. Schedule posted here.

ianthemovie

#62 Post by ianthemovie » Sun May 03, 2015 9:23 am

Amazing summer line-up at the Somerville Theater here in Boston:

- Wednesday nights (July-Aug): Ten Films by Sam Peckinpah (all in 35mm, with The Wild Bunch in 70mm)
- Thursday nights (July-Aug 13): The Complete Films of Paul Thomas Anderson (all in 35mm, with The Master in 70mm)
- Friday nights (late June-Aug): Midnight movies, including Blue Velvet (all in 35mm)
- August 14-16: Jaws in 35mm (they show this every summer and I always mean to go; hopefully this year I will make it!)

http://feitheatres.com/somerville-theatre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles

Revival Screenings of Classic/Cult Films

#63 Post by Charles » Sun May 03, 2015 10:51 am

Holy moley. I will have to try getting up there for something.

GaryC

Re: The Dryden Theatre at George Eastman House (Rochester, N

#64 Post by GaryC » Sun May 03, 2015 1:59 pm

hearthesilence wrote:I didn't realize this, but apparently nitrate prints can still be projected in a handful of theaters in the world, and the Dryden Theatre is one of them.

I've never seen a nitrate print projected before, and probably can't make these screenings, but I imagine it's a rare opportunity to see these films this way, maybe for the only time in a lifetime. Both color and black & white films are being shown. Schedule posted here.
NFT1 at the BFI Southbank in London is the only cinema in the UK licensed to show nitrate prints. They did for a while have a regular "nitrate slot" in their programme but haven't done so for a few years now.

repeat

#65 Post by repeat » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:19 pm

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet (or has it?): there is a retrospective of Hasse Ekman's films starting next week at MoMA. Girl with Hyacinths is indeed (in Ingmar Bergman's words) an absolute masterpiece, and The Banquet is better than anything Bergman ever did. NY people, I envy you - don't miss out on this!

Jack Phillips

#66 Post by Jack Phillips » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:57 pm

repeat wrote:I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet (or has it?): there is a retrospective of Hasse Ekman's films starting next week at MoMA. Girl with Hyacinths is indeed (in Ingmar Bergman's words) an absolute masterpiece, and The Banquet is better than anything Bergman ever did. NY people, I envy you - don't miss out on this!
Thanks. I, for one, am taking your warning to heart.

gorgeousnothings

#67 Post by gorgeousnothings » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 am

Harvard Film Archive is bringing Nobuhiko Obayashi to the US for screenings of House and Bound for the Fields, the Mountains, and the Seacoast in November.

dx23

#68 Post by dx23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 am

Frank Oz restores dark original ending of 'Little Shop of Horrors'. If I remember well, the first Little Shop of Horrors released by WB had the dark ending as one of the extras but Oz didn't approve that released, so that release was either recalled or simply put out of production and the film got re-released on DVD without that extra.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 am

The Blu-ray had the ending

dx23

#70 Post by dx23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:45 am

domino harvey wrote:The Blu-ray had the ending
Good to know cause I haven't upgraded thinking that it was just a better transfer with the same extras from the DVD re-release.

ochsfan

#71 Post by ochsfan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 am

Looking forward to this weekend's screenings of Preston Sturges' "Sullivan's Travels" at Portland's Hollywood Theater. The director's son, Preston Sturges Jr. will be in attendance and participate in a Q and A after the film.

https://hollywoodtheatre.org/comingsoon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;