Manos: The Hands of Fate (Harold P. Warren, 1966)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: Manos: The Hands of Fate (Harold P. Warren, 1966)

#76 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I don't think anybody who signs up for a kickstarter project are under any illusions about what they are getting into- they are paying money now for the promise of a product later. As with any investment, the fact that some of these projects may fall through and you could lose out on some money is a risk that people should expect. Even the most legitimate business deal could fall through- what would happen if the cast of Veronica Mars were in a freak bus accident before filming could finish?

Holding Kickstarter responsible because they facilitated the project would be like trying to get your money back from one of the mods here because you got ripped off in the trade forum.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#77 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:33 pm

jindianajonz wrote:what would happen if the cast of Veronica Mars were in a freak bus accident before filming could finish?
I know who did it!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:42 pm

swo17 wrote:
jindianajonz wrote:what would happen if the cast of Veronica Mars were in a freak bus accident before filming could finish?
I know who did it!
A+

Gregory

#79 Post by Gregory » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Jindianajonz: Backers are not under any illusions about what they're getting into because Kickstarter makes it legally binding that the project creators fulfill the rewards to the backers if the project is completed successfully, and if not, then a refund is in order. If the Veronica Mars cast all get killed ("Make it look like an accident!") then the project creator would presumably offer refunds. It's in Kickstarter's interest to make sure there are standards for the confidence that backers have in these projects. It's one of their main roles as facilitators of this kind of thing, and they're getting paid a percentage to do that, unlike the mods here.

HerrSchreck

#80 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:27 pm

jindianajonz wrote:I don't think anybody who signs up for a kickstarter project are under any illusions about what they are getting into- they are paying money now for the promise of a product later. As with any investment, the fact that some of these projects may fall through and you could lose out on some money is a risk that people should expect. Even the most legitimate business deal could fall through- what would happen if the cast of Veronica Mars were in a freak bus accident before filming could finish?

Holding Kickstarter responsible because they facilitated the project would be like trying to get your money back from one of the mods here because you got ripped off in the trade forum.
*flump*

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#81 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:51 am

Just wanted to provide a non-update update: We're four months away from TWO YEARS out of the original Blu-ray release date with not a peep from Ben Solovey on the status of the project since January. He's removed his avatar from Kickstarter, and has only posted on Facebook's page for the project a small handful of times in 2014.

Seems to be dead in the water. I was able to obtain a partial refund (hilariously, received a $20 refund from my $50 donation with a nasty e-mail stating that I wouldn't be receiving my Blu-ray as a result since I already got a t-shirt and pin), and have gotten my credit card company on the case of getting the rest of the funds. Hopefully anyone here who donated will take the time to e-mail through Kickstarter to obtain any refund you can as well, I'm mortified that the first and only Kickstarter I've pimped on here turned out this way, and I sincerely apologize.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Given how much they exceeded their target, I'm genuinely baffled by this - what did he spend the money on?

Incidentally, I'm very conscious that Arrow's Borowczyk Kickstarter backers deserve an update, and they'll get one a.s.a.p. The short version: everything's fine, the restoration of Goto went swimmingly, is all but complete and apparently looks amazing, the 35mm elements of the SD-only shorts are being examined to gauge how many can be given an HD upgrade with the remaining funds, and all's still on schedule for a June release.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#83 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't think it'd be out of line for me to mention that I heard directly from Synapse Films that they are very displeased with his placing the blame for the delays on them, that he's being very difficult and wholly the reason for the hold-up of the release. Why am I not surprised?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#84 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:08 pm

We've now reached two years since Blu-rays and DVDs were promised to be delivered with no progress. How delightfully frustrating this has become.

Can't stress this enough: So sorry that I ever recommended this project to this forum. I'm embarrassed by it, and so sad that one of my favorite cinematic oddities is being held hostage in this fashion.

MichaelB

#85 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 pm

On a happier Kickstarter-related note, Arrow's entire Borowczyk project may be signed off by Monday if all goes according to plan.

Which admittedly is a bit later than the May/June delivery initially promised, but we're still talking two months rather than two years, so hopefully we've got away with it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#86 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 pm

And I'm sure you've been updating folks on its status as it's gone along, as opposed to this project. ;)

matrixschmatrix

#87 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Well, and also people who pledged to the drive are paying an extremely reasonable price for what they'll get, not an inflated one based on a promise to get it earlier and an assurance that it will help the project happen at all.

I mean, I put $75 into the Portrait of Jason kickstarter well over a year ago, and still haven't gotten a disc- but they've also been great about updates, and actually did get a lovely poster out to me in a very reasonable timeframe. And I should actually get it by the end of the year!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#88 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:51 am

The creator of the Kickstarter is none too fond of me. He sent me a message asking me to "stop harassing us... on this page or elsewhere." ](*,)

MichaelB

#89 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Well, and also people who pledged to the drive are paying an extremely reasonable price for what they'll get, not an inflated one based on a promise to get it earlier and an assurance that it will help the project happen at all.
Arrow's project would have happened with or without the Kickstarter.

The only difference (albeit a pretty massive one) is that the Kickstarter ensured that every last scrap of film footage (including the 16mm on-set footage documenting the shooting of The Beast) would be presented in brand new HD scans as opposed to a mixture of HD and off-the-shelf SD video. Although, paradoxically, its very success ended up being responsible for the delay, because we ended up with all this extra material to turn into 2K masters! And then we decided to redo all the documentary clips in HD, which was no small task since the original documentary material adds up to several hours' worth - and that all had to be locked into place prior to subtitling.

So I'm actually rather surprised that the delay was "only" two months - it could have been a lot worse.

eerik

#91 Post by eerik » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Wow, only two and a half years after the promised date.

eerik

#92 Post by eerik » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:20 am

SYNAPSE FILMS ART REVEAL for our upcoming edition of MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE! Cover art created by the awesome Joel Robinson, a man we've known for years and we've finally had the opportunity to work with. More details to come, but we're fast-tracking this one as an October "Halloween" release. Once everything is coordinated for the sellsheet, etc. we may make the formal announcement next week, with extras, pre-order cut off, and street date details! To all the "Manos" restoration Kickstarter supporters out there... we are working RIGHT NOW to get both the DVD and BLU versions finished well before the "public" street date, so that all those that donated to Ben Solovey's Kickstarter campaign for his restoration will receive their copies well ahead of everyone else. Stay tuned!

Synapse Films Facebook

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#93 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 am

The creator of the project has already told me I'm not getting one early anymore because I dared question what the hell he was doing and why he had no respect for Kickstarter backers of the project, but I'll definitely be placing a preorder via traditional retail. And what's early, anyway, when you're 3+ years late delivering something?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#94 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:32 am

Synapse is under no obligation to care about what someone else did with the title before the licensed it, I'm not sure why you thought they would respond in kind

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#95 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 pm

I wasn't referring to Synapse at all, I was talking about the creator of the Kickstarter project. They're sending him a bunch of them to send to backers before the release date. I will not be receiving one of those. Not sure what you thought I was saying. The person who started the Kickstarter hasn't even updated backers via that website in around 2 years now, when he was regularly posting stuff about live screenings that he was putting on.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#96 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I wasn't referring to Synapse at all, I was talking about the creator of the Kickstarter project. They're sending him a bunch of them to send to backers before the release date. I will not be receiving one of those. Not sure what you thought I was saying. The person who started the Kickstarter hasn't even updated backers via that website in around 2 years now, when he was regularly posting stuff about live screenings that he was putting on.
For what I understood, you've backed up his campaign, so you're surely entitled either to get your perk or getting refunded, no ?

jsteffe

#97 Post by jsteffe » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:39 pm

tenia wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:I wasn't referring to Synapse at all, I was talking about the creator of the Kickstarter project. They're sending him a bunch of them to send to backers before the release date. I will not be receiving one of those. Not sure what you thought I was saying. The person who started the Kickstarter hasn't even updated backers via that website in around 2 years now, when he was regularly posting stuff about live screenings that he was putting on.
For what I understood, you've backed up his campaign, so you're surely entitled either to get your perk or getting refunded, no ?
Yes--you are entitled to receive your copy regardless. If not, you can complain to Kickstarter. It won't make your copy come faster, but it might help to have it on record with Kickstarter, in case he ever tries to get another campaign going again.

Gregory

#98 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 pm

eerik wrote:Cover art created by the awesome Joel Robinson, a man we've known for years and we've finally had the opportunity to work with.
Very impressive work for a humble janitor!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#99 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm

jsteffe wrote:
tenia wrote:
For what I understood, you've backed up his campaign, so you're surely entitled either to get your perk or getting refunded, no?
Yes--you are entitled to receive your copy regardless. If not, you can complain to Kickstarter. It won't make your copy come faster, but it might help to have it on record with Kickstarter, in case he ever tries to get another campaign going again.
I've made my feelings known about this creep to Kickstarter time and time again. But yeah. I'll just buy one.

Minkin

#100 Post by Minkin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Special Features announced:

All-new 2K restoration of MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE
Audio commentary featuring Tom "The Master" Neyman and Jackey Raye "Debbie" Neyman-Jones
HANDS: THE FATE OF "MANOS" – Featurette (31 mins.)
RESTORING THE HANDS OF FATE – Featurette (7 mins.)
FELT: THE PUPPET HANDS OF FATE – Featurette (4 mins.)
[BLU-RAY ONLY BONUS] MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE – "Grindhouse" Unrestored Version

Available on October 13th.
-----------
I guess they couldn't get Hotel Torgo as an extra. So between this and the MST3K disc, one should have all angles covered for Manos. As someone who had the foresight not to contribute to the kickstarter :P , its been a long wait, but I'm thoroughly excited!

Also - cover question. Is the face in the background supposed to be the statue thats on the mantle? I thought it was Torgo but then noticed he's off to the left.