Upcoming Movies on TV (US)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
thethirdman

Upcoming Movies on TV (US)

#1 Post by thethirdman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:00 pm

TCM US
TCM US programming day begins at 6:00am ET
Last edited by thethirdman on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 53 times in total.

Jeff

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (US)

#2 Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Timec wrote:It's a few months away, but starting in September TCM will be screening Mark Cousins' The Story of Film along with more than a hundred films featured in Cousins' series. A lot of the selected films are pretty standard programming for TCM, but they'll also be showing The Wind, Cairo Station, The Goddess, Osaka Elegy, Oshima's Boy, and a few other harder-to-find titles.
Turner Classic Movies (TCM), now in its 20th year as a leading authority in classic film, will present the U.S. television premiere of the acclaimed documentary series The Story of Film: An Odyssey this fall. The series, which tells the history of cinema through a worldwide lens, will be the centerpiece of TCM's most ambitious and far-reaching programming event ever. Over the span of 15 weeks, beginning Monday, Sept. 2, TCM will present The Story of Film: An Odyssey curated with a slate of 119 films and dozens of short subjects representing 29 countries across six continents.
Fantastic news! What a wonderful overview of the history of film. Get this:
More than 30 films in the collection will be making their first appearance on TCM, and a significant number of those will be appearing for the first time on U.S. television. TCM premieres include Luis Buñuel & Salvador Dalí's Un Chien Andalou (1928 - France); Kenji Mizoguchi's Osaka Elegy (1936 - Japan); Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali(1955 – India); Youssef Chahine's Cairo Station (1955 - Egypt); Vilgot Sjöman's I Am Curious (Yellow) (1967 – Sweden); Ousmane Sembene's Black Girl (1966 – Senegal) and Xala (1975); Robert Altman's M*A*S*H (1970 – U.S.A.) and McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971 – U.S.A.); Wim Wenders' Alice in the Cities (1974 – Germany); Patricio Guzmán's two-part epic The Battle of Chile (1975 – Venezuela, France, Cuba); Tengiz Abuladze's Repentance(1984 – Soviet Union); Abbas Kiarostami's Where is the Friend's Home? (1987 - Iran); Kar Wai Wong's Days of Being Wild (1990 – Hong Kong); Jane Campion's The Piano (1993 – New Zealand, France); Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992 – U.S.A.); Joon-ho Bong's Memories of Murder (2003 – South Korea); and Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Climates (2006 – Turkey).
To reiterate: Cairo Station, two films by Ousmane Sembene, and Where is the Friend's Home are airing on U.S. television.

Great work Mr. Cousins.

J.R._Beasley

#3 Post by J.R._Beasley » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Timec wrote:It's a few months away, but starting in September TCM will be screening Mark Cousins' The Story of Film along with more than a hundred films featured in Cousins' series. A lot of the selected films are pretty standard programming for TCM, but they'll also be showing The Wind, Cairo Station, The Goddess, Osaka Elegy, Oshima's Boy, and a few other harder-to-find titles.
It is also available for instant viewing on Netflix.

Lowry_Sam

#4 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Came across a new network I hadn't seen before while vacationing in NJ. Movies! shows complete movies (with commercial interruption & expletives silenced) from the 40s - 80s, featuring many not on dvd or which are more obscure (though many are mediocre titles).

In the past week:
Forty Guns
The Gunfighter
Framed (1947)
W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings
Phffft
The Glass Wall
The Devil At 4 O'Clock
Nightfall (1957)
Career (1959)
Man Hunt (1941)
WUSA

Today:
The Bounty Killer
Destination Gobi

Upcoming:
Reprisal! (1956)
Lisa (1962)
Hard Times
A Message To Garcia (1936)
Grizzly
Mothra
Sleepers West
Comanche Station

They repeat movies often, so past movies might be playing next week too. Looks to only be available in some metro areas, so you might want to ask your cable provider to pick it up.

Noiradelic

#5 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

As long as this thread's been bumped, a reminder that the 15-episode The Story of Film starts on TCM tonight at 10 EST.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Noiradelic wrote:As long as this thread's been bumped, a reminder that the 15-episode The Story of Film starts on TCM tonight at 10 EST.
As well as an abundance of films, including The Wind, The Crowd, Greed, and plenty of other films associated with the series (I presume, having not seen it.)

criterion10

#7 Post by criterion10 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 pm

From what I understand, the version that TCM will be showing of Greed is actually the original 2+ hour cut, not the 4+ hour reconstruction with text and pictures.

Noiradelic

#8 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Yes, though TCM did show the 4 hour version in the last year/year and a half, so they'll presumably run it again at some point.

Lowry_Sam

#9 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Noiradelic wrote:Yes, though TCM did show the 4 hour version in the last year/year and a half, so they'll presumably run it again at some point.
I was quite bummed that I missed this as I was flying home from vacation right when it aired last year (on Labor Day).....and I will miss the 2 hour version again this year for the same reason....maybe one day I'll eventually get to see it.

movielocke

#10 Post by movielocke » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Cairo Station is happening this week, just to remind you to set your dvrs

knives

#11 Post by knives » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Though if you miss it a DVD does exist.

Sandman

#12 Post by Sandman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:09 pm

movielocke wrote:Cairo Station is happening this week, just to remind you to set your dvrs
Thank you for this. It follows Pather Panchali and a Story of Film episode, and is before Throne of Blood, all of which I've just set my dvr to record.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#13 Post by lacritfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:42 am

Sandman wrote:
movielocke wrote:Cairo Station is happening this week, just to remind you to set your dvrs
Thank you for this. It follows Pather Panchali and a Story of Film episode, and is before Throne of Blood, all of which I've just set my dvr to record.
Don't forget Los Olvidados on Tuesday.

Fred Holywell

#14 Post by Fred Holywell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

René Clément's "Les Maudits" ("The Damned") is on TCM Sunday, Oct. 6 @ 2:00 am ET (Monday morning).

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#15 Post by lacritfan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Paul Morrissey's Mixed Blood on TCM Sat 12/28

Jeff

#16 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Frederick Wiseman's At Berkeley airs on PBS's Independent Lens tonight.

knives

#17 Post by knives » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Though you should check your local listing. For example it's not until next week for me. I desperately wish I had DVR though as I don't think it would be healthy for me to stay up that late.

Matt

#18 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Check your local listings, though. My Minnesota PBS station is not showing it until this weekend, and only then on one of their SD digital subchannels. They'd rather show an old Audrey Hepburn documentary on their main channel tonight.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 pm

PBS here is basically just eight differing hours of Tavis Smiley

Numero Trois

#20 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Wiseman's PBS appearances seem to be frustratingly limited. When they do come on TV they'll place exactly once unlike just about everything else that PBS broadcasts. I guess this is the director's choice? Its nice that he has complete control over his work but it'd be nice if he'd loosen the strings a little.

I remember fifteen-twenty years back Titicut Follies was making the rounds. Again, it played only once and I missed it. Nothing like the lividity one felt in those days when missing a movie meant waiting years before again having the opportunity to see it.

Matt

#21 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:27 pm

I can understand them only being shown once. This one is over 4 hours long, and Wiseman is not the draw that Ken Burns is (would that he were!)

Numero Trois

#22 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Surely a Wiseman documentary wouldn't do any worse in ratings than any other Independent Lens broadcast, which are usually repeated multiple times. Considering the tight reins he keeps on his video rights, I'm willing to bet that it's his choice to limit broadcast of his work.

Of course longer movies are less likely to be rebroadcast. But PBS isn't necessarily averse to doing so. Bertolucci's Novocento was broadcast multiple times sometime in the mid-90s. And that cut of course was around four hours long.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#23 Post by lacritfan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Minkin

#24 Post by Minkin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:33 am

Nothing Lasts Forever is getting a repeat showing on TCM - May 30th.
Chimes at Midnight will be playing on TCM - May 15th
Here's Your Life is also playing, but the date in May escapes me.
Naruse's Ginza Cosmetics (1951) + Wife (1953) - May 31st

What with the plethora of posts every week in the UK thread, it is a bit sad to find this thread so empty.I'd imagine someone would be able to post about interesting films playing each month, just on TCM alone. I always go through the TCM schedule for the upcoming month - near the end of the current month and jot down everything that I plan to see. Naturally, with a DVR that's always teetering around 85-90% full (and what with TimeWarner dumping the SD versions of channels, the bastards) - the reality of my list usually works out far less than everything I want to see (but fortunately TCM seems to repeat a lot of the same movies).

Some of May's highlights that I'm looking forward to:
Roller Boogie (1979) -5/2
Miss Mend (1926) -5/10 (DVR probably won't be able to handle)
Tower of London (1939) -5/18
Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) -5/28

Not looking forward to, but am forced to record it + probably watch: ABBA: The Movie (1977) - 5/2.

Anyone have any other recommendations for TCM's May schedule? Things they're looking forward to seeing?

Ribs

#25 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 am

I'm pretty curious at the quality of the masters they'll be using for the Welles stuff - any chance that the Othello could be the new restoration, for instance?

I went through the schedule for the next three months over the weekend and earmarked any Best Picture nominees I'd not seen, totaling around fifty not counting those already on Netflix streaming. Nothing too exciting, mind - though I did, of course, also set a recording for the ABBA movie, which I am far too excited for.