Squirrels to the Nuts (Peter Bogdanovich, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
ianungstad

Squirrels to the Nuts (Peter Bogdanovich, 2015)

#1 Post by ianungstad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Peter Bogdanovich is set to direct the screwball comedy Squirrel to the Nuts. The film is being produced by Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. There isn't much more info than that at the moment...but it's enough to pique my interest.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: New Films in Production

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:45 pm

ianungstad wrote:Peter Bogdanovich is set to direct the screwball comedy Squirrel to the Nuts. The film is being produced by Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. There isn't much more info than that at the moment...but it's enough to pique my interest.
He talks about this in The Killing of the Unicorn, it's the movie he was going to make with Dorothy Stratten before she was murdered. It's about a pianist who falls in love with a ghost, if memory serves. The title is of course from Cluny Brown

The Narrator Returns

Re: Peter Bogdanovich aka Captain Ascot

#4 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri May 25, 2012 7:11 am

Hmm. Bogdanovich's older films have heart, but Squirrel to the Nuts has a squirrel to the nuts.

Jeff

Squirrels to the Nuts (Peter Bogdanovich, 2014)

#5 Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Peter Bogdanovich's next feature, produced by Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach, begins filming in New York in June. Formerly Squirrels to Nuts, it now has the rather generic-sounding title She's Funny That Way. The cast includes Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Cybil Shepherd, Eugene Levy, Kathryn Hahn and Brie Larson. Boggy wrote the script with Louise Stratten.

hearthesilence

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#6 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Jennifer Aniston
Jeff wrote:Peter Bogdanovich's next feature begins filming in New York in June. Formerly Squirrels to Nuts, it now has the rather generic-sounding title She's Funny That Way. The cast includes Jennifer Aniston.
My guarded enthusiasm for this project has flat out died.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Squirrels to the Nuts (Peter Bogdanovich, 2014)

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 pm

The title's back to Squirrels to the Nuts and has been filming in NYC for the past couple weeks, so I guess it's actually happening! Imogen Poots has replaced Brie Larson and Richard Lewis has joined the cast.

Set pic of Aniston and Bogdanovich:

Black Hat

#8 Post by Black Hat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I was wondering why Owen Wilson was with Bogdanovich in my friend's building last week. Bogdanovich isn't exactly Mr. Happy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:24 pm

If you went from Oscar-nominated auteur to director of A Saintly Switch, you'd be grumpy too

Black Hat

#10 Post by Black Hat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Fair point altho I've never been a big fan of his films or his 'I am the authority on Orson Welles". Full disclosure, my father detested him so I may be under his influence.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Well, Welles did live in Bogdanovich's guest house for a couple years, so I'm sure he was privy to a great number of things. Cybill Shepherd's insights in her book were on the level of "Orson loved Fudgesicles and Sesame Street," so it could be worse!

kingofthejungle

#12 Post by kingofthejungle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:If you went from Oscar-nominated auteur to director of A Saintly Switch, you'd be grumpy too
The imdb page for A Saintly Switch describes it as a "high concept comedy". :o

Matt

#13 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:36 pm

kingofthejungle wrote:The imdb page for A Saintly Switch describes it as a "high concept comedy". :o
I guess I'm failing to see the irony or humor in your post. It's a textbook example of a high concept comedy.

kingofthejungle

#14 Post by kingofthejungle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:59 pm

It is, isn't it?

I think the irony is in the phrase itself - it sounds so much nicer, and more credible than 'gimmicky'.

hearthesilence

#15 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:35 pm

From Cinefile Review: A last minute casting change sees Imogen Poots replace Brie Larson as co-lead of Peter Bogdanovich's comeback film, 'Squirrel To The Nuts'. The screwball comedy has Owen Wilson playing a married theatre director, who cannot resist the charms of Poots' character, a former prostitute-turned-actress. Two of America's leading directors, Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach, have joined forces to produce.

Besides Aniston being in the film, the story feels a wee bit too close to the side of Bogdanovich that I dislike the most, i.e. the horny philandering cad.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Kathryn Hahn wrote:Along similar stripper-bombshell lines, you were just in Peter Bogdanovich's latest film “Squirrel To The Nuts.”
Yes, that just ended. I came home yesterday from it, so it is real fresh. My job on this movie was to make Peter laugh by saying the most inappropriate things I possibly could, and it worked. He's really hilarious.

Who do you play in the film?
I play Delta Simmons, who's the actress married to Owen Wilson's character — she kind of loses it when she finds out he has a bit of a hooker problem. It was so fun, like “What's Up Doc” — old-school farce, with the same kind of timing. It's a different type of comedy than I've been used to; I did a big farce on Broadway a while ago, “Boeing Boeing,” and this felt similar to that engine-wise. The timing is so similar to that, so much more technical, with hotel doors slamming at the right moment. But making it was so heavenly, and Peter was on it — short days, he always knew what he wanted, and the cast — I mean, he got Michael Shannon to do three lines, Tatum O'Neal's in it…the cast of characters is insane.

Professor Wagstaff

#18 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm

First clips from She's Funny That Way, formerly Squirrel to the Nuts.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: She's Funny That Way (Peter Bogdanovich, 2014)

#20 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 pm

I thought you were being facetious since I'd never heard of them, but they paid $4.5 million for it, so that's a real vote of confidence and a wide release we're looking at here at least!

knives

#21 Post by knives » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:37 pm

They've done an interesting job so far with them clearly paying through the nose on marketing their projects even if half of them flop hard. They also distributed that recent Rob Reiner film.

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:I thought you were being facetious since I'd never heard of them, but they paid $4.5 million for it, so that's a real vote of confidence and a wide release we're looking at here at least!
I was indeed being facetious, as I'd never heard of them either. I'm sure you're right about a wide release though, and it will certainly make it's money back. Wilson and Aniston still have some commercial appeal.

matrixschmatrix

#23 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:42 pm

How could any movie fail to sell with a name like Imogen Poots on the marquee?

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: She's Funny That Way (Peter Bogdanovich, 2015)

#25 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Turns out Clarius dropped their plans for this—must've been a recent decision, since they announced a release date less than a month and a half ago—and it's been picked up by Lionsgate's new theatrical/VOD division. The new release date is August 14th, or a week earlier than Clarius planned.