75-78 Polish Cinema Classics Volume II

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

Re: Polish Cinema Classics Volume Two

#51 Post by Bikey » Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 pm

The Promised Land reviewed by Gordon Thomas at Bright Lights Film Journal

Bikey

#52 Post by Bikey » Sun May 05, 2013 2:11 pm

A fabulous 2-page review by David Jenkins in the latest Sight & Sound

Bikey

#53 Post by Bikey » Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Zanussi's ILLUMINATION reviewed at Electric Sheep

zedz

#54 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:04 am

Just dropping in to report that the Zanussi interview on the Illumination disc is one of the best director interviews I've ever seen. Second Run needs to release a lot more of his work just so I can spend more time listening to him talk about it!

The film is superb as well, of course, and the supporting short is also excellent. All together, an impeccable package.

knives

#55 Post by knives » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 am

That's the only one I haven't seen yet and I honestly don't know why. It sounds about perfect. Even minus that though this is one of the essential releases of the year.

peerpee
not perpee

#56 Post by peerpee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Blown away by ILLUMINATION. The extras are perfect too. Amazing disc. (Haven't got to the others yet!)

Yojimbo

#57 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Bikey wrote:A packed Sold Out Kinoteka Opening Night screening last night at Barbican for Wajda's THE PROMISED LAND - which looked absolutely stunning on the big screen. Tickets still available for ESCAPE FROM THE 'LIBERTY' CINEMA + screentalk with Wojciech Marczewski on Tuesday 12th at 6.30pm, and for ILLUMINATION on Friday 15th at 6.30pm with Krysztof Zanussi screentalk.
Hopefully that season makes it to Dublin. Just watched two films from the first PCC set, and I'm gagging for more
(might wait for the second set's price to drop, if I know that it's on the way)

Yojimbo

#58 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:Cine Vue:
A truly inspiring set of films, this will make an excellent addition to the shelf of any true cinema fan. These are three definite classics from Polish masters and each will leave you speechless for entirely different reasons. Whether it be the moral depravity of 19th century Lodz, a heart-wrenching polemic on censorship, or a confounding examination of humanity, they're all very much worth checking out if you get the chance.
I'm sold.
Nice notes on 'Goodbye, See You Tomorrow', Michael
And funnily enough I kept thinking of Bergman's 'Summer With Monika' - which I've only seen once, on a VHS recording from tv, about 20 years ago
I also was reminded of Rohmer, the way the city was such a significant character

Yojimbo

#59 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:03 pm

knives wrote:Wow, The Promised Land is a truly beautiful film (and transfer). Second Run has really outdone themselves with this choice of film. I'm not typically a Wadja fan, but the two films they've chosen so far to represent him are leagues above anything else I've encountered. The movie is nothing like any other Polish film I've seen with the poetic metaphor that seems to drive the filmmaking beyond the threadbones of the story. All of the shots are just so beautifully crafted like the one of the burning building with the light pouring out suggesting there's nothing beyond what we see. I can't wait to dig into the rest of the set.
I'll probably be watching Wajda's 'Innocent Sorcerers' from the first set, tonight; after loving 'Goodbye, See You Tomorrow', and 'Night Train' already.
I'm probably with you on 'Wajda', knives: 'Ashes and Diamonds', yes, and to a certain extent 'Danton', but not sold on the 'Man' duo.
But I liked the sound of The Promised Land, which reminded me of what I liked best about 'Danton'

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#60 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:09 pm

zedz wrote:Just dropping in to report that the Zanussi interview on the Illumination disc is one of the best director interviews I've ever seen. Second Run needs to release a lot more of his work just so I can spend more time listening to him talk about it!
You may not need a reminder of this, but Zannussi talking about his work is part of the plot of Kieślowski's Camera Buff!

neilist

#61 Post by neilist » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:30 pm

'Iluminacja' is listed on Amazon here as getting a separate release next year, 27 January.

Bikey

#62 Post by Bikey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 am

That's correct - Illumination will be released as a stand-alone release on January 27. The edition is identical to the one included in our Polish Cinema Classics Volume II set: same casing/inlay/booklet. It's spine number Second Run DVD 077.

Bikey

#63 Post by Bikey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:13 am

The Arts Shelf choose POLISH CINEMA CLASSICS VOLUME II as one of their 'Top Home Entertainment Releases of 2013'

Bikey

#64 Post by Bikey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 am

Sad to hear that the great Polish composer Wojciech Kilar - author of the scores for Zanussi's ILLUMINATION and Wajda's THE PROMISED LAND amongst many scores for Polanski and other landmark works - has passed away aged 81 at his home in Katowice, Poland. RIP.

multivitamin

#65 Post by multivitamin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:42 am

quite an astonishing filmography. this one for instance will always send shivers down my spine.

antnield

#66 Post by antnield » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:42 am

The Promised Land will be getting a standalone release on November 10th.

rockysds

#67 Post by rockysds » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 am

Escape from the 'Liberty' Cinema will be getting a standalone release on January 11th