MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Flanell

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3126 Post by Flanell » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:01 am

If i understand it correctly, the (wonderful) Pialat editions released by MoC have sold pretty poorly, and upgrades of these to blu has been out of the question. But with these new Gaumont restorations coming out i wonder if that still is the case? Would blu's of these fare better than their dvd counterparts? I definitely would make the upgrade. I know that the french editions are english friendly, but still. I love the care MoC put into their editions and i would love to have them put out on blu by them.

Is the rights for Loulou and Van Gogh still with AE (their DVDs are long oop)? Otherwise it would be nice if MoC at least picked up those two, and maybe Le Garcu and La Maison des bois (admittedly a haven't seen those two and i don't know if they are forthcoming on blue as well).

Anyway, Pialat was totally unknown to me prior to seeing the MoC discs and i would like to take the time to thank Nick and the rest of the MoC team for having them put out in the first place. Watching them were a revelation.

Here's a review of the Nous Ne Vielliirons Pas Ensemble blu;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nous-ne-v ... 51/#Review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RossyG

#3127 Post by RossyG » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:59 pm

I'd definitely buy the Pialat films on Blu from MoC. If they don't release them, I'll get the Gaumonts, but I'll wait a couple of years to give MoC the time to change their minds.

rwaits

#3128 Post by rwaits » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 pm

As would I. I own every DVD but would double dip without hesitation.

zedz

#3129 Post by zedz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Flanell wrote:If i understand it correctly, the (wonderful) Pialat editions released by MoC have sold pretty poorly, and upgrades of these to blu has been out of the question. But with these new Gaumont restorations coming out i wonder if that still is the case? Would blu's of these fare better than their dvd counterparts? I definitely would make the upgrade. I know that the french editions are english friendly, but still. I love the care MoC put into their editions and i would love to have them put out on blu by them.
I'd love to see MoC Blus of these films, but that's the kind of wishful thinking ("the reason nobody bought these discs is that there was a mass market holding out for BluRay upgrades that nobody knew would ever happen!") that sends companies into bankruptcy.

Gaumont adding English subs to their Blus is probably a concession that the English language market for these films will not sustain licensed releases, and my hat's off to Gaumont for going the extra mile. Roll on Le Garcu and (especially) La maison des bois. Now, if MoC want a Quixotic Pialat Blu project to get their teeth into, they couldn't do better than the latter.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3130 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:30 pm

zedz wrote:
Gaumont adding English subs to their Blus is probably a concession that the English language market for these films will not sustain licensed releases, and my hat's off to Gaumont for going the extra mile. Roll on Le Garcu and (especially) La maison des bois. Now, if MoC want a Quixotic Pialat Blu project to get their teeth into, they couldn't do better than the latter.
Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath as Gaumont have said that they are at the end of their Pialat upgrades so Garcu and Maison aren't on the slate, at least as far as the for-seeable future is concerned.
Van Gogh looks cracking so unless AE still have the rights and are willing to upgrade imminently I'd plump for that if you haven't got it already.

zedz

#3131 Post by zedz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:46 pm

I will be mopping up all the Gaumont Blus the next time I need to order something from amazon.fr. (Hmmm - those new Mekas titles. . . )

So, it looks like we'll have to start re-lobbying MoC for a semi-suicidal subtitled Maison des bois!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3132 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Well those Maisons des Bois might well go out in a blaze of glory and possibly immolate MoC at the same time.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3133 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote: Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath as Gaumont have said that they are at the end of their Pialat upgrades so Garcu and Maison aren't on the slate, at least as far as the for-seeable future is concerned.
Jerome Soulet said that they might revisit Passe ton bac d'abord and La gueule ouverte in HD later on (and maybe do a BD boxset at some point), but Le garçu has been deemed too difficult financially and has only been released in the Gaumont à la demande collection.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3134 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:38 pm

tenia wrote: Le garçu has been deemed too difficult financially and has only been released in the Gaumont à la demande collection.
Really, when did that get released ? I try and keep an eye on all Gaumont releases but that must have slipped past.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3135 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
tenia wrote: Le garçu has been deemed too difficult financially and has only been released in the Gaumont à la demande collection.
Really, when did that get released ? I try and keep an eye on all Gaumont releases but that must have slipped past.
Oops, it seems I talked without checking before. I mismatched with Loulou, which was first released in the Gaumont à la demande before its HD upgrade. Loulou is only available as part of the Pialat Vol 2 DVD boxset.
Sorry for the false hope... :oops:

Stefan Andersson

#3136 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 am

tenia -- you mean Le Garcu is/was available only in the Pialat box no. 2, right?

I asked about Le Garcu on another forum. Jerome Soulet of Gaumont told me that Polygram has rights to Le Garcu. Mr. Soulet´s predecessors at Gaumont bought the rights to Garcu solely for the box set.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3137 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm

You can find Le garçu on DVD in this boxset : http://boutique.gaumont.fr/fr/produit_5 ... _stock.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, maybe the rights has gone to Polygram, but there are still lots of stock of the boxset.

Calvin

#3138 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 am

Restored Caligari to premiere at Berlinale 2014

MoC have been waiting years for a restoration to bring it into the collection.

eerik

#3139 Post by eerik » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Twitter: In two weeks' time we'll be announcing our June + July lineup! – incl. a rare, sought-after cinephile treasure... Exact date to be announced soon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3140 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Whew, I was beginning to worry, what with all the delayed releases recently.

perkizitore

#3141 Post by perkizitore » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Limite? [-o<

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3142 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Or, also on the WCF tip, The Night of Counting the Years?

zedz

#3143 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm

eerik wrote: incl. a rare, sought-after cinephile treasure...
Priming each and every one of us for a specific, very personal disapppointment!

But I have faith that MoC won't be using those words lightly (for, say, a film already available in a decent edition internationally).

Calvin

#3144 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 pm

The Mother and the Whore, perhaps? Out 1? A Page of Madness? They would all qualify, that's for sure.

Forrest Taft

#3145 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Out 1? C.H.U.D.?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3146 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Speaking of all of these suggestions, is everyone aware that MoC supposedly takes requests?
Eureka wrote:We always love hearing what films you'd like to see in the Masters of Cinema series, so feel free to tweet us @eurekavideo with the hastag #bringmetomoc with your suggestions, who knows maybe we'll pick someones suggestion as a forthcoming release?!

RossyG

#3147 Post by RossyG » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:07 am

eerik wrote:Twitter: In two weeks' time we'll be announcing our June + July lineup! – incl. a rare, sought-after cinephile treasure...
Presumably 1978's Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It's got the lot: Frankie Howerd, the Bee-Gees, Peter Frampton, Steve Martin, Vince from Just Good Friends...

Finch

#3148 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 am

Dare we hope that it's Page of Madness they're implying....

SpiderBaby

#3149 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:51 pm

eerik wrote:incl. a rare, sought-after cinephile treasure
The Last Movie finally?

med

#3150 Post by med » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 pm

What about A Brighter Summer Day?