Awards Season 2012

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Awards Season 2012

#276 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Meh + acclaim = terrible.

knives

#277 Post by knives » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Does that mean acclaim=terrible-meh?

dustybooks

#278 Post by dustybooks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm in the midst (almost done, thank heavens) of watching all of the Best Picture winners so I especially enjoyed this poster. I hate Rain Man but the statue for it is pretty clever. My favorites are those for Mrs. Miniver and The Great Ziegfeld though.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#279 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm

captveg

#280 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

My Oscar predictions:

Picture: Argo
Director: Lee, Life of Pi
Actor: Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Actress: Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Supporting Actor: Jones, Lincoln
Supporting Actress: Hathaway, Les Miserables
Original Screenplay: Moonrise Kingdom
Adapted Screenplay: Lincoln
Animated Feature: Wreck-It Ralph
Foreign Language Film: Amour
Documentary Feature: Searching for Sugar Man
Production Design: Les Miserables
Cinematography: Life of Pi
Costume Design: Les Miserables
Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Makeup & Hairstyling: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Score: Life of Pi
Song: Skyfall
Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Sound Mixing: Les Miserables
Visual Effects: Life of Pi
Animated Short: Paperman
Documentary Short: Open Heart
Live Action Short: Curfew

Argo becomes just the second film to win only one Oscar with that one being Best Picture (Grand Hotel being the other film) and only third film to win Best Picture without its director being nominated for Best Director (Grand Hotel, Driving Miss Daisy).

knives

#281 Post by knives » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 pm

I'd agree with all of that except animated and documentary. To the best of my knowledge Disney is putting its muscle behind Frakenweenie and Paranorman seems like a good chance. As for the docs they've rarely if ever gone to the great and obvious choice so it will probably be Bully or something like that which wins.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#282 Post by lacritfan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 am

[url=tp://www.theasc.com/asc_news/News_Articles/News_448.php]SKYFALL Earns Top Honors from Cinematographers[/url]

Lemmy Caution

#283 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 am

knives wrote:I'd agree with all of that except animated and documentary. To the best of my knowledge Disney is putting its muscle behind Frakenweenie and Paranorman seems like a good chance. As for the docs they've rarely if ever gone to the great and obvious choice so it will probably be Bully or something like that which wins.
Have you seen the nominated docs?
I thought Sugarman was entirely fine, but also a bit padded out with inessential talking heads and attempts to impart greater significance.
While 5 Broken Cameras was quite powerful, presenting a village in turmoil, and then focusing in on how one family is affected, while also stepping back to see the wider conflict.
Concentric circles. Layers of hurt and mistrust. The intense immediacy of most of the footage is riveting.

But only having seen 2 of the 5, I won't pronounce on which is the obvious choice.
I plan to pick up The Invisible War, but had stayed away so far due to the subject matter. Kind of a depressing bunch of doc nominees, so the mild uplift of Sugarman could slip through.

As for animation, I preferred Brave which had a great look and strong characterizations.
Frankenweenie kept it simple and was very good within its limits. Entertaining. But I felt like Paranorman was too flashy with its effects, which seemed to be the main concern of the film.
I need to get to Wreck-it Ralph.

knives

#284 Post by knives » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 pm

When has seeing the nominated films affected the voters let alone some moron on the Internet? I was mostly going on critical evaluation.

stroszeck

#285 Post by stroszeck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 am

Surprised you guys think Lee is the frontrunner for the Best Director. I think the Academy will go for Spielberg (even though I personally don't think he deserves it for this outing.)

Black Hat

#286 Post by Black Hat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 am

I saw The Gatekeepers the other week which was excellent, really can't go wrong with that, 5 Broken Cameras or How To Survive A Plague. Sugarman was good but it was really carried more by how interesting the story is rather than anything special about the film. I liked 5 Broken Cameras the most but see How To Survive A Plague winning.

captveg

#287 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 am

stroszeck wrote:Surprised you guys think Lee is the frontrunner for the Best Director. I think the Academy will go for Spielberg (even though I personally don't think he deserves it for this outing.)
Spielberg is the favorite, but I'm looking for a minor upset with Lee. Same goes with Moonrise Kingdom for Original Screenplay - the clear favorite going into the show is Django Unchained, but I'm calling an upset. Going with the favorites in every category is too dull of a "pick the winners" guess.

antnield

#288 Post by antnield » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Berlin Film Festival 2013

Golden Bear: Child's Pose (Calin Peter Netzer)

Grand Jury Prize: An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker (Danis Tanovic)

Alfred Bauer Prize for Innovation: Vic + Flo Saw a Bear (Denis Cote)

Silver Bear (Best Director): David Gordon Green, Prince Avalanche

Best Actress: Paulina Garcia, Gloria

Best Actor: Nazif Mujic, An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker

Outstanding Artistic Contribution: Azaiz Zhambakiyev (cinematographer), Harmony Lessons

Best Screenplay: Closed Curtain (Jafar Panahi)

Special Mention for Golden Bear: Layla Fourie (Pia Marais) and Promised Land (Gus Van Sant)

NON-COMPETITION AWARDS

Best Debut Feature: The Rocket (Kim Mordaunt)

Special Mention for Best Debut Feature: The Battle of Tabato (Joao Viana)

Golden Bear for Short Film: The Runaway (Jean-Bernard Marlin)

Silver Bear for Short Film: Der Ruhe Bleibt (Stefan Kriekhaus)

Feego

#289 Post by Feego » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:29 pm

This isn't related to the current awards season, but I had to post it somewhere. Did you ever want to see what Barry Lyndon or Bergman's The Magic Flute would look like as groovy 70s musicals?

Professor Wagstaff

#290 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:17 am

It was charming to see costume design winner Ulla-Britt Soderlund donning Barry Lyndon wardrobe and greeting Telly Savalas with a bow. I'm equally saddened to learn that her career was without any major credits after her Oscar win and she died rather young in 1985.

Feego

#291 Post by Feego » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 am

Absolutely, her appearance and acceptance speech were pure class (a terrific antidote to the goofy costume presentation). While most of her credits afterward are apparently not widely known outside of Sweden, I'm not sure it's fair to say that she had no major credits. It seems she remained quite busy in the years following Barry Lyndon, including work on Matador, which I understand was a highly acclaimed series.

RobertB

#292 Post by RobertB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Anybody with an interest for Swedish cinema should be able to find something worth while in Den enfaldige mördaren (The Simple-Minded Murderer). It has costumes by Ulla-Britt Söderlund, including some avenging angels with golden guns. It's a passionate left wing drama in the Swedish tradition of Bo Widerberg and Roy Andersson. And it's directed by Hans Alfredson who is the father of Tomas "Let the Right One In" Alfredson.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#293 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:47 pm

part two

05. Image
04. Image
03. Image
02. Image
01. Image

Jean-Luc Garbo

#294 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:09 pm

A very entertaining list by Matt Prigge - And the Oscar Goes to Woulda, Coulda and Shoulda. Two highlights:
Best Supporting Actress

Who may win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables. You heard it here first!

Who should win: Not Anne Hathaway, who was good but wasn’t even the best one-song supporting player in Les Mis. (As ever, poor Éponine.) Amy Adams, however, is a motherfucker in The Master. Using the energy she often reserves for good, but this time for bad, she owns the intense killjoy whose belief in her husband’s bullshit is stronger than his own.

Who should have won overall: Cécille de France kills it in the Dardennes’ The Kid With a Bike, playing an impromptu caretaker whose cold demeanor masks a bottomless selflessness.

Best Actress
Who may win: Oh, you know: Jessica Chastain or Jennifer Lawrence. Flip a coin.

Who should win: It depends which you prefer: internalized to the point of inhumanity or forthright to the point of inhumanity. Chastain’s agent in Zero Dark Thirty is so inside herself that she’s not even likable once she starts telling off superiors. That’s a compliment, and another sign at how the film toys with audience expectations. Meanwhile, Lawrence takes a dreaded character type—the Manic Pixie Dream Girl—and makes her a flesh-and-blood person, capable of the full spectrum of emotions. So, flip a coin.

Who should have won overall: Neither is as incredible as Greta Gerwig in Damsels in Distress. Her aloof, seemingly mildly intoxicated mien clashes bizarrely with Whit Stillman’s patented urbane chatter, creating a perfect storm of constant amusement. Also, where the fuck are Rachel Weisz (The Deep Blue Sea) and Ann Dowd (Compliance)?

(My emphasis on Gerwig's undeservedly overlooked performance.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#295 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 pm

He should change his "Who should have won" to "Who maybe possibly should have been considered for a nomination maybe"

Grand Illusion

#296 Post by Grand Illusion » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:A very entertaining list by Matt Prigge - And the Oscar Goes to Woulda, Coulda and Shoulda.
I'm glad someone else is giving love to Cosmopolis. Probably my favorite North American film this year.

Murdoch

#297 Post by Murdoch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Finally someone gives a nod to Damsels which all but disappeared from everyone's radar (but is currently my favorite film of the past several years).

edit: Also, is no one going to point out that someone posted about a Swedish film from the 80s in this thread? (outside of me, that is)

Feego

#298 Post by Feego » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Murdoch wrote:edit: Also, is no one going to point out that someone posted about a Swedish film from the 80s in this thread? (outside of me, that is)
That was in response to a video I linked to above showing Swedish designer Ulla-Britt Soderlund winning an Oscar for Barry Lyndon. Not entirely on topic, but it started out Oscar-related at least.

Finch

#299 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:36 am

Completed Oscar ballot with commentary

As the Playlist says, it's depressing and hilarious at once to read.

Here is the original Hollywood Reporter article with more quotes.

Zot!

#300 Post by Zot! » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:53 am

Finch wrote:Completed Oscar ballot with commentary

As the Playlist says, it's depressing and hilarious at once to read.

Here is the original Hollywood Reporter article with more quotes.
I actually don't think it's that bad or suprising. That kind of insular, lowest-common-denominator group-think defines Hollywood. For some reason the general public has decided that the Oscars was somehow supposed to reflect their opinions, or measure quality. But, in all fairness this event is concieved as a way to celebrate the industry and placate their egos, so this ballot is appropriate. At least he made an effort.