DVD Library

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
zedz

Re: DVD Library

#376 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Michael: That's not just LPs, by the way, that's everything.

Gregory: I've never run into anybody quite that crazy (I'll usually flee before it gets that extreme), but I did know people who'd want to pick up expensive Japanese pressings of Kate Bush singles, say, just because they featured a different photo on the cover. Basically, once it gets beyond being about the music, it gets beyond me. And I'm the kind of guy who can get quite excited about slightly-different mono mixes and marvel that the supremely anal compilation of multiple single mixes on that recent Roxy Music box set managed to leave off the version of 'The Numberer' with the extended intro, so I realise that I'm completely insane by most normal measures.

matrixschmatrix

#377 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Insanity being obviously entirely relative. A friend of mine, to whom I generally give DVDs that aren't worth selling when I upgrade, was legitimately baffled when I had a castoff copy of the Casablanca blu, and sort of couldn't understand the idea of upgrading within a format.

I think that, while it's silly to pretend that someone who owns 1000 DVDs or blus isn't a 'collector', it's generally a fairly utilitarian hobby, slipcover and steelbook enthusiasts aside. There are certainly some people who will deliberately collect something like Criterion's original printing of M or what have you despite its demonstrable inferiority to the later releases purely out of a desire to have something that's out of print, but that's very much the exception rather than the rule- for the most part, it's a type of collection where selection is based almost entirely on content, and there's little sentimental attachment to any given actual copy of a DVD or blu. That's completely different from the comic book or baseball card collectors I know, and fairly different from the way I look at my (admittedly modest) LP and 45 collections- in those cases, it seems like there's a strong sentimental, historical, or autobiographical attachment to the given object, and not just to whatever it contains.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#378 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am

zedz wrote:Michael: That's not just LPs, by the way, that's everything. .
I don't count DVDs or CDs either. ;~}

Mainly I obsessed over composers, trying to assemble complete collections of Bach, Beethoven , Chopin, Haydn, Mahler, Mozart, Shostakovich, Wagner (among others), plus Broadway music and Early Music and World Music.

Mr Sausage

#379 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 am

There is also that distinction between collectors obsessed with the collecting and those obsessed with the medium, eg. someone who accrues vinyl because he loves to listen to it vs someone who doesn't listen to it and just values it as a collection of objects.

TMDaines

#380 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

Mr Sausage wrote:There is also that distinction between collectors obsessed with the collecting and those obsessed with the medium, eg. someone who accrues vinyl because he loves to listen to it vs someone who doesn't listen to it and just values it as a collection of objects.
That's the distinction I previously made. The amount some people spend on collecting vinyl or pulp fiction, with no intention of ever actually enjoying it, is quite amazing.
Last edited by TMDaines on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Sausage

#381 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am

TMDaines wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:There is also that distinction between collectors obsessed with the collecting and those obsessed with the medium, eg. someone who accrues vinyl because he loves to listen to it vs someone who doesn't listen to it and just values it as a collection of objects.
That's the distinction I previously made. The amount of people some people spend on collecting vinyl or pulp fiction, with no intention of ever actually enjoying it, is quite amazing.
So you did. I must've skipped over that post for some reason.

vsski

#382 Post by vsski » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Really fascinating to read everyone's opinion here, as I often wondered where I fit in. And I agree all is relative and in the end for me the question is, does collecting give the person a sense of joy or is it becoming an obsessive compulsion with many possible negative side effects, such as issues with significant others, financial woes, etc. And I admit that sometimes it can be both.

Reading the comments I definitely fall into the more extreme category, as I do collect some editions simply for completist reasons (e.g. I will not give away an older Criterion DVD version if the newer BD isn't an exact replicate, even though I know it's unlikely I will ever watch the older version again).

However, my main reason since childhood has always been the enjoyment of movies. I started with recording VHS tapes from broadcasts of the films I liked, then started collecting soundtracks both for the music but also to have a physical product that typically contained the artwork of the film I liked and then tried to get into LD, but simply couldn't afford it.
So when DVD came around I immediately jumped on the band wagon and quickly amassed a big collection, as finally some movies I only had read about over the years became available for me to see (and many turned out to be disappointments and ended up in the shelf never to be watched again - if I can get a decent return on eBay I will occasionally sell some of the ones I don't like). When BD came around it was a little bit of a different matter. Any movie I don't already own and can buy on BD I will over any DVD edition, but if I already own the DVD, it's a different matter. If the BD is acknowledged to be superior or has great additional supplements, I will double dip, if it belongs to a part of my collection where I try to have the complete collection, I will double dip, but otherwise I keep the DVD. I will say though that my DVD buying has been greatly curtailed by BDs, as I now only pick up DVDs, which I believe will not be issued on BD any time soon or likely ever.

While I do belong to the type of collector who actually watches everything he owns (although my kevyip is typically at least 6 to 9 months of watching) and love to have the physical media displayed in my home - and so far have never watched a single movie on a streamed medium - my biggest problem is space (especially since I also have a huge Comic Book Collection). So sadly I recently took the step of crating up over 1000 of my older DVDs and put them in a storage facility with the hope of eventually having a different space where I can display them all again - and it is that part where I think the fine line between love for something and insanity kicks in.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#383 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

I've always considered myself a collector but lately I've been more than I usually would, even stuff I had no intention of really ever owning since there is now the fear physical media is going away and I'd like my son and daughter to have easy access to certain films. My son is only two months so I don't even know if he'll really care, but my daughter has taken a shine to movies. She goes through my collection constantly and asks me about them and we've sat and watched many together, of course limiting them to the stuff that would be more or less appropriate (no Apocalypes Now just yet...) That has set me off into buying many titles, and I've added quite a few I haven't watched yet since picking them up, though I've at least seen most of them before.

tojoed

#384 Post by tojoed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm

You can always tell the difference between a music lover and a record collector by asking him the name of the record he is holding. A music lover will say, for example, Brahms Violin Concerto by Johanna Martzy. A record collector will say, Columbia 33CX 1165, blue and gold.

colinr0380

#385 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:28 am

I certainly agree that it seems silly not to concentrate on the actual work itself, instead on all the packaging or surrounding paraphenalia, which seems a little like not seeing the wood for the trees, but then I'm likely guilty of that as well (I do like my cataloguing!)

On that note: where does everyone stand on extra features? I'm honestly not too bothered about the audio or visual upgrade of the film itself (although I do like it to look its best and I've just spent the weekend surrounded by cables and remote controls as I upgraded from my CRT television and attached a surround sound system to the Blu-ray player for the first time! So that might lead to a change of mind!) but I find that different extras are often the thing that inspire me to re-buy another version of the same film. Even more annoying is when extras are variable between regions or some get lost, while others are added, during an upgrade.

Jonathan S

#386 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:19 am

tojoed wrote:A music lover will say, for example, Brahms Violin Concerto by Johanna Martzy. A record collector will say, Columbia 33CX 1165, blue and gold.
And a dealer will say, "Three hundred quid to you, mate!" Although by that definition I'm not a record collector - though I still have thousands of LPs and 78s - I wish I'd kept the slightly marked copy of 33 CX 1165 I sold twenty years ago for £18...

tojoed

#387 Post by tojoed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 am

Bad luck, Jonathan. Someone got a bargain from you there. I've kept mine and I was also left by my late uncle the three Bach records, which go for insane money should I ever need it.

didi-5

#388 Post by didi-5 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 am

Well, now I know what a kevyip is, I can only join in and say I have a lot of unwatched stuff, but that I don't buy DVDs on a whim. It just so happens that in the genres I collect (silents, musicals, archive TV, period dramas, Shakespeare, etc.) there is an awful lot out there!

I originally arranged them alphabetically by genre (TV, films, plays, silents, musicals) but the overspill(s) are just straight alphabetical in various nooks and crannies. I also have them listed in a spreadsheet so I can keep track of what I have bought without double dipping. I tend to move single disc purchases into slim cases for space and practicality. All the titles are on show as I like the look of them.

Total number, around 3,000 I think. Possibly more as I also have several boxes full of those freebie DVDs that come with newspapers, in their cardboard sleeves, but they are in the bottom of a cupboard!

Numero Trois

#389 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I've currently got an eleven year backlog! .
So do I. Thankfully, my kevyip pile numbers merely about a hundred. But couple that with hundreds of unopened LPs, CDs and books....

Not to mention unwatched TCM movies copied on VHS tapes going back to the late nineties.... and what's on my external hard drive...

Murdoch

#390 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I've imposed a statute of limitations on my kevyip: if it's been a few years and the disc is going for a relatively high price then off it goes to burden another's shelf.

knives

#391 Post by knives » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm

This seems the most appropriate place for this question. Anyways one of the bookshelves I use to store my DVDs died last night and I was hoping for some recommendations on better shelving units/ places to buy them. Thanks ahead of time.

triodelover

#392 Post by triodelover » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

knives wrote:This seems the most appropriate place for this question. Anyways one of the bookshelves I use to store my DVDs died last night and I was hoping for some recommendations on better shelving units/ places to buy them. Thanks ahead of time.
In the past, I've used Levenger's shallow book boxes, but they don't have them on their site anymore and seem to be going out of the furniture business. I've had zero luck trying to find something of that quality. Most of the stuff is pressboard and falls apart after a few months.

As a result, I went to built-ins in the current house. Depending on the size and finish, having someone do built-ins can be pretty price competitive, particularly if you need a lot of shelving space and can go with something like painted MDF (as opposed to hardwood veneered plywood).

knives

#393 Post by knives » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Unfortunately I'm just a renter so that won't do. Thanks anyway.

hearthesilence

#394 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Free standing shelving from IKEA? I rent too, but one of my first roommates installed these before I moved in and the landlord didn't have a problem with them. Our set-up isn't quite the same - this one only has one "column" of shelves, ours has several that we place side-by-side, with more shelves in each column - but regardless it's really nice for DVDs and Blu-Rays. We used to keep hardcover books on them, which were a lot heavier, and it handled them fine.

Matt

#395 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:11 pm

IKEA's Billy bookcases are sized for DVDs, pretty sturdy (as far as IKEA products go), inexpensive, and come in several decorator colors.

TMDaines

#396 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm

The Billies sound like what you want. I really wish I had gone for a couple of them in the bigger size.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#397 Post by Drucker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I do the following for my CDs, but it would work with DVDs, too. I actually have one of these bookshelves, and I put a banker box full of CDs (I fit between 80-90 CDs in each box) in each cube.

Granted, I don't get the pleasure of staring at my CD collection, but it easily fits my whole collection. Plus, I cannot stress enough how easy this thing is to dis-assemble and move.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#398 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm

If you're ever moving or storing DVDs, let me recommend getting the USPS to send you free priority flat rate boxes (You want "Large Flat Rate"). They will actually send you between 25 and 250 boxes at a time (in 25 box increments) and these things are the perfect size for holding about two dozen DVDs/Blu-rays and best of all, completely free, even shipping. Not only are these perfect for moving (You'll only try big boxes once, believe me), but they are durable and work great for storage. Given that I'm not setting down roots where I live now, I actually just keep all my titles in numbered boxes and use an open Word file to keep track of everything.

knives

#399 Post by knives » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks, I think I'll go with Dom's idea for now and do the Billie's once I move out.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#400 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:If you're ever moving or storing DVDs, let me recommend getting the USPS to send you free priority flat rate boxes (You want "Large Flat Rate"). They will actually send you between 25 and 250 boxes at a time (in 25 box increments) and these things are the perfect size for holding about two dozen DVDs/Blu-rays and best of all, completely free, even shipping. Not only are these perfect for moving (You'll only try big boxes once, believe me), but they are durable and work great for storage. Given that I'm not setting down roots where I live now, I actually just keep all my titles in numbered boxes and use an open Word file to keep track of everything.
Tobias Fünke: Do you see me more as the respected dramatic actor or more of the beloved comic actor?

Carl Weathers: Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going.

Tobias Fünke: Yes, that's fine, but I would like to focus on my acting, Mr. Weathers. I did give you my last $1, 100.

Carl Weathers: Let me tell you a little story about acting. I was doing this Showtime movie, Hot Ice with Anne Archer, never once touched my per diem. I'd go to Craft Service, get some raw veggies, bacon, Cup-A-Soup... baby, I got a stew going.

Tobias Fünke: [pause] I think I'd like my money back.