Gaumont French Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Blu-ray, in General

#201 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Bluray.com reviews Antoine et Antoinette and it appears to be another botched job.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#202 Post by Drucker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

triodelover

#203 Post by triodelover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm

To be fair, Svet does say the following:
There are traces of denoising corrections throughout the entire film. However, Modigliani of Montparnasse looks far more pleasing than Antoine et Antoinette. In fact, excluding the darker sequences where the denoising corrections become painfully obvious (see screencapture #16), in motion definition seems quite good. (Emphasis mine.) Where there is plenty of light, clarity and even image depth are also pleasing. Color saturation is decent, but it is easy to tell that without the denoising corrections it would have been substantially better. There are no traces of sharpening corrections. Also, there are no damage marks, large specks, cuts, warps, or stains. There are no serious stability issues to report in this review either. To sum it all up, Modigliani of Montparnasse is yet another beautifully restored by Gaumont classic film - and this time it really does show - which has been unnecessarily degrained. Fortunately, in motion the film looks quite good.
Comparing the screen grabs it appears that Antoine et Antoinette is quite a bit worse, despite the numerical scores. (As an aside, I really wish things like scoring in reviews would just go away.) Not saying Les Amants is what it should be, particularly since it appears the elements were there to make it something special, but "botched" seems harsh. The trend is disturbing since Gaumont has been one of the most consistent French labels when it comes to Blu-ray restos.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#204 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm

A lot of Gaumont releases have been reviewed in France as visibly denoised, and it has been loudly written on DVD Classik, where Jerome Soulet, the director of the video editing dept at Gaumont, is very active. He has since answered that it has been taken in account for 2013, and that the "cahier des charges" at Eclair has been reviewed according to this.

Hopefully, the wild denoising will be a thing from the past at Gaumont, but 2012 has seen too many Gaumont calalog releases being plagued with it, especially when you recall the tremendous job done on numerous movies (La traversée de Paris, Les yeux sans visage, 8 1/2...).

triodelover

#205 Post by triodelover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Hate to hear that Gaumont are going in the wrong direction. The English friendly French Cancan, Elena et les hommes and Les Tontons flingueurs (crazy menu and all) were superb. Even A Man Escaped looked very good in motion despite the chroma noise effects mostly early on. I hope someone like MoC picks up the Beckers and gives us better results.

martin

#206 Post by martin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 am

I don't think it was mentioned in the review at blu-ray.com, but what struck me the most with the Antoine et Antoinette blu-ray was some severe banding compression artefacts. It's quite hard to capture and see these artefacts on a still frame, but it's quite visible in motion.

Perhaps a bit of banding is visible in the left part of this screencap (grabbed in uncompressed png without further compression):

http://gupl.dk/690467/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

charulata

#207 Post by charulata » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Solid review of Loulou at blu-ray.com and comments to the effect that the other two Pialats (A nos amours and Van Gogh) seem to be of a similar standard and maybe a return to form for Gaumont after several disasters.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#208 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Watched Van Gogh Blu tonight and was mightily impressed.

Perkins Cobb

#209 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Blu-ray of André Téchiné's Les Soeurs Brontë looks great, has English subs, and the film was better than I'd expected.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#210 Post by Drucker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:35 pm

I was under the impression that no Gaumont releases had English subs? Does Elena And her Men have English subs? The blu ray.com review makes it seem so.

triodelover

#211 Post by triodelover » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Drucker wrote:I was under the impression that no Gaumont releases had English subs? Does Elena And her Men have English subs? The blu ray.com review makes it seem so.
Yep, and it's pretty gorgeous to boot. A number of Gaumont blus have English subs. I think Svet's put together a list on their forum.

ellipsis7

#212 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 am

One of those upcoming Gaumont BRs with Eng subs is Antonioni's IDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN, due on 23rd May...

Is significantly more loaded with extras than the somewhat bareboned CC release...
Suppléments:
"Nu de femmes" : documentaire de Dominique Maillet, avec les témoignages de Enrica Antonioni, Andrea Crisanti, Renata Franceschi, Tonino Guerra et Aldo Tassone (HD - 45')
"Ida, la fleur du mâle" : entretien avec Christine Boisson, pas Dominique Maillet (HD - 26')
Bande-annonce (HD)

Saimo

#213 Post by Saimo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:19 am

Interesting release. Gaumont bonus features usually don't have any subtitles, but I think the 45-minute documentary should be mostly spoken in Italian, so perhpas they will include at least French subs...

JimmyTango

#214 Post by JimmyTango » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 am

Any updates concerning Jean Epstein box set?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#215 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:36 am

Epstein is coming from Potemkine and has been delayed at least until late 2013 No news on whether Finis will be included but of course is available as Gaumont a la demande

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#216 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 am

Drucker wrote:I was under the impression that no Gaumont releases had English subs?
Nowadays, a good number of Gaumont Classiques releases have english subs (but only on the main movie, not on the extras) and it has almost become an habit for these to have some.
Their 2 latest releases (Le cerveau and Alexandre le bienheureux) have Eng subs.

TMDaines

#217 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 am

Gaumont are releasing Visconti's Conversation Piece with English, Italian and French tracks! I really hope this puts the horrible Raro US Blu-ray to shame. I still have no idea how that disc got positive reviews. It looks like an oil painting at times.

TMDaines

#218 Post by TMDaines » Wed May 15, 2013 4:01 pm

I love the slim cases Gaumont use for their on-demand line. Such a better choice for one disc releases with no booklet. You wonder why they never caught on, as they're better for bricks and mortar stores, e-stores and collectors. The standard Amaray case is such a waste of space in terms of height and spine thickness.

ellipsis7

#219 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:04 am

Saimo wrote:Interesting release. Gaumont bonus features usually don't have any subtitles, but I think the 45-minute documentary should be mostly spoken in Italian, so perhpas they will include at least French subs...
Re. IDENTIFICATION D'UNE FEMME this is indeed the case... 'Nu de Femmes' (45') has optional French subs for its' i/v's in Italian with Enrica Antonioni, Renata Franceschi & Tonino Guerra while Aldo Tassone & Production Designer Andrea Crisanti speak in French unsubbed... 'Ida, la fleur du male' (26') is an i/v in French with Christine Boisson, so only clips of the film itself are subbed...

The feature has optional subs in French & English, and both the Italian & French versions of the film are presented...

The 'Nu de Femmes' extra is particularly valuable with lots of really interesting material from Enrica Antonioni & also from Script Supervisor Renata Franceschi on MA's working method on set...

rrenault

#220 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 am

Calvin wrote:This was what Nick had to say in 2011:
peerpee wrote:They did not sell anywhere near enough to warrant a Blu-ray release, I'm afraid. At this point in time, I can't see us ever upgrading any of our existing Pialat releases to Blu-ray. Our time would be better spent on titles that have not been released in the UK before.
Surely there would at least be demand for a blu-ray of A Nos Amours, which appears to be his most popular film. Isn't it one of the most viewed Criterion films on Hulu? By the way, why did MOC never release Van Gogh or Loulou, seeing as those are also owned by Gaumont, so surely it wasn't a rights issue.

knives

#221 Post by knives » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:07 am

Loulou was in the hands of another company at the time they were releasing Pialats and they just announced Van Gogh.

rrenault

#222 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:35 am

Well with that said, I'm surprised there's not enough financial incentive for MOC to upgrade their old Pialat titles to blu-ray, yet they feel they can take a gamble on Pont du Nord.

Calvin

#223 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 am

The difference being that they already know how badly the Pialats sold, while they can only guess how well (or otherwise) Le Pont du Nord will sell. If Van Gogh sells like hotcakes, I'm sure they'll look at releasing more Pialat on Blu and, likewise, based on the sales of Le Pont du Nord, they'll decide whether or not it's worth pursuing more Rivette,

RossyG

#224 Post by RossyG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 am

I didn't buy many of the Pialats - just three - because I wanted them on BD. I'll buy Van Gogh on release and would do the same with any other Pialat film that MoC upgraded. Release 'em all and I'll buy 'em all.

rrenault

#225 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:05 am

Not that it matters, but my current count is this:

Gaumont Blu-ray: A Nos Amours and Police
MOC: La Gueule Ouverte and Nous ne Vieillirons Pas Ensemble
Criterion: L'Enfance Nue
Gaumont DVD from 2010: Loulou