Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 5

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ryannichols7

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#351 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 pm

they said after the Wexner talk that they'll probably release it in 2013.

Vegeta84

#352 Post by Vegeta84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

swo17 wrote:Criterion only has time now to respond to threats, like when that guy took Facebook hostage until they agreed to release Week End.
Maybe I missed something here, but how does one hold Facebook hostage? If it takes me holding Facebook hostage to get Hunter In The Dark released, then I'm in! :-k

rspaight

#353 Post by rspaight » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm

How can I get someone to hold Facebook hostage and then neglect to release it?

Cinephrenic

#354 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Better yet, let's get hackers 'Anonymous' to spill the release slate for 2013.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#355 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Vegeta84 wrote:Maybe I missed something here, but how does one hold Facebook hostage?
Start here, and read the posts until 9/28/10.

Vegeta84

#356 Post by Vegeta84 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:32 pm

swo17 wrote:
Vegeta84 wrote:Maybe I missed something here, but how does one hold Facebook hostage?
Start here, and read the posts until 9/28/10.
Haha, that's pretty funny. I actually imagined someone shutting down Facebook until Criterion would release it. (I don't use Facebook)

Still a pretty persistent guy, and part of me wishes I would do something like that for Hunter In The Dark and Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron. Then again, if another year goes by of me constantly checking in on the 15th, I might have to. :lol:

Koukol

Re: The Dead (Huston, 1987) R4 anamorphic

#357 Post by Koukol » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:24 pm

THE DEAD is one of my most wanted on BD and would love a Criterion release with the added Kino documentary.

I saw this film in the theater (in London) during Christmas and since its debut on VHS I watch it every New Year as a tradition.

I post about how great this film is every year on other forums but I never get a reply.

Anyways, yes, this film has always been soft and golden to give a feeling of nostalgia (I believe)
It was that way in the theater.

I would love to add this film along with Polanski's FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS.

duck duck

#358 Post by duck duck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Old hat but, the remastered Lean films should be coming soon. TCM just showed a gorgeous version of Oliver Twist.

John Hodson

#359 Post by John Hodson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Koukol wrote:THE DEAD is one of my most wanted on BD and would love a Criterion release with the added Kino documentary.

I saw this film in the theater (in London) during Christmas and since its debut on VHS I watch it every New Year as a tradition.

I post about how great this film is every year on other forums but I never get a reply.
Well here's one; I love it, watch it every festive season as you do, and would kill for a Criterion BD. It's an astonishingly beautiful film.

Jeff

#360 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 pm

John Hodson wrote:
Koukol wrote:THE DEAD is one of my most wanted on BD and would love a Criterion release with the added Kino documentary.
Well here's one; I love it, watch it every festive season as you do, and would kill for a Criterion BD. It's an astonishingly beautiful film.
It's a favorite for me too. We do have a thread about the saga of the Lionsgate release. Lionsgate licensed Kicking and Screaming and Naqoyqatsi to Criterion, so I suppose anything's possible (though it seems maybe they didn't allow Criterion to renew the rights on Chungking Express -- if they still have them). The film really deserves a top-notch new high-def transfer. And yes, it also has a wonderful supplement, John Huston and the Dubliners, ready to go if Criterion could nail down the rights.

Koukol

#361 Post by Koukol » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Finally, some love for THE DEAD!
I have the UK DVD and heard the US version doesn't look much better plus it's cut.
Do you guys know if there's a better looking version?

yoshimori

#362 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 am

Koukol wrote:I have the UK DVD and heard the US version doesn't look much better plus it's cut.
Do you guys know if there's a better looking version?
The site's search function yields this:
yoshimori wrote:Thought I'd mentioned I received my r4au disc of John Huston's The Dead last week. It's 16x9, widescreen, and looks like a better transfer than the cropped r2jp. It's available for $6.64 USD plus shipping at EzyDVD.

The Dead
The price is now about $13 at EzyDVD.

Vegeta84

#363 Post by Vegeta84 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 am

I'm not sure if this means anything, but Hunter In The Dark is up on amazon instant video with an HD transfer. This is the only Gosha film on amazon's instant video. So does this mean that Criterion might have a release on the way? Here is the link.

RyanGallagher

#364 Post by RyanGallagher » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 am

Vegeta84 wrote:I'm not sure if this means anything, but Hunter In The Dark is up on amazon instant video with an HD transfer. This is the only Gosha film on amazon's instant video. So does this mean that Criterion might have a release on the way?
Hunter In The Dark is also available on Criterion's iTunes channel in HD.

Koukol

#365 Post by Koukol » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 pm

yoshimori wrote:r4au disc of John Huston's The Dead last week. It's 16x9, widescreen, and looks like a better transfer than the cropped r2jp. It's available for $6.64 USD plus shipping at EzyDVD. The Dead. The price is now about $13 at EzyDVD.
Ordered.
Thanks Yoshimori!

Vegeta84

#366 Post by Vegeta84 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 pm

RyanGallagher wrote:
Vegeta84 wrote:I'm not sure if this means anything, but Hunter In The Dark is up on amazon instant video with an HD transfer. This is the only Gosha film on amazon's instant video. So does this mean that Criterion might have a release on the way?
Hunter In The Dark is also available on Criterion's iTunes channel in HD.
Is that common for a film that hasn't had a physical release? I hope this is a sign that a release is on the way.

HistoryProf

#367 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Brian C wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:so which address do you send an email to in order to get a human response?
The Mulvaney one. It's just a matter of whether they want to give you a real answer or not. When I had some disc problems recently, I sent in an email and they were really helpful (they actually replaced 2 defective discs).

I think in this case you got exactly the answer they wanted to give you, that's all.
Well I shall choose to interpret that as my question hitting so close to a mark they don't want leaked yet that it's coming soon. \:D/

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#368 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Film Forum will be showing two new Janus restorations in late April/early May: "Safety Last" (which we knew about), and Roberto Rossellini's "Voyage to Italy."

onedimension

#369 Post by onedimension » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 am

Great news about the Rossellini... anyone know if that film's part of a larger restoration effort? If I got my Repo Man blu and Rossellini/Bergman box in the same year, I could retire from Criterion-ing.

hearthesilence

#370 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 am

YES, I would totally buy a Rossellini/Bergman box set. Speak of the devil, I recently saw Scorsese's documentary on Italian cinema for the very first time (I think I posted it about here?) and it definitely whet my appetite.

feihong

#371 Post by feihong » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 am

Thinking of The Hunter in the Dark in HD gives me chills. Come on, Criterion blu-ray box-set of Gosha's color samurai films!

Vegeta84

#372 Post by Vegeta84 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm

feihong wrote:Thinking of The Hunter in the Dark in HD gives me chills. Come on, Criterion blu-ray box-set of Gosha's color samurai films!
Exactly. It would be insane to have a HD release.

What's a HUGE shocker is that Criterion hasn't released Tenchu or even picked up the rights to this film. Not only is it one of the best Japanese films ever made, it's one of the best films made PERIOD. I figured this one would have been released by Criterion years ago.

knives

#373 Post by knives » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the rights for Tenchu is with another company.

Vegeta84

#374 Post by Vegeta84 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 pm

knives wrote:I'm pretty sure the rights for Tenchu is with another company.
Really? I've tried my best looking into this in the past and wasn't able to find anything. Wondering who in the world could be sitting on the rights to this film. If that's the case, what are they waiting for?

rwiggum

#375 Post by rwiggum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Can somebody please just appease me and tell me that 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is definitely on the way for this or that reason?