Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Mr Sausage

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#176 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 am

It's to be expected given that Luhrrmann's version is coming out soon.

eerik

#177 Post by eerik » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 am

Zodiac Blu-ray is reissued on January 1st by Warner. Amazon lists it as a single disc release, I hope they are wrong...

flyonthewall2983

#178 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:30 am

Maybe it just fit everything from the 2-disc set onto one disc?

eerik

#179 Post by eerik » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:03 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Maybe it just fit everything from the 2-disc set onto one disc?
Warner isn't going to waste their time and money to re-do the discs if they can simply drop the second disc. Anyway, somebody on the Blu-ray.com forums said that Warner's press site lists it as a 2-disc set.

manicsounds

#180 Post by manicsounds » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Warner's non-US disc of Zodiac was only 1 disc, and has the same extras as the 2-disc Paramount. They could save money and just use that disc.

flyonthewall2983

#181 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 pm

It's only 10.49 on Amazon right now, btw.

Peacock

#182 Post by Peacock » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Bear in mind the WB Blu of Zodiac has compressed audio and weaker PQ than the Paramount (going by the Beaver comparison)

flyonthewall2983

#183 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

So practically the same quality as the DVD (which I have)?

fdm

#184 Post by fdm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:50 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:So practically the same quality as the DVD (which I have)?
PQ likely still much better.

flyonthewall2983

#185 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 pm

The price is too nice to pass up. Pretty sure I paid the same amount for the DVD.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#186 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Peacock wrote:Bear in mind the WB Blu of Zodiac has compressed audio and weaker PQ than the Paramount (going by the Beaver comparison)
For the PQ, looking at the caps-a-holic caps, and even zooming in, it really looks much closer to each other than what the specs are telling.
You even have an example of halos being worse on the Paramount than the Warner while definition being better (so clearly not EE-induced there)...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#187 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Just to wrap up the discussions, apparently the Blu-ray that Warner has put out of Zodiac is the exact same as the Paramount release, with a tiny WB sticker on the back. It might even just be back stock that Paramount had sitting in a warehouse, because that sticker near the barcode is literally the only addition/change from the OOP release. It's the 2-disc director's cut, and while backordered, it's only $11.98 on Amazon right now. Amazing deal considering how long it was OOP and the fact that this is still one of the best Blu-ray releases to date.

georgec

#188 Post by georgec » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Just to wrap up the discussions, apparently the Blu-ray that Warner has put out of Zodiac is the exact same as the Paramount release, with a tiny WB sticker on the back. It might even just be back stock that Paramount had sitting in a warehouse, because that sticker near the barcode is literally the only addition/change from the OOP release. It's the 2-disc director's cut, and while backordered, it's only $11.98 on Amazon right now. Amazing deal considering how long it was OOP and the fact that this is still one of the best Blu-ray releases to date.
And already OOS at Amazon. :(

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#189 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 am

Just backordered, not out of print or anything

captveg

#190 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Jeff wrote:Jack Clayton's dreadful adaptation of The Great Gatsby is due on Blu-ray on January 1.
Not surprisingly, delayed indefinitely. Look for an official announcement for early summer upon the 2013 film's theatrical release.

captveg

#191 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Paramount catalog has essentially been handed over to other distributors at this point. The Great Gatsby (1974) is now coming 4/23 from Warner.

onedimension

#192 Post by onedimension » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 am

Anyone know if we'll see Paramount's Jerry Lewis titles on blu ray at some point?

Murdoch

#193 Post by Murdoch » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 am

Jobla

#194 Post by Jobla » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Is COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN a possibility for Criterion? The supporting actor Mark Patton once stated that he had recorded an interview for an upcoming DVD release of the film. However, he made that comment a year or so ago. I haven't heard the title linked specifically to Criterion or Olive Films.

Lowry_Sam

#195 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Jobla wrote:Is COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN a possibility for Criterion? The supporting actor Mark Patton once stated that he had recorded an interview for an upcoming DVD release of the film. However, he made that comment a year or so ago. I haven't heard the title linked specifically to Criterion or Olive Films.
I was expecting this to be a bare-bones title that they pair up with a loaded 2-disc Nashville, but something on the original stage play would be nice. I'm sure they could get commentary from Karen Black, but Cher would be a tough one to get. Since it's never been released on disc & given the people involved, I'm sure it would be more popular today than when it was released.

zedz

#196 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm

This would be a great candidate for Criterion. Lots of potential interviewees for the extras, though the most obvious supplement, Altman's own The James Dean Story, is Warners and therefore out of bounds.

Forrest Taft

#197 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am

I'm fairly certain James Dean Story is in the public domain. There are a bunch of cheap releases from various companies, but none from Warner Bros. I'm also hoping Criterion or someone else releases HealtH, the only other Altman feature without a DVD/DB release. And of course all of that obscure stuff he did for TV in the 1980s/early 1990s, which would make for a killer Eclipse set.

John Hodson

#198 Post by John Hodson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Hollywood Elsewhere has some good news and some frankly terrible news on the forthcoming BD of George Stevens magnificent Shane; Shane Aspect Ratio Conflict

I've viewed Shane at an approximation of 1.66:1 and while it certainly is the original theatrical aspect ratio, it simply doesn't work. Because the film was not shot with a widescreen ratio in mind. It's ironic isn't it that Loyal Griggs cinematography - so perfect, it pricks my eyes with tears - won an Oscar, despite being hobbled when the film was released.

Unfortunately, Wells rather eccentric views (I'm being kind) on certain titles, may lead to his opinion here - which is totally correct - being dismissed (as the comments below the linked piece show). I have everything crossed that this turns out well...

captveg

#199 Post by captveg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 pm

John Hodson wrote:Hollywood Elsewhere has some good news and some frankly terrible news on the forthcoming BD of George Stevens magnificent Shane; Shane Aspect Ratio Conflict

I've viewed Shane at an approximation of 1.66:1 and while it certainly is the original theatrical aspect ratio, it simply doesn't work. Because the film was not shot with a widescreen ratio in mind. It's ironic isn't it that Loyal Griggs cinematography - so perfect, it pricks my eyes with tears - won an Oscar, despite being hobbled when the film was released.

Unfortunately, Wells rather eccentric views (I'm being kind) on certain titles, may lead to his opinion here - which is totally correct - being dismissed (as the comments below the linked piece show). I have everything crossed that this turns out well...
It helps that Robert Harris and Bob Furmanek are also in agreement that when the film was shot is the key and not when it was distributed. Furmanek's research into when Hollywood went widescreen during production is pretty clear on this, and we know he has some connections with WHV because he was able to get them to see the production records pointing to the widescreen release of Dial M for Murder for the Blu-ray.

Here's hoping we get the 1.33:1 version. It's not like Warner hasn't released 1.33:1 films from this era on Blu-ray before (An American in Paris, Singin' in the Rain, Quo Vadis, etc.)

John Hodson

#200 Post by John Hodson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:13 am

david hare wrote:Shane certainly is far too close to the gate in 1953 to do the usual Furmanek grandstanding (for all his genuinely worthwhile work) and its production history doesn't comfortably accomodate any full commitment to some form of WS.
Bob, like most everyone else, is in absolute and full agreement that Shane was shot in Academy with *no* concession to any possible WS release.