Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 5

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
britcom68

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#151 Post by britcom68 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Zot! wrote:I was trying to say that it felt to me more like a lesser Albert Brooks (who I like) directed movie and not one of the most important releases Criterion could ever muster. I'm not criticizing the film on it's own terms, but questioning its epic significance.
True enough, man. An Elaine May "epic" release would have to be Ishtar. :roll:

towda

#152 Post by towda » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm

I noticed that Amazon Prime has a HD transfer of Burden of Dreams with the Criterion logo, perhaps a Blu-ray upgrade is in the works?

Jeff

#153 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Nice to see that some of the wacky guesses have started making there way over here. The drawing is just a tease at some of what 2013 has in store. It has always included many titles we already knew about. There will be much more than what was in the drawing. For example...

Reasonable Expectations for 2013
All that Heaven Allows Blu Upgrade
Autumn Sonata redux
Babette's Feast
Barton Fink
A Brighter Summer Day
The Brood
La Cage aux Folles
The Devil's Backbone
Eraserhead
Robert Flaherty (at least Nanook of the North, Louisiana Story)
Foreign Correspondent
Gate of Hell
Grey Gardens Blu upgrade
I Married a Witch
The Kid (possibly boxed with other Charlie Chaplin shorts or features)
Life is Sweet
The Lord of the Flies redux
Medium Cool
Naked Lunch Blu upgrade
Something by Satyajit Ray that's probably not Apu. My money's on Charulata
Repo Man
Richard III Blu upgrade
Ride the Whirlwind
Eclipse: Roots of the Czech New Wave
Safety Last (possibly boxed with other Harold Lloyd shorts or features)
Scanners
Shoah
The Shooting
The Soft Skin
some pre-code picture, possibly from Warner
Tess
3:10 to Yuma
Wild Strawberries Blu upgrade
Wim Wenders box with Alice in the Cities, The Wrong Move, Kings of the Road, and The American Friend
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Yo Yo (possibly boxed with other Pierre Etaix shorts or features)
Zatoichi films

Some Distinct Possibilities for 2013... or maybe 2014 (major Hulu titles, stuff from IFC, possible studio licenses, titles that may have been hinted at)
L'Argent
The Apu Trilogy
Beyond the Hills
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Boy
Breaker Morant
Burn!
More Chaplin
The Conformist
The Crime of M. Lange
Cruel Story of Youth
Eclipse: Echos of the Czech New Wave
The Emigrants
Europa Europa
Flowing
The 47 Ronin
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
Frances Ha
The French Lieutenant's Woman
History is Made at Night
Hotel du Nord
The King of Hearts
Kinoshita Eclipse set
Late Chrystanthymums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Blu upgrade
Like Someone in Love
The Long Voyage Home
The Life of Oharu
Mahler
Mikey and Nicky
Moonrise Kingdom
IFC's Errol Morris docs (The Thin Blue Line; Vernon, Florida; Gates of Heaven)
My Beautiful Laundrette
The New Land
Night and Fog in Japan
Odd Man Out
On the Road
Paris Belongs to Us
Phantom of the Paradise
Red River
Roma
Room at the Top
Le Samourai Blu upgrade
Satyricon
Something In the Air
SubUrbia
The Tenant
Thief
To Be or Not to Be
Toni with A Day in the Country
Until the End of the World
The First Films of Peter Weir box (The Plumber, The Cars That Ate Paris, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Last Wave)
The Wanderers
Working Girl
You Only Live Once

The Narrator Returns

#154 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Don't forget Until the End of the World, which Wenders confirmed was coming.

aox

#155 Post by aox » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 pm

I am sure I missed this somewhere, but what is the hold-up for Y Tu Mama Tambien? It's a fairly recent film, so I imagine the negatives are still well intact. Are they just looking for extras? Is it a contractual problem? I don't recall CC chasing after something this long if it is the latter.

The Narrator Returns

#156 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 pm

I imagine Cuaron is busy with Gravity, so that might be the reason for the hold-up.

Calvin

#157 Post by Calvin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:05 pm

bringmesomechemicals wrote:Also, the person with folded arms on the third floor is behind a window with seven holes in it.
You're right actually - it does look like holes rather than frost or snow. You'd think the artist would have done better than circles to represent frost.

Jeff

#158 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:05 pm

aox wrote:I am sure I missed this somewhere, but what is the hold-up for Y Tu Mama Tambien? It's a fairly recent film, so I imagine the negatives are still well intact. Are they just looking for extras? Is it a contractual problem? I don't recall CC chasing after something this long if it is the latter.
The Narrator Returns just beat me to it, but it's not a contractual or elements issue. Alfonso Cuarón has been extremely busy making Gravity for over two years now, and you can bet that's what the holdup is. I imagine when he's got it in the can, he'll be able to work with Criterion on this release. Same thing happened to The Game when Fincher became engulfed in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

hearthesilence

#159 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 pm

"Most important" really sounds hyperbolic - how can it not? - but there's no way I'd call it a "lesser Albert Brooks" type film, it's a great film, period. I am not a fan of Neil Simon, but I was surprised by how much I liked this film, and a lot of credit goes to Elaine May, it's unmistakably her masterpiece.

The OOP DVD is not only expensive as hell but a terrible transfer too, so a proper Blu-Ray reissue is even more welcome.

bringmesomechemicals

#160 Post by bringmesomechemicals » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm

The seashell being held by Old Scratch could also be a reference to "La Coquille et le clergyman", which might indicate a Dulac or general avant-garde Eclipse set?

jwd5275

#161 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:29 pm

You also may want to add the Grey Gardens blu and a possible Robert Flaherty set to that list too...

Mathew2468

#162 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Gotta be snow, he used the same brush throughout, and couldn't have made the circles smaller.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#163 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm

bringmesomechemicals wrote:The seashell being held by Old Scratch could also be a reference to "La Coquille et le clergyman", which might indicate a Dulac or general avant-garde Eclipse set?
There is a great release here which is quite english friendly with three alternative soundtracks which would not be duplicated by an Eclipse issue.

Also Lord of the Flies = Beelzebub = Devil imagery would be pretty conclusive rather than any Dulac connection.

beamish13

#164 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:53 pm

BillWatkins wrote:Are people sure the naked woman is from Babette's Feast? Could it not also be Helen Mirren in The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover?
BABETTE'S FEAST just underwent a restoration and is playing across the UK within the next few months. Hmmm...

Jameson281

#165 Post by Jameson281 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:17 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:Don't forget Until the End of the World, which Wenders confirmed was coming.
Where did he confirm this?

ianungstad

#166 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:29 pm

While we are speculating on future releases; I would possibly keep an eye on A24 Films and what their plans are for dvd/blu. There is no real evidence to suppport this but I have a hunch we might see another deal similar to what Criterion has with IFC. A24 tweet about Criterion all the time and have Criterion listed as a "like" on their Facebook page. Oscilloscope Laboratories have been active participants on this forum. A24 is a new company from the guy who co-founded Oscilloscope with Adam. (He left Oscilloscope earlier this year.) Just tossing this out there. Could be nothin'.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#167 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Do they have the rights to anything of note?

knives

#168 Post by knives » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Unless there is more than one A24 films out there it seems they have the latest Roman Coppola, Potter, and Korine.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#169 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Well that answers that question - there's no way that some piece of Harmony Korine garbage (just an educated guess based on his entire body of work leading up to it) and that Charlie Sheen movie are going to be CC releases

MongooseCmr

#170 Post by MongooseCmr » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Not to make this a movie discussion thread but that Coppola film looked awful. Even considering his "prestige" I doubt Criterion would want that film in their catalogue

ianungstad

#171 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Just speaking hypothetically, if Criterion did have some kind of deal like they have with IFC, they could certainly pass on titles they didn't want. Maybe A24 are just Criterion fans but they give Criterion a lot of publicity.

Jeff

#172 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:46 pm

I've seen A24's Ginger and Rosa, and other than another great Elle Fanning performance, I don't think I would really consider it Criterion fodder. Spring Breakers might make its money back due to the young-skewing cast, but I really doubt they're going to find much success with the other two films. That said, it's certainly not out of the question that they would partner with Criterion. They're going to have to find someone to distribute their stuff.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#173 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Jeff wrote: Working Girl
I keep seeing this being mentioned as a possible future title from Criterion. It's a "cute" movie but for me seems a bit of an odd title for Criterion to work on, even if I have no doubt Fox would have no issue in licencing it off to someone else. Was this hinted at or mentioned somewhere?

Jeff

#174 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:18 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Jeff wrote:Working Girl
I keep seeing this being mentioned as a possible future title from Criterion. It's a "cute" movie but for me seems a bit of an odd title for Criterion to work on, even if I have no doubt Fox would have no issue in licencing it off to someone else. Was this hinted at or mentioned somewhere?
I believe that originated due to his phantom page on Criterion's website. We know that Criterion has some more Fox titles, and that seemed like the most likely Nichols to be available to them. I suppose Primary Colors isn't out of the question either.

Matt

#175 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

It could just be for Day of the Dolphin, which was a HVE release (though Image has their own DVD out of that). I'd rather it be for Carnal Knowledge, which they could possibly get out of MGM. God forbid it be for The Birdcage in an ill-advised two-fer with La Cage aux folles.