MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Peacock

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3101 Post by Peacock » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:51 am

Oh my god this is insane!

I never thought I'd get to see the highly rated 'A Sun-Tribe Myth from the Bakumatsu Era'... and in BD?

And BOTH the other Yamanakas?

And La Notte on Blu? And the two Chabrols I never picked up and Clouzot's debut? Really a great month. Thanks guys!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3102 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am

Echo sentiments about the terrific line-up for both months. A slight bitter taste amongst all the ambrosia is that the Chabrols duplicate the Gaumonts (that also have english subs) and the font fest on the cover of the Japanese title (which one do i choose?) The Adrian Martin commentary on Cousins would have made it an instant double dip for me though.
Ending on an up note the Clouzot cover is superb.

matrixschmatrix

#3103 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

So they've switched to separated DVD and blu releases instead of duals again? I wonder why they're going back and forth like that?

At any rate, very exciting line up- I'm certainly going to get the Yamanaka, Clouzot, and the Sun Tribe film.

zeroism

#3104 Post by zeroism » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 am

OK, MoC just made my year before it even started. The Yamanaka set and Bakumatsu Taiyo-den were both at the very top of my MoC (or home video in general, really) wish list. 2013 could end with no more announcements and I'd still be above the clouds. I'd be just as happy to settle for barebones releases, but here's hoping for new Tony Rayns extras on one or both of these.

Endless gratitude to MoC for making these happen.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3105 Post by Drucker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:59 am

For me, MOC releases major films that I've often never heard of. Very excited to learn more and eventually get the Japanese releases.

vsski

#3106 Post by vsski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm

For my money MoC has outdone Criterion in the last years in almost every aspect, the great covers, the superb booklets that come with the discs and in most cases the movies themselves. And they don't upgrade everything to BD if it's not worth the money.
By now I basically standard order every release of theirs and I can't wait to get my fingers on the new ones, even though I have the Criterion Chabrols already.
MOC is the reason I went region free a few years ago.

Keep it coming!

perkizitore

#3107 Post by perkizitore » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Hopefully we will see the Tabu, Muriel, Birth of A Nation and the Indian Epic blus on the next batch of releases, keep them coming! One minor quibble though: Why did you drop the dual formats?

ellipsis7

#3108 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:12 pm

It's hard to come by, but I recently caught a screening in Ferrara - Antonioni's short LA VILLA DEI MOSTRI - would make an interesting left field addition to MoC's LA NOTTE package...

Saturnome

#3109 Post by Saturnome » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:12 pm

A Clouzot I wanted to see for a long time, Antonioni, the complete Yamanaka ( on DVD yeah, when I think that even the 1930s Mizoguchi get a little something on Blu, but it's still " :shock: " news! ), amazing stuff.

TheGodfather

Re: MoC Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on

#3110 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Not all too thrilled about the line-up, except for La Notte wich`ll look great on BD

Perkins Cobb

#3111 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

I've had a long dry spell with MOC but the Yamanaka set will definitely break it (actually though, I'll get La Poison first), and the Kawashima would also be a must-buy if I hadn't just seen it in a theater recently. Well done.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3112 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Pages are now live for all the recent MoC announcements (perhaps they have been for a few days) and I thought it worth mentioning that the Yamanaka, Kawashima, and Clouzot all promise "more extras to be announced closer to release date."

ellipsis7

#3113 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:46 am

Rosi's SFIDA now out on a lovely BR from Cristaldi (with Ital subs)... Maybe worthy of a release from MoC (with Eng subs), there is also a ready made extra in these two pieces (part 1 and part 2) showing the film's Neapolitan locations then and now...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3114 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 am

swo17 wrote:Pages are now live for all the recent MoC announcements (perhaps they have been for a few days) and I thought it worth mentioning that the Yamanaka, Kawashima, and Clouzot all promise "more extras to be announced closer to release date."
This release date has now been pushed back to May 20th it appears.

triodelover

#3115 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 am

Drucker wrote:
swo17 wrote:Pages are now live for all the recent MoC announcements (perhaps they have been for a few days) and I thought it worth mentioning that the Yamanaka, Kawashima, and Clouzot all promise "more extras to be announced closer to release date."
This release date has now been pushed back to May 20th it appears.
For the Clouzot. The others are unchanged, according to Amazon.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3116 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 am

According to Facebook, the Yamanaka is also delayed.

Calvin

#3117 Post by Calvin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

With Eureka releasing Dead Head, could we potentially see some MoC releases that have been licensed from the BBC?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3118 Post by Drucker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm

So since we're still waiting for an announcement date, and there's been rumblings about some some project shifting by the team, I just wanted to see: what are we still waiting on?

Last we checked, Tabu and Muriel were listed in catalogs as forthcoming in a dual-format edition.

Fritz Lang's Indian Films were mentioned, and there is an HD release available, so that certainly seems like it could be upgraded.

We know they are working on Birth of a Nation.

Anything else that we know/have reason to believe is on the table? People always seem to bring up Sirk, but Criterion and MoC seem to shoot those down as unlikely or not planned.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3119 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Muriel is no longer on the table, at least not the dinner table. The table it was sitting on got a broken leg and had to be moved to another room until it could be repaired. No one noticed at the time that Muriel was hidden under a blanket. Tabu might be under there as well.

TMDaines

#3120 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:50 pm

I got tweeted in Nov 2011 that there were no Langs or Murnaus lined up for the next two years and that they were fully booked up with 40 titles for that period. They did say, in reference to the unreleased silents, that "[they'd be] "merely DVDs ... when we get round to them" so there's obviously a desire to get them out there. A Blu upgrade of Lang's Indian film(s) was "not ruled out, but not in the oven" either.

I just hope that if we are going to be seeing a lot more Gaumont stuff, that it's stuff where the French Blu-ray doesn't have English subtitles.

andyli

#3121 Post by andyli » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 pm

I am also wondering if they are ever gonna upgrade the other four Mizoguchi films. Since they are now only available in a box set and I already own the first two blu-ray releases, it's semi-redundant for me to order the DVD set.

acf171072

#3122 Post by acf171072 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 am

andyli wrote:I am also wondering if they are ever gonna upgrade the other four Mizoguchi films. Since they are now only available in a box set and I already own the first two blu-ray releases, it's semi-redundant for me to order the DVD set.
Indeed. Blus of La Beaute du Diable, La Main du Diable, Le Ble en Herbe, Eyes Without a Face, Les Maudits, to name but a few. [-o<

Gaumont also have restorations in the pipeline for the 1925 and 1934 Les Miserables and Blus of those would be nice as an MoC as can't see Criterion being interested enough in an upgrade when the 1934 was only put in an Eclipse.

Would also like to see some more Japanese rarities like Bakumatsu Taiyo-den. Some unseen Ichikawa (The Crowded Streetcar, The Hole, Punishment Room), unseen Masumura (The Wife of Seishu Hanaokai, A False Student, The Hot Little Girl, Play it Cool), or any Yoshimura (The Ball at the Anjo House, Sisters of Nishijin, A Tale of Genji). Anything with Ayakao Wakao (Niigata Bamboo Doll, Diary of a Mad Old Man, Women Are Born Twice). I was lucky enough to see Anjo House and Genji with English subs and they're extraordinary.

Lowry_Sam

#3123 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 pm

acf171072 wrote: Gaumont also have restorations in the pipeline for the 1925 and 1934 Les Miserables and Blus of those would be nice as an MoC as can't see Criterion being interested enough in an upgrade when the 1934 was only put in an Eclipse.
I think it was an Eclipse release because the condition of the print wasn't very good. I could see Criterion deleting the Eclipse in favor of a Blu-Ray of a restoration of the best version of Les Miserables, particularly now after the musical has made it to film.

evillights

#3124 Post by evillights » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:47 pm

acf171072 wrote:Would also like to see some more Japanese rarities like Bakumatsu Taiyo-den.
Our release of BAKUMATSU TAIYŌ-DEN comes out in about six weeks.

acf171072

#3125 Post by acf171072 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 pm

evillights wrote:
acf171072 wrote:Would also like to see some more Japanese rarities like Bakumatsu Taiyo-den.
Our release of BAKUMATSU TAIYŌ-DEN comes out in about six weeks.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. #-o I know Bakumatsu is coming, been high-fiving ever since announcement. I meant would like to see some more like Bakamatsu (that is to say, in addition to). Any Kawashima. [-o<