MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3076 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 am

Birth of a Nation and Tabu are still forthcoming, and could certainly be up there.

Kay Hoog

#3077 Post by Kay Hoog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 am

Muriel is also a possibility

mostly asia

#3078 Post by mostly asia » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 am

from facebook 5 month ago....
"Eureka Entertainment
16. Juli
Morning everyone! We are gearing up for today's announcement of our forthcoming MASTERS OF CINEMA releases. It would appear that your 'desired' line up would include Sleuth, Die Nibelungen, Le Samourai, The Birth of a Nation, Duck Soup, Paths of Glory, The Best Years Of Our Lives, The Passion of Joan of Arc & Black Rain amongst others, or titles from Billy Wilder, Shinoda, Epstein, Resnais, Visconti, Sirk & Imamura."

maybe Imamura's Black Rain or Shinoda's Double Suicide on blu-ray?......

TMDaines

#3079 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 am

Give us some firsts and Tabu and I'll be all smiles.

Calvin

#3080 Post by Calvin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 am

I'm hoping that one of those double bills consists of A Page of Madness and Crossroads. Probably just wishful thinking.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3081 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 am

HJackson wrote:Well they said it was eight films
They said a month ago that it was "looking like eight films." It's entirely possible that one or more of those has been delayed.

Also, FWIW, none of those BD banners match the bright purple of the Tabu DVD or the black of Muriel.

triodelover

#3082 Post by triodelover » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am

swo17 wrote:Also, FWIW, none of those BD banners match the bright purple of the Tabu DVD or the black of Muriel.
Don't forget Onibaba.

neilist

#3083 Post by neilist » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:00 pm

HJackson wrote:Well they said it was eight films, so we can assume two of the blu-rays are dual features
Alternatively there could be three films in one, if they were to put out a package comprising the three early Fritz Lang films that Kino released recently.

Calvin

#3084 Post by Calvin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm

neilist wrote:
HJackson wrote:Well they said it was eight films, so we can assume two of the blu-rays are dual features
Alternatively there could be three films in one, if they were to put out a package comprising the three early Fritz Lang films that Kino released recently.
Or indeed a Sadao Yamanaka collection. I believe the Humanity and Paper Balloons DVD is still unavailable and The Million Ryo Pot was mentioned last year.

triodelover

#3085 Post by triodelover » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:34 pm

The Lang could be the DVD only release. I have the Kino set, and based on what I've been able to watch so far, I doubt the elements are available to justify a Blu-ray. Or it could be the two films comprising Die Spinnen, which Kino released last year. Either would add to their catalog of Lang's German work, which judging from what they've released so far, is a goal.

TMDaines

#3086 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 pm

I'd kill for the Lang's but I've posted what they tweeted me several times about it not being forthcoming this year or last.

triodelover

#3087 Post by triodelover » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:48 pm

TMDaines wrote:I'd kill for the Lang's but I've posted what they tweeted me several times about it not being forthcoming this year or last.
That's right, you did. Sorry, got caught up in all the guessing fervor. :)

TMDaines

#3088 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm

I hope I'm wrong: anything for more silent German cinema.

Finch

#3089 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm

As much as I liked Niebelungen, I sincerely hope that just this once we can have a slate of releases for the year without any Lang in it, or Murnau for that matter, so that other directors get their due (Ruiz, pretty please? or more Sternberg, or Hou-Hsien's The Puppetmaster, or Johnnie To's The Mission which currently only has one sort of decent release in a non-English friendly French disc)?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3090 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm

I wonder who, if anyone, might end up being this year's Pialat/Imamura/Pasolini.

acf171072

#3091 Post by acf171072 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:14 am

Please let's see Kawashima's The Sun Legend of the End of the Tokugawa Era, The Sign of the Cross to go with Cleopatra, some Masumura not out in English friendly editions (The Hot Little Girl, Play it Cool, The Wife of Seishu Hanaokai, Two Wives, The Most Valuable Wife), any other Ayako Wakao classics (Niigata Bamboo Doll, for example), Yoshimura's The Ball at the Anjo House or some French classics like Leenhardt's Les Dernières Vacances. Or heck, ANY YOSHIDA in an English friendly edition. Any of those would be heaven.

Nobby

#3092 Post by Nobby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Finch wrote:Johnnie To's The Mission
That would be too awesome, although not impossible I think. I just found that another 1999 HK classic - Bullets Over Summer - was recently released in Italy (no english subs though), while there is no sign of Hong Kong release of this film so far.

Film Reel

#3093 Post by Film Reel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Nobby wrote: That would be too awesome, although not impossible I think. I just found that another 1999 HK classic - Bullets Over Summer - was recently released in Italy (no english subs though), while there is no sign of Hong Kong release of this film so far.
Yes, Bullets Over Summer was released this year in Italy on DVD (first time?) and Blu-ray through Cecchi Gori Home Video. They both contains the original audio track and the italian dub, subs in italian only. There's a making of included as well.

eerik

#3094 Post by eerik » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 am

Our first release, in Blu-ray and DVD editions, is Claude Chabrol's debut feature in a gorgeous new restoration: LE BEAU SERGE
In a gorgeous new Gaumont restoration (in 1080p on the BD), with a 56-min doc about the film, including Chabrol's short L'AVARICE..
...and a lengthy booklet containing a new and exclusive essay about the film by Capricci head / ex-Cahiers editor-in-chief Emmanuel Burdeau.

Also in March: Chabrol's 2nd feature, LES COUSINS, in Blu-ray and DVD editions, featuring...
...a gorgeous new Gaumont restoration (in 1080p on the BD), w/ a 47-min doc about the film...
...Chabrol's 1964 short L'HOMME QUI VENDIT LA TOUR EIFFEL...
...and a lengthy booklet including another new and exclusive essay about the film by Emmanuel Burdeau...
...writing about the film by Godard from the time of release, and a never-published-in-English essay by the great filmmaker Luc Moullet...
...about the actress Françoise Vatel, plus much more.
(Moullet generously provided this essay exclusively for this release.)

Last March release, on Blu-ray + DVD: Henri-Georges Clouzot's debut feature, THE MURDERER LIVES AT 21 [L'ASSASSIN HABITE AU 21].
From the beautiful new Gaumont restoration of the film, with a lengthy booklet featuring rare and archival pieces + images. More soon.

In April, we'll be releasing a Blu-ray upgrade in stunning 1080p of Michelangelo Antonioni's 1961 masterpiece LA NOTTE.
(This release will include the same features/56-page-booklet as our previous DVD edition from a few years ago.)

The film voted one of the top 5 Japanese films of all-time by Kinema junpô magazine: BAKUMATSU TAIYÔ-DEN by Yûzô Kawashima.
[A Sun-Tribe Myth from the Bakumatsu Era] [aka, "Sun in the Last Days of the Shogunate (?)] [aka "Shinagawa Path" (???)]
...in a gorgeous new restoration in 1080p (on the BD) from Nikkatsu (made as part of their 100th anniversary)
— also containing a lengthy booklet with a new and exclusive essay by Japanese cinema scholar/expert/critic Frederick Veith
(and more!!!)

Our final release for April is DVD only — and only that due to the conditions of the extant materials —
it is a two-disc set titled: THE COMPLETE (EXISTING) FILMS OF SADAO YAMANAKA.
It will include all of the extant features by Yamanaka, one of the greatest of all Japanese filmmakers, w/ Mizoguchi, Ozu, Naruse, Shimizu.
It contains: TANGE SAZEN: THE MILLION RYÔ POT; KÔICHIYAMA SÔSHUN; and HUMANITY AND PAPER BALLOONS — along with the surviving fragments...
...of the two other Yamanaka films that have not been destroyed. Also includes a lengthy booklet — and much more.

Finch

#3095 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 am

MoC have surely secured the DVD of the Year 2013 with that Yamanaka set. Bravo!

neilist

#3096 Post by neilist » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 am

Concluding Twitter post:

'That's it! We'll be announcing May/June releases in 2 months' time, incl. some very rare/anticipated/longed-for works. Have a GREAT holiday!'

Talk about leaving us on edge for the next two months, although I guess I don't expect anything else from MoC other than 'very rare/anticipated/longed-for works' anyway...

RossyG

#3097 Post by RossyG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:11 am

Brilliant!

Thrilled about the Chabrol and Clouzot films and very happy to upgrade my La Notte DVD.

lubitsch

#3098 Post by lubitsch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:50 am

Thrilling. That's what I want from MoC, great/interesting films without English friendly releases yet.

TMDaines

#3099 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am

I like the look of the Clouzot but so frustrating to see another two Criterion double-ups. Good to see La notte on Blu-ray too, but this is going to be the sixth Italian film in a row without any extras? We were spoilt with Accattone and Gospel. Oh well, you can't have everything!

acf171072

#3100 Post by acf171072 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:49 am

The Yamanaka and the Clouzot would be miracle enough (finally get rid of my old DVDR of L'Assassin from an archaic BBC showing), but the Kawashima is the sangraal. That's 2013's release of the year guaranteed unless we get a full Blu of Napoleon or Greed before December, which is about as likely as finding a live dinosaur. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/