MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
RossyG

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3051 Post by RossyG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 am

The fruits of Ophuls: made to make your mouth water.

(Likelihood of anyone getting that gag: 3.2%; likelihood of them finding it funny: even less)
Last edited by RossyG on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tommaso

#3052 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 am

Nabob: That's one of the titles I'm hoping for, as I unfortunately need subs. The French subs might be a help for me, but I simply find it hard to stand that the HOH-only subs inform me about "[music playing]" or "[gunshot]" when I can hear that myself... I see that these infos are necessary for people who indeed have hearing difficulties, but why can't they provide a second set of subs without them for other people?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3053 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 am

Tommaso wrote:Nabob: That's one of the titles I'm hoping for, as I unfortunately need subs. The French subs might be a help for me, but I simply find it hard to stand that the HOH-only subs inform me about "[music playing]" or "[gunshot]" when I can hear that myself... I see that these infos are necessary for people who indeed have hearing difficulties, but why can't they provide a second set of subs without them for other people?
It is a combination of Gaumont's policy and a legal requirement to provide HOH subs maybe they should extend it to a second set for people with learning difficulties? Actually some Gaumont releases in the clasics have both but I don't think the remit/budget on a la demande runs to it

Askew

#3054 Post by Askew » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 am

I'm hoping that Spione and the other dvds finally come back into print. I'm also guessing that Tabu, Muriel and Birth of a Nation will be among the announcements.

MichaelB

#3055 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:It is a combination of Gaumont's policy and a legal requirement to provide HOH subs maybe they should extend it to a second set for people with learning difficulties?
An obvious typo, I know, but what would subs for people with learning difficulties look like?

TMDaines

#3056 Post by TMDaines » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:36 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Tommaso wrote:Nabob: That's one of the titles I'm hoping for, as I unfortunately need subs. The French subs might be a help for me, but I simply find it hard to stand that the HOH-only subs inform me about "[music playing]" or "[gunshot]" when I can hear that myself... I see that these infos are necessary for people who indeed have hearing difficulties, but why can't they provide a second set of subs without them for other people?
It is a combination of Gaumont's policy and a legal requirement to provide HOH subs maybe they should extend it to a second set for people with learning difficulties? Actually some Gaumont releases in the clasics have both but I don't think the remit/budget on a la demande runs to it
Why do you need any further budget to do both? It's a case of just running them through any decent subtitling software to remove the HoH specific parts. This literally takes minutes.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3057 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Why don't you ask them to do it then and see what the answer is?

MichaelB

#3058 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 pm

TMDaines wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Why do you need any further budget to do both? It's a case of just running them through any decent subtitling software to remove the HoH specific parts. This literally takes minutes.
I did this myself on Les Chimères des Švankmajer in the BFI's Švankmajer box. It has two sets of subtitles, one that translates the Czech interviews and French voiceover, transcribes the English interview and identifies sound effects, and one that merely translates the Czech and French. I commissioned professional subtitlers to do the former, then personally stripped out all the transcription/HOH subs myself for the file that generated the second track. And it did indeed take me a matter of minutes.

Tommaso

#3059 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Yes, it's ridiculously easy to do. I'm annoyed in the same way if it comes to multilanguage films like "Lisbon Story" or "Grand Illusion". Why can't they provide several subs with all possible combinations so that you can choose only those languages that you personally need to be subtitled? It's pretty annoying that I have to get all those English parts translated when I want to understand the Portuguese bits in that Wenders movie, for instance.

Calvin

#3060 Post by Calvin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Any chance of MoC releasing some Raymond Bernard? Gaumont just released a Bernard set in France with English subs but I'd love to see his work on Blu-Ray.

perkizitore

#3061 Post by perkizitore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm

I am wondering if they intend to release the same 3 early Fritz Lang films that Kino recently did. I hope if they do intend to release them, they should let us know ASAP so people will hold off on the Kino edition.

TMDaines

#3062 Post by TMDaines » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I asked Nick about them - and the remaining Murnaus - a year or so ago on Twitter and he said that nothing was in the pipeline for the next two years and they were fully booked for that period. A shame as their silent German stuff was the cream of the crop and what I think of as their signature releases.

Needless to say, I won't be buying the Kinos as I don't own a single silent without original language intertitles!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3063 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Could all those films possibly be due to get HD upgrades from FWMS? Maybe that's why they're holding out?

Finch

#3064 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 pm

I have no idea who if anyone at all owns the rights to Raul Ruiz' older titles in the UK but a release of City of Pirates would be most welcome. Any chance of that happening, Craig?

cana7cl

#3065 Post by cana7cl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Finch wrote:I have no idea who if anyone at all owns the rights to Raul Ruiz' older titles in the UK but a release of City of Pirates would be most welcome. Any chance of that happening, Craig?
Yes, we desperately need Raul Ruiz' titles in the Masters of Cinema Series.

AK

#3066 Post by AK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:07 am

cana7cl wrote:
Finch wrote:I have no idea who if anyone at all owns the rights to Raul Ruiz' older titles in the UK but a release of City of Pirates would be most welcome. Any chance of that happening, Craig?
Yes, we desperately need Raul Ruiz' titles in the Masters of Cinema Series.
Second that! Three Crowns of the Sailor is my favourite Ruiz, and the Facets DVD is very horrendous. But basically any earlier Ruiz would do.

FerdinandGriffon

#3067 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am

The Facets DVD is a botched port of a really quite pretty BlaqOut release, which also comes with English subtitles.

There's so much of Ruiz that's unavailable in any form, let alone decently transferred, English-subtitled DVD. Maybe Life is a Dream or L'éveillé du Pont de l'Alma are in more dire need of release, assuming rights issues would allow it.

But who am I kidding? I'd buy any Ruiz MoC deem to release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3068 Post by swo17 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 am

FerdinandGriffon wrote:The Facets DVD is a botched port of a really quite pretty BlaqOut release, which also comes with English subtitles.
This is the first I've heard of any difference between the Facets and BlaqOut releases. Though I concur that any Ruiz on MoC would be most welcome.

knives

#3069 Post by knives » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Maybe Eureka could hunt down the Cannon library just for this.

AK

#3070 Post by AK » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 am

They've updated their Facebook page with a teaser for next week's new announcements. Five Blu-rays, one DVD by the looks of it. I hope they're upgrading Humanity and Paper Balloons, which has been OOP for a few months now. Yet it could be that DVD, judging from the label colour.

RossyG

#3071 Post by RossyG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 am

Is it a photo teaser? Any chance of posting it here? I'm no longer a member of Facebook since they discovered I wasn't actually Captain Jack Harkness of Torchwood and booted me off for using an alias.

AK

#3072 Post by AK » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 am

RossyG wrote:Is it a photo teaser? Any chance of posting it here? I'm no longer a member of Facebook since they discovered I wasn't actually Captain Jack Harkness of Torchwood and booted me off for using an alias.
I would post it here but really don't know how - it is, however, accessible on their Facebook page even without registration (it's their cover photo, as well). The "log in/sign up" box covers much of the top-right corner of the photo, but you'll find the image when you scroll down a bit.

EDIT: Didn't see eerik's message, but there it is.
Last edited by AK on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

eerik

#3073 Post by eerik » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 am

Here it is:

RossyG

#3074 Post by RossyG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:12 am

Thanks AK and eerik.

Let the speculation begin...

HJackson

#3075 Post by HJackson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 am

Well they said it was eight films, so we can assume two of the blu-rays are dual features (either the remaining Mizoguchis, or something akin to the Imamura/Pasolini releases). Very difficult to make anything of this image though - I wish they'd go back to giving us small details from the cover art to really tease us.

If we're making wishes, I'd like to see some Sirk or some Sternberg from the Universal deal, if there are still titles forthcoming from that.