It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 pm 

What's wrong with straightforward English? "All releases will use high quality 1080p masters." Anytime someone wants to sell me something and can't tell me in plain words what it is he's selling but instead resorts to buzzwords with fuzzy meanings, I get suspicious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm 

triodelover wrote:
What's wrong with straightforward English? "All releases will use high quality 1080p masters." Anytime someone wants to sell me something and can't tell me in plain words what it is he's selling but instead resorts to buzzwords with fuzzy meanings, I get suspicious.

Marketing departments like to use big, glossy words to frustrate everyone. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 pm 

Maybe it's just a shoutout to Timothy Hutton, and their way of hinting that Made in Heaven will also get a WBA Blu release.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:44 pm 

Regardless of quality, I'd just be happy to get Deathtrap in WS. The DVD is only available in P&S...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm 

Feltenstein interview re: Blu-ray WAC titles

Highlights:

- Carried over special features
- EN SDH subtitles
- Gypsy on BD50

Also, lots of DVD titles mentioned by name that are planned for 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:57 pm 

While I'm very happy about Warner's decision to release some of these films on Blu-ray, even in limited release, I don't understand some of their logic. Take this quote from the article:
Quote:
As with WAC's DVD releases, the titles chosen for the Blu-ray program ... will be titles that have been frequently requested "but we wouldn't be able to garner shelf-space for at brick-and-mortar stores.''
So, Gypsy -- a film based on a still-popular musical and starring Natalie Wood -- would not garner shelf-space, but apparently The Bad Seed and the Bette Davis film Dead Ringer will? Nothing against those films, of course, but I'm just not understanding how they're determining which films will be good sellers. I would lay down money that out of those three titles, Gypsy would by far be the biggest seller on Blu-ray.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:21 am 

Gypsy is a musical, The Bad Seed and Dead Ringer have horror/thriller credentials, the latter "Hag Horror". There are horror fans who will buy certain old films just for the fact that they are horror films, the "Hag" type seems to get a lot of attention, and they're a fairly large market so Warner probably thinks they have better chances with them.

Musicals don't have the same standing today, even bigger ones, and even in a climate where every dumb Broadway show has singing and dancing in it (saw that Elf thing on the Macy parade this morning - my lord!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:39 pm 

Gypsy and Death Trap are both $15.29 from DVD Empire.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm 

Just a heads up: WB refuses to cancel orders for in-stock items, so if you ordered Gypsy or Death Trap from them at the higher price you're stuck with it, unless you want to return it and pay for return shipping, which would negate the DVD Empire savings anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 pm 

Cash Flagg wrote:
Just a heads up: WB refuses to cancel orders for in-stock items, so if you ordered Gypsy or Death Trap from them at the higher price you're stuck with it, unless you want to return it and pay for return shipping, which would negate the DVD Empire savings anyway.

Has anyone who returned discs had to pay for return shipping? Gypsy shipped today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:41 pm 

Cash Flagg wrote:
Has anyone who returned discs had to pay for return shipping? Gypsy shipped today.

Seemingly being the magnet for all of their incredibly scratched up discs, I've had to return damaged/defective items to them a couple of times (they fairly recently changed their policy of just sending replacement copies and you get to dispose of the damaged goods). They will reimburse you in that case if you jump thru a few hoops (like send them a copy of your receipt indicating mailing costs... still haven't quite figured out how to include a receipt inside a sealed package that you haven't shipped back yet...).

If you just want to return something you don't want, though, I suspect they will not pay for that. Check out their return policy web page.

Similarly, having just tried refusing their last shipment when they were replacing damaged discs and they sent the wrong one (sent v4 instead of the v5 I returned to them), I would warn against going the refuse route with them... I got lucky, since I scanned the package I was refusing before dropping it in the mailbox, and it turned out the tracking number was different from the one they sent in their email; luckily the post office just happened to scan it to show that it had been refused (don't recall seeing them do that in the past, but maybe that was just FedEx or UPS)... Up until I was able to provide that particular tracking number from the package for them to look up, they were going to pretend that they never got the return, this being three weeks or so after I refused it. Crisis averted, but let's just say I'm not a happy camper at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm 

fdm wrote:
(they fairly recently changed their policy of just sending replacement copies and you get to dispose of the damaged goods).

That's interesting. When I've received damaged or scratched discs, they have always let me keep the damaged one and sent me a replacement free of charge, going back to when Warner Archive first began. Perhaps you have just unfortunately always contacted the one hateful bastard at the company?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 pm 

Feego wrote:
fdm wrote:
(they fairly recently changed their policy of just sending replacement copies and you get to dispose of the damaged goods).

That's interesting. When I've received damaged or scratched discs, they have always let me keep the damaged one and sent me a replacement free of charge, going back to when Warner Archive first began. Perhaps you have just unfortunately always contacted the one hateful bastard at the company?

Me too, but maybe they just got tired of me. I think I usually do email, so some butt-head over there that one time responded to mine that way. I just ass-umed it would be the case the next (second/last) time, so sent it off that way (guess that's what I deserve for paying attention to their webpage). Although I also ran into a couple more butt-heads when I tried to get that refund for the refused package. Next time I guess I'll just call them... Lotta butt-heads over there. (And really I am usually quite polite in my emails, so it ain't me babe.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:00 am 

Maybe some posters here who are better at reading WB's mind than I am can answer this question: what is the likelihood of our getting either The Unsuspected or I Love Melvin on blu through the Archive?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:01 am 

"What?"---Warners

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:15 pm 

WAC Blu program seemingly off to a promising start with Deathtrap. (Blu-ray.com review)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 pm 

Just got my 5 Warner Archive purchases and oddly enough the worst looking transfer is one of the remastered ones, While The City Sleeps. The source material is generally better (and newer by a decade or two) but this is undermined by the transfer.

It looks terribly soft. I heard the UK DVD release (on a boutique label) looks better, but that one's an open matte and I wanted the correct aspect ratio (something like 2.1:1). Honestly, I'm wondering if I can take the UK DVD, rip it, slice off the top and bottom, and just expand it to the right pixel dimensions and have it look better than the Warner Archive DVD.

The other ones I got were The Great Garrick, Stars on My Crown, Strawberry Blonde and Confessions of a Lotus Eater.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 pm 

While the City Sleeps was pretty clearly shot for full frame and cut down in post, to my eye- it doesn't have the insane headroom that Beyond a Reasonable doubt does in full frame, and as I understand it the documentation supports the 1:33 framing as Lang's intent. In any case, the UK DVD looks really good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:57 pm 

David Bordwell sheds some light on While the City Sleeps' aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 pm 

The short answer:

Quote:
The question before the jury was: Do SuperScope prints of Lang’s While the City Sleep (1956) faithfully reflect his intentions? The answer I settled on was: Probably not.

](*,)

Should've gone with The Merry Widow...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:08 pm 

Yes, you should have as it is one of the best if not the best silent film ever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:11 pm 

Thanks for the salt, knives.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 pm 

You can have some more if you would like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 pm 

Aspect ratio is probably my least favorite topic of discussion, it's important but incredibly irritating that it exists as an issue.

DVDBeaver picks up on this in some of its screencaps, but the Super Scope transfer on the Warner Archive has more picture on the left and right sides of the screen. This is significant because it shows why the 2.1:1 transfer isn't quite as disastrous as I thought it would be, and furthermore why I wasn't able to replicate a satisfactory 1.66 or 1.78:1 image from the 1.33:1 UK DVD.

I started watching the Warner Archive DVD and when it gets to the shot Bordwell uses of Vincent Price on the phone with his butler in the background, I was surprised that his head was completely intact. It's a tight composition, but it's all there with a tiny bit of space above it, no clipping or cropping of any kind. Bordwell's 2.1:1 recreation clips his head because his source image had less picture on the sides - the extra real estate makes a significant difference if the ratio is kept exact.

This is just an observation, not an endorsement of the Warner Archive DVD - a vast majority of the compositions seen in its transfer still work great in Super Scope, but there are a few shots that look pretty awkward. More problematic is the picture quality - not sure if it was taken from a source that was essentially a blown-up 2.1:1 dupe, but it does look softer and less detailed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm 

Robert Harris on the restored Red Dust, which was hinted at in the Feltenstein interview. FWIW, I picked it up in the recent "5 for $50" sale. The copy I received is a pressed DVD and it looks every bit as good as Harris says. I'd rate the restored audio a little higher, if only because every version of the film I've seen prior to this sounded as if it had been recorded in the bottom of a barrel through several layers of cotton batting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 67  Next