It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:48 pm 

Is it definite that MoC won't be releasing these? I'd rather buy from them even if it means holding out for a few more months (or a year; I'm not in a rush).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:53 pm 

This was what Nick had to say in 2011:

peerpee wrote:
They did not sell anywhere near enough to warrant a Blu-ray release, I'm afraid. At this point in time, I can't see us ever upgrading any of our existing Pialat releases to Blu-ray. Our time would be better spent on titles that have not been released in the UK before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 pm 

Good news with the English subs on these Pialat releases. I will definitely buy five of the six titles that have been announced.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:16 pm 

Not sure if this release has already been mentioned, but I got the very nice Gaumont à la demande set delivered today. A good deal, I think, as it works out at less than 5€ a film as opposed to the usual 13€, even before you consider that it includes the excellent 280-page book that normally sells for 25€. Despite owning some of the standalone releases, luckily only 2 that I had were in this collection.

http://www.amazon.fr/decouverte-Gaumont ... B008R3JNYQ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:22 pm 

Calvin wrote:
According to Amazon.fr, all of the Pialat Blu-Rays will (thankfully!) have English subtitles.

Amazon lists the 3 for January as having English subs, but hasn't as yet put up any subs info for the 3 in February.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 pm 

Calvin wrote:
This was what Nick had to say in 2011:
peerpee wrote:
They did not sell anywhere near enough to warrant a Blu-ray release, I'm afraid. At this point in time, I can't see us ever upgrading any of our existing Pialat releases to Blu-ray. Our time would be better spent on titles that have not been released in the UK before.
Ah, shame. Thanks, Calvin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:43 pm 

Quote:
Not sure if this release has already been mentioned, but I got the very nice Gaumont à la demande set delivered today. A good deal, I think, as it works out at less than 5€ a film as opposed to the usual 13€, even before you consider that it includes the excellent 280-page book that normally sells for 25€. Despite owning some of the standalone releases, luckily only 2 that I had were in this collection.

Perhaps there's somewhere to find this info and I simply can't find it, but... does anyone know which of 30 DVDs include English subtitles?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:19 am 

jonah.77 wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps there's somewhere to find this info and I simply can't find it, but... does anyone know which of 30 DVDs include English subtitles?

None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 am 

Gaumont is preparing Madame De for their Gaumont Classiques series (second trimester 2013 release).

Some info from Jerome Soulet of Gaumont, from the Gaumont Classiques thread on DVDClassik:

"Restauration 2012 2K d'après négatif nitrate et marron safety.
A noter :
- mauvaise post-synchro sur une séquence à 10 : 35 : 08
- modulation de voix étrange à 10 : 43 : 36 : 14 mais inhérente au matériel d'origine (c'était d'ailleurs également sur la version DVD).
Quelques défauts films résiduels sont à corriger avec un complément de palette mais c'est dans l'ensemble une très belle restauration. Il y a très peu de grain, nous ne ferons donc pas de dégrainage pour ce titre."
http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtop ... start=3975

So -- a 2K resto based on the OCN and other materials. At 10:35:08 a bit of unsatisfactory post-synchronisation. A few a/v corrections. No de-graining planned because there is so little grain to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:33 pm 

Just sad that there will almost certainly be no English subs again. The amount of sales Gaumont have lost on stuff like Antoine et Antoinette, La Blé en Herbe, Swann in Love, La Beauté Du Diable, etc, that the Criterions of this world have no intention of releasing and thus there isn't the excuse of cutting down distribution sales. So sad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:35 am 

acf171072 wrote:
Just sad that there will almost certainly be no English subs again. The amount of sales Gaumont have lost on stuff like Antoine et Antoinette, La Blé en Herbe, Swann in Love, La Beauté Du Diable, etc, that the Criterions of this world have no intention of releasing and thus there isn't the excuse of cutting down distribution sales. So sad.

I can confirm that the Blu Ray of Antoine et Antoinette does has English subtitles and one of the most beautiful B&W prints on Blu Ray I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:14 am 

Also Swann has an english audio track

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 am 

Aunt Peg wrote:
I can confirm that the Blu Ray of Antoine et Antoinette does has English subtitles
Special features have subs too? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:00 am 

I don't think they ever do with Gaumont.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

Can this topic get moved to the sub forum with the rest of the labels? Strange that it has made it to nine pages over here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:20 am 

Saimo wrote:
Aunt Peg wrote:
I can confirm that the Blu Ray of Antoine et Antoinette does has English subtitles
Special features have subs too? Thanks.

I'm afraid not. The 41 minute documentary on Rene Clement lacks English subtitles.

Post subject: Re: Blu-ray, in General
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm 

Bluray.com reviews Antoine et Antoinette and it appears to be another botched job.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm 

and more subpar marks for Becker's Les Amants de Montparnasse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm 

To be fair, Svet does say the following:

Quote:
There are traces of denoising corrections throughout the entire film. However, Modigliani of Montparnasse looks far more pleasing than Antoine et Antoinette. In fact, excluding the darker sequences where the denoising corrections become painfully obvious (see screencapture #16), in motion definition seems quite good. (Emphasis mine.) Where there is plenty of light, clarity and even image depth are also pleasing. Color saturation is decent, but it is easy to tell that without the denoising corrections it would have been substantially better. There are no traces of sharpening corrections. Also, there are no damage marks, large specks, cuts, warps, or stains. There are no serious stability issues to report in this review either. To sum it all up, Modigliani of Montparnasse is yet another beautifully restored by Gaumont classic film - and this time it really does show - which has been unnecessarily degrained. Fortunately, in motion the film looks quite good.

Comparing the screen grabs it appears that Antoine et Antoinette is quite a bit worse, despite the numerical scores. (As an aside, I really wish things like scoring in reviews would just go away.) Not saying Les Amants is what it should be, particularly since it appears the elements were there to make it something special, but "botched" seems harsh. The trend is disturbing since Gaumont has been one of the most consistent French labels when it comes to Blu-ray restos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm 

A lot of Gaumont releases have been reviewed in France as visibly denoised, and it has been loudly written on DVD Classik, where Jerome Soulet, the director of the video editing dept at Gaumont, is very active. He has since answered that it has been taken in account for 2013, and that the "cahier des charges" at Eclair has been reviewed according to this.

Hopefully, the wild denoising will be a thing from the past at Gaumont, but 2012 has seen too many Gaumont calalog releases being plagued with it, especially when you recall the tremendous job done on numerous movies (La traversée de Paris, Les yeux sans visage, 8 1/2...).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm 

Hate to hear that Gaumont are going in the wrong direction. The English friendly French Cancan, Elena et les hommes and Les Tontons flingueurs (crazy menu and all) were superb. Even A Man Escaped looked very good in motion despite the chroma noise effects mostly early on. I hope someone like MoC picks up the Beckers and gives us better results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 am 

I don't think it was mentioned in the review at blu-ray.com, but what struck me the most with the Antoine et Antoinette blu-ray was some severe banding compression artefacts. It's quite hard to capture and see these artefacts on a still frame, but it's quite visible in motion.

Perhaps a bit of banding is visible in the left part of this screencap (grabbed in uncompressed png without further compression):

http://gupl.dk/690467/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 pm 

Solid review of Loulou at blu-ray.com and comments to the effect that the other two Pialats (A nos amours and Van Gogh) seem to be of a similar standard and maybe a return to form for Gaumont after several disasters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

Watched Van Gogh Blu tonight and was mightily impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm 

Blu-ray of André Téchiné's Les Soeurs Brontë looks great, has English subs, and the film was better than I'd expected.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next