Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
cinemaguild

Re: Cinema Guild

#376 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:49 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Will the Sokurov set (which looks gorgeous) be on sale during the upcoming Cyber Sale? And would one have to cancel my previous order to take advantage of it?
The set won't be on sale. It'll be 50% off everything, except pre-orders, which is basiscally the set and OUR BELOVED MONTH OF AUGUST (both, of course, will already be 30% off).

htshell

#377 Post by htshell » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:44 am

cinemaguild wrote:We are moving ahead with a TWO YEARS AT SEA DVD. It'll be released on 4/16/13. Too early for us to announce bonus features, but we are hoping to include additional shorts by Ben Rivers along with some surprises.
Wondering why this wouldn't be a blu-ray as it distributes in HD (in addition to 35mm).

FerdinandGriffon

#378 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:35 am

For the same reasons that so many other 35mm films are still released on home video in DVD format?

Besides, the film was shot on 16mm and hand processed. Very lo-fi, if you will.

In any case, a remarkable film. I urge all fence-sitters to leap at it.

cinemaguild

#379 Post by cinemaguild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am

htshell wrote:
cinemaguild wrote:We are moving ahead with a TWO YEARS AT SEA DVD. It'll be released on 4/16/13. Too early for us to announce bonus features, but we are hoping to include additional shorts by Ben Rivers along with some surprises.
Wondering why this wouldn't be a blu-ray as it distributes in HD (in addition to 35mm).
Unfortunately the cost for producing a blu-ray (especially a properly produced bluray) is significantly higher than a DVD. So as much as we'd like to release everything on Blu, it's just impossible to do so right now.

htshell

#380 Post by htshell » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm

That makes more sense than what the poster above said. (FWIW, I believe it was shown via HDCam in most festivals, FerdinandGriffon.) Thanks for your response, cinemaguild!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#381 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Cinema Guild tweeted that the sale starts Thursday at midnight and runs through the weekend.
Edit: Just checked the website and it's 23-26 November.

Telstar

#382 Post by Telstar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Cinema Guild tweeted that the sale starts Thursday at midnight and runs through the weekend.
Edit: Just checked the website and it's 23-26 November.
Anyone know about their shipping charges?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#383 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I think it depends on the order size. Last order I placed for four titles had a $5 charge. Just put two titles in my cart and the shipping charge for that would be $4.

repeat

#384 Post by repeat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 am

Are the sale prices valid for overseas orders as well?

neilist

#385 Post by neilist » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 am

repeat wrote:Are the sale prices valid for overseas orders as well?
They may well be, but if you go to buy an item from their website, when you add your postage details the country is fixed as United States and it says below 'PLEASE NOTE: All customers wishing to place an International order, must call our office at (212) 685-6242', so if you need to call them anyway to place an order, they will be able to confirm prices then.

John Edmond

#386 Post by John Edmond » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:03 am

Last sale they had no problem with email requests.

cinemaguild

#387 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 am

Our Cyber Sale is now live! Explore, enjoy and spread the word!

http://www.cinemaguild.com/homevideo/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Email us at sale@cinemaguild.com with any questions.

What A Disgrace

#388 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm

On Wednesday, I attempted to cancel a pre-order I had made, as I will sadly not be able to afford the Sokurov collection at this time (though a friend of mine, still looking for something to get me, may get the hint). I called Cinema Guild, and the person on the phone said (after just getting my name), that I should receive an email confirming that my order was cancelled, but this hasn't happened yet, nor have I been refunded the amount on my card. How long does it usually take for an order to be cancelled?

cinemaguild

#389 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:02 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:On Wednesday, I attempted to cancel a pre-order I had made, as I will sadly not be able to afford the Sokurov collection at this time (though a friend of mine, still looking for something to get me, may get the hint). I called Cinema Guild, and the person on the phone said (after just getting my name), that I should receive an email confirming that my order was cancelled, but this hasn't happened yet, nor have I been refunded the amount on my card. How long does it usually take for an order to be cancelled?
It could take a few days, but the cancellation definitely went thru (we have your info from the order email). We closed early on Wed and are closed today, but will send confirmation on Monday morning.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#390 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:31 pm

The box set is on my list, but Sokurov's Alexandra is also just as good, right?

Matt

#391 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Is that a rhetorical question? My opinion would be "no, not by a long shot."

warren oates

#392 Post by warren oates » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:01 pm

I have to agree with Matt. Sokurov is a master and I love CG, but Alexandra is his weakest feature in some time. Surprisingly bland visually, overly verbal and infused with the reactionary political views of its protagonist.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#393 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:05 pm

It was a serious question so I'll just pass on Alexandra this round. I figured that since we were all aflutter about the box set that one more movie of his would be worth the purchase. The review blurbs on the movie page were certainly intriguing enough.
Last edited by Jean-Luc Garbo on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Filmgoer2075

#394 Post by Filmgoer2075 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:The box set is on my list, but Sokurov's Alexandra is also just as good, right?
I disagree strongly with some of the other commenters on this page. Alexandra is one of Sokurov's best films, up there with Mother and Son, Russian Ark and Whispering Pages. In fact, it is distinctly related to all 3 - a very beautiful, enigmatic film. No other director could pull off such a conceit, in my opinion. It's pure Sokurov. And I'm not a fan of everything he does. I didn't particularly like Moloch, The Sun or Faust, but Alexandra is definitely a masterpiece.

John Cope

#395 Post by John Cope » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Filmgoer2075 wrote:
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:The box set is on my list, but Sokurov's Alexandra is also just as good, right?
I disagree strongly with some of the other commenters on this page. Alexandra is one of Sokurov's best films, up there with Mother and Son, Russian Ark and Whispering Pages. In fact, it is distinctly related to all 3 - a very beautiful, enigmatic film. No other director could pull off such a conceit, in my opinion. It's pure Sokurov. And I'm not a fan of everything he does. I didn't particularly like Moloch, The Sun or Faust, but Alexandra is definitely a masterpiece.
It surely is and it's almost inconceivable to me that anyone could think otherwise, though of course quite clearly they can. Still, there is always room for disagreement as I consider Father and Son to be better than Mother and Son and the much maligned Taurus to be amongst his best by far. I also prefer his dialogues with Solzhenitsyn (The Knot) to just about everything else.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#397 Post by Caligula » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:23 am

I enquired per email as to the costs of sending Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and The Turin Horse to South Africa - 15 USD. Because their ordering system doesn't make provision for overseas orders you then either have to email in your credit card particulars (not an option for me) or phone it in with the cost of an international call then added to the total cost of the order. Pity they don't accept Paypal - would have made things easier.

At this stage I'd rather wait for the 40% Barnes & Noble BD-sale in December and (hopefully) include these items with my order. Pity as I would have liked to support them directly.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#398 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 am

Aren't BD releases from boutique labels like CG typically excluded from those B&N sales?

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#399 Post by Caligula » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 am

The previous sale had Cinema Guild, Olive and Synapse excluded online but not in store (which doesn't help me much, either). Will have to see how things turn out this year - hence the word "hopefully" inserted in brackets in my previous post.

SpiderBaby

#400 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Question, as this was the first time I have ordered directly from CG's website, do you receive an e-mail for when your order is shipped (just a confirmation and/or a tracking #)? Thanks.