Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
htshell

Re: Cinema Guild

#351 Post by htshell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 pm

A Ben Rivers set on blu-ray would be excellent.

criterionsnob

#352 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:33 pm

From Twitter
SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS, box set featuring WHISPERING PAGES (Blu-ray!), STONE (DVD) & SAVE AND PROTECT (DVD).12/18.

warren oates

#353 Post by warren oates » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm

criterionsnob wrote:From Twitter
SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS, box set featuring WHISPERING PAGES (Blu-ray!), STONE (DVD) & SAVE AND PROTECT (DVD).12/18.
This just made my year. So happy to be seeing any of these on DVD at all. Blown away that at least the most beautiful and experimental narrative feature Sokurov ever made will be on Blu. Slightly saddened that the other masters aren't up to hi def quality, which seems likely the only reason they won't be on Blu too. But man what a difference a year or so makes. I remember when CG thought they couldn't get WHISPERING PAGES at all or that the available elements were just too badly damaged. Now they have a master that's good enough for Blu-ray. The extras on this set look pretty great too, including a commentary from James Quandt. All in time to make this the perfect stocking stuffer for every fan of world cinema who doesn't yet know that Sokurov is the greatest living director*. Woo-hoo!

*(yeah, I know, Godard is still alive... how about the most underrated living master?)

cinemaguild

#354 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 am

But man what a difference a year or so makes. I remember when CG thought they couldn't get WHISPERING PAGES at all or that the available elements were just too badly damaged. Now they have a master that's good enough for Blu-ray. The extras on this set look pretty great too, including a commentary from James Quandt. All in time to make this the perfect stocking stuffer for every fan of world cinema who doesn't yet know that Sokurov is the greatest living director*. Woo-hoo!
It was looking pretty grim for this set last year, particularly for WHISPERING PAGES. But earlier this year, a 35mm negative of the film, dating back to its production, was discovered in Germany. Sokurov and the producers created Hi-def elements from this negative... so the film and the blu-ray looks amazing (and probably has never looked this good). STONE and SAVE AND PROTECT look good as well, but unfortunately, the prints and masters were not kept in the most pristine of conditions over the years. So our transfers are made from the best existing materials for these two films.

Here's the disc breakdown:

DISC ONE – WHISPERING PAGES (Blu-ray)
· An Example of Intonation (1991, 48 minutes)
· Soviet Elegy (1992, 68 minutes)
· Questions About Cinema, a documentary on Alexander Sokurov (2008, 60 minutes)

DISC TWO – STONE (DVD)
· Audio Commentary by film scholar James Quandt
· Diary of St. Petersburg: Kozintsev's Flat (1998, 48 minutes)
· "The House That Chekhov Built," a BBC audio program on Anton Chekhov's house in Yalta, the setting for STONE (30 minutes)
· Sonata For Hitler (1979-1989, 10 minutes)

DISC THREE – SAVE AND PROTECT (DVD)
· SD copy of WHISPERING PAGES (1994, 70 minutes)

Here's the set's page on our site - http://cinemaguild.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... gory_Code=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As always, thanks for all of your support... We really appreciate it.

MichaelB

#355 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 am

I'm assuming the 133-minute cut of Save and Protect is essentially the same as the 127-minute Artificial Eye version, taking PAL speedup into account - so do you know why it was cut? I assume it's Sokurov-approved, since a news item on his website refers to a 2009 "director's cut" of the film, and the AE print includes that date in the opening credits.

cinemaguild

#356 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:54 am

MichaelB wrote:I'm assuming the 133-minute cut of Save and Protect is essentially the same as the 127-minute Artificial Eye version, taking PAL speedup into account - so do you know why it was cut? I assume it's Sokurov-approved, since a news item on his website refers to a 2009 "director's cut" of the film, and the AE print includes that date in the opening credits.
Yes, it should be the same cut and definitely Sokurov approved. He personally made the new edit in 2009 and feels this is the definitive version of the film. The older version has been taken out of circulation.

MichaelB

#357 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks - I'm reviewing the Artificial Eye box for Sight & Sound, so I'll make that clear.

bigP

#358 Post by bigP » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:30 pm

This set looks phenomenal. This is looking to be a very late contender for release of the year... and then some. Congratulations on the hard work Cinema Guild, you've been firing all cylinders this year and it really shows. I really hope this set sells well, both financially for yourselves with your taking the risk of going BD with Whispering Pages and also to create further exposure for Sokurov.

McCrutchy

#359 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:35 pm

cinemaguild wrote:As always, thanks for all of your support... We really appreciate it.
Times are tight right now, but this set is too good to resist.

I'm buying the hell out of this set on Friday, as soon as I get some money.
Last edited by McCrutchy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrixschmatrix

#360 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Is there a Sokurov thread or anything I can read about him anywhere? This sounds intriguing, but I know literally nothing about the man beyond what I've seen in incidental references.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#361 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Here's a thread, matrix.

Speaking of Sokurov, Cinema Guild, are you aware of the problems plaguing the AE edition of Faust, and that this is preventing everyone in the world from importing and experiencing this amazing film? Secondly, do you have any plans to remedy this situation? :wink:

McCrutchy

#362 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

swo17 wrote:Speaking of Sokurov, Cinema Guild, are you aware of the problems plaguing the AE edition of Faust, and that this is preventing everyone in the world from importing and experiencing this amazing film? Secondly, do you have any plans to remedy this situation? :wink:
I want to ask the same questions (read: A Cinema Guild Blu-ray of Faust), but I don't want to sound spoiled... :oops:

Grand Illusion

#363 Post by Grand Illusion » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:17 pm

A Cinema Guild Faust would really make my October tenth.

cinemaguild

#364 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:32 am

Unfortunately, while we're clearly big fans of Sokurov here, we won't be releasing FAUST. (It is an amazing film though; has much in common with early Sokurov's like SAVE AND PROTECT and MOURNFUL INDIFFERENCE)

Zot!

#365 Post by Zot! » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:12 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Is there a Sokurov thread or anything I can read about him anywhere? This sounds intriguing, but I know literally nothing about the man beyond what I've seen in incidental references.
To state the obvious, he's a filmmaker where you should probably just watch one of his films to get acquainted, as his style is very visual and poetic, so not easilly explained. A good number of his movies were available on dvd, and so you should be able to track one down at a library or something. His big "hits" were MOTHER AND SON and RUSSIAN ARK.

I'm guessing that Kino has abandoned their proposed BD of The Sun?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#366 Post by Brian C » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 am

I emailed Kino about their The Sun BD back in May 2010 when the pre-orders disappeared, and got a reply back that it was cancelled.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#367 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 am

cinemaguild wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I'm assuming the 133-minute cut of Save and Protect is essentially the same as the 127-minute Artificial Eye version, taking PAL speedup into account - so do you know why it was cut? I assume it's Sokurov-approved, since a news item on his website refers to a 2009 "director's cut" of the film, and the AE print includes that date in the opening credits.
Yes, it should be the same cut and definitely Sokurov approved. He personally made the new edit in 2009 and feels this is the definitive version of the film. The older version has been taken out of circulation.
For info the French edition is still current and clocks in at 150 minutes
Anyone know who's got Faust in Region 1 for those of us still tentative about the AE?

McCrutchy

#368 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:44 pm

cinemaguild wrote:Unfortunately, while we're clearly big fans of Sokurov here, we won't be releasing FAUST. (It is an amazing film though; has much in common with early Sokurov's like SAVE AND PROTECT and MOURNFUL INDIFFERENCE)
Out of curiosity, has anyone licensed it yet? I haven't seen any information on US distribution at all.

What A Disgrace

#369 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:17 am

According to Facebook, another Cyber Sale begins next week.

JamesF

#370 Post by JamesF » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

AlexHansen wrote:CG just linked to an article in the Times about Ben Rivers' Two Years at Sea with a note to stay tuned for some exciting news next week. My knees are weak with anticipation.
Just to add since it hasn't come up here - the UK DVD for Two Years At Sea is out next Monday, and comes with several deleted scenes as well as the short film that inspired it. It also comes in a digipack with booklet.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#371 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

AlexHansen on 10/6/12 wrote:CG just linked to an article in the Times about Ben Rivers' Two Years at Sea with a note to stay tuned for some exciting news next week. My knees are weak with anticipation.
Did this exciting news ever come out? And if not, how long has AlexHansen been passed out on the floor? Should someone call 911?

cinemaguild

#372 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:41 pm

swo17 wrote:
AlexHansen on 10/6/12 wrote:CG just linked to an article in the Times about Ben Rivers' Two Years at Sea with a note to stay tuned for some exciting news next week. My knees are weak with anticipation.
Did this exciting news ever come out? And if not, how long has AlexHansen been passed out on the floor? Should someone call 911?
We are moving ahead with a TWO YEARS AT SEA DVD. It'll be released on 4/16/13. Too early for us to announce bonus features, but we are hoping to include additional shorts by Ben Rivers along with some surprises.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#373 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Sounds great!

cinemaguild

#374 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:27 pm

With our SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS set now wrapped and on its way to the printers, here's a peek at the art:

What A Disgrace

#375 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Will the Sokurov set (which looks gorgeous) be on sale during the upcoming Cyber Sale? And would one have to cancel my previous order to take advantage of it?