Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
manicsounds

Re: Warner gets distribution deal of Paramount films

#151 Post by manicsounds » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:01 pm

With all the early Paramount titles at Universal, their obscure titles going to Olive, premium titles at Criterion, and many majors going to Warner, looks like Paramount are just being lazy on releasing their stuff on their own.

Jeff

Re: Warner gets distribution deal of Paramount films

#152 Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm

manicsounds wrote:With all the early Paramount titles at Universal, their obscure titles going to Olive, premium titles at Criterion, and many majors going to Warner, looks like Paramount are just being lazy on releasing their stuff on their own.
I don't know that it's necessarily laziness. They simply want out of the physical media distribution business. I think lots of people do. They know there is value in the library, but exploiting that value for a profit is becoming an increasingly difficult niche business.

captveg

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#153 Post by captveg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

This deal does allow for some good box set releases of series that are split between the two companies, such as Friday the 13th.

Cold Bishop

#154 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Deal includes UltraViolet access to Paramount titles on Warner’s Flixster
This line makes me vomit so hard...

dx23

#155 Post by dx23 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 pm

I wonder now if we are going to see Zodiac as well as other Paramount BDs that have gone out of print being re-released in the near future.

felipe

#156 Post by felipe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:05 am

That means My Fair Lady is coming back to Warner? Great.

AfterTheRain

#157 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:49 am

I hoping that the long requested Samson and Delilah will finally see the light of day on both Blu and DVD because of this deal.

manicsounds

#158 Post by manicsounds » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 am

It's what everyone's been waiting for: Paramount titles via Warner Archive DVD-Rs!

felipe

#159 Post by felipe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:52 am

manicsounds wrote:It's what everyone's been waiting for: Paramount titles via Warner Archive DVD-Rs!
Which is way better than the nothing we've been getting for Paramount.
--

Which titles do you guys think will be first in line? Maybe A place in the sun or Shane? The Audrey Hepburn titles?

CSM126

#160 Post by CSM126 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:46 am

felipe wrote:That means My Fair Lady is coming back to Warner? Great.
Uh...it doesn't say that. MFL is a CBS property and as such may well not be a part of the deal (there is no mention of CBS titles being among those licensed).

captveg

#161 Post by captveg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

And again, these titles aren't licensed by Warner for Warner to do whatever they please. Paramount's people will still need to schedule and prep anything that Warner would then distribute. "600 titles" sounds to me like "stuff Paramount has released before that Warner can repackage for us", and the titles mentioned ("Braveheart, Gladiator, Ghost, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Chinatown...") seem to back that up.

Basically, Paramount doesn't want to be in the distribution/packaging business anymore except for a few exceptions ("Transformers, Star Trek and Indiana Jones").

felipe

#162 Post by felipe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm

But if Paramount doesn't want to be in the distributions business any longer, why don't they let Warner prepare the titles and release them as they please?

And why not license Transformers too? Because they believe they'll be able to make money with Transformers and they wouldn't with other films? I'm not sure I get this deal.

dx23

#163 Post by dx23 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 pm

felipe wrote:But if Paramount doesn't want to be in the distributions business any longer, why don't they let Warner prepare the titles and release them as they please?

And why not license Transformers too? Because they believe they'll be able to make money with Transformers and they wouldn't with other films? I'm not sure I get this deal.
For your first question, Warner has a recently established digital distribution program that will allow them to put these Paramount films through the awful Ultraviolet/Flixter crap. The digital distribution is the key here as the studios feel that is the next step in distributing films and "reducing" piracy. Maybe Warner would do some better releases for some of these films but it is most likely that they are simply going to re-release the same stuff Paramount provides. Why would Warner spend more money in extras if they already have fully loaded discs that they can sell for $10 without doing any extra work?

For your second question, the heads at Paramount probably think (and they are most likely right) that franchises like Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Transformers, etc., will earn them more money if they do the work themselves than licensing those to a third party. Paramount is not getting out of the movie business, they are simply giving away catalog titles to the highest bidder.

felipe

#164 Post by felipe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Ok, just to make sure then, does this announcement mean anything concerning new to blu-ray catalog titles (such as Shane, A place in the sun, Ordinary people, etc)?

CSM126

#165 Post by CSM126 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 pm

felipe wrote:Ok, just to make sure then, does this announcement mean anything concerning new to blu-ray catalog titles (such as Shane, A place in the sun, Ordinary people, etc)?
They didn't say, so how would we know?

felipe

#166 Post by felipe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm

People here love making predictions, so why not?

Jeff

#167 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 pm

felipe wrote:Ok, just to make sure then, does this announcement mean anything concerning new to blu-ray catalog titles (such as Shane, A place in the sun, Ordinary people, etc)?
Not really, no. Warner's large home video infrastructure may allow for Paramount to increase their volume of titles, but that's just speculation. Nothing has been "licensed" to anybody. This is just a distribution agreement, like Fox distributes MGM's product and Image distributes Criterion's product. Unless you're a wholesale buyer, the distributor doesn't really affect you at all.

dx23

#168 Post by dx23 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 pm

The problem here is that felipe is confusing distribution and licensing. Warner is just distributing. The benefits to the consumer is that we will probably see out of print blu-rays coming back to print, all these films will have digital distribution through the Ultraviolet/Flixter and we MAY see some boxsets that have WB and Paramount films in it. Maybe a complete Jason collection, or theme sets for stars and directors.

Still, with B&M stores slashing inventory on physical media, the biggest impact of this deal is digital distribution.

felipe

#169 Post by felipe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 am

But doesn't the article mention Warner will release new blu-ray titles and special editions?

knives

#170 Post by knives » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:03 am

That are designed by Paramount same as how Fox recently released new blu-ray titles and special editions for the Bond films.

captveg

#171 Post by captveg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Yep. For example, if we applied this deal to 2012's releases, the new Paramount Blu-ray releases in 2012 (Wings, Sunset Boulevard, etc.) would still be scheduled/authored by Paramount but distributed/packaged by Warner.

andyli

#172 Post by andyli » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 pm

blu-ray.com on Sunset Blvd.

manicsounds

#173 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:27 am

Jeff

#174 Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:09 am

Jack Clayton's dreadful adaptation of The Great Gatsby is due on Blu-ray on January 1.

knives

#175 Post by knives » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:12 am

I don't know if that is hilarious or frustrating in the face of The Parallax View getting shafted.