Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Murdoch

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#276 Post by Murdoch » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:24 am

While I'm not the fan I used to be, the "I'll be right here' scene still tears me up every time.

Roger Ryan

#277 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 am

I've noted this before, but what has made E.T. consistently work for me throughout the years is the subtext of Melissa Mathison's script (she does something similar with her screenplay for THE INDIAN IN THE CUPBOARD) that uses the alien to represent the naivete of childhood. This is nothing earth-shatteringly original, mind you, but the film is enriched by it. Drew Barrymore's sister is fully capable of believing in the impossible, the older brother has moved beyond that point and Elliot is on the cusp of leaving his childhood illusions behind (as he becomes aware of how devastating his parents' divorce is). Peter Coyote's scientist is, essentially, the adult Elliot who would like nothing more than to recover a small piece of childlike wonder that would allow him to believe again (note the scientists in hazmat suits examining the toys or the fact that Coyote's character is finally given a face only after entering the scene through a birth canal-like tunnel). One of the film's most striking images is the older brother taking refuge among his sister's stuffed animals as he recognizes what he has given up to be a teenager. I particularly like that the alien touches Elliot's forehead when he proclaims "I'll be right here" and not his chest; Elliot must remember what it is like to be a child, to use those memories in his reasoning in order to be a happy adult.
Last edited by Roger Ryan on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rwaits

#278 Post by rwaits » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 am

Nice Roger. I have a similar interpretation of the film but couldn't have articulated it as well as that. I watched ET not long ago and found it still works for me, though I understand why it might not for some.

rspaight

#279 Post by rspaight » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Matt

#280 Post by Matt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 pm

That's certainly encouraging. I'll wait until I see caps of the other films before pre-ordering, though.

manicsounds

#281 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Although I think most people would like to know if Universal have restored the 'Dracula Scream' correctly on this release. The green 'Dracula' collection I have is the messed up edition.

Peacock

#282 Post by Peacock » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:19 pm

A friend sent me some caps from Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Wolf Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon. They all looked great apart from the Wolf Man which has a strong amount of edge enhancement applied... so be prepared for the backlash on that one.

andyli

#283 Post by andyli » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 pm

The transfer of Wolf Man may be comparatively older. If I remember correctly they offered HD streaming of Wolf Man when the blu-ray of the 2010 version was out.

Peacock

#284 Post by Peacock » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 pm

evillights

#285 Post by evillights » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Isn't DRACULA supposed to be 1.19:1?

manicsounds

#286 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 am

it's always been 1.33:1 (or 1.37:1 to be nitpicky)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#287 Post by Drucker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

bigP

#288 Post by bigP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Beaver on Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Mummy. I can see this already being my favourite release of the year, regardless of the condition of the remaining films in the set (although The Creature from the Black Lagoon looking on par with the James Whale films would make this a certainty).

Thrilled that my set posted today \:D/

triodelover

#289 Post by triodelover » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Has anyone seen screen grabs from the UK versions? Is it safe to assume they are identical since every disc seems to be the same except for the exclusion of the Spanish version of Dracula, which I presume is a Region 2/B licensing issue?

MichaelB

#290 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 pm

The UK version definitely contains the Spanish Dracula.

And since the specs are identical (as far as I can see), it's a reasonably safe bet that the discs are too.

triodelover

#291 Post by triodelover » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:The UK version definitely contains the Spanish Dracula.
Well, that's what I get for believing Amazon. If that's the case, the sets (and individual UK releases) were probably pressed at the same plant.

Minkin

#292 Post by Minkin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:51 pm

triodelover wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The UK version definitely contains the Spanish Dracula.
Well, that's what I get for believing Amazon. If that's the case, the sets (and individual UK releases) were probably pressed at the same plant.
The UK page has changed from when it initially went up. It used to say nothing about the Spanish Dracula, but now it has http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Class ... YVFG1TG8HW:
Dracula (1931):
The original 1931 movie version of Bram Stoker's classic tale has for generations defined the iconic look and terrifying persona of the famed vampire. Dracula owes its continued appeal in large part due to Bela Lugosi's indelible portrayal of the immortal Count Dracula and the flawless direction of horror auteur Tod Browning.

Bonus Features:
Dracula (1931) Spanish Version
Introduction to the Spanish Version by Lupita Tovar Kohner
Dracula: The Restoration
The Road To Dracula
Lugosi: The Dark Prince
Feature Commentary by Film Historian David J. Skal
Feature Commentary by Steve Haberman, Screenwriter of Dracula: Dead and Loving It
Alternate Score By Philip Glass performed by the Kronos Quartet
Dracula Archives
Monster Tracks Pop-Up Facts (pop-up facts about the making of Dracula that can be read while watching the film)
Trailer Gallery: Centennial Trailer, Dracula Trailer, Dracula's Daughter Trailer, Son Of Dracula Trailer, House of Dracula Trailer
You can also spend 8 pounds more and get the same set in a stupid coffin.

How did this set turn out so well, when, uhh, most everything else from Universal hasn't?

triodelover

#293 Post by triodelover » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I bought the individual releases of four films, including Dracula, because I wasn't interested in owning four of the films in the set. Amazon's page for the individual release lists these extras:
  • Dracula: The Restoration – New Featurette Available for The First Time!
    Monster Tracks: Interactive Pop-Up Facts About the Making of Dracula
    Dracula Archives
    Score by Philip Glass performed by the Kronos Quartet
    Feature Commentary by Film Historian David J. Skal
    Feature Commentary by Steve Haberman, Screenwriter of Dracula: Dead and Loving It
    Trailer Gallery
After MichaelB's post and yours, I assume that was just an oversight in the Amazon posting since it would make no sense to press a different disc for the individual release. (And before any of the math wizards post that I paid slightly more for the individual releases of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy and The Bride of Frankenstein, I already knew that, thanks very much. :) [-X )

oldsheperd

#294 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:00 pm

I would jump all over the Universal Monsters Blu if it had all the sequels of the films.

Matt

#295 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Even without the sequels, the box is currently $55 shipped to the US from Amazon UK = less than $7 per movie.

stevewhamola

#296 Post by stevewhamola » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Plus I would rather Universal release a handful of good-to-excellent discs than risk shitting the bed with a 15 disc boxset ala Hitchcock.

manicsounds

#297 Post by manicsounds » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Maybe they'll release a sequels collection in the future.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#298 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Less glowing, but still overall positive review from Blu-Ray.com for Universal Monsters.

triodelover

#299 Post by triodelover » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Looks like we have another divide over image quality between Beaver and Blu-ray.com (or Gary Tooze and Kenneth Brown), particularly on The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man. Is it me, or are Beaver's technical descriptions beginning to look like boilerplate crafted to be as inoffensive as possible to the labels providing the discs?

Saturnome

#300 Post by Saturnome » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Even I can see the halos on Beaver's captures, I think they're worth at least a mention.