Jerzy Skolimowski

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Wittsdream

Re: Jerzy Skolimowski

#76 Post by Wittsdream » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Of course it's not because the movies are rare. TCM just didn't want to waste 29 minutes on junk because they had a 91- instead of 90-minute movie. Somebody over there has an (excessively) orderly mind.

The question is, why aren't you guys setting your recorders manually to avoid this kind of foul-up? Never put your trust in anyone on the other end of your cable.
I'd buy that logic in a New York second were it accurate, but The Shout is an 85 minute film that was accorded a 90 minute block of time without any Robert Osborne intros or outros to pad the program's running time, so there is absolutely no excuse for the oversight. The problem is that Deep End ran a few minutes over it's own programming block of time, creeping over into The Shout's 90 minute block, and TCM still ran it's standard advertisements in between films. Had I recorded the program following the film, I still would have been forced to somehow stitch together the continuity and miss a few seconds of time due to the appearance of obtrusive dialog boxes that end each recorded cable program (with a DVD-R edit) or been delayed watching the continuation of the film's finale as another program culled from my DVR library.

Even if you take the requisite steps to offset TCM's transgressions by recording the following programs, it's still not proactive enough to circumvent the problem and have a seamless presentation of the program that you recorded.

Either way, it's an aggravating thing to deal with, and could have easily been avoided. Luckily, there's an anamorphic DVD available on Region 2 for cheap. Also, the print used for Deep End was inferior in so many ways (shitty source and incorrect aspect ratio), hardly becoming of an event-worthy debut on its network, and particularly disappointing considering it has recently been restored.

Cold Bishop

#77 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Also, TCM is more than willing to schedule programs outside the usual x:00, x:30. You'll often see programs start at x:05 or x:15. And cutting off programs is something they have gotten better about in the last year, so it is surprising. My advice is to seriously write a complaint to TCM, as they seem willing to listen (Look what happened when These Are the Damned was similarly chopped off. They rescheduled it within months, and afterwards starting being more careful about scheduled times).

Wittsdream

#78 Post by Wittsdream » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:Also, TCM is more than willing to schedule programs outside the usual x:00, x:30. You'll often see programs start at x:05 or x:15. And cutting off programs is something they have gotten better about in the last year, so it is surprising. My advice is to seriously write a complaint to TCM, as they seem willing to listen (Look what happened when These Are the Damned was similarly chopped off. They rescheduled it within months, and afterwards starting being more careful about scheduled times).
That is true! I went almost a year of DVR-ing dozens of select films without any attendant problems having to do with programming block cut offs and such. But now, just in the last week, there have been 3 such fuck-ups: Deep End, The Shout and just a few nights ago, Huston's long unavailable on DVD The Kremlin Letter.

TCM's premiere of Huston's The Kremlin Letter chopped off the entire end credit sequence (about 90 seconds of programming). The correct running time for the film is 120 minutes, according to IMDB, yet TCM's published running time on its own website is 113 minutes. That shortsighted discrepancy, along with adding an Osborne introduction, was responsible for lopping off the entire closing credit sequence, which featured a cast of acting luminaries in various roles.

As you say, they could have easily accorded the program an :05 ending time, and it wouldn't have discombobulated any of their subsequent programming for the remainder of the evening. But what I'd like to know is where did the programming department come up with its 113 minute running time, when every other published time for the film claims 120 minutes? Let's hope they don't butcher McCarey's My Son John premiere next Wednesday night? It's one of the most difficult films to find on video, and it has a TCM published running time of 122 minutes. The programming block they've assigned to it is 135 minutes, which should be sufficient to accommodate the film's running time, along with the anticipated Osborne intros and outros!

Fingers firmly crossed!

patrick

#79 Post by patrick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Deep End will be coming from BFI Flipside later this year, according to an interview in the most recent issue of Shindig magazine (an odd place to get film news, I know).

zedz

#80 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:06 pm

patrick wrote:Deep End will be coming from BFI Flipside later this year, according to an interview in the most recent issue of Shindig magazine (an odd place to get film news, I know).
Which means BluRay. This is going to be a great year for British Skolimowski releases, if Second Run's titles are still on track.

MichaelB

#81 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:21 pm

I'll find out about Second Run - last thing I heard was that they were trying to source a markedly superior copy of Barrier to the dreadful VHS-quality one in the Telewizja Kinopolska box.

zedz

#82 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'll find out about Second Run - last thing I heard was that they were trying to source a markedly superior copy of Barrier to the dreadful VHS-quality one in the Telewizja Kinopolska box.
That's one of the great films of the sixties, so any improvement would be most welcome. You don't happen to have got any whiff of a UK release for Four Nights with Anna, have you? I know there's a Merlin order some time in my future, but nothing is certain at this time.

NilbogSavant

#83 Post by NilbogSavant » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 pm

patrick wrote:Deep End will be coming from BFI Flipside later this year, according to an interview in the most recent issue of Shindig magazine (an odd place to get film news, I know).
If this year's upcoming release schedule wasn't already so fantastic, this would be news of the year for me. Makes me think I should check out a few of the other Flipside titles while I'm at it.

MichaelB

#84 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 am

I'm delighted to be able to confirm that the BFI is indeed working on Deep End, and have started a dedicated thread in the BFI forums - though it's too early yet to post any specs or indeed any more info other than what you've already read.

tajmahal

#85 Post by tajmahal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 am

I noticed the forthcoming publication which might be of interest to some forum members. 25% off pre-pub here.

Zazou dans le Metro

#86 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 am

I'm a bit confused about what's coming from where DVD wise. Is it Deep End from BFI/ Criterion and just Barriera and Hands Up from Second Run? There's a copy of Le Depart coming from Malavida in April but no news of subs yet that I can see.

MichaelB

#87 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 am

Zazou dans le Metro wrote:I'm a bit confused about what's coming from where DVD wise. Is it Deep End from BFI/ Criterion and just Barriera and Hands Up from Second Run? There's a copy of Le Depart coming from Malavida in April but no news of subs yet that I can see.
This is what I'm aware of:

Deep End - BFI, Dual Format, summer 2011 (I've heard June);
Barrier and Hands Up! - on Second Run's slate (so DVD only), no firm date: last thing I heard was that they're waiting for Skolimowski to be less busy, as he's keen to be involved (especially on the subtitles);
Essential Killing - out on separate Blu-ray and DVD releases in Poland in March. I think these have English subtitles, but it's not an especially big deal if they haven't: half the spoken dialogue is in English anyway, and I doubt it makes much difference if you can't follow the Polish at the end.

I believe Criterion also has plans for Deep End, which makes it likely that the BFI disc will be Region B, though I haven't heard either way yet.

multivitamin

#88 Post by multivitamin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 am

MichaelB

#89 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:29 am

It is indeed cool, but there's no indication of English subtitles (none of my existing Malavida discs is English-friendly), and there's a distinct possibility that it may come out on a UK label before too long - I know of two who've made enquiries.

multivitamin

#90 Post by multivitamin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm

neither mine are, plus considering the movie is in french i guess we can forget about english subtitles. from the other hand, skolimowski made "le depart" not knowing a single word in french so... :)

btw, dvd is out in march 2012, the movie is currently in cinemas in france and i've just found something interesting.

good to hear that. so thumbs up for malavida, it seems that - just like second run here in uk - they're doing a fantastic job in france.

titanium

#91 Post by titanium » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:58 am

Pending the dvd release of "le Départ" later this year, Malavida will release in march a double dvd set including 3 versions of "Hands-up" :
- the totally unseen (except for retrospective screenings, and, rarely, polish tv) 1967 original version
- the 1981 version with the 1967 parts (about 15 minutes shorter than the original editing) being tinted as JS intended for this version
- the same but with the 1967 parts in normal black and white

Booklet will include :
-a rare 1967 interview with JS in film comment
- excerpts from an extensive interview published in the Camerimage festival book in 2003

Not english friendly

multivitamin

#92 Post by multivitamin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 am

that's the news!

tartarlamb

#93 Post by tartarlamb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Great news! I've always wanted to see the original cut. I don't necessarily dislike the 1981 portions, but I never felt like it properly framed, illuminated, or even commented on the 1967 footage.

multivitamin

#94 Post by multivitamin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am

MichaelB

#95 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am

If they're typical Malavida releases, they won't be English-friendly - and you can get the Slovak titles with English subtitles from Slovakia.

In fact, they're almost certainly the same transfers - I can't imagine there's any other source besides the Slovak Film Institute (which put out the Slovak discs).

JanPB

#96 Post by JanPB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:If they're typical Malavida releases, they won't be English-friendly - and you can get the Slovak titles with English subtitles from Slovakia.

In fact, they're almost certainly the same transfers - I can't imagine there's any other source besides the Slovak Film Institute (which put out the Slovak discs).
Just got them. Two versions (the original and the 1981 one with tinted B&W scenes) are in 4:3 format with some letterboxing. The third version is the 1981 with B&W sequences without any tinting - this one is an anamorphic 16x9. It includes more of the frame than the other 1981 version.

--
Jan

MichaelB

#97 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:22 pm

And no English subtitles, presumably?

JanPB

#98 Post by JanPB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 pm

MichaelB wrote:And no English subtitles, presumably?
Correct :(

Hail_Cesar

#99 Post by Hail_Cesar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Anyone know why it is not available on amazon?!

JanPB

#100 Post by JanPB » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 am

Hail_Cesar wrote:Anyone know why it is not available on amazon?!
It's listed on Amazon.fr but not available there. It's available at http://www.malavidafilms.com/dvd-haut-l ... 04-en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The page says "Not available for sale now" but it is in fact available (my order went through). They probably forgot to update the page.

--
Jan