Jerzy Skolimowski

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
tartarlamb

Re: Jerzy Skolimowski

#101 Post by tartarlamb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Great news! I've always wanted to see the original cut. I don't necessarily dislike the 1981 portions, but I never felt like it properly framed, illuminated, or even commented on the 1967 footage.

multivitamin

#102 Post by multivitamin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am

MichaelB

#103 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am

If they're typical Malavida releases, they won't be English-friendly - and you can get the Slovak titles with English subtitles from Slovakia.

In fact, they're almost certainly the same transfers - I can't imagine there's any other source besides the Slovak Film Institute (which put out the Slovak discs).

JanPB

#104 Post by JanPB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:If they're typical Malavida releases, they won't be English-friendly - and you can get the Slovak titles with English subtitles from Slovakia.

In fact, they're almost certainly the same transfers - I can't imagine there's any other source besides the Slovak Film Institute (which put out the Slovak discs).
Just got them. Two versions (the original and the 1981 one with tinted B&W scenes) are in 4:3 format with some letterboxing. The third version is the 1981 with B&W sequences without any tinting - this one is an anamorphic 16x9. It includes more of the frame than the other 1981 version.

--
Jan

MichaelB

#105 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:22 pm

And no English subtitles, presumably?

JanPB

#106 Post by JanPB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 pm

MichaelB wrote:And no English subtitles, presumably?
Correct :(

Hail_Cesar

#107 Post by Hail_Cesar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Anyone know why it is not available on amazon?!

JanPB

#108 Post by JanPB » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 am

Hail_Cesar wrote:Anyone know why it is not available on amazon?!
It's listed on Amazon.fr but not available there. It's available at http://www.malavidafilms.com/dvd-haut-l ... 04-en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The page says "Not available for sale now" but it is in fact available (my order went through). They probably forgot to update the page.

--
Jan

Hail_Cesar

#109 Post by Hail_Cesar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:16 pm

JanPB wrote:
It's listed on Amazon.fr but not available there. It's available at http://www.malavidafilms.com/dvd-haut-l ... 04-en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The page says "Not available for sale now" but it is in fact available (my order went through). They probably forgot to update the page.

--
Jan
Its just that with the extreme shipping prices from france I like to order more than just a film or two ;) I'd even prefer if it was available on amz.it since I could order all the french and italian dvds I want for far less expensive shipping prices...

...and 200 bucks of dvd :P

foe

#110 Post by foe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:36 am

Hail_Cesar wrote:
JanPB wrote:

--
Jan
Its just that with the extreme shipping prices from france I like to order more than just a film or two ;) I'd even prefer if it was available on amz.it since I could order all the french and italian dvds I want for far less expensive shipping prices...

...and 200 bucks of dvd :P
as regards " the extreme shipping prices from france" I was charged around 15 Euros for 3 Maladiva's DVS's I bought from their site whereas French postage stamp stated it cost them 6 ](*,)

foe

#111 Post by foe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Jerzy Skolimowski is watching "Rysopis" part I - part II

foe

#112 Post by foe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 am

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... 7B5F56EF47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foe

#113 Post by foe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:33 am

--> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XVAQRYE/ref ... Y4T4MRGYM7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:

foe

#114 Post by foe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:17 am

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjIGfBX8fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

!

foe

#115 Post by foe » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 am

--> https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/LFF/Online/d ... =11minutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

!

foe

#116 Post by foe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:40 am

So nobody has seen it yet? Perhaps everyone is disappointed? Perhaps I can't be critical towards anything made by Jerzy because I loved every second of it. From one hand it has the momentum, the pace, the formal playfulness that could suggest it was made by some kind of cinematic prodigy, from the other typical for Skolimowski's cinema ingredients like sardonic humour and that kind of "surrealism on the small scale" are still very present here. All in all it just amazes me how defiant and subversive, how new-wave (regardless of the Hollywoodian staffage that he uses probably just to make a mockery of the action blockbusters) his cinema - almost 50 years after "Bariera" and "Rece do gory" - still is. Funny thing for every positive review in the Polish press there are 5 negative ones. Poor misguided fools....

RossyG

#117 Post by RossyG » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 am

foe wrote:So nobody has seen it yet?
I understand it only went on general release in Poland four days ago and has only been seen at festivals outside of that country, so early days yet.

I hope it gets picked up for a Blu-Ray release in the UK, as did the terrific Essential Killing before it. Hopefully Artificial Eye, Soda, or New Wave are interested.

MichaelB

#118 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am

I saw it in Gdynia last month. I liked it well enough, but I think it's pretty minor Skolimowski overall (it's certainly no Barrier or Hands Up!) - although I certainly look forward to giving it a second viewing when it's out on Blu-ray.

The biggest problem for me was that the whole eleven-minute concept couldn't help but make it seem bitty and insubstantial, for all the undoubted cleverness of the staging. Although, that said, it certainly didn't feel like the work of a man not far off eighty.

(There's some dispute over whether Skolimowski was born in 1936 or 1938 - in such cases I generally assume that the earlier date is the correct one. This is almost always the case if we're talking about actresses, but holds up in quite a few other situations as well.)