Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
SamLowry

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#101 Post by SamLowry » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:50 pm

knives wrote:
CSM126 wrote:Don't you talk about Clue. Clue is fucking great.
Don't under exaggerate. It's the fucking greatest.
Just went to a midnight showing of Clue & while there were some funny moments, I didn't find it as uproariously funny as the rest of the (mostly college student) crowd. Unlike The Life Of Brian, Airplane!, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or The History Of The World Part 1, it wasn't something I envision revisiting. Then again the taste of kids today (judging by midnight movie offerings) seems rather pedestrian (John Hughes fare & 1980s sci fi or horror blockbusters) in comparison to the midnight movie offerings when I was their age (John Waters, Rocky Horror, Make Them Die Slowly, Querelle, Salo)

On the other hand, I just finished watching the Dietrich "box" which I thoroughly enjoyed. Would love to see Criterion pick up at least The Devil Is A Woman which I thought was even better than The Scarlet Empress. Why Paramount put 4 movies on a dual-sided dvd & then one film (one of the weakest of the set) on a single dvd is inexplicable. Would love to see Criterion do a von Sternberg/Dietrich box.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#102 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 pm

I can just about guarantee an audience sympathetic to Clue grew up with it-- it's only a generational thing in terms of proximity, not taste

eerik

#103 Post by eerik » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#104 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm astonished that the thing everyone is complaining about at that site is having to double dip on Crystal Skull.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#105 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Quite. On the contrary, the inclusion of Crystal Skull is enough to dissuade me from buying the set. I'll maybe pay for two films I don't really want, but not three.

eerik

#106 Post by eerik » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Tom Hagen

#107 Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Instead of Crystal Skull, they should just license the South Park parody for the fourth disc.

knives

#108 Post by knives » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 pm

That wouldn't need a license since they're both Viacom though it's far from the worst in the series.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#110 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Got my copy of To Catch a Thief and I can not BELIEVE how good it looks. This has always had a spotty home video record, as it always seemed like the masters were a couple generations old, but this transfer is a revelation. I am in awe

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#111 Post by Brian C » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:05 pm

Not surprised - I saw a DCP "print" a couple months back, and my knee-jerk dislike of digital projection (and Grant's striped shirt) aside, it looked pretty phenomenal. They would have really had to screw up badly for the Blu-ray to be anything less than excellent.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#112 Post by Drucker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 am

andyli

#113 Post by andyli » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 pm

I think this thread at HTF is worth sharing. Check the last few posts out.

kinjitsu

#114 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

DVDBeaver on Chinatown

Jeff

#115 Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:05 pm

knives wrote:
CSM126 wrote:Don't you talk about Clue. Clue is fucking great.
Don't under exaggerate. It's the fucking greatest.
Damn right. Clue now has an announced date of August 7 and is available for pre-order at Amazon.

eerik

#116 Post by eerik » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#117 Post by Drucker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Has anyone here seen the Chinatown blu ray for sale anywhere? I was going to just pick it up in a store, but the Barnes and Noble and Best Buy near where I work in NYC didn't have it, nor was it at Princeton Record Exchange in NJ or an FYE in Philly I went to over the weekend. These places all have Criterions, Hitchcock blus, Woody Allen blus, Buster Keaton, etc. etc.

Just wondering if anyone here has actually seen it for sale!

willoneill

#118 Post by willoneill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Drucker wrote:Has anyone here seen the Chinatown blu ray for sale anywhere? I was going to just pick it up in a store, but the Barnes and Noble and Best Buy near where I work in NYC didn't have it, nor was it at Princeton Record Exchange in NJ or an FYE in Philly I went to over the weekend. These places all have Criterions, Hitchcock blus, Woody Allen blus, Buster Keaton, etc. etc.

In Canada, I've seen it at HMV, and at Best Buy (where I purchased it).

fdm

#119 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Drucker wrote:Has anyone here seen the Chinatown blu ray for sale anywhere? I was going to just pick it up in a store, but the Barnes and Noble and Best Buy near where I work in NYC didn't have it, nor was it at Princeton Record Exchange in NJ or an FYE in Philly I went to over the weekend. These places all have Criterions, Hitchcock blus, Woody Allen blus, Buster Keaton, etc. etc.

Best Buy would be your best bet, but they're currently doing the trade and save promo ($5 off of any blu-ray with dvd trade-in), so copies of it are likely rather scarce at the moment. Suggest trying their website to see at which "nearby" stores it may still be available.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#120 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 pm

eerik wrote:Image
Such a missed opportunity for a triple feature combo pack.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#121 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Catch Me if You Can!! A film that desperately needs a new transfer despite the fact that is isn't even a decade old. You guys take your flashy Spielberg Blu-rays, this is the one I'm most excited about.

andyli

#122 Post by andyli » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

That's kind of expected now that Ron Smith left. I've stopped buying Paramount titles since Chinatown and lost hope in them. Wait and see what they will do with Sunset Blvd.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#123 Post by Drucker » Fri May 04, 2012 11:18 am

andyli wrote:That's kind of expected now that Ron Smith left. I've stopped buying Paramount titles since Chinatown and lost hope in them. Wait and see what they will do with Sunset Blvd.
I know I've asked it before, but I'll ask again: is Chinatown blu ray that bad? Still haven't gotten it, partially because of the mixed reviews...

hearthesilence

#124 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Well, if you can get it cheap, it'll be nice to hear that David Fincher commentary, but if you have the most recent DVD, not really. I think the Blu-Ray may use the same transfer that's been broadcast on TCM, and I know plenty of people who recorded that, so if you have the setup, you can probably find it easily on-line and transfer it to TiVo/ReplayTV/etc. If you have that and the most recent DVD, I'd just wait until they put out something better. It's not a bad transfer, but you get the nagging feeling that they should've knocked this one out of the park instead of using something they did years ago.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#125 Post by Drucker » Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 pm

I have I think the first DVD edition, without all the special stuff. Still, I guess I'll hold out for the time being!