Criterion and MGM

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
zedz

Re: Criterion and MGM

#576 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Was M. Butterfly directed by some other David Cronenberg?

knives

#577 Post by knives » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:45 pm

It doesn't exist.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#578 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm

The M stands for Missing

Cash Flagg

#579 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm

schellenberg wrote:
Matt wrote:Scanners is also Cronenberg's worst film, so there's another reason why Criterion shouldn't bother with it.
Uhh.. have you not seen Fast Company?
Or The Dead Zone?

Gary Gnu

#580 Post by Gary Gnu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Okay, I'd hate to say this debate over Cronenberg's worst film is irrelevant... But I have to vouch for Scanners. Cronenberg's my favorite director, but I legitimately hate The Brood. (I got through Stereo and Crimes From The Future, mind you.) Scanners was groundbreaking for being both an interesting piece of body horror, as well as the commercial success that was necessary in launching Cronenberg's career. I hope to God that Criterion doesn't (finally) side with the IMDb community on this one. (Avatar's the best movie ever, right??)

swo, I can't say for sure that Criterion's procured the rights to your recently misplaced quarter, but I do know for sure that you're not ever going to see that quarter from the same distributor again. I think your quarter was licensed by Miramax, anyway; so your post belongs in that thread.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#581 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Gary Gnu wrote:I hope to God that Criterion doesn't (finally) side with the IMDb community on this one.
Rest assured, when Criterion ends up not releasing Scanners, this will be the reason they cite.
Criterion of the future wrote:Sorry dudes, take it up with the IMDb community.
Really lame of the quote function not to have a future tense setting.
Last edited by swo17 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Gnu

#582 Post by Gary Gnu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm

swo17 wrote:
Gary Gnu wrote:I hope to God that Criterion doesn't (finally) side with the IMDb community on this one.
Rest assured, when Criterion ends up not releasing Scanners, this will be the reason they cite.
Criterion of the future wrote:Sorry dudes, take it up with the IMDb community.
:lol: All joking aside, I'm sorry for you loss, swo17.

kneelzod

#583 Post by kneelzod » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:49 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Video in the vein of the Crash one I posted earlier, this time for Thunderbolt And Lightfoot. If Criterion got on this, my glee for some previous releases would pale in comparison. Doubtful any of Clint's films as a director would make it in, but all would be forgiven if this were included.
Has there ever been any indication that THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is or has been on one of those aforementioned lists of MGM titles licensed and / or considered for license by Criterion? It'd be one thing if there were a decent existing DVD of the film, but the only previous release is 4x3 letterbox. I'd be happy with a bare-bones MGM Blu-ray, but the film's reputation seems to be growing in recent years, particularly with the lionization of Jeff Bridges, making it not altogether out of the realm of possibility to see some Criterion love bestowed on the film.

rossbrew

#584 Post by rossbrew » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Would love to see more 70's American films like Thunderbolt available on CC....looking forward to Heaven's Gate...

SamLowry

#585 Post by SamLowry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 am

Would love to see more 70's American films like Thunderbolt available on CC....looking forward to Heaven's Gate...
only after

Lenny
Smile
Carnal Knowledge
& Return Of The Secaucus 7

iceberg58

#586 Post by iceberg58 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:20 am

The Long Goodbye

atcolomb

#587 Post by atcolomb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 pm

iceberg58 wrote:The Long Goodbye
Saw The Long Goodbye on the MGM-HD channel....looked very good for a 1970's film.

Anthony

#588 Post by Anthony » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

I recently saw Bruce Beresford's "Black Robe" (1991) on MGM HD. It looked pretty darn good. Does any know if MGM controls the US distribution rights? Their logo appeared at beginning of the film. I believe this film would make a great addition to the CC.

isakborg

#589 Post by isakborg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm

I'll second that.

duck duck

#590 Post by duck duck » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:43 am

On netFlik Carnal Knowledge starts with a "Studio Cannel" logo and looks like shit.....

JPJ

#591 Post by JPJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:00 am

Doesn't anyone else love Ivan Passer's Cutter's way?One of the best films of the eighties and also great film about Vietnam war(the war is never actually mentioned).This one really needs to be in the Criterion collection.

Arthur House

#592 Post by Arthur House » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:54 am

duck duck wrote:On netFlik Carnal Knowledge starts with a "Studio Cannel" logo and looks like shit.....
It's an Avco Embassy title (like The Graduate, Darling etc.). Canal owns their library which has been licensed for DVD in the U.S. to MGM (amongst other companies). So S.C. is who Criterion would have to talk to in regards to doing their own editions.

According to Wiki, these following of interest titles* are part of the Avco Embassy Library:

Long Day's Journey Into Night
Zulu
Darling
The Thirteen Chairs aka 12+1
Carnal Knowledge
Scanners
Crimewave

*I dumped stuff like The Producers & The Graduate on the grounds MGM probably won't turn them loose.

atcolomb

#593 Post by atcolomb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Zulu was released by Criterion as a laserdisc many years ago in a good transfer made for its time, so maybe they can get the rights back again for a blu-ray release.

MoonlitKnight

#594 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:48 am

I second "Long Day's Journey"... particularly since it got dumped onto DVD in pan-n-scan the first time around. :roll:

kneelzod

#595 Post by kneelzod » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 pm

JPJ wrote:Doesn't anyone else love Ivan Passer's Cutter's way?One of the best films of the eighties and also great film about Vietnam war(the war is never actually mentioned).This one really needs to be in the Criterion collection.
Big fan of CUTTER'S WAY as well...I spent a day in Santa Barbara this past summer hunting down locations from the film.

Is the war never explicitly mentioned in the film? Even if no one says the word "Vietnam," Alex Cutter's (John Heard) broken body--minus 1 leg and 1 arm--is a pretty significant acknowledgment of the war and it's role in the narrative and impact on the primary characters. Aren't there also ample mentions of his veteran status in the screenplay, co-mingled with the resentment he feels towards his wife Mo (Lisa Eichhorn) and pals Bone (Jeff Bridges) and George (Arthur Rosenberg), none of whom served?

hearthesilence

#596 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:19 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:I second "Long Day's Journey"... particularly since it got dumped onto DVD in pan-n-scan the first time around.
Jesus, what a crappy looking DVD. It may have been the same transfer or master used for the last VHS release. I hope Criterion gets this, such a great set of performances, it's probably my favorite film adaptation of an O'Neill play.

Perkins Cobb

#597 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:48 pm

In Newton Thornburg's Cutter and Bone, Bone is a Vietnam vet, although Thornburg leaves it as mostly subtext, like the film. Terrific novel, by the way, with a different and perhaps better ending than the film.

Didn't realize the Long Day's Journey DVD was one of those Artisan botch-jobs. Yes, it needs a CC rescue. The performances are mesmerizing.

SamLowry

#598 Post by SamLowry » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:46 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:I second "Long Day's Journey"... particularly since it got dumped onto DVD in pan-n-scan the first time around. :roll:
I'd third or fourth that, but Darling is my first choice, particularly if Criterion could get their hands on the original uncensored print, but given that they released Salo & If... blu rays with edits, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Calvin

#599 Post by Calvin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:51 am

I'd like to see Criterion get their hands on Kore-eda's Nobody Knows after their stellar job with Still Walking.

eljacko

#600 Post by eljacko » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 am

Calvin wrote:I'd like to see Criterion get their hands on Kore-eda's Nobody Knows after their stellar job with Still Walking.
I believe this is owned by IFC, who released it under an agreement with MGM back in 2005. It appears to still be under that arrangement, as the DVD is still available on Amazon.

Far more interesting to me would be a new release of Maborosi or After Life, which exist in a really awesome set in Japan, with English subtitles, but no blu, and the US DVDs are out of print (and really awful). It would also be really great to include the earlier documentaries, or DISTANCE, which has no R1 release at all (though, once again, the R2 has English subtitles).