The Conformist

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

manicsounds

Re: Arrow Films

#51 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:40 am

Awesome. I'll have to get "The Conformist" eventually. But also, I have to eventually get around to watch the Paramount DVD, which has been sitting on the shelf (actually the closet) for so many years...

Also,
I finally finally received a new pressing copy of "Funhouse" with the Region B logo printed on the rear.

Calvin

#52 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Someone on Arrow's facebook wrote:why grainy?
Oh dear...

I think this looks stunning. I've been waiting for most of the Arrow Academy releases to fall in price slightly but I've pre-ordered this.

TMDaines

#53 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

I think this is going to be one of the few times I jump in early too, rather than waiting for a big price drop. Looks great!

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Calvin wrote:
Someone on Arrow's facebook wrote:why grainy?
Oh dear...
So much for me yelping with pleasure when I saw the grain!

In fact, this is one of the very very few Italian-sourced BDs that actually does look like film - and is all the better for it.

kinjitsu

#55 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Apparently, that someone is an Assistant Mastering Technician at Universal Studios Technical Services.

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

kinjitsu wrote:Apparently, that someone is an Assistant Mastering Technician at Universal Studios Technical Services, but resides in Turkey.
...and is in an open relationship.

Let's hope he doesn't graduate to Mastering Technician without learning the basics first.

Sundance

#57 Post by Sundance » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:11 pm

I wonder how reliable the DVDBeaver caps are. As it is, it looks to me like Arrow got some older transfer instead of the Cineteca Bologna restoration (or someone filtered it... :P ).

Is this really the difference between the two (not an exact frame but I do not know if its even the same scene)? Is a piece of the earring missing because of some filtering?)

Is there a reason why a BR transfer couldn't look exactly as the Cineteca caps? Their images are JPG compressed images so small in size that if an entire movie would be made from them at 24fps, it would fit on one DVD disc.

Calvin

#58 Post by Calvin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:01 am

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 am

I've already commented on the "small stability issues" - they're a by-product of sourcing the transfer from the original camera negative.

Calvin

#60 Post by Calvin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 am

Is the reviewer correct in saying it wasn't sourced from the recent Cineteca Bologna restoration? I still think it looks fabulous regardless (and what does it take to get a good score for extras on blu-ray.com?!)

MichaelB

#61 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 am

Calvin wrote:Is the reviewer correct in saying it wasn't sourced from the recent Cineteca Bologna restoration?
I'm not sure it is - I don't think Arrow ever said it would be, and of course the one BD release that was sourced from the Cineteca Bologna restoration looks hideous, so it might be the case that Arrow thought that the other master looked better (bearing in mind that they usually have to work with available HD masters, and Italians are notorious for slopping digital "cleanup" over theirs). There are clear differences between the Paramount DVD and the Arrow BD - for starters, the opening credits are in different languages - but there's certainly a possibility that it was from a similar source. Although obviously an Italian one, since Paramount weren't involved with this release at all.
I still think it looks fabulous regardless (and what does it take to get a good score for extras on blu-ray.com?!)
Rating extras was the bane of my life back in the days when I had to come up with numerical scores. In terms of quantity, this doesn't look that impressive - but the Forgacs commentary is one of the best I've ever heard, and the booklet is no slouch either. (The Bertolucci documentary is a bit whistle-stop, but it's fun). Certainly in terms of the volume of relevant background information you get, it's hard to fault.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#62 Post by Drucker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:06 pm

It seems to be given a bad rating just because it's not as good as the reviewer wanted it to be.

ellipsis7

#63 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 am

Guardian piece on THE CONFORMIST marking the Arrow release...

TMDaines

#64 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am

Did anyone's The Conformist pre-order get dispatched early or even today? Mine hasn't even left Moviemail yet.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#65 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

TMDaines wrote:Did anyone's The Conformist pre-order get dispatched early or even today? Mine hasn't even left Moviemail yet.
Received mine today from Moviemail. In France.

TMDaines

#66 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 pm

I admittedly only ordered early on Saturday but looks like I'll cancel now. I presumed they'd be quick to dispatch but maybe they work with low inventory levels ala The Book Despository, or don't have people there on Saturday.

Der Spieler

#67 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Mine shipped from Amazon last Friday.

triodelover

#68 Post by triodelover » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Der Spieler wrote:Mine shipped from Amazon last Friday.
Same here.

TMDaines

#69 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Looks like I picked the wrong retailer. Still wasn't shipped so I just cancelled.

Der Spieler

#70 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:38 pm

There's a mistake on the front of The Conformist. Berndardo Bertolucci.

On all four panels.

lol.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#71 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:41 pm

That's his name, you credtin

tojoed

#72 Post by tojoed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 am

Der Spieler wrote:There's a mistake on the front of The Conformist. Berndardo Bertolucci.

On all four panels.

lol.
I wonder if it will be worth as much as Rubber Soul with "Norweigian Wood" on it.
Probably not.

MichaelB

#73 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:14 am

I'd best not take the shrinkwrapping off mine, then.

If I remember rightly, the BFI got Pete Walker and Peter Watkins mixed up on one of the Flipside titles - which is a mistake so easy to make (especially if a template is recycled, as I suspect was the case given that Walker is 006 and Watkins is 007) that it's all too painfully clear how it happened.

Calvin

#74 Post by Calvin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 am

Not content with the DVDBeaver preview, someone over at AVSForum has zipped together a few Conformist screencaps to compare with these.

fdm

#75 Post by fdm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Calvin wrote:Not content with the DVDBeaver preview, someone over at AVSForum has zipped together a few Conformist screencaps to compare with these.
Referring to conformist_new.rar, are the a's from Raro and the b's from Arrow ? [Guess I need to find a copy of Screencap Comparisons For Dummies. Can these websites be any more cryptic?]

Edit: Just to elaborate, the b's look similar to beaver's captures, but there seems to be a lot more grain in the a's. And the b's look way DNR'ed compared to the grainy a's.
Last edited by fdm on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.