644 Pina

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

644 Pina

#1 Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Pina

The boundless imagination and physical marvels of the work of the German modern-dance pioneer Pina Bausch leap off the screen in this exuberant tribute by Wim Wenders. A long-planned film collaboration between the director and the choreographer was in preproduction when Bausch died in 2009. Two years later, Wenders decided to go ahead with the project, reconceiving it as an homage to his late friend. The result, shot in stunning 3D, is a remarkable visual experience and a vivid representation of Bausch’s art, enacted by a group of staggeringly talented dancers from her company, the Tanztheater Wuppertal. Pina is an adventurous work of cinema that highlights the bold legacy of one of the world’s true creative visionaries.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

- High-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders, presented in two editions: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray combo, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, and DVD
- Audio commentary featuring Wenders
- The Making of “Pina” (available in 3D)
- Deleted scenes with commentary by Wenders (available in 3D)
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Interview with Wenders
- Trailer
- English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a piece by novelist and essayist Siri Hustvedt; reprinted pieces by Wenders and choreographer Pina Bausch; information on the dances featured in the film; and portraits of the dancers

naersjoen

Re: Pina in 3D

#2 Post by naersjoen » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:28 pm

kekid wrote:Everyone seems to agree that this film was made for 3D experience. Today I heard a Wim Wenders interview on radio in which he said that he waited years to make this documentary because he did not feel he had the tools to capture the experience of dance. When 3D became a pssibility he approached Pina Bausch and said he finally was ready to do it. And he did.

Given this background, I am baffled as to why Pina has not appeared on a 3D Blu Ray. If Wenders essentially resisted making it in 2D for years, why would he have endorsed releasing this work for home video in 2D only? Of course I accept that 3D is very limited in terms of consumer acceptance, and hence would not suggest a 3D-only release, but a dual release was absolutely essential for this film.

Does anyone know why this has not happened so far, and whether there are plans to do it in near future? This would make a great Criterion entry into 3D.
It is available on 3D Blu-ray in Germany (also in a Deluxe Edition). I own it, but haven't watched it yet.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:17 pm

david hare wrote: My only quibble with the movie is that some of the longer ballets are (necessarily I guess) forshortened or edited, like Rite of Spring.
Oh, that does sound like a bad sort of situation. Would you be able to list any of the other edited ballets. I can live with less Stravinsky, but there's a few other dances in the film where I hope that didn't happen.

knives

#4 Post by knives » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:22 am

Ah, thanks for the information. Sounds livable if unfortunate.

dad1153

Pina (Wim Wenders, 2011)

#5 Post by dad1153 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Official Site.

If Herzog can film an ancient French cave in 3D, why can't Wim Wenders do a 3D documentary on German dancer/choreographer Pina Bausch? Saw this last Wednesday on IFC Center in NYC. Not in touch with dancing culture (except for the handful of dancing projects I edit for some NYC dance trouples at my regular work) or a fan of dancing/musical movies, and definitely not a fan of 3D. But could it be that we're all burned on 3D because it only comes in the shape of animated CG cartoons, action movies and/or Hollywood vehicles? Between the way Herzog shot "Cave of Forgotten Dreams," how Scorsese used 3D in "Hugo" to bring old silent films (and the French station) to animated life and the way Wenders uses 3D here as a tool to advance a different type of biopic narrative I'm warming up to the idea of 3D when it's in the hands of the masters. In "Pina" we basically watch the dancers Pina Bausch mentored through decades (her youngest pupils as well as colleagues and older dancers that can still perform) bring her best-known works to choreographed life, along with heard testimonials (one or two lines/thoughts in their native language) over medium shots of the dancers in contemplative poses, showing off individual dance tributes to the memory of Pina, etc. The handful of times we actually watch archival footage of Bausch (one of them a memorable cut to B&W 2D footage contrasted with its modern 3D counterpart performance of "Cafe Muller") it's non-converted 2D that simply underlines or highlights a moment or thought. "Pina" wants you to appreciate the woman not for who she was or where she came from (we get none of that) but because of the legacy of choreography she left behind, which gives credence to Wenders' decision to shoot these dance routines in 3D. Unfortunately a third of the dance routines are shot in a stage with a black background, which reduces the impact of the 3D since we don't have a background for the foreground performers to stand out from. Some, like 'Full Moon,' at least have some background elements (the water-buckets sequence stands out) but the dark portions still render the 3D effect mute. We do get a lot of trips into the real world though, and the 3D effects (especially the monorail suspension railway shots, both inside and outside the train) are just stunning when the setting/dancing are in perfect synch. While a 2D version of "Pina" (not being shown in NYC right now) would still convey the artistry of Bausch's choreography and the passion of her dancers (especially the one's overcome with such emotion they don't say anything) Wenders was wise to film these performances in 3D to isolate the beauty of the dancers, the seductive allure of their movement and the liberating nature of their dance routines.

j99

Re: Pina (Wim Wenders, 2011)

#6 Post by j99 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:11 am

kekid wrote:Given this background, I am baffled as to why Pina has not appeared on a 3D Blu Ray. If Wenders essentially resisted making it in 2D for years, why would he have endorsed releasing this work for home video in 2D only? Of course I accept that 3D is very limited in terms of consumer acceptance, and hence would not suggest a 3D-only release, but a dual release was absolutely essential for this film.
I agree, and I feel I'm missing out not seeing it on 3D. It's not even available on Blu-ray in the UK.

Cosmic Bus

Re: Pina (Wim Wenders, 2011)

#7 Post by Cosmic Bus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:33 pm

For those of you in Seattle, Wenders will be doing a Q&A after a screening of the film at the Cinerama on 4th Ave. tonight at 8pm.

Jeff

Re: 644 Pina

#8 Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Criterion announced for January 2013.

The Narrator Returns

#9 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 pm

If there was ever an argument to make me get a 3-D Blu-Ray player... this isn't one. I'll make due with the 2-D Blu-Ray for now.

imhotep

#10 Post by imhotep » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:22 am

I saw this at the cinema and it had THE best 3D I've ever seen. I work as a projectionist so I've seen alot of 3D but this stands out.

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 am

manicsounds

#12 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:29 pm

duck duck

#13 Post by duck duck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 am

Is there a problem with either of the BLU discs or just someone who posts on their Facebook's player?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#14 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:08 pm

I've never had even the remotest interest in dance before, but this movie really blew me away. I bought it as a blind buy mostly as an excuse to try and get my money's worth on some 3D glasses I recently purchased, and considering the subject matter I figured I'd grow bored partway through, but it really held my attention like very few films have lately. It was actually the first movie in quite a while that I really didn't want to end. The 3D is pretty essential; similar to Cave of Forgotten Dreams, I think a lot would be lost by viewing it in 2D. Definitely one of the best blind buys I've ever had; if anyone is even considering picking it up, I can't recommend it enough.

Numero Trois

#15 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:13 am

Yeah, I'm not a dance guy, either. You might also like Frederick Wiseman's La Danse, which focuses on the Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris. I caught it on PBS a few years back and was absolutely mesmerized.

vsski

#16 Post by vsski » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Finally saw this last night in my home theater and it was the first time I used my 3D set-up - I was completely blown away by it and it is for me the best 3D movie I have seen.
When I bought my latest home theater I didn't buy it with 3D in mind, actually I'm not even particularly fond of 3D, and currently own only 4 3D discs, none of which I had seen until last night. 3D usually gives me a headache, and the only 3D I have seen in theaters that I really like was Hugo.

But seeing this tribute to Pina Bausch last night really opened my eyes to what is possible if the technology isn't wasted on same cheap effects and gimmicks. It opened another dimension, literally and figuratively, to watching what I consider incredible artistry, human athleticism and beautiful images and visual compositions wrapped in one. Wenders was right to wait till the technology enabled him to develop his "corporal" vision of showing Pina Bausch's dance choreography. I have to admit that I do like ballet and have seen many stage versions of both classical and modern ballets, but this is the first time that a filmed version comes close to the full immersion you feel in a theater.

And while some have stated that due to the black background the full effect of what is possible got muted, I felt that it was appropriate given the context and the dance scenes shown, and while Wenders with the outdoor scenes opened up the images and made it less stage like, he also wanted to convey what it is to see a performance on stage.

The only regret I have as David Hare stated, that we are only getting to see excerpts of the ballets rather than full productions, although given the intent of the movie that is of course understandable, since Wenders didn't simply want to film a performance, but tried to capture the essense of Bausch's art.

I was also thrilled with the Making Of supplement on the disc in 3D, that not only shows Wenders' creative process, but also in detail talks about the way he wanted to use 3D, the technical problems he had and why he used it differently than in common Hollywood films - to me one of the best bonus content I have watched on any disc in a long while.

If all 3D movies were made like this one, I'd be a complete convert, but unfortunately I still feel that the format is used for cheap effects by most rather than exploring its real potential.

For me this is easily one of the top discs that CC has published this year, both for the movie itself, as well as the package it put together.

Moe Dickstein

#17 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:24 pm

What a great post - I wholeheartedly agree, and hopefully we can reach a point where 3D is used as a tool to tell stories with, rather than as a gimmick and unadvisedly used. Color made that leap, so hope to see depth filmmaking do the same.

dad1153

#18 Post by dad1153 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Just came back from visiting my father and his wife (hi, Kim!) in Arizona. I helped them unpack and install their brand-new 80" Vizio HDTV, which came with passive 3D tech and four glasses. They brought over some friends with whom they watched (and loved) "Life of Pi" in their own 3D set. So, when it came time to test the TV's 3D, I threw in "Pina" without telling them what it was and walked out the room (no 3D glass left for me). Afterwards they said one of them fell asleep midway, woke-up and enjoyed the 'water' ending; the other three said they didn't get it but that it looked beautiful and it was "different" than anything they had ever seen. These aren't Criterion people (as I found the hard way later in the week when I showed them Almadovar's "The Skin I Live In"... ouch!) but some portions of the movie (particularly the outdoors stuff) really blew them away. They also wanted to watch "Avatar" and "Titanic 3D," and they will now that I've left AZ for my Gotham apartment. :)

And for the record: my folks loved "Blue Jasmine," "Manhattan" (every Woody Allen movie I've shown they have absolutely loved) and "Harold & Maude," barely made it through "Tin Cup" & "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "Young Adult"/"Psycho II" were just OK.

Moe Dickstein

#19 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Titanic 3D is pretty fantastic

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Young Adult and Psycho II is some double feature!

dad1153

#21 Post by dad1153 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:29 am

domino harvey wrote:Young Adult and Psycho II is some double feature!
Actually we watched a movie per day for each of the nine days I was there. We watched "Psycho II" on Monday (I showed them "Psycho" the year before and they were blown away) and "Young Adult" on Saturday evening right before we headed to Sky Harbor to take my flight. We were testing the Amazon Prime streaming of the built-in app on the Vizio TV so that, if they want, my folks can stream movies using my Prime account. :)
Moe Dickstein wrote:Titanic 3D is pretty fantastic
I know, it's amazing. Saw a few select scenes on the 80" monster and it was awesome. Why do you think I left with my folks my 3D BD's of "Titanic"? They're in their 60's, it will probably take them a week to get through the 3 1/2 hr. flick. And "Avatar"? Ay, vey! :(

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#22 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am

dad1153 wrote:they didn't get it but that it looked beautiful and it was "different" than anything they had ever seen.
Pretty much what I thought of Pina (though I did get it, but I just didn't like it that much).

Moe Dickstein

#23 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am

Guess I took that to read "Now that I'm gone they can watch something like Titanic" I'm overly sensitive and paranoid it seems.

I hope Criterion gets to releasing more 3D.

colinr0380

#24 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:35 am

I've finally watched this (in 2D) and would generally agree with the sentiments here. Its a lovely tribute film but the cutaways felt rather jarring, especially those occurring within the Rite of Spring piece that kicks off the film (and to which nothing else can really live up to! Although I guess the film is structured by the "Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter" procession so it thematically has to come first!). That and the other long piece of Café Muller feel slightly damaged by cutting away and then returning to a further point in the dance. The other pieces work better as tiny trailers for respective performances that we see once and move on from.

In some ways it reminds me of Wenders' slightly wasteful use of soundtracks in Until The End of the World and The End of Violence. I'm not too sure that Wenders is at his best dealing with an piece of art as its own thing (you could add the rather muted commentary on writing in Hammett too), or the production process, but that feels like it is because he has much more of an interest in the people who do the producing rather than so much in the end result of their efforts. The end result feels kind of dead in a Wenders film, suitable only for background mood music (or at its worst a hedonistic distraction, as with the dream machine in Until The End of the World, in which it feels wrong to capture a dream and re-dream it again and again). It feels as if it is the ephemeral act of creation (or even just movement, motivated by an end goal or not, as in his road films or this dance one) that feels where the energy lies.

Perhaps the ephemerality of the water throwing section emphasises that sense of beauty only in the moment, so you have to keep moving whatever happens! (Though I was most amused in this sequence of thinking about that moment in the Simpsons during the school pageant in which Principal Skinner says: "And a warning for the first two rows, you will get wet!")

So as very much a modern dance novice I initially approached this for a chance to see performances, as much as to find out about Pina Bausch herself, which might have been a slightly wrong mindset to approach it with. You get excerpts of performances, stunningly re-staged for the camera, but rather out of context of their deeper meaning. I could be impressed by the dancers throwing themselves around (including the most jawdropping version of the trust fall exercise you could ever see!) but I couldn't really follow any particular 'story' of a performance. Is Rite of Spring really all about threatening men and timid women, as the excerpts shown from it appear to be? (It also made me think of the scene in Persona describing the beach encounter! There also does seem a motif throughout of women really throwing themselves around and roughly slamming against objects, other people and the floor in general, that seems as if it could be really rough on someone's body! Maybe its just the intended effect to have the audience wince at the women recklessly slamming against objects whilst in flimsier clothes with little to cushion the blows) What character relationship do the dancers have with each other in each performance? Is the yapping dog a central character in the dance or just a complication from staging a frantic dance scene outdoors?

It felt slightly as if I was left out of the loop somewhat on the wider meaning, though in some ways that worked to get my mind filling in the blanks about the purposefully backgrounded character motivations. I suppose that only highlights something that the audience does in any dance performance - project onto someone only able to convey information using their body movements and interactions. In many of the pieces in the film that works, though we always run into the problem of where the film has chosen to edit or end a scene, even in those segments that we do not return to. Has the editing, fading out of or ending of a performance fundamentally changed the meaning? Even in 'pure dance' terms on which I think we are supposed to be approaching the film - being impressed by the physicality, the use of props and interaction between the dancers - some of the wonder of watching an unbroken performance and the endurance shown by the dancers in being able to keep focused and performing under extreme circumstances feels slightly lost by time constraints. Perhaps the one area where that wonder of endurance and perseverance comes through most strongly is in the tip toes en pointe dance scene where, even lasting just a couple of minutes, the act is still mindbogglingly impressive!

As very much a modern dance novice it very much feels like a film for people intimately familiar with the actual works themselves who wouldn't have minded any 'message' of a particular dance being backgrounded for the film's primary focus on physicality and choreography of this particular dance company under this particular leadership. In some ways the piecemeal approach works in that each of the members of the company get their moment in the spotlight, performing some of their most spectacular and accomplished moments of dance for the camera, isolated from the wider context and embellished with the outdoor setting and 3D as a compensation. They are the moments where the individual dancers shine under Pina's choreography, but also moments that occurred spread out throughout a large number of different performances and disparate works.

I wonder if perhaps it would have been better to have one unbroken staging of a couple of the performances than lots of individual moments, even if that did allow for key fragments to get staged in stunning outdoor locations. In some ways its less a dance film than a eulogy of evocative moments from the journey of a career but, watching the company process off down the beach Seventh Seal-like after having been individually introduced to them with their reminiscences about what Pina Bausch meant to them, its difficult to be too harsh on the film for having that approach.