Movie Theater Experiences

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
gcgiles1dollarbin

Re: Movie Theater Experiences

#251 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Gregory wrote:West Coast vs. East Coast -- the differences are vast. The City of Sadness screening was at Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley, so enough said. And I'm as nonconfrontational as pretty much everyone else out here, even though I'm surely seething inside a lot more.
Really? Is this the reputation of the PFA? And of the West Coast in general? I have been there many times, and audiences have always been quiet as church mice. They don't allow food or drink, so there are no slurping or cud-chewing noises. In fact, I got nasty looks once from a patron there who objected to my intermittent sniffling when I had a slight cold. (I hadn't even noticed I was doing it until I received his rueful stare.) I'd be interested in hearing more about this mysterious West Coast/East Coast dichotomy...

Robert de la Cheyniest

#252 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

I suppose it could be an east coast/west coast thing. I'm a New Yorker and while I've found that sometimes Film Forum audiences are made up of older people who occasionally use their screenings as a nap time or Angelika audiences who just kind of suck (does anyone in NY enjoy going to this theater at all??), audiences are usually pretty respectful. The one time I had something like this happen, I was at Film Forum in January to see The Leopard, and someone answered their phone right near the beginning of the film, let me tell you, that guy was yelled at and shut down by basically the entire audience in unison before he could get four words out. It was wonderful

Yojimbo

#253 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:08 pm

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:
Gregory wrote:West Coast vs. East Coast -- the differences are vast. The City of Sadness screening was at Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley, so enough said. And I'm as nonconfrontational as pretty much everyone else out here, even though I'm surely seething inside a lot more.
Really? Is this the reputation of the PFA? And of the West Coast in general? I have been there many times, and audiences have always been quiet as church mice. They don't allow food or drink, so there are no slurping or cud-chewing noises. In fact, I got nasty looks once from a patron there who objected to my intermittent sniffling when I had a slight cold. (I hadn't even noticed I was doing it until I received his rueful stare.) I'd be interested in hearing more about this mysterious West Coast/East Coast dichotomy...
I was sitting behind two women at a recent Film Festival screening. When it appeared that they intended to continue their conversation into the opening scene(s) of the film, I emitted a pronounced harrumph, which had an immediate, desired effect on them.

matrixschmatrix

#254 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Yojimbo wrote:Yep, there definitely seems to be a 'better class' of citizen that frequents art houses, but I once memorably had to turn to request a patron sitting behind me to delay the completion of what might have been a five course meal that he brought into the cinema, until the conclusion of the film.
He obliged, reluctantly
Haha, I just had an entire meal during a movie this past weekend- but in my defense, it was a triple feature, and there wasn't enough time to get and eat food between the movies (plus, it was a Muppet movie, so irreverence seemed appropriate.)

That brings something to mind, though- has anyone had to deal with sound bleed in a theater? I was at the Brattle, and there was loud music playing from somewhere near enough that you could feel the bassline constantly and the lyrics during quiet moments- it was intensely frustrating.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#255 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:07 pm

In Los Angeles, there are very, very few theaters that happen to be independently own that show Hollywood movies. We are surrounded by multiplexes up the wazoo. I can only think of three off the top of my head, one that is single screen, two that are triple screen. I happen to grow up right by one of the three screen ones in the middle of northeast Los Angeles. It's ran and owned by an apathetic, old Armenian man who doesn't really have a passion for the place and just runs it to bring home money. And if you go to a showing before 6:00 pm, you only have to pay four dollars and Tuesdays and Wednesdays are three dollars all day.

When I was a teen, I was already pretty interested and well versed in cinema aside from what was coming out from contemporary Hollywood, but this place was my go to location to see whatever new films were coming out and for cheap. I went to high school about five blocks away from this theater and would constantly ditch sixth period to go see whatever film. And because the owner didn't care, there were always crazy experiences inside. I saw fists fights break out, I heard stories about people getting blowjobs during films, I would always sneak in burritos and 40oz bottles of malt liquor, cholos would tag the chairs or the floor in the middle of the movie and I will never forget during one screening, my friend thought the film was so terrible, he threw and entire cup of nacho cheese at the screen. And rats. You would sometimes see rats running around. The theater wasn't always that bad (especially early in the day where you only get us who ditched school and old couples), but there was a high chance of getting a rowdy crowd that was ready to yell, laugh and have fun at the movies. Especially if it was a good movie, the audience would completely be focused on the screen.

It makes me happy to place still gets as crowded as it does. Anytime a major children's film comes out, expect to see sold-out crowds at each screening. The Historic Highland Park Neighborhood Council and others have been trying to help improve the neighborhood by encouraging artist types to move in the neighborhood (which has sadly caused a lot of blue collar Mexicans to move to places like Las Vegas for work), weird re-modelings and adding bulbs to the 90 year-old sign on top of the theater. They can try to pretty up the sign as much as they want, but as long as the prices of the theater stay cheap and the theater stays in the area it's in, they can still expect fights, yelling, crying babies and food being thrown at screenings at the Highland Theater.

EDIT: Little side thing regarding the theater, but it's a few feet away from famous Los Angeles icon, Chicken Boy which was moved to that location about five years ago.

Gregory

#256 Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 pm

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:
I was not saying that filmgoers are more inconsiderate on the West Coast. I was replying to Perkins Cobb's suggestion of confronting these rude people and threatening to break their devices, which would not go over well at all. The "outburst" behind me (and he even said "please" and made no threats) did no good, and resulted in pent-up hostility throughout the rest of the screening that then erupted again as soon as the lights came on (the guy in question was mostly an exception to what I'm describing here). My experience having lived here for about a decade is that approaching a stranger with some insistent request, or making a scathing remark, let alone a threat, makes the person saying it the "bad guy," evoking disapproval from bystanders, even getting them ejected from the place. Even honking one's horn at a bad driver here is typically considered way too extreme, causing any passengers present to die of shame (except perhaps on some freeways where road rage is the norm, or if something so bad has just happened that one's life was in danger, then a honk might be acceptable). I've seen the same general thing in the Midwest.
The generally accepted expectation seems to be that West Coast cities are "tolerant" and "laid-back," (perhaps especially in havens of people who consider themselves "civil," "liberal" etc., such as Berkeley or Portland), with drastically fewer expressions of anger or open hostility compared to a place like New York*, where I'd see strangers openly voicing their anger and disagreement right on the streets and sidewalks several times a day. The way most of us deal with extremely rude behavior out West is by doing nothing, pretending everything is OK, and then complaining about it later to our friends and significant others, or even telling people off on an anonymous basis ("I, Anonymous" columns in Portland and Seattle weeklies -- or even my rant above) to avoid the horrible repercussions of calling someone out in public (not all of these anonymous rants deal with public breaches of etiquette that someone could have tried to deal with then and there, rather than writing an anonymous note to the paper later on, but many of them are. Under the guise of civility, a real lack of candor and honesty reigns out here. And as I've said, I'm as guilty of it as anyone, because I know that confronting a stranger in public about pretty much anything rarely has a good outcome for me. If someone is enough of an asshole to push me to the point where I feel like I should say something, then they're probably not going to respect my requests for a little consideration.
*It's surely not accurate to lump all of the East Coast in with New York, but it's not just NYC -- I've seen people be more "in touch" with their rage in several other cities back East.
Last edited by Gregory on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PillowRock

#257 Post by PillowRock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:has anyone had to deal with sound bleed in a theater? I was at the Brattle, and there was loud music playing from somewhere near enough that you could feel the bassline constantly and the lyrics during quiet moments- it was intensely frustrating.
"Sensurround" (or however they spelled that) back in the 1970s.
I don't even remember what movie I was actually watching, just that it was pretty quite (at least in some stretches). All you could hear, and feel through your feet, at times was all of the bombing going on in the showing of Midway in the auditorium next door.

In the realm of live theater, the Power Center in Ann Arbor is not so sound proof as to completely shut out the sound of an ambulance siren going down Huron right outside. Since the University Hospital is within about a quarter mile, that isn't all that rare. On the bright side, when it happens it is pretty brief and doesn't really disrupt things much.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#258 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Gregory wrote:The generally accepted expectation seems to be that West Coast cities are "tolerant" and "laid-back," (perhaps especially in havens of people who consider themselves "civil," "liberal" etc., such as Berkeley or Portland), with drastically fewer expressions of anger or open hostility compared to a place like New York, where I'd see strangers openly voicing their anger and disagreement right on the streets and sidewalks several times a day. The way most of us deal with extremely rude behavior out West is by doing nothing, pretending everything is OK, and then complaining about it later to our friends and significant others, or even telling people off on an anonymous basis ("I, Anonymous" columns in Portland and Seattle weeklies -- or even my rant above) to avoid the horrible repercussions of calling someone out in public (not all of these anonymous rants deal with public breaches of etiquette that someone could have tried to deal with then and there, rather than writing an anonymous note to the paper later on, but many of them are. Under the guise of civility, a lot of cowardice and lack of honesty and candor reigns out here. And as I've said, I'm as guilty of it as anyone, because I know that confronting a stranger in public about pretty much anything rarely has a good outcome for me. If someone is enough of an asshole to push me to the point where I feel like I should say something, then they're probably not going to respect my requests for a little consideration.
Maybe this is a something more emblematic of northern California and the bay area. I've seen outbursts, people telling others to shut up and more plenty of times. I also have a brother who would follow and threaten people on the streets and a girlfriend that follows and honks like crazy at people when she gets cut-off dangerously.

Don't go in with the mind set that they aren't going to respect what you have to say. You make them respect it. You paid your fair money for the ticket and don't want any asshole to ruin the experience, would you?

The American Movie Watcher

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#259 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

"The French movie lover hasn't seen a movie in years!"

gcgiles1dollarbin

#260 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Gregory wrote:I was not saying that filmgoers are more inconsiderate on the West Coast. I was replying to Perkins Cobb's suggestion of confronting these rude people and threatening to break their devices, which would not go over well at all.
I understand. And I agree that the stakes are lower in New York when it comes to audible forms of public aggression; here in Oakland, for example, a raised voice quickly accelerates to physical violence because even a "please-be-quiet" can be interpreted as a form of deep disrespect. If you were to break a person's cell phone in a theater, you would have to be prepared to break his face, too (or have your face broken). Then again, maybe that's just Oakland. Certainly not a laid-back town.

I would assert that an interrupted movie is not worth a broken face. But this is likely not a concern at a screening of City of Sadness, whether it's being shown in New York, Paris, London, Munich...

I think one would have to take it town by town, county by county, socioeconomic demographic by socioeconomic demographic, theater by theater. The exalted realm of Marin--just miles away from Oakland--most definitely fits your characterization of passive aggression. (You've probably noticed that I have a problem with that place.) I'd much prefer a vocal exchange in a theater than simmering, suppressed rage. But it's difficult to negotiate, because whatever you decide to do, you don't want to distract yourself too much from the film. That would defeat the purpose.

And, ah, of course, physical violence should be abhorrent to compassionate beings (if not always avoidable).
Last edited by gcgiles1dollarbin on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

#261 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:Yep, there definitely seems to be a 'better class' of citizen that frequents art houses, but I once memorably had to turn to request a patron sitting behind me to delay the completion of what might have been a five course meal that he brought into the cinema, until the conclusion of the film.
He obliged, reluctantly
Haha, I just had an entire meal during a movie this past weekend- but in my defense, it was a triple feature, and there wasn't enough time to get and eat food between the movies (plus, it was a Muppet movie, so irreverence seemed appropriate.)

That brings something to mind, though- has anyone had to deal with sound bleed in a theater? I was at the Brattle, and there was loud music playing from somewhere near enough that you could feel the bassline constantly and the lyrics during quiet moments- it was intensely frustrating.
In your case I suppose its excusable but I'm only slightly exaggerating in the case of that particular guy. He had a large bag on the floor in front of him and he was fiddling around probably trying to organise the different courses in the dark; I half expected him to be pouring a glass of wine before I intervened.
As for sound bleeding, I remember when the Stella in Rathmines was divided in two they didn't allow for proper soundproofing between the two screens so at any one time you generally had a fair idea what was happening on the other screen

Gregory

#262 Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:39 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Maybe this is a something more emblematic of northern California and the bay area. I've seen outbursts, people telling others to shut up and more plenty of times. I also have a brother who would follow and threaten people on the streets and a girlfriend that follows and honks like crazy at people when she gets cut-off dangerously.
Yes, Northern California and the whole Cascadia region is mainly what I have in mind. I can't speak to L.A. about this with any authority, but having lived in San Diego for several years, I found that it also fit the pattern I'm describing: people who are extremely "laid-back" on the surface, and extremely uncomfortable with anyone's perceived anger or unhappiness in any form. It seemed to me that the attitude most folks there project is, "Hey, whatever, relax, it's all good," while still complaining to others later on about rude people's offenses (similar to what I've done here, but I thought it was an interesting story), feeling entitled to be treated "nice" at all times, and often having no sense at all of their own blatant lack of consideration. I'm making some sloppy generalizations here, but I don't have any sociological data to back any of this up, and I don't want to go off topic with stories about experiences with neighbors, customer service, etc.
Don't go in with the mind set that they aren't going to respect what you have to say. You make them respect it. You paid your fair money for the ticket and don't want any asshole to ruin the experience, would you?
Right, but this etiquette is such contested terrain nowadays, with agreed-upon standards of minimal decorum apparently having slipped quite a bit. Back in the late 20th century, let's say, I certainly never remember people doing nothing to prevent children talking loudly, running through the aisles playing games, as I've often seen in recent years, often at shows that are not primarily kids' movies. Whether or not it's okay to quietly use phones even though the light may bother someone sitting nearby is still especially contentious, I guess.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#263 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

We are mostly talking about the "uncivilized" hoi polloi, but I have also had experiences with cinephiles who are way too precious. For example, long ago in Iowa City, I was witness to an argument in a theater that revolved around whether or not to close the door to the projection room during a screening of Dog Star Man. Should there be absolute silence or the sound of the projector chattering softly? What did Brakhage intend?

Of course, as ridiculous as I find this, there is a charm to people who are deeply invested in qualities of ambient sound. I can't say I didn't enjoy the experience; and per my post above, the screening was quite memorable for this distraction. (And my amusement didn't prevent me from voting silently: leave the door open...)

Perkins Cobb

#264 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Well, I lived in Los Angeles for a long time before I moved to New York, and I was as aggressive there in shushing idiots as I am here. I dunno anything about other West Coast towns, but y'all are making me want to undertake an ass-kicking tour of California movie theaters....

knives

#265 Post by knives » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Tell them Cobb salad. Silly northerners, who do you think you are, bizarro Canada?

gcgiles1dollarbin

#266 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Well, I lived in Los Angeles for a long time before I moved to New York, and I was as aggressive there in shushing idiots as I am here. I dunno anything about other West Coast towns, but y'all are making me want to undertake an ass-kicking tour of California movie theaters....
I would begin your tour here. :)

Jeff

#267 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

This makes me want to send donations to Alamo Drafthouse (rated R for language -- audio is NSFW)

knives

#268 Post by knives » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 pm

I actually just got threatened over something like that and I wish there were ushers like that to handle talkers at my local place.

Dirk

#269 Post by Dirk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:57 pm

If I ever find myself in Texas, I'm going to go out of my way to watch a movie at one of their theaters.

rohmerin

#270 Post by rohmerin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 am

Forget teenagers and Americans:

Circulo de Bellas Artes, a very highbrow place in Madrid. Pasolini's Teorema, almost empty., spring 2000 or 2001. A man in his 50's sits down 3 or 4 seats from me, and he touches his cock everytime Terence Stamp was on the screen. When Stamp desapears at the middle of the film, as you know, the jerker leaves the cinema.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#271 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am

Wow, I want to fly to Austin just to support their theater. Bravo.

Jonathan S

#272 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 am

This problem is nothing new of course. Here's an excerpt from Rodney Ackland's 1954 autobiography The Celluloid Mistress, referring to a presentation of Max Ophuls' Liebelei in a British cinema:
...the heroine had just been told of her lover's death in a duel - the scene was movingly acted and tears were about to pour down my face when, from the seats behind, came, in loud, upper-class accents:
"Did you remember to tell Fortnum's to send Aunt Florence that pie?"
"Oh, my dear! I completely forgot about it!"
A discussion followed. At last, unable to bear it any more, I turned to them and tried the "would you mind speaking a little louder" trick which had generally brought about an abashed hush. This time it failed. The couple appeared to be brother and sister whose account at Fortnum's had rendered them impervious to shame. There was a brief, stupified pause, followed by a hurried dialogue in only slightly lowered tones:
"What did you say?"
"Oh, my dear, don't take any notice."
"Was he trying to be funny?"
"Perfectly frightful!"
After this had gone on for several minutes, my exasperated companion turned, glared at them and quite uncompromisingly yelled, "For God's sake, shut up!" The pause that followed this outburst was deep and prolonged - then: "Jews, I suppose!" said the man in tones of ineffable contempt....

tarpilot

#274 Post by tarpilot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 am

That point about "presentation" in the comments is very apt -- last week I brought a friend to see Midnight in Paris at the local arthouse here and he remarked very positively about how it's the first time in years he's actually seen the pullback of the curtain to reveal the screen before a feature. Of course, he's also the same friend who has no qualms about pulling out his cell phone for a few texts in the middle of the movie, so, uh

MichaelB

#275 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 am

Ironically, the multiplex was seen as the saviour of the British cinemagoing experience when the first purpose-built one opened in 1985. 1984 had been the worst box office year in British film history - even allowing for the encroachment of television and video, total ticket sales of 54 million against 1.4 billion in the mid-1940s was a vertiginous plunge, and the industry might have collapsed altogether if it hadn't been for a concerted attempt to improve the quality of the filmgoing experience.

And, to be fair, today's multiplex is light years ahead of the horrible shoebox-sized conversions with screens the size of tatty beach towels that were all too common in late 1970s/early 1980s filmgoing - but corners are clearly being cut elsewhere.