Streaming Devices

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Streaming Devices

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 am

Could we talk about streaming devices like Roku, AppleTV, etc in one convenient place on this forum just because I have questions and legitimate fears about my cutting my FiOS off tomorrow? We can? Excellent.

So, I started a thread but don't have much to say yet. I ordered the XDS, because, even though I am going to hardwire (I always get the best results this way and my router is right next to my entertainment center), I wanted to have the most advanced unit, and the USB port. Speaking of which - what goes on with the USB port? Am I going to be able to watch XViD/DiVX files, whether out of the box or with a little tinkering? Will I be able to plug in a USB harddrive with an external power source? If yes, will it have to be formatted for FAT32? So many questions.

Also, I've heard tell about private channels that can provide stuff like ESPN, Comedy Central, etc. How does that all work, or is it just a bunch of hullabaloo? All these questions and more.

Oh, one more thing - Hulu Plus on the Xbox 360 currently limits some shows (Community, for one) to "web-only" viewing. Does that mean they also won't work on the Roku?

You can obviously tell that I'm terrified of this switch.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Streaming Device Issues and Questions

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 am

Oh come on, no fun thread titles allowed? *pout*

Mark Metcalf

#3 Post by Mark Metcalf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:56 am

I'm also interested in this topic because I just bought a region-free Pioneer Blu Ray player which works well, and is 'WiFi ready'. Now I find out that the wireless adapter for this player is no longer sold.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:02 am

From the brief research I did, it sounds like this is the product you want to buy. And it's apparently cheaper than whatever the one Pioneer made was.

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:04 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Hulu Plus on the Xbox 360 currently limits some shows (Community, for one) to "web-only" viewing. Does that mean they also won't work on the Roku?
Yes. They are licensed only for the web, not for streaming by any device.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Roku 2 announced mere weeks after I bought the fucking Roku

YAY I was still within the "I decided I don't want this" return time and for the cost of shipping (these badboys will fit in a small Priority Mail box) I can get a refund for my XDS. Excellent.
Last edited by mfunk9786 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwd5275

#7 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Okay. I'm pissed.
Just got a new one for a second tv TWO DAYS AGO for that exact price!!!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:29 pm

You should be able to return it regardless of where you got it within that window!

jwd5275

#9 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Amazon must know something's going on. They won't let me return it right now....

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:24 pm

What. I'm glad I called them when I did.

jwd5275

#11 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Bastards!
I even tested on a different item. It is ONLY the Roku box that they are not allowing my to return.

Update: If anyone else has this problem, a found a way around. Do not try to return the roku through the orders section. Go to contact us, then the chose the order there and it should allow you to return it....

rochester

#12 Post by rochester » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:49 am

actually, there're a few streaming apps for mobile devices

Matt

Re: Netflix

#13 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Roku has just announced a very cool little device: The Streaming Stick. No cables, no remote. Makes Apple TV look like a 1978 VCR. [Full press release]

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Netflix

#14 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:07 pm

We do have a streaming device thread, but someone gave it a stiff new name after I created it and no one posts in it

Matt

Re: Roku, Apple TV, and Other Streaming Devices

#15 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:47 pm

I gave it an equally stiff but more descriptive title so that maybe I could at least find it again.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#16 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 pm

What was mfunk's original languid title?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:05 pm

"Stuff"

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#18 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Sydney

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 am

Thanks to the latest Apple upgrades, I've been watching streaming video on my iPad for a few weeks, and it works pretty well if you allow for several minutes of finding the connection at the start.

In fact, I'm very tempted to get an Apple TV now, though I might as well wait to see if an Apple TV 3 comes out - the Apple TV 2 is 720p maximum, which is OK for me now (I don't have anything better than 720p in my iTunes library), but I might as well future-proof it. Or at least two-or-three-years-proof it.

yeahimajerk

#20 Post by yeahimajerk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Hulu Plus on the Xbox 360 currently limits some shows (Community, for one) to "web-only" viewing. Does that mean they also won't work on the Roku?

You can obviously tell that I'm terrified of this switch.
I was in your shoes a few months ago before I axed Comcast. My wife hates, hates, hates, TV and I do for the most part. The only reason I was keeping it around was for sports. I took care of the sports issue and then I realized what a waste cable was. Right now, we are fully Hulu + Netflix. I stream both through my PS3 and I haven't looked back. I read more, watch more Criterions (the Hulu has paid for itself) and listen to more vinyl as a result. So far, so good without TV.

I, too, am also thinking about geting a Roku - and I'm intrigued by that stick thingy mentioned above. I use the PS3 for BR playing, Huluing and Netflixing but I would use the Roku for some of the additional content, like Amazon Prime. How are you enjoying it so far? I've read that they break easily.

MichaelB

#21 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:10 am

MichaelB wrote:In fact, I'm very tempted to get an Apple TV now, though I might as well wait to see if an Apple TV 3 comes out - the Apple TV 2 is 720p maximum, which is OK for me now (I don't have anything better than 720p in my iTunes library), but I might as well future-proof it. Or at least two-or-three-years-proof it.
Since I don't have any 1080p material in my iTunes library and had a spare £99 thanks to a Christmas windfall, I decided not to bother waiting - and I've been delighted with it. It helps that it's very well tailored to my specific circumstances (i.e. a huge iTunes library that's more or less permanently switched on), so it might not be ideal for everyone, but I have to say that it was a fair bit better than I was expecting. Not to mention smaller - it's tiny!

It's particularly handy for watching things like the MP4 files of films recorded off Polish TV by a friend of mine - previously they'd be restricted to my laptop, but now I can play them on my 42" plasma with ease. I also love the way that it memorises where you've got to - so if I feel tired I can stop watching downstairs, go to bed, and carry on watching on my iPad from exactly the point where I left off. It also handles things like Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo, iTunes rentals etc.

Another nice touch - the iPad and iPhone can double as a remote control, which is especially handy given that the Apple TV remote is barely visible to the human eye.

AlexHansen

#22 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Can I Stream It? could prove to be very useful, though the results aren't completely accurate. Two films I know are available to rent via Amazon aren't showing up. Definitely something to keep an eye on anyway.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 pm

You're right that the site can/should be so much more, but thanks for the heads-up about it!

Roger Ryan

#24 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:31 am

In fairness, the site now has a disclaimer saying their Netflix database is inaccurate and they're working on solving the issue.

Jeff Bannow

#25 Post by Jeff Bannow » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Recently dumped cable and now have a Roku box with Hulu+ and Netflix. I'm liking it so far, although I have had a few issues with streaming quality and lip sync timing.

Has anyone found a way to stream the Academy awards to a Roku box? If not, this may be the first year in a long time I won't get to watch them.