Avant-Garde, Experimental & Non-narrative Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregory

Re: Avant-Garde, Experimental & Non-narrative Films

#476 Post by Gregory » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 pm

abkino wrote:I'm an aspiring filmmaker who has recently gotten into avant garde film. For someone dissatisfied with the state of narrative filmmaking, a-g cinema was a revelation. Michael Snow's Wavelength and Hollis Frampton's Zorns Lemma blew my mind and left me hungry for more.
Unfortunately, for someone like me who doesn't live in new york or LA my ability to access majority of these films is limited.
Folks in NY and LA don't have access to the majority of avant-garde cinema, especially if you look at the international scope of it. We're all constrained by geography, finance, and the challenges of distributing something that's generally unprofitable on any medium. Is the notion here that we should have unencumbered access to all existing cultural products, or all avant-garde cinema, or certain preordained "key works" or what? I would say just see what you can and take inspiration from any available sources. You can also find like-minded people and pool your money to rent and project prints, many of which are quite affordable.
I think we're all pretty spoiled by how much is available now, and it can lead to a sense of entitlement that we should be able to see literally everything. I can understand frustration over something not getting a DVD or Blu-ray release if it's a major studio like Universal keeping things locked up in the vaults, but it's another matter when a filmmaker her/himself does not wish to see the work transferred in a way that fundamentally compromises it. I know there was a lot of obfuscation and bickering to wade through in previous pages here, but there were lots of valid points here about how films by Snow and many others are about the material properties of film and film projection, and so on.
SInce this earlier discussion, the Brakhage films have been released on Blu-ray, and this gives us an opportunity to compare the original DVDs and show what some of us were talking about when we said those DVDs were a real compromise vis-a-vis seeing prints of the films properly projected. To a great extent, I think the differences among these media work in ways we can't be consciously aware of, so it difficult to sell anyone on the importance of these differences. But surely there's enough of a "tip of the iceberg" of what we do know to see where filmmakers, curators, distributors, etc. are coming from when they stipulate certain conditions under which the work should be seen.
Is my input completely worthless unless I see these films in their highest quality?
Certainly not, and you shouldn't pay attention to anyone who would say that.
The common assertion that it is not a 'right' of the viewer to be able to see films when they desire so is the very logic that cripples the avant garde's potential. Ernie Gehr not being concerned with how many people see his work is the exact reason so many film students love Kubrick and Coppola.
I don't understand this statement. Avant-garde cinema itself is esoteric not just by virtue of its distribution. I think if prints of Gehr could be shown to every film student in the land, the vast majority of them would still prefer Kubrick and Coppola. And some who liked Gehr would still love Kubrick et al. as well.
DVD releases help foster the original works as well. What should be my motivation to spend a lot on money to go see films I haven't the slightest clue of? If I know dog star man is quality, I will be more motivated to go out and see original brakhage works on film.
It's a double-edged sword, for sure. Criterion's Brakhage releases have hurt Canyon's revenue for those particular films, but the hope is that by leading more people to be aware of Brakhage, it increases interest in his other works not included in the set, leading those to be rented and projected more. Has it worked that way? Not as far as I've seen, but someone from Canyon or Filmmakers Cooperative could give a much better answer. Film projection will only be able to survive as long as people value it and support it, and there's no shortage of troubling signs of increasing pressures for everyone to go digital.

abkino

#477 Post by abkino » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a couple more a-g related questions;

1, Where is a good place to start with foreign a-g works? I'm aware of the experimental film scene in Austria, I've been told the Swiss avant garde is quite prominent too, and I know of the historical avant garde (absolute film, un chein andalou, maya deren etc.), though my knowledge is certainly lacking. What are some names that haven't been listed yet that are must sees?

2, Are there any plans by criterion to release full cycles by Brakhage?

3, What seems to be the direction of the avant garde? Like, video art is obviously the biggest addition of the last 10 years, but what trends and movements define the modern avant garde? Which artists should I look into?

e; to respond to the above post, do you think artists like Dorsky and Snow would be more willing if in every DVD release of their work there is a message beforehand informing the viewer that what they're seeing is merely a digital reproduction, and the quality of the film release is significantly better? I think the biggest problem is education, ie most people don't realize the division between video and film.

moltenlava

#478 Post by moltenlava » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:09 pm

I think your questions are interesting and address fundamental issues in regards to A-G.
Let me first dispense with my biases, so you can read my opinions without worry about tendentious ideas.
I hate the book Visionary Film, and regard P. Adam Sitney as too close to many of the filmmakers he examines to have any critical value. I dislike his categorical terms such as Trance, Lyrical, and Mythopoeia. I wish I (or anyone) could find better terms to describe the various "types" of A-G. I also dislike his arbitrary line of demarcation of classical A-G as ending with Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon. I agree, it's convenient, but I think he has polluted the fertile minds of thousands of viewers with this arbitrary line. Meshes is an interesting, but hardly unique, film. And,yes,I've seen it projected.

On the other hand, I respect and like "A History of Experimental Film and Video" by A. L. Rees as a clear minded and informative guide to A-G. Rees lets you, the viewer, decide, after he points you in the prominent direction. No, he doesn't get all wobbly about the "New American Cinema," but he does give it the requisite nod.

That's the answer to question one. Check out Rees' book. There is a good foundation of A-G (1) on DVD. I wish you lived in my city so I could lend DVDs to you.

I couldn't care less about the Criterion A-G plans. I am the master of my own viewing.

3) Great question, and one I have been struggling to answer since January of this year. I have watched, mostly on DVD, 1,200 A-G films, in chronological order in the hopes of answering it. My conclusion? I wasted my time. Most A-G artists do not conform to a "bigger picture." They have a normal, individual creative arc, of good, great, diminished. I love the new A-G artists, such as Stratman, Tochka, Mizue, Kowalski, Maxwell, Renwick, and especially G. Deutsch. Not so big on Nagler,Rose, or Fotopoulas. As expected, Su Friedrich was great until, well, she got old.
I can tell you what I like, but it hardly points in a direction, or means you'll like them too.

And finally, I give up on artists who refuse to show their work to the largest possible audience. Three of my most valued DVDs are from Bruce Baillie, a founder of Canyon Cinema. I've watched all three multiple times, even though I had seen them projected when they were released. Sincerely, I've seen things on repeated viewings I never expected to see. Quick Billy..ohlala!

SternDiet

#479 Post by SternDiet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 am

abkino wrote:e; to respond to the above post, do you think artists like Dorsky and Snow would be more willing if in every DVD release of their work there is a message beforehand informing the viewer that what they're seeing is merely a digital reproduction, and the quality of the film release is significantly better? I think the biggest problem is education, ie most people don't realize the division between video and film.
Well, Dorsky was quite clear on this point: he doesn't want people to see his work on DVD, because he doesn't want to compromise the integrity of his work. I don't think education helps that much, actually, because a lot of people simply dismiss the differences between video and film. And in a way, I guess you can't blame them, because if you have never experienced the actual difference (and most people haven't), it all probably sounds like a lot of hooey. And such disclaimers are mostly ignored anyway.

whocansay

#480 Post by whocansay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm

And in the particular case of Dorsky, he's been clear about the speed he wants his films to be projected at, since he seems to want visible or semi-visible flicker to be present. I haven't seen any of his films (or for that matter, any film projected at less that 24fps) so I can't comment on how apparent the difference is, but assuming he's right than it's a pretty compelling case for not releasing his films on DVD.

zedz

#481 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:02 pm

I've been fortunate enough to see Dorsky's films on film and, yes indeed, a very large part of their effect derives from the speed, the flicker and the overwhelming presence of silence in a public space. If his work were available on DVD, you might think you've seen it, but there's a good argument to be made that you would have missed most of what he was actually trying to do with the material.* It's hard to find analogies, but maybe it would be like claiming to have experienced Tony Conrad's 'dream music' because you'd heard a 30 second ringtone extracted from a live performance. You literally don't know what you're not hearing / seeing.

But, on the other hand, there is plenty of experimental work that does work very well on DVD and BluRay, and there's plenty out there to track down. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go out of your way to see the real films really projected, if only so you can better understand those additional dimensions that home video formats can't reproduce.

* Just one more reason to abhor American Beauty, if any were needed.

matrixschmatrix

#482 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:11 pm

What's the American Beauty connection?

zedz

#483 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm

The me-so-soulful 'art video' that one of the characters makes (the dancing plastic bag) is a rip-off of a sequence from a Dorsky film.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#484 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 pm

zedz wrote:It's hard to find analogies
Maybe this is stupid, but the first thing that occurred to me was listening to The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka on a single mp3 player.

zedz

#485 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 am

swo17 wrote:
zedz wrote:It's hard to find analogies
Maybe this is stupid, but the first thing that occurred to me was listening to The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka on a single mp3 player.
That analogy works for me.

abkino

#486 Post by abkino » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Has anyone seen Ken Jacob's Star Spangled to Death? Is it the masterpiece/opus/masterwork/work of genius etc. every critic seems to be saying of it? It seems interesting but I'm reluctant to put down the 70 dollars to buy the DVD.

AlexHansen

#487 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm

abkino wrote:Has anyone seen Ken Jacob's Star Spangled to Death? Is it the masterpiece/opus/masterwork/work of genius etc. every critic seems to be saying of it? It seems interesting but I'm reluctant to put down the 70 dollars to buy the DVD.
I quite enjoyed it. After watching the first part on Mubi, I immediately ordered the DVD (mostly so I could catch all the flash texts). Definitely not the worst $70 I've ever spent.

zedz

#488 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:08 pm

It's a grand, exhausting film, and well worth owning, since it's the only way you're going to be able to catch all the texts, which is a whole extra dimension of the film. And that makes it an interesting counterpoint to the Dorsky discussion, since here's a film that - by design - can't be fully grasped in conventional projection. Be aware that freezing to read will add hours to the film's running time. In some patches five minutes of film can contain dozens of pages of hidden text, and you may have to step-frame the disc to find them.

In the same magnum opus vein, I give an even higher recommendation to the three disc + book edition of Mekas' Walden. A magnificent achievement with full annotations in a big paperback.

Gregory

#489 Post by Gregory » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I would certainly praise it highly. I voted for it as my #1 film from 2000-2009 in the list project poll a while ago. It's such an original personal work yet at the same time has deep social, cultural, and historical dimensions. It's the culmination not only of Jacobs's filmmaking career but many of his ideas as a teacher, as well. It has repaid repeat viewings to find the text, and I also have a great memory of immersing myself in the whole thing in one sitting, with only occasional pausing for reading.
To someone new to Jacobs, Jack Smith, etc. such an intensive viewing may not be the best way to see it the first time. The texts really are the key to following and tying together many of the threads in the film.

AlexHansen

#490 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 pm

The texts really put the film over the top for me. As Gregory says, they help add context to the hodgepodge of footage and, to me, make the film feel more like a conversation. By rewinding and step-framing (and going back again because you mistimed it) you become an active participant in the conversation, and when it's over, the whole experience feels incredibly rewarding.

And I second the (higher) recommendation forWalden. The film is one of my absolute favorites and the book is one of the most informative "special features" I've come across.

abkino

#491 Post by abkino » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm probably gonna buy the DVD now, because if there's anything I love more than good found footage work it's a 5+ hour marathon movie, and the films of Jacobs that I've seen were intimate and personal.

Speaking of that list project, what are everyone's favorite a-g films from the past decade? I recently saw Morgan Fisher's (), which impressed me more upon a second viewing. I've also heard good things about the Jonas Mekas "As I was Moving Ahead..." too. Nathaniel Dorsky's Song and Solitude was also highly praised, but is likely impossible to be seen unless you rent it out. What newer artists displayed a lot of potential in the last decade? Is there any good websites that keep up to date on a-g film? Has a true video art masterpiece been created yet?

Sorry for the excessive questions, I'm just recently getting into a-g film. The avant-garde has always been a window into the future of cinema, so keeping up to date seems to be the best way to get learn about cutting edge filmmaking techniques.

AlexHansen

#492 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:44 pm

To answer a couple, Michael Robinson does good work on the making side and Michael Sicinski does good work on the writing side.

SpiderBaby

#493 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations of Brazilian experimental films/shorts?

knives

#494 Post by knives » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Limite is the most obvious one.

SpiderBaby

#495 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Yeah I know of that one. Thanks. I was looking for more of a late 60's experimental, since there was a movement of alot of younger filmmakers at that time. I want to see "Killed the Family and Went to the Movies" but I can't find it with english subs.

The more obscure, the better, since I'm not looking for Rocha type answers back.

EDIT: I think what I'm looking for is an era called "BRAZILIAN MARGINAL CINEMA" around the same time of Cinema Novo, but more experimental. So anybody with recommendations would be great.

zedz

#496 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:48 pm

I think Szangerla's Red Light Bandit is available on DVD, but that's really not much more experimental than most of Rocha's stuff (and way less radical than something like Cancer).

This disc may be what you're looking for, though it's a survey of Latin American experimental cinema in general. I have it, but haven't liberated it from my kevyip yet. Will report back when I do.

SpiderBaby

#497 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Awesome, thanks zedz. I know about Red Light Bandit and Rogério Sganzerla in general. That link/disc, I believe should be a great start as to what I am looking for. So far, Brazilian cinema for me is only Rocha to José Mojica Marins' Coffin Joe films. I am a huge fan of experimental cinema so of course I kind of wanted to just jump right into that portion of Brazilian cinema. Thanks for your help again.

abkino

#498 Post by abkino » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 am

What books about a-g film, historical, theory or otherwise, do people enjoy? I'm reading through Sitney's Visionary Film and Rees' History of Experimental film and both are fascinating. Is there any book which comprehensively covers the foreign avant garde? What is the definitive "History of the Avant Garde" book?

Also, what works of film theory engage the avant garde the best? As a fan of Gilles Deleuze's philosophical work, I'm finding his cinema books extremely applicable to the a-g, in a sense almost supplying a rationalization for it's existence (even if Deleuze's experience is more European art house). I've heard Beller's Cinematic Mode of Production and Rosen's Change Mummified are good too.

Adam

#499 Post by Adam » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:40 am

abkino wrote:What books about a-g film, historical, theory or otherwise, do people enjoy? I'm reading through Sitney's Visionary Film and Rees' History of Experimental film and both are fascinating. Is there any book which comprehensively covers the foreign avant garde? What is the definitive "History of the Avant Garde" book?

Also, what works of film theory engage the avant garde the best? As a fan of Gilles Deleuze's philosophical work, I'm finding his cinema books extremely applicable to the a-g, in a sense almost supplying a rationalization for it's existence (even if Deleuze's experience is more European art house). I've heard Beller's Cinematic Mode of Production and Rosen's Change Mummified are good too.
There is no definitive book.
There is an email list called Frameworks dedicated the experimental film in which the topic of books just passed. Here are replies to that, in addition to the two you already mentioned. These are all cut & pasted until the end:

Chuck Kleinhans had a good start:

Berger, John. "The Moment of Cubism," in Berger, The Moment of Cubism and Other Essays.
This is a useful key essay on modernism(s)

Rees, A. L., A History of Experimental Film and Video (London:British Film Institute, 1999) paperback
excellent brief history of US and UK, and both film and video art

Sitney, P. Adams. Visionary Film, Third edition (NY: Oxford UP, 2002) paperback
classic study on US New American Cinema avant garde, Deren on.

Kirby, Michael. "The Aesthetics of the Avant-Garde," in Kirby, The Art of Time. 1969
another useful reference point essay on modernism across the arts

It is especially useful to do some in-depth close studies (though you also need access to the films in some form)

Such as:

Roy Grundmann, Andy Warhol’s Blow Job, Temple U Press, 2002.
Outstanding close study, with terrific context

James Peterson, Dreams of Chaos, Visions of Order: Understanding the Ameican Avant-Garde Cinema (Wayne State)
careful and detailed close analysis of a small number of films

Wees, William C. Light Moving in Time: Studies in the Visual Aesthetics of Avant-garde Film (Berkeley: U of CA Press, 1992)
very careful studies of key films

For large alternatives to the above titles:

James, David E. Allegories Of Cinema: American Film in the Sixties. Princeton: Princeton U.P., 1989.
an important contrast to and corrective of Sitney

Tyler, Parker, Underground Film: A Critical History (DaCapo 1995)
Tyler is often forgotten nowadays, but excellent for the period he covers

Macdonald, Scott. A Critical Cinema: Interviews with Independent Filmmakers. Berkeley: U of California, 1988.
This is the first of a series of interview books he has done: Macdonald does outstanding preparation forthe interviews which produce very illuminating discussions in most cases. Many filmmakers find this kind of work the most illuminating thing to read. The whole series is great.

Robin Blaetz, ed. Women's Experimental Cinema Duke: 2007)
essential corrective to the usual boys club version of the avant garde

These aren't "also rans" but equal but different than the previous titles:

LeGrice, Malcolm. Abstract Film and Beyond. Cambridge MA: MIT Press, 1977.

Macdonald, Scott. Avant-Garde Film: Motion Studies. Cambridge, Cambridge U.P. 1993.

Macdonald, Scott. The Garden in the Machine. U of California, 2003

Marks, Laura. The Skin of the Film: Intercultural Cinema, Embodiment, and the Senses. (U of Minn?) 2000

Mekas, Jonas. Movie Journal: The Rise of a New American Cinema, 1959-1971. NY: Collier, 1972.
interesting collection of his weekly reviews, allows you to see historical progression week by week.

Russell, Catherine, Experimental Ethnography: The Work of Film in the Age of Video. 2000.

Sitney, P. Adams, ed. Film Culture Reader. NY: Praeger, 1970.
great collection of essays from the key magazine of the US experimental movement

Sitney, P. Adams, ed. The Essential Cinema: Essays on the Films in the Collection of Anthology Film Archives. Vol. 1. NY: New York U. P., 1975.

Sitney, P. Adams, ed. The Avant-Garde Film: A Reader of Theory and Criticism. NY: New York U. P., 1978.

Youngblood, Gene. Expanded Cinema. NY: Dutton, 1970.

You should be aware that experimental film and video are often clumsily nation bound for several reasons. If you are in the US, it's very enlightening to make an extra effort to find out about Canadian, UK, European, Japanese, and other national traditions in both film and video

And video is its own complicated case, with an older single channel history now being overwhelmed by gallery pieces from people who tend to see themselves as "artists" rather than "video makers."
I'm sure others on this list would have other suggestions and refer to their own work: e.g. Fred Camper's writings on his website (there's a lot there), Jackie Hatfield's anthology Experimental film and video, etc.
-------
I added this:
James, David, The Most Typical Avant-Garde: History and Geography of Minor Cinemas in Los Angeles

Anker, Steve, Kathy Geritz, and Steve Seid, ed., Radical Light: Alternative Film and Video in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1945-2000

Both eminently readable.
--------
David Tetzlaff:
It's hard to make a beginners bibliography for this field since most of the books have a fairly narrow focus, and thus fall in the 'good, but not essential' category. The only concensus 'must read,' I know of is Visionary Film by Sitney, a book you may love, or love to hate. It's not that user friendly. But that would be where I would send someone to start.
Next on my list would be two books Chuck didn't mention in his otherwise exhaustive list. "Film at Wit's End" by Stan Brakhage (highly readable reminiscences of other filmmakers), and "Bike Boys, Drag Queens, and Superstars: Avant-Garde, Mass Culture, and Gay Identities in the 1960s Underground Cinema" by Juan Suarez (for an intellectual approach very different from Sitney). Following those, I would go to Sitney's Film Culture Reader anthology, and one of the Critical Cinema volumes.

As I recall, there were some pretty good essays on experimental film published in 'Jump Cut' back in the day. Chuck's being modest not mentioning them. Perhaps he could point us to some of his faves from that corpus? And do read Peter Wollen's essay "The Two Avant Gardes".

good luck

djt

The documentary bios of Brakhage (by Jim Shedden), Deren, ("In the Mirror of...") and Jack Smith ("... and the destruction of Atlantis,") are also useful. I'd go with the one on Smith first for a newcomer.
--------------
Matt Helme:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Cinema-Jonas ... 0691078947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--------------
Fred Camper:
I know you asked about books, but in my view any understanding of film
must start with viewing many key films, many times, and on film if at
all possible. Perhaps you have already done this, but I know of many
students who spend more time reading about cinema than viewing it.
There's a lot to be said for seeing key films three or six or ten
times. There's a lot to be said for seeing everything you can by key
filmmakers. The too-often-used approach of developing a sophisticated
"methodology" and then applying it to films not seen very many times
strikes me as highly dubious.

I endorse all of Chucks' and David's suggestions, or at least, all of
the ones that I know. The "Critical Cinema" volumes are especially
useful because they are interviews with filmmakers. And, do not
neglect other writings by filmmakers about their own filmmaking.
Specifically: "Brakhage Scrapbook," with its very good selections, and
all of "Metaphors on Vision" if you can get it; Kubelka's talks in the
Avant-Garde Film Reader of Theory and Criticism (which Chuck mentions)
and his interview in Film Culture (there's also one in one of the
Critical Cinema volumes that's quite good); all of Robert Breer's
"Film Culture" interviews, the great Film Culture interview with Ernie
Gehr, Maya Deren's essays (and her statements in the "Poetry in Film"
symposium published in "Film Culture").

Each great filmmakers defines and uses cinema in a different way, so I
don't think there's any one approach that works for all.
---------------
Ekram Serdar:
This one's a whole lotta fun to read: On the Camera Arts and Consecutive Matters <http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Arts-Conse ... 701&sr=1-1> by Hollis Frampton.

For example, for experimental cinema from India, or rather, Cinema of Prayoga, this would be appropriate: Cinema of Prayoga <http://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Prayoga-In ... 370&sr=8-1>

An older (than Visionary Film) overview of the scene is actually a free pdf now on archive.org <http://archive.org> - An Introduction to American Underground Film <http://www.archive.org/details/introductiontoam00rena>  by Sheldon Renan

This is a thick tome of a book, with lots of writings by all the folk who were once or still are there, purdy pictures, and makes a good weapon: Buffalo Heads <http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Heads-Pra ... 412&sr=1-1> .

This is a short, sweet essay: Devotional Cinema <http://www.amazon.com/Devotional-Cinema ... 666&sr=1-1> by Nathaniel Dorsky.
--------------------
Ken Paul Rosenthal:
I, for one, am always a sucker for the poetic, over the historical, and thus strongly endorse these slender yet sublime manifestos:

Devotional Cinema by Nathaniel Dorsky
Making Light of It by James Broughton

and two eminently readable books which blend the poetic with the theoretical:

Sculpting in Time: Reflections on Cinema by Andrey Tarkovsky
The Tactile Eye: Touch and the Cinematic Experience by Jennifer M. Barker (my personal favorite)
------------------
And Jacob made a list:
http://making-light-of-it.blogspot.com/ ... -list.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------
Nicky Hamlyn:
A revised and updated edition of Al Rees' book is due out later this year. I would also recommend Rudolph Arnheim's Film as Art, which beautifully and simply sets out some key features of what film is and how it works. Malcolm LeGrice's Experimental Cinema in the Digital Age is an excellent collection of his writings, covering a large range of topics. I would also like to plug a new journal, Sequence, whose first issue was published by No.w.here, in London, and a second issue of which is due out later this year. Regarding Blow Job, which was mentioned in a previous post, Peter Gidal's monograph, published by Afterall in their "One Work" series, is excellent, as is the volume on (nostalgia) by Rachel Moore.
-------------------
Jonathan Thomas:
Nicky Hamlyn's 'Film Art Phenomena' is an excellent book. 'Essential Deren: Collected Writings' was a book I found inspirational as a student. Also, 'Art and the Moving Image' (published by Afterall) contains a fine selection of essays about work that leans more towards fine art.
------------------
James Kreul:
I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but Lux compiled this list of commercially available DVDs (let's not start a thread about the word "essential"):

http://www.lux.org.uk/blog/50-essential ... image-dvds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two older books have recently been posted in PDF form for easy access (regardless of legality):

Peter Gidal's Structural Film Anthology:
http://www.ubu.com/historical/gidal/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sheldon Renan's Introduction to the American Underground Film:
http://www.archive.org/details/introductiontoam00rena" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------
And I'd like to mention a few more. There's a brand new collection on Ken Jacobs:
Optic Antics: The Cinema of Ken Jacobs. edited by Michele Pierson, David E. James, and Paul Arthur
A Line of Sight: American Avant-Garde Film Since 1965, by Paul Arthur
Feelings Are Facts: A Life, by Yvonne Rainer
Women's Experimental Cinema, ed. by Robin Blaetz
This Is Called Moving: A Critical Poetics of Film, by Abigail Child

And there are three books on exhibitors & distributors by Scott MacDonald. His A Critical Cinema series of interviews is now five books.

That's all mostly American. Would love recs of books on Japanese, Brazilian, and Canadian experimental film.

I'd say the three leading American scholars on American experimental film are Sitney, James, and MacDonald, certainly in terms of amount published, and they are all thoughtful. Lots more.

That should keep you busy for a month or two.

Perkins Cobb

#500 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 am

Anyone seen Adolfas Mekas's Hallelujah the Hills, available on DVD in France from Re:voir? Mentions of it in obits for Mekas sound intriguing. Is it worth 31 euros?