The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher, 2011)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher, 2011)

#26 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm

That's still the one thing that bugs me about it. I'm sure there would have been a way to American-ize the story and keep most of the plot elements intact.

redbill

#27 Post by redbill » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:35 pm

yah, move it to Alaska like Insomnia.

SoyCuba

#28 Post by SoyCuba » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Maybe they were afraid to change the story to take place in America because *gasp*
SpoilerShow
they might make some people angry in suggesting that there have been pro-nazi Americans as well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Well, The Silver Shirts were basically the Tea Party 1.0, only their leader was charismatic

Highway 61

#30 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Fincher wanted to keep it in Sweden. He said he wants the film to be to Stockholm what Chinatown is to LA.
Last edited by Highway 61 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zot!

#31 Post by Zot! » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Has Fincher had any comment on the fact that this has already been competently put to film in what is very much a mainstream, digestible Hollywood-looking production? I think it's funny that they are already trying to push the sex appeal of the character. One thing I genuinely liked about the original is the lack of femininity, and her overall sexual ambiguity made for a unique character. The new girl is more Brody Dalle than Marylin Manson.

Lemmy Caution

#32 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:16 pm

domino harvey wrote:Well, The Silver Shirts were basically the Tea Party 1.0, only their leader was charismatic
Also Father Coughlin and the Christian Front.
There's a Macy/Dern movie, Focus, based on Arthur Miller's only novel.

Bad economic times always brings out bad tendencies.

James Mills

#33 Post by James Mills » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Highway 61 wrote:He said he wants the film to be to Stockholm what Chinatown is to LA.
Literally Chinatown or Chinatown the film? I haven't seen the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so I'm not familiar at all with its plot or subject matter, does it involve corruption of the Chinatown (the film) sort?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#34 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

He was talking about Chinatown, the place. He wants this film to be to Stockholm what the place, Chinatown, is to Los Angeles.

rs98762001

#35 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Highway 61 wrote:Fincher wanted to keep it in Sweden. He said he wants the film to be to Stockholm what Chinatown is to LA.
Not sure that makes any sense, considering about 75% of the book's story takes place in the countryside. I understand they'll be making changes, but I don't see how it can suddenly turn into a film as integrally tied to a city as was CHINATOWN, which was very specifically about the origins of Los Angeles and took place almost entirely within it. Plus it seems a stretch to imagine an American - or any non-Swede - will have enough knowledge about Sweden and Stockholm to understand such a specific context, unless there's an enormous amount of exposition.

Jeff

#36 Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 pm

knives

#37 Post by knives » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Considering the story deals with rape isn't it a bit gross to have the character posed so sexually?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#38 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes, because once you've been raped, you can never be sexual again.

knives

#39 Post by knives » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 pm

What I meant was that the character is in these photos deliberately being treated as an object of lust, just a fetish fantasy, which mixed with the content of the story has some eerie vibes for the marketers at the very least. Or another way of saying that is if you watched the movie(s) or read the books would your first reaction to sell those things to an audience be to sell an erotic component? Is there no other way to sell this character?

greggster59

#40 Post by greggster59 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Roony Mara isn't going to put Noomi Rapace out of business.

She's the Franco Nero to Noomi's Clint Eastwood.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#41 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Maybe it's just because she's not my type, but I see "cool" in those photos far more than "sexy".

knives

#42 Post by knives » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:40 pm

I was thinking primarily of the naked, ballet, and motorcycle ones(otherwise I agree that it is primarily to show her as 'cool'). Also considering the headline calls her 'our goth girlfriend' adds an additional layer of creep for me. You wouldn't see a Bourne movie try to sell itself that way after all.

matrixschmatrix

#43 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Maybe it's just because she's not my type, but I see "cool" in those photos far more than "sexy".
The most revealing picture, the topless one, seems sort of deliberately unsexual to me- she looks very androgynous and very physically vulnerable (I think because of her thinness and shaved eyebrows and wig look, which visually remind me of chemo patients) which makes for an interesting contrast with the supertough exterior the mohawk and Lady Gaga clothes present.
knives wrote:I was thinking primarily of the naked, ballet, and motorcycle ones(otherwise I agree that it is primarily to show her as 'cool'). Also considering the headline calls her 'our goth girlfriend' adds an additional layer of creep for me. You wouldn't see a Bourne movie try to sell itself that way after all.
That is a creepy headline. I don't like the ballet and motorcycle pictures as much, but I think the ballet one reminds me of nothing so much as Fight Club's Marla- who, for all the sex in the movie, was not a hugely sexualized/objectivized character. The motorcycle one seems relatively bland, although there's definitely a distinct Lady Gaga aspect to that one.

Cold Bishop

#44 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 pm

knives wrote:What I meant was that the character is in these photos deliberately being treated as an object of lust, just a fetish fantasy, which mixed with the content of the story has some eerie vibes for the marketers at the very least. Or another way of saying that is if you watched the movie(s) or read the books would your first reaction to sell those things to an audience be to sell an erotic component? Is there no other way to sell this character?
It's a magazine spread! Whaddaya expect? If she was playing a burn victim, you'd bet they'd fetishize that too.

knives

#45 Post by knives » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, I guess I'm just not cool with the whole misogyny of that sort of attitude. Like I said before a photo shoot for a Bourne movie or any other sort of male action thriller would not be so sexualized. That element of already present misogyny compounded with the rape aspect makes me sick to my stomach. If there's one time to go against the norm it's this one. i should note though that I doubt very much that this will be true in the movie, Fincher is better than that, but as far as marketing goes I'm in utter disgust with this photoshoot.

Markson

#46 Post by Markson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Cold Bishop wrote: It's a magazine spread! Whaddaya expect? If she was playing a burn victim, you'd bet they'd fetishize that too.
Exactly. I can't see how anyone would be surprised by an effort to make the female lead of a high-profile film look sexy. Not this this standard in itself is a good one, but it's not surprising. What's more surprising is that a well-known literary character is being played by two women with unsusual, assonant names: Noomi and Roony.

HistoryProf

#47 Post by HistoryProf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 am

she's too soft for the part imo. needs to tone those arms up. the hair and make-up is fine, but there's more to it than that.

I'm not sure what to think about the comments about "drastically" changing the ending. On the one hand, I guess it's good he isn't trying to trump what was already an incredibly faithful and very well done adaptation in Swedish. There is really no reason to do that again other than hubris. But on the other hand, the story itself played out how it did for a reason, and if he's changing it all, then I can't imagine that will set up the next two properly. Or is he not interested in the follow up stories? Seems like he's setting himself up for a lot of griping by changing what millions of people have completely fallen in love with. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, but i'm not terribly confident it'll satisfy fans of the novels (myself one of them who thought the Swedish film was near perfect).

John Cope

#48 Post by John Cope » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 am

What's being unsurprisingly neglected here is any acknowledgment of just how good Roony Mara was in the criminally underrated Nightmare on Elm Street reboot. She was properly traumatized and stricken but also lent an unusual air of grave conviction to a difficult role (Fire Walk With Me re-imagined as straight horror) that worked superbly to convey the lingering effects of trauma so necesary to that film's impact. She's no simple "Goth Grrl" but a very real and special find.
greggster59 wrote:She's the Franco Nero to Noomi's Clint Eastwood.
But Franco Nero is cool!

Cold Bishop

#49 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 am

That's because I don't acknowledge that film's existence.

greggster59

#50 Post by greggster59 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:27 am

John Cope wrote:
greggster59 wrote:She's the Franco Nero to Noomi's Clint Eastwood.
But Franco Nero is cool!
Not as cool as Clint.