Where to buy OOP or unreleased DVDs?

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Erikht

Where to buy OOP or unreleased DVDs?

#1 Post by Erikht » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:53 am

I would be grateful if anybody could post or pm me the name of internet based stores who sell out-of-print or never-released DVDs. I know I saw some addresses here some time ago, but I can't find the topic tread.

In advance,

Thank you.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Where to buy OOP or un-released DVDs?

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 am

How can one buy an "unreleased DVD" anywhere? ;~}

med

#3 Post by med » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 am

"Unreleased" as in bootleg copies of never-on-DVD films? There's 5 Minutes to Live (which appears to be known now as CINEstrike!), though I've heard/read nothing but bad things about their customer service.

Minkin

#4 Post by Minkin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 am

Olive films sells a few OOP titles. Not everything is on that page, so you might have to do a little searching for what you would like.

Markson

Re: Where to buy OOP or unreleased DVDs?

#5 Post by Markson » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Sometimes something as simple as Ebay or Amazon works well, if you can handle sifting through the (often) ridiculously overpriced options.

scubadonc

#6 Post by scubadonc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:11 pm

I agree with eBay and Amazon. Truthfully, you could buy an OOP title anytime if you're willing to pay. Getting a good deal takes patience and diligence. I spent 10 months trying to get the Criterion Straw Dogs for cheap. Got it for $25 on eBay. Got Le Trou unopened on Amazon for $15 and some change. Eventually, someone doesn't realize what they've got.

Perkins Cobb

#7 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 am

He said "never-released," not "unreleased." Perhaps referring to the handful of DVDs that were cancelled after review copies had gone out, such as (for a time) Boomerang.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:37 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:He said "never-released," not "unreleased." Perhaps referring to the handful of DVDs that were cancelled after review copies had gone out, such as (for a time) Boomerang.
He said both. (Look at the caption of his post) ;~}

Erikht

#9 Post by Erikht » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 am

Let's put it like this: I got a few DVDs I have made myself from VHS viewing-videos I have borrowed from a certain National Library. Some of these are only available as a viewing copy, and as such id un-released. Some films has been showed on television back in the days, but is not available commercially, though the film was copied down on a VHS (or DVD if the copy is of newer date). Some people own old film rolls, and have made R-DVDs for sale. Some flicks has been downloaded for streaming by television companies or film production companies. A very few archives might do the same.

This is the kind of films I am looking for. Right now I am looking for "The lost Brigade" from 1919, and now 4 or 5 of you will tell me how easy it is to get hold of (the three reels still in existence, that is), and my problem is solved for now. But there is always a new film. Some pre- "Die Spinnen" Fritz Lang? A British film about The Boer War from before WW1 (I guess WW1 changed the way war was viewed. We never had that innocence again. So how was the war films before the concept of Total Warfare was fully developed?).

Unreleased or never-released, you know what I mean.

Thank you for your answers, though, and I hope I have clarified things a bit. I see that my initial post was a tad unclear (though not never-clear).

Erik

videozor

#10 Post by videozor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Marketplaces similar to Amazon are available on many other online stores, e.g. if you are looking for Dutch OOP DVDs - check bol.com (the problem is that sellers are allowd to ship to Holland and Belgium only, at least at thsi time). Barnes and Noble also has something similar, I used its sellers for books only so far, not sure what's the situation with other media

knives

#11 Post by knives » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Is the Fox Lorber A Matter of Dignity not dire or will the new Lorber/ anybody likely put out a superior copy soon?