'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Tommaso

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vo

#3051 Post by Tommaso » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 am

I wonder whether this friend of Sam Smith might not be referring to "Nostalghia"?

onedimension

#3052 Post by onedimension » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Kino's supposedly working on a blu-ray of The Sacrifice, & they had the rights to The Mirror, so it's got to be either Nostalghia or Stalker - the first is in desperate need of a remaster, but the second seems more likely to inspire 'level of film that I dream of' talk.

kaujot

#3053 Post by kaujot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Doesn't Kino also have Stalker?

aox

#3054 Post by aox » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:40 pm

kaujot wrote:Doesn't Kino also have Stalker?
Yes

kaujot

#3055 Post by kaujot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:22 pm

I figured as much, since I own the (2006?) edition they put out, but wasn't sure if they still had the rights.

Tom Hagen

#3056 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 pm

It would have to be Nostalghia, right? Wasn't that one a Lorber? And Voyage in Time would be a non-brainer supplement.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#3057 Post by Tribe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm

For whatever it's worth, and I haven't seen anything else on the Forum so I'm not sure where to put this. In any event, Eureka's release of The Clouded Yellow is preceded by a Janus logo.

aox

#3058 Post by aox » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Nostalghia is the only Tarkovsky film I haven't seen. Not sure I welcome it coming before his other (safer) titles.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3059 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Saturnome wrote:Two early Chabrol, Les Cousins and Le Beau Serge coming to Criterion in september next year?
Gaumont a trouvé un accord avec CRITERION qui va participer aux coûts de restauration de deux CHABROL dont je vous avais parlé : les cousins ; le beau serge. Ils seront édités dans cette collection et seront disponibles en septembre 2011 pour le 1er anniversaire de la mort de Claude Chabrol.
Source
They've been sitting on these title for as long as I've been posting here, what's another eight months. Still, I don't know why they'd wait, I'd bet good money they'll port over the Madman commentary for Les Cousins and drop some archival interviews and call it a day.

Thomas Dukenfield

#3060 Post by Thomas Dukenfield » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Tribe wrote:For whatever it's worth, and I haven't seen anything else on the Forum so I'm not sure where to put this. In any event, Eureka's release of The Clouded Yellow is preceded by a Janus logo.
Janus/Homevision released Clouded Yellow on VHS in the U.S., along with some other British films that have yet to hit legit DVD in North America, like:

Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) (only available, as far as I know, in crappy PD prints on DVD)
The Elusive Pimpernel
Corridor of Mirrors (probably my fave British film of all time)
This Happy Breed
Fire Over England (same apparent PD status as Scarlet)

...and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Hopefully Janus still has the rights to these (or a relationship with whoever owns the best elements for the two supposed PD films) and we'll see a DVD/Blu-Ray release of them at some point (along with Clouded Yellow). I thought I remember hearing that Elusive Pimpernel was going to be released, maybe mentioned as an upcoming release in one of the catalogs.

dwk

#3061 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Nostalghia is/was a Lorber title, so that could be the mystery Tarkovsky. I may have been taking Smith's friend's response to the post hoping for Andrei Rublev and not Solaris or Ivan's Childhood wrong.

criterionsnob

#3062 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I finally bought the OOP Nostalghia import from Kim's in NY, so of course this will probably get an amazing Blu-ray release from Criterion. Not that I'm complaining. I hope it's true.

Magic Hate Ball

#3063 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:29 am

It should be noted that Criterion did post in a positive manner about a new Solaris edition on their Facebook (or it might have been an email) at some point, and the artwork could definitely use a do-over.

Roger Ryan

#3064 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:07 am

SOLARIS would seem to be the next logical choice after RUBLEV given its a higher profile title than Tarkovsky's other films. Also, it's an older Criterion release than IVAN'S CHILDHOOD (issued in 2007). I also agree that SOLARIS could do with improved cover art, whereas IVAN is brilliant as it is.

Unless Criterion is planning to issue the longer cut of SOLARIS on Blu-ray, I'd rather they went with NOSTALGHIA given how difficult it is to see, not to mention that it's a very fine work with gorgeous cinematography.

ernesto

#3065 Post by ernesto » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 pm

onedimension wrote:Kino's supposedly working on a blu-ray of The Sacrifice
"The BluRay of THE SACRIFICE was postponed because the 35mm low-contrast print we were using as our source had printed-in dust and dirt which was unsatisfactory to us. We looked at two alternate film elements and neither of these was any better.

Fortunately, new technology has been developed that can remove the dust/dirt without affecting motion within the video, and without softening the detail of the image. Right now we're deciding between a couple of different processes and will then finish the master of THE SACRIFICE.

The film has been put back on the release schedule in Spring 2011."

This is an email I recieved from Brent Wood, the man overseeing the project. Looks like Kino has another big release on Blu-Ray. Too bad its happening next year.

Crab Society North

#3066 Post by Crab Society North » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 am

I just watched a 14 minute interview that the folks at AVmaniacs conducted with Bill Lustig about the future of Blue Underground. He mentions that he wont be releasing Suspiria on blu since he doesn't have the rights anymore. Possible Criterion release? it'd be a major seller.

ianungstad

#3067 Post by ianungstad » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:54 am

Crab Society North wrote:I just watched a 14 minute interview that the folks at AVmaniacs conducted with Bill Lustig about the future of Blue Underground. He mentions that he wont be releasing Suspiria on blu since he doesn't have the rights anymore. Possible Criterion release? it'd be a major seller.
The Weinstein Company bought the rights. They plan to remake the film. David Gordon Green is attached to direct the remake.

Criterion doesn't license from The Weinstein Company, so it seems unlikely to me.

Finch

#3068 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Re Suspiria: looks like your only hope of an ideal presentation for that film may be the upcoming German Camera Obscure Blu since the Weinsteins are unlikely to give the title the attention and care it deserves.

SternDiet

#3069 Post by SternDiet » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Finch wrote:Re Suspiria: looks like your only hope of an ideal presentation for that film may be the upcoming German Camera Obscure Blu since the Weinsteins are unlikely to give the title the attention and care it deserves.
But the only problem is that Camera Obscura will be releasing 'Inferno' and not 'Suspiria'.

Finch

#3070 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:38 pm

D'oh #-o my apologies!

dwk

#3071 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:47 pm

Suspiria, along with Inferno and The Mother of Tears, is getting released on Blu-Ray in Japan on December 8.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3072 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:35 am

Suspiria, Inferno & Tenebrae has just been released in France in BR by Wild Side, along with :
Cat o' Nine Tails, Phenomena & The bird with crystal plumage in DVD.

Be aware that The bird transfer has been approved by Argento & Storaro... and that it has been cropped to 2:00... (thanks Vittorio...)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3073 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:59 am

tenia wrote:Suspiria, Inferno & Tenebrae has just been released in France in BR by Wild Side, along with :
Cat o' Nine Tails, Phenomena & The bird with crystal plumage in DVD.

Be aware that The bird transfer has been approved by Argento & Storaro... and that it has been cropped to 2:00... (thanks Vittorio...)
Not only that but the results are described by ecranlarge as 'catastrophic'

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3074 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
tenia wrote:Suspiria, Inferno & Tenebrae has just been released in France in BR by Wild Side, along with : Cat o' Nine Tails, Phenomena & The bird with crystal plumage in DVD.

Not only that but the results are described by ecranlarge as 'catastrophic'
I think they overreacted a bit. I've heard from DVDClassik forum that it's not that awful in motion. But of course, theoretically speaking, it is no good at all from the very beginning. Another thing is their review for Inferno in which they say that the color scheme is awfully off. Same thing, from reviewers and forumers from DVDClassik, it is in fact very good in motion.

Anyway, the other releases (especially Tenebrae) seem to be excellent.

SternDiet

#3075 Post by SternDiet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:04 am

Is there any word on the French subs being forced?