Apocalypse Now on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
oldsheperd

Re: Apocalypse Now on DVD and Blu-ray

#201 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 pm

1:33/1 applies to all those people at the rental stores who complain about the black bars on the top and bottom. They prefer the pan and scan version because the widesreeen makes the image smaller all the while not noticing that pan and scan deletes like 30 percent of the image etc etc etc.

MoonlitKnight

#202 Post by MoonlitKnight » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:09 pm

I wish Lionsgate would also be releasing "The Conversation" on Blu. ](*,)

Jeff

#203 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:I wish Lionsgate would also be releasing "The Conversation" on Blu. ](*,)
They intend to.

Finch

#204 Post by Finch » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:23 am

Where did you hear that Jeff? Have they officially confirmed this?

willoneill

#205 Post by willoneill » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:45 am

I think he's refering to the new American Zoetrope deal at Lionsgate. I assume most of AZ films will be released on blu. I hope so.

eerik

#206 Post by eerik » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:07 am

The announcement said that "The Conversation" would be the next film they release, there was no mention of Blu-ray and the DVD is coming in August. But then again, the DVD of Apocalypse Now was released in May so the Blu-ray of The Conversation might be coming early 2011.

Jeff

#207 Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Finch wrote:Where did you hear that Jeff? Have they officially confirmed this?
The full text of the joint press release specifically mentions that the deal includes Blu-ray rights to The Conversation (though I guess it doesn't confirm that Lionsgate will exercise those rights). This article at Hollywood News does say that a Blu-ray of The Conversation is coming, but they may have also just inferred as much from the press release. I guess the info in the release isn't quite as definitive as I had remembered, but like Apocalypse Now, I suspect that a more deluxe Blu-ray release of The Conversation will follow the bare-bones DVD by about six months. Coppola says, "We are excited to be collaborating with them and hope to continue to enthrall our existing fans while also reaching a whole new audience for these films by presenting them in the highest quality format available along with exceptional in-depth special features."

Finch

#208 Post by Finch » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks Jeff. Sorry for sidetracking the thread. Back to Apocalypse Now..

perkizitore

#209 Post by perkizitore » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:20 am

You can have the Full Disclosure set for $34 if you spend $60 on DVDEmpire (you get $8 off $60 using the code 1543775).
2 days ago you could still get $8 off 55$, but i forgot about it and now that voucher expired #-o

Norbie

Re: Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier

#210 Post by Norbie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:38 am

aox wrote:
Norbie wrote:Interesting to find out how informative and well made those new interviews will turn out. I don't mean to be anal about it, but it's a pity there is no real meaty documentary - I personally love those. But can't complain to much, it's great to know that AN will be in 2.4!!
Have you not seen Hearts of Darkness? Besides maybe Burden of Dreams, you couldn't ask for a meatier documentary in terms of documenting the production of a film.
Yes, I forgot about than. What a doosh! :oops:

But i wouldn't mind some sort of retrospective documentary. I know they have done some new interviews for the new release, but i don't get much enjoyment out of them if all that you have is one head just go on for 30min or so.

flyonthewall2983

#211 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Trailer for the new sets.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#212 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 pm

EW wrote:And for DVD nerds who care about things like technical specs, it will be the first time the film is released in its original 2.23:1 aspect ratio.
Unfortunately, those who care about things like what shirt Lea Michele will be wearing on Glee next week will find nothing of value in this set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#213 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Now you make feel weird for caring what color Allison Scagliotti's hair is going to be every week

aox

#214 Post by aox » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Is this going to be colorized? If not, I'm out.

flyonthewall2983

#215 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:31 am

Offical website, with good news. Both films will be on the first disc, thus not spread over the first two.

Roger Ryan

#216 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:52 am

It looks like we get Orson Welles' HEART OF DARKNESS broadcast from '38 as well (performed one week after the infamous WAR OF THE WORLDS broadcast). Although this is a well-produced version, Welles improved upon it when he did another version for radio in '45. All the same, it's a thoughtful extra.

gyorgys

#217 Post by gyorgys » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:03 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Offical website, with good news. Both films will be on the first disc, thus not spread over the first two.
Hmm, here's hope for seamless branching :wink:

stwrt

#218 Post by stwrt » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:It looks like we get Orson Welles' HEART OF DARKNESS broadcast from '38 as well (performed one week after the infamous WAR OF THE WORLDS broadcast). Although this is a well-produced version, Welles improved upon it when he did another version for radio in '45. All the same, it's a thoughtful extra.
although the radio show is a "nice" extra, why is it being included on the Complete Dossier Blu-Ray ? don't think I've ever heard it had any resonance with Coppola when he was working on the movie. Would have been more daring to include the 5 hour work-print.

Roger Ryan

#219 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

stwrt wrote:
Roger Ryan wrote:It looks like we get Orson Welles' HEART OF DARKNESS broadcast from '38 as well (performed one week after the infamous WAR OF THE WORLDS broadcast). Although this is a well-produced version, Welles improved upon it when he did another version for radio in '45. All the same, it's a thoughtful extra.
although the radio show is a "nice" extra, why is it being included on the Complete Dossier Blu-Ray ? don't think I've ever heard it had any resonance with Coppola when he was working on the movie. Would have been more daring to include the 5 hour work-print.
Since excerpts from the broadcast are used in the documentary HEARTS OF DARKNESS, I see the inclusion of the show to be relevant to this release...but perhaps only to the three-disc version that includes said documentary!

Yes, the 5-hour work print would be more daring, but at least some of the more interesting deletions from the rough cut show up as deleted footage in this collection.

TedW

#220 Post by TedW » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:53 pm

I have the so-called "rough cut" -- it's more of an assembly than an attempt to tell the story. It is of no value. But then, I'm not the guy who likes to look at Picasso's napkin sketches, either.

CSM126

#221 Post by CSM126 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:09 am

I can't believe people are still harping on the fucking work print. Do you want the work print of everything else, too? There ya go, the new studio home video marketing plan: "The Work Print Edition: Now with hours of pointless footage and horrible editing you were never meant to see!" I can't wait for the Work Print Edition of Freddie Got Fingered to hit shelves.

stwrt

#222 Post by stwrt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 am

CSM126 wrote:I can't believe people are still harping on the fucking work print. Do you want the work print of everything else, too?
No, the Apocalypse Now work print will suffice, if that's OK with you. Unless you've got some of the un-used Thin Red Line footage lying about. That would be kool as well.

CSM126

#223 Post by CSM126 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:03 am

I really just don't get it. I mean, weren't the inserts added to Redux enough to convince you that anything that got cut originally really was just garbage? I can't imagine another two hours of that crap.

flyonthewall2983

#224 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:45 am

I actually prefer Redux to the original, but I get your point.

TedW

#225 Post by TedW » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:25 am

Trust me, there's nothing to see. Even if you're one of those people who think Redux is good, you'll still want to turn this thing off after about ten minutes.