Italian Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Camera Obscura

Re: Classic Italian Cinema (non R1, English-friendly)

#26 Post by Camera Obscura » Fri May 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Dylan wrote:According to Peter Bondanella, Italy was raking out 200-300 films a year throughout the sixties, and I'd say we'd get maybe 1/12 of Italy's yearly output distributed over here in some form (either the same year of release, or up to 2-5 years after release depending on what it was), which seems like a lot compared to what we get over here now (what, one Italian film a year?
I'd say the percentage of Italian films distributed in the US in the 60s was a lot higher, probably closer to a third or even half of the total Italian output. Popular genres like peplums, gothic horror or spy films were tailor-made for US markets, complete with American stars or anglicized names and casts, and at least got some sort of distribution on American cable or played grindhouses, drive-ins or whatever fleapit at various stages.

Rather difficult, though, to find out where and when they were released, since most weren't marketed as Italian films, with distributors chopping 'em up, changing the opening credits, and with fragmented US markets the same film could be released under many different titles. Even well-known films (now, that is) from Bava, Margheriti or Fulci would play Southern drive-ins and a couple of years later would re-appear under a totally different title yet again in some West Coast grindhouse. Most of the time, the audience wasn't even aware they were watching an Italian production.

But, more mainstream 'big' films with name casts and cheapie exploitation and genre outings were a world apart distributionwise, but still, Italian films were by far the most succesful foreign films in the American Market, sometimes even outplaying American productions. Take a look at filmographies of some Italian directors and you'll see almost their entire '60s output got some form of distribution in the US. Italian genrefilms simply dominated the lower end of cinema markets in the '60s all over the world, and these films covered at least half of the total Italian output back then.

Dylan

#27 Post by Dylan » Sat May 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I'd say the percentage of Italian films distributed in the US in the 60s was a lot higher, probably closer to a third or even half of the total Italian output.

Yes, I was underestimating the incredible amount of markets and outlets for imports at the time (outside of the big Hollywood distributors like UA and MGM) - after thinking about this I definitely side with your take.

Popular genres like peplums, gothic horror or spy films were tailor-made for US markets, complete with American stars or anglicized names and casts, and at least got some sort of distribution on American cable or played grindhouses, drive-ins or whatever fleapit at various stages.

A lot of these received re-edits and brand new scores (AIP in particular was notorious for this) and were dumped as the second title of a double bill. Cervantes and Bora Bora are good examples, and both received new scores by the great Les Baxter in the US cuts (like a lot of these films, the multiple soundtracks are available but the films are nowhere to be found). These often had a brief run in America for a few weeks but subsequently reside in total obscurity in a vault somewhere (I can only imagine how many US edits and dubs are completely lost now).

Rather difficult, though, to find out where and when they were released, since most weren't marketed as Italian films, with distributors chopping 'em up, changing the opening credits, and with fragmented US markets the same film could be released under many different titles. Even well-known films (now, that is) from Bava, Margheriti or Fulci would play Southern drive-ins and a couple of years later would re-appear under a totally different title yet again in some West Coast grindhouse. Most of the time, the audience wasn't even aware they were watching an Italian production.

Exactly! I just watched Mario Bava's wild, infectious Five Dolls for an August Moon, and every character has an American name and there's even a scene where a character takes lipstick and writes on a mirror in English. Although I watched it in its original Italian, the English dub matches the characters lips better than most dubs, and if you caught this on television or at a drive-in in the early seventies it might've blended in with the typical fare well enough (though it's all very "Italian" to me, especially Umiliani's great score).

And keeping with the topic, I rented the Italian DVD of La Calda Vita (Ripley's Home Video), which unfortunately doesn't have English subtitles for the Italian track but it does include an English dub. Which is fine - it seems to be the kind of film that can be enjoyed on a dub. I'll report more once I've seen it.

pro-bassoonist

#28 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon May 10, 2010 12:14 am

Hello Dylan,

If I am not mistaken, quite some time ago we exchanged emails about classic Italian films available on SDVD (English-friendly). I have a pretty big library of Italian films and would be glad to exchange information with you.

Take a look at some of Mya Communication's titles -- this is a company that took over the No Shame catalog, to a certain degree; they have some very good films that have never before been released with English subtitles. Unfortunately, quality-wise they are not overly impressive. I also own most everything English-friendly Minerva, Ripley and a few of the other smaller labels released in Italy during the last 6-7 years.

Pro-B
Last edited by pro-bassoonist on Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camera Obscura

#29 Post by Camera Obscura » Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 am

pro-bassoonist wrote:Take a look at some of Mya Communication's titles -- this is a company that took over the Old Shame catalog, to a certain degree; they have some very good films that have never before been released with English subtitles. Unfortunately, the quality-wise they are not overly impressive. I also own most everything English-friendly Minerva, Ripley and a a few of the other smaller labels released in Italy during the last 6-7 years.
You can't be serious about MYA...

They're an ordinary bootleg operation, not owning the rights for anything they released so far and churning out the worst possible product imaginable. And most important of all, they are in no way connected to the old NoShame people. They did not take over any catalog. They're just taking advantage of a defunct DVD-label, because legally, their former catalog is an easy target.
After almost two years, some vague claims by Salvatore Alongi and Marcello Rossi who supposedly worked for NoShame and supposedly run MYA. They have no website and to my knowledge, not a single right owner has been approached by MYA. Ever.

90 % of their output so far has been of abysmal VHS-quality and simple TV-rips, and their 'better' titles (DVD-quality) are (how co-incidental) all former No Shame's, so chances of legal claims are minimal, and quality-wise, those are far worse, with usually just the English track included, lacking all extras and even picture quality not a patch on the earlier NoShame editions. MYA are by far the worst leeches I've ever come across in DVD-land. My guess: a couple of guys in a crummy apartment in Naples throwing films on a disc they recorded from Italian television in the '90s and laughing their ass off how US webshops actually stock these. Worst of all, they are ruining the already slim chances of quality releases of Italian genrefilms in the process.

I have no problem with operations like Alpha Video. At least they were honest about what they did and usually backed off when legal alternatives popped up. MYA is not. Just in the same league as lowlives stealing fansubs and presenting them as their own. Absolutely worthless for the fan community and totally unnecessary in these days of easy filesharing to spend money on their worthless presentations.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I will oppose any kind of endorsement for MYA.

pro-bassoonist

#30 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon May 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Good afternoon Camera Obscura,

First, I believe I made it perfectly clear that quality-wise Mya are not to be trusted. However, they have brought certain films to the U.S. that have never before been released in North America, and, good or bad, their discs are the only option non-Italian speakers have to see these films.

Second, I believe you misinterpreted what I wrote. I did not claim that they are connected to No Shame, which, by the way is a company I had a very good relationship with a few year ago while they were still in business, as I covered their output exclusively. What I meant by "took over the No Shame catalog" is that they filled up a gap after No Shame stopped releasing.

Third, not all of Mya's "good" titles are former No Shame titles. The Maniacs and The Inveterate Bachelor are good examples.

Fourth, I cannot possibly know whether or not Mya own the rights for the films they are releasing, but I do know for a fact that they are not the worst offender on the U.S. market. :)

In any event, classic Italian cinema from the 50s, 60s and 70s is practically missing from the U.S. market, which is a real shame. From Bolognini and Risi to Salce and Samperi, there is hardly anything available at the moment. What is even more disheartening is that practically none of Gina Lollobrigida, Sophia Loren (La Ciociara), Lisa Gastoni, Virna Lisi, etc., big Italian films are available here.

I keep hoping that Criterion would eventually begin releasing more classic Italian cinema, or at least bring some films through their Eclipse series, but at the moment they really do not seem interested in doing so at all.

Pro-B

zedz

#31 Post by zedz » Mon May 10, 2010 10:54 pm

pro-bassoonist wrote:I keep hoping that Criterion would eventually begin releasing more classic Italian cinema, or at least bring some films through their Eclipse series, but at the moment they really do not seem interested in doing so at all.
This doesn't seem like the case to me. Apart from the French and Japanese juggernauts, Italian cinema is better represented than any other foreign language cinema in the Criterion catalogue, and by a huge margin: more than forty films, by my count. Even Germany's barely scraped into the teens, and I don't think they've managed more than ten Russian films. Neither of those national cinemas are exactly marginal in cinema history.

TMDaines

#32 Post by TMDaines » Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 am

I don't know why people don't just import the Italian disks and use fansubs. People complain it's not out, when it actually is in Italy a lot of the time.

Camera Obscura

#33 Post by Camera Obscura » Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 pm

pro-bassoonist wrote:Good afternoon Camera Obscura,

First, I believe I made it perfectly clear that quality-wise Mya are not to be trusted. However, they have brought certain films to the U.S. that have never before been released in North America, and, good or bad, their discs are the only option non-Italian speakers have to see these films.

Second, I believe you misinterpreted what I wrote. I did not claim that they are connected to No Shame, which, by the way is a company I had a very good relationship with a few year ago while they were still in business, as I covered their output exclusively. What I meant by "took over the No Shame catalog" is that they filled up a gap after No Shame stopped releasing.

Third, not all of Mya's "good" titles are former No Shame titles. The Maniacs and The Inveterate Bachelor are good examples.

Fourth, I cannot possibly know whether or not Mya own the rights for the films they are releasing, but I do know for a fact that they are not the worst offender on the U.S. market.
I'm sorry, buddy. I was a little high on coffee and sugar, tend to get a little excited whenever I see the three letters M.Y.A. on my screen.

I can only speak for myself, but putting out non-legit tape-sourced garbage for $20-25 retail is not filling any gap for me. That's just insane. I'm just warning folks to think twice before spending anything on these discs. There's a handful that's acceptable: The Maniacs and The Inveterate Bachelor look pretty decent, some Edwige Fenech stuff, a 1988 Lamberto Bava TV-film (for which they probably ripped a legit Dutch release). Releasing titles we already have that haven't been significantly cleaned up is just lame. I can do that myself.

Seemed to me the legal issue has been pretty much settled now. A simple email or letter to Dania Film, Luciano Martino, Warner, MGM, just to name a couple of right holders for a number of titles will do the trick and they're not legit. This has been discussed extensively on other forums, doen't seem tio be an issue anymore. No way you can put out 30-40 titles a year, and to top it all of, Four Flies came from a TV screening, while they claimed to onw the rights.. And MYA ludicrously retitles films to make people think it's a different movie and not to arouse any suspicion from the copyright holders. Hardly a good sign of a legit company. I've been very patient and willing to see what MYA was gonna give us. They simply gave us the finger.

But besides legal entanglements, chances these films getting a legit release anywhere were pretty slim anyway, but still a major nuisance for BU, Synapse, Code Red or Severin, who at least make an effort.
TMDaines wrote:I don't know why people don't just import the Italian disks and use fansubs. People complain it's not out, when it actually is in Italy a lot of the time.
That's certainly an option. :) And if MYA did just that, at least picture quality would be acceptable and perhaps worth $10 for the effort, provided they stop stealing other people's work. But hardly anyhthing they've released so far is out on DVD (perhaps the Fenech films.), even in Italy. I've only seen third generation VHS-rips or stuff sourced from Italian television.

pro-bassoonist

#34 Post by pro-bassoonist » Tue May 11, 2010 4:23 pm

zedz wrote:
pro-bassoonist wrote:I keep hoping that Criterion would eventually begin releasing more classic Italian cinema, or at least bring some films through their Eclipse series, but at the moment they really do not seem interested in doing so at all.
This doesn't seem like the case to me. Apart from the French and Japanese juggernauts, Italian cinema is better represented than any other foreign language cinema in the Criterion catalogue, and by a huge margin: more than forty films, by my count. Even Germany's barely scraped into the teens, and I don't think they've managed more than ten Russian films. Neither of those national cinemas are exactly marginal in cinema history.
Good afternoon,

I think that there is a very good reason why Italian cinema has a number of titles in the Criterion collection; the point I was making is that aside from the Rossellini films, there has been nothing else (I don't count the Blu-ray release of 8 1/2). On the other hand, aside from the big classic Italian titles that are typically considered in every major market, it would be great if Criterion tackled some of the lesser known in North America films by directors such as Salce, Risi, Scola, Lizani, etc. Frankly, if you are an English-speaker, the works of these very important directors are practically impossible to see (unless, as suggested already, you wish to consider the fan subs route).

As to German and Russian (I assume you mean Soviet) cinema, you are probably right that they have been somewhat neglected, as has been Spanish cinema, but German cinema from the 50, 60s, 70s and even the 80s, really, can hardly be compared to Italian cinema. This is just a fact, and I think that you would agree.

On a slightly different note, there have been quite a few very interesting films from the fromer GDR that First Run Features (if I am not mistaken) released. They are PAL-NTSC ports, but some of these titles appeared in Germany with optional English subtitles (in native PAL) as well as in the UK.

Pro-B

Perkins Cobb

#35 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm

pro-bassoonist wrote:On a slightly different note, there have been quite a few very interesting films from the fromer GDR that First Run Features (if I am not mistaken) released. They are PAL-NTSC ports, but some of these titles appeared in Germany with optional English subtitles (in native PAL) as well as in the UK.
Getting off topic, but do you happen to remember which films are available in native PAL?

pro-bassoonist

#36 Post by pro-bassoonist » Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Good evening Perkins,

If I am not mistaken, some of the native PAL titles are Berlin Schoenhauser Corner, The Architects, etc...

Pro-B

Dylan

#37 Post by Dylan » Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 am

I watched the RHV DVD of “La Calda Vita” this weekend, I would call this film one of the major teen dramas of the sixties. It opens with Catherine Spaak smoking a cigarette on the patio of her shared apartment, staring into the distance at a cold, almost post-apocalyptic industrial landscape akin to the best of Antonioni. For a "beach" film, this was a completely unexpected but fantastic opening. She goes out with her wild sister one night, but doesn't act up in the proceedings, remaining collected and reserved in the night life. The next day she gets invited by her cousin (actually her aunt’s adopted son) and his friend Freddy to spend a weekend at Freddy’s uncle’s villa on a nearby island. The son has stolen $50,000 lire to buy a pair of skis for Catherine in an effort to impress her, but while he is attractive, he is also soft, naive and inexperienced, and she gravitate more toward his friend, who’s cooler and more confident. Eventually, Gabriele Ferzetti shows up to the island, and though he befriends the three, his presence disrupts their rapport and things happen. Ferzetti’s excellent in this.

I have a great affinity for Francoise Sagan-like dramas and the kind of picture La Calda Vita represents, so I thought it was excellent. Catherine Spaak is such a tremendous joy to watch – you only have to watch her for a few seconds to see exactly why she was considered the major teen star of sixties Italian cinema (though zero of her sixties Italian films are on DVD in American). I have a song by her that Morricone orchestrated, but other than that I had seen her picture a few times and that was it – she’s due for more exposure over here. The girl’s radiant, emotional, and a joy to spend a few hours with. The cinematography is beautiful, showcasing the island as a dream for the teens but it also knows when to show it as something big and alienating as well. Carlo Rustichelli’s score is wonderful (aren’t all of his scores?). The atmosphere and overall feeling recalls Sagan or Evan Hunter – it communicates the fun and sadness of being a teenager in the midst of confusion and tragedy, with the location being a beautiful island. Where's this film's reputation?!

The DVD from Ripley's, alas, only includes an English dub. What's interesting here is that this track clearly derived from a print of the American version of La Calda Vita. It's evident that some fifteen minutes of cuts were made for the American release and those scenes (including a very crucial dialogue in the last ten minutes that I have no idea at all why American distributors would cut) are in Italian without subtitles when you watch the English dub. I could understand what was basically going on in these scenes with my excessively limited understanding of Italian (the performances help, too), so it doesn't hinder the viewing for this English speaker, but it would be nice to watch the entire film in Italian with English subtitles someday. The visual quality on the DVD is excellent, and it has some fun newsreel featurettes on the filming of this film (not subbed, and they don't really need to be) and a trailer.

otis

Re: Italian DVDs With Italian Subs

#38 Post by otis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm

I'll be in Milan next week. Does anyone have any recommendations for recent Italian DVDs that might have passed under my radar? English subs not necessary!

TMDaines

#39 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:24 pm

otis wrote:I'll be in Milan next week. Does anyone have any recommendations for recent Italian DVDs that might have passed under my radar? English subs not necessary!
Anything from Ripley's Home Video, Raro, Minerva Classic, Cristaldi Film and (usually) Surf Video you can't go wrong with. Italian film is very well served on DVD, especially if you don't need your releases to be English friendly.

The Limited Edition of Il sorpasso is heavily reduced at a lot of online retailers right now and it's quite a lovely set. Haven't watched it yet as I only received my copy today.

There's this Brigulio Film release which is one a limited print run too. Again I haven't watched it yet as I only received my copy today but it's supposed to be a great set.

Ripley's have just released Un americano a Roma on Blu which I'm sure is great.

I could be here listing releases all night so if you narrow your interests down a little bit I can list some more.

Knappen

#40 Post by Knappen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Un americano on blu?! I might be the first person on the planet who will go and buy a blu player because of that particular film..

otis

#41 Post by otis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:01 pm

TMD
I'm most interested in Italian cinema from 30s to 70s (that's not particularly narrow, I know!). I've already got a lot of stuff from the labels you mentioned - are you aware of any new releases from the last 12 months or so? Not a fan of Sordi, but I may check out the Walter Chiari double. That Il sorpasso edition look hilarious!

Knappen

#42 Post by Knappen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm

You should def go for some Blasetti. Palio is a very exciting release:

TMDaines

#43 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Knappen wrote:Un americano on blu?! I might be the first person on the planet who will go and buy a blu player because of that particular film..
Review of it here: http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showthread.php?p=2546672

The screenshots look gorgeous!
otis wrote:I'm most interested in Italian cinema from 30s to 70s (that's not particularly narrow, I know!). I've already got a lot of stuff from the labels you mentioned - are you aware of any new releases from the last 12 months or so? Not a fan of Sordi, but I may check out the Walter Chiari double.
Sounds like you have similar interests to me then. I'm not a big fan of Sordi, or indeed Toto for that matter, either.

Palio, like Knappen said, has come out recently by RHV. La tavola dei poveri, too by Blasetti, came out at around the same time. There's the Brigulio Film set I mentioned before. Raro have recently released Delitto d'amore. Dolmen have released a heck of a lot on the Cristaldi Film label in the last year, which you can see here: Clicky

http://www.dvd-store.it/DVD/DVD-Video/index.aspx is probably the best site to search for DVDs as you can select all the good labels and search by date of pubblication - and unlike most of the other sites the dates don't reset everytime they receive a new batch.
otis wrote:That Il sorpasso edition look hilarious!
The Il sorpasso is a bargain at ten euros!

rohmerin

#44 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:45 am

I bought il sorpasso at the Media Markt in Bruselas for only 4'95 €.

Sordi's Nando il americano appears again in Un giorno in pretura, a good and funny pink neorealism comedy by Steno.

In 2008, in Italy they made a list like the AFI of 101 films to be preserved. I own all except Lattuada's The beach, impossible to find. I'm a fan of Sordi, I highly recommend (some are listed, some not) Un borguese piccolo piccolo, La mia signora, I complessi, De Sica's il boom and il giudizio universale, or i magliari and La donna scimmia, by far, the best two films I've seen this year.

Here the list

100+1 della lista

Quattro passi tra le nuvole di A. Blasetti (1942)
Ossessione di L. Visconti (1943)
Roma città aperta di R. Rossellini (1945)
Paisà di R. Rossellini (1946)
Sciuscià di V. De Sica (1946)
L'onorevole Angelina di L. Zampa (1947)
Ladri di biciclette di V. De Sica (1948)
La terra trema di L. Visconti (1948)
Riso amaro di G. De Santis (1949)
La città dolente di M. Bonnard (1949)
Cielo sulla palude di A. Genina (1949)
Stromboli di R. Rossellini (1949)
Catene di R. Matarazzo (1949)
Il cammino della speranza di P. Germi (1950)
Domenica d'agosto di L. Emmer (1950)
Cronaca di un'amore di M. Antonioni (1950)
Luci del varietà di A. Lattuada e F. Fellini (1950)
Prima comunione di A. Blasetti (1950)
Bellissima di L. Visconti (1951)
Due soldi di speranza di R. Castellani (1951)
Guardie e ladri di Steno e M. Monicelli (1951)
Miracolo a Milano di V. De Sica (1951)
La famiglia Passaguai di A. Fabrizi (1951)
Umberto D di V. De Sica (1952)
Europa 51 di R. Rossellini (1952)
Lo sceicco bianco di F. Fellini (1952)
Totò a colori di Steno (1952)
Don Camillo di J. Duvivier (1952)
Pane amore e fantasia di L. Comencini (1953)
I vitelloni di F. Fellini (1953)
La spiaggia di A. Lattuada (1953)
Napoletani a Milano di E. De Filippo (1953)
Febbre di vivere di C. Gora (1953)
La provinciale di M. Soldati (1953)
Carosello napoletano di E. Giannini (1953)
Il sole negli occhi di A. Pietrangeli (1953)
L'oro di Napoli di V. De Sica (1954)
Un americano a Roma di Steno (1954)
L'arte di arrangiarsi di L. Zampa (1954)
Senso di L. Visconti (1954)
La strada di F. Fellini (1954)
Una donna libera di V. Cottafavi (1954)
Gli sbandati di F. Maselli (1955)
Un eroe dei nostri tempi di M. Monicelli (1955)
Poveri ma belli di D. Risi (1956)
Il grido di M. Antonioni (1957)
Le notti di Cabiria di F. Fellini (1957)
I soliti ignoti di M. Monicelli (1958)
Arrangiatevi! di M. Bolognini (1959)
La grande guerra di M. Monicelli (1959)
I magliari di F. Rosi (1959)
Tutti a casa di L. Comencini (1960)
La dolce vita di F. Fellini (1960)
Rocco e i suoi fratelli di L. Visconti (1960)
La ragazza con la valigia di V. Zurlini (1960)
La lunga notte del 1943 di F. Vancini (1960)
Il bell'Antonio di A. Bolognini (1960)
Una vita difficile di D. Risi (1961)
Divorzio all'italiana di P. Germi (1961)
Il posto di E. Olmi (1961)
Accattone di P. Pasolini (1961)
Leoni al sole di V. Caprioli (1961)
Il sorpasso di D. Risi (1962)
Salvatore Giuliano di F. Rosi (1962)
L'eclisse di M. Antonioni (1962)
Mafioso di A. Lattuada (1962)
I mostri di D. Risi (1963)
Le mani sulla città di F. Rosi (1963)
Otto e mezzo di F. Fellini (1963)
Il Gattopardo di L. Visconti (1963)
La donna scimmia di F. Ferreri (1963)
Chi lavora è perduto di T. Brass (1963)
La vita agra di C. Lizzani (1964)
I pugni in tasca di M. Bellocchio (1965)
Io la conoscevo bene di A. Pietrangeli (1965)
Comizi d'amore di P. Pasolini (1965)
Signore e signori di P. Germi (1966)
Uccellacci e uccellini di P. Pasolini (1966)
La battaglia di Algeri di G. Pontecorvo (1966)
La Cina è vicina di M. Bellocchio (1967)
Dillinger è morto di M. Ferreri (1968)
Banditi a Milano di C. Lizzani (1968)
Il medico della mutua di L. Zampa (1968)
Indagine su un cittadino... di E. Petri (1970)
Il conformista di B. Bertolucci (1970)
L'udienza di M. Ferreri (1971)
Diario di un maestro di V. De Seta (1972)
Il caso Mattei di F. Rosi (1972)
Lo scopone scientifico di L. Comencini (1972)
Nel nome del padre di M. Bellocchio (1972)
Amarcord di F. Fellini (1974)
C'eravamo tanto amati di E. Scola (1974)
Pane e cioccolata di F. Brusati (1974)
Fantozzi di L. Salce (1975)
Novecento di B. Bertolucci (1976)
Cadaveri eccellenti di F. Rosi (1976)
Una giornata particolare di E. Scola (1977)
Un borghese piccolo piccolo di M. Monicelli (1977)
Padre padrone di P. e V. Taviani (1977)
L'albero degli zoccoli di E. Olmi (1978)
I documentari di V. De Seta (1954-59)

Knappen

#45 Post by Knappen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks for the list.

I like the picks a lot, but isn't it a tad extreme to have films from 1942-1978 only?

Anyway: Just taking a quick look at this list, people should realize that they are missing out on a lot of things that they never even heard about before. Go to night classes to learn the language, make a petition for English friendly releases, get an Italian boyfriend or girlfriend, anything..

djvaso

#46 Post by djvaso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:35 am

rohmerin wrote:I bought il sorpasso at the Media Markt in Bruselas for only 4'95 €.

Sordi's Nando il americano appears again in Un giorno in pretura, a good and funny pink neorealism comedy by Steno.

In 2008, in Italy they made a list like the AFI of 101 films to be preserved. I own all except Lattuada's The beach, impossible to find. I'm a fan of Sordi, I highly recommend (some are listed, some not) Un borguese piccolo piccolo, La mia signora, I complessi, De Sica's il boom and il giudizio universale, or i magliari and La donna scimmia, by far, the best two films I've seen this year.

Here the list

100+1 della lista

Banditi a Milano di C. Lizzani (1968)
I suppose that you have 'Banditi a Milano' only on DVD-R. I have never heard of official release of this incredible film

rohmerin

#47 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 am

The films that aren't released on DVD, yes, I've got all on RAI (tv) RIP.

I made a mistake, Sordi il americano was first in Un giono in pretura, De Laurentis didn't want him because he wasn't "bello" but the film was so succesful that fast they made Un americano in Roma, and the stradoom of Sordi started. I'm watching the extras on the DVD box in this moment.

It's funny I love the Italian kings of comedy Sordi, Tognazzi, Gassman and Nino Manfredi but I can not stand their national icom Totò.

rohmerin

#48 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:47 am

Knappen wrote:Anyway: Just taking a quick look at this list, people should realize that they are missing out on a lot of things that they never even heard about before. Go to night classes to learn the language, make a petition for English friendly releases, get an Italian boyfriend or girlfriend, anything..
for the million of Italian-Americans, make complain, get lists, anyway. For me it's easy to speak and read, understand etc Italian language because I loved it since I was a child and it's so close to Spanish that it's scary... but with English, Scandivian languages, etc, I'm afraid it's a far linguist planet.

TMDaines

#49 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 am

What I want to see released is De Santis' Roma ore 11. Considering it's supposedly one of the most important neorealist films it's quite the rarity. It's rarely been shown on RAI and has never been released on home video. I've got the TV rip off the e2Dk network but never watched it as it is such bad quality.

rohmerin

#50 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:36 am

Rome ore 11 is an absolute masterpiece. I've seen worst rips, this was not so bad. Try the 985MB, threre are two TV rips, the other is 805 MB. Don't be lazy and watch it. You w'ont sorry.

About "sorriness"; sorry about all the copias impropias, but here in Soccer and toros land (and in Italy) internet download piracy is so normal as to take a wine, beer or café in a terrace (no exageration). And people talk and "presumir" in public, it's not a secret, we are a horrible low cultured people country, I know.
Fortunatelly in Italy their cinema is treated in better conditions (piracy too) than Spanish one in Spain.

For the tarveller to Milano, two tips:
- Sanguepazzo (2008), about Luisa Ferida, her lover and their support in Salò Republique for Mussolini
- il merlo maschio (1971), super funny erotic comedy with the gorgeous Goddess Laura Antonelli, naked in most of monuments of the bautiful Verona city.