Mubi

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MaxS

Re: Mubi

#26 Post by MaxS » Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 am

I just use it to stream things or browse some the interesting lists and not so much the social aspects,
so even though I preferred TheAuteurs and found mubi weird - I didn't really care about the name change.

Then I read this link,
Ovader wrote:pronounce
I might be over-analyzing but I find the new name kind of racist.. "haha dumb Europeans/Asians/whatever can't pronounce English properly".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm

ATTN MODS: Can we get the Auteurs to change their name back so we can stop getting their awful posters here?

knives

#28 Post by knives » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:30 am

domino harvey wrote:ATTN MODS: Can we get the Auteurs to change their name back so we can stop getting their awful posters here?
Seconded

Murdoch

#29 Post by Murdoch » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 am

I don't think that'll stop it. You get one then more come, it's like a plague. Look, you fools, we're in danger! Can't you see?! They're after you! They're after all of us! Our wives, our children, everyone! THEY'RE HERE, ALREADY!

matrixschmatrix

#30 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 am

Murdoch wrote:I don't think that'll stop it. You get one then more come, it's like a plague. Look, you fools, we're in danger! Can't you see?! They're after you! They're after all of us! Our wives, our children, everyone! THEY'RE HERE, ALREADY!
Great, an Arizonan.

HarryLong

#31 Post by HarryLong » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:ATTN MODS: Can we get the Auteurs to change their name back so we can stop getting their awful posters here?
Don't despair until Demetrius shows up.

hidaniel

#32 Post by hidaniel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Good, makes it easier for me to find stuff on Luke Haines; less Google pollution.

As for the site, never used it so no comment. Now the forums, I've checked them out a couple of times. They're smart in a junior high school sort of way, you can't fault the people who frequent it for that, that's just who they are. They're the sort of people who list Chabon, Foer and Eggers as their favorite modern writers. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but not a whole lot right either. It is what it is.

HistoryProf

#33 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 pm

email today from them:
The Auteurs Presents: Agnès Varda Retrospective
curious that the name change is so half-assed....it also says

The AUTERES

by MUBI

at the bottom. very odd.

HarryLong

#34 Post by HarryLong » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am

Part of the site is still under The Auteurs cognomen... though it seesm spelling it is a big a problem as pronouncing it...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:01 pm

In my forumless desperation yesterday, I wandered over to Mubi to see what others had to say about the November release slate. I found this comment amusing:
I cannot wait!!!!! This might actually be my first month of having to buy all the Criterion releases. (Except “Antichrist”….I saw that on IFC and didn't really care for it.)
So, um, it will be just another month then.

I am kind of sad though that we don't have a thread here called "So how many of you think Tarkovsky was murdered?"

HarryLong

#36 Post by HarryLong » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 pm

swo17 wrote:In my forumless desperation yesterday, I wandered over to Mubi to see what others had to say about the November release slate. I found this comment amusing:
I cannot wait!!!!! This might actually be my first month of having to buy all the Criterion releases. (Except “Antichrist”….I saw that on IFC and didn't really care for it.)
So, um, it will be just another month then.

I am kind of sad though that we don't have a thread here called "So how many of you think Tarkovsky was murdered?"
The OP would probably go something like"
"Some think Tarkovsky was murdered.
Discuss."

Zot!

#37 Post by Zot! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Does the MUBI streaming programming have anything to do with CC output? Recently they had Beiniex movies streaming, and they got my hopes up for a Diva BD to replace my CC Diva laserdisc.

ambrose

#38 Post by ambrose » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 pm

possible format "restructuring" afoot at the mubi forum

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Mubi has standards of discussion?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#40 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:33 am

domino harvey wrote:Mubi has standards of discussion?
Sure they do. Where else in the world can you get a bunch of Ray Carney fanatics and people who consider who consider anything Hollywood useless and have them discuss discuss the latest Kanye West video or spout hyperbolic statements about movies?

HarryLong

#41 Post by HarryLong » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 am

Okay, this thread made me go back over there for the first time in months. I checked out a thread on Danny Elfman & found:
Forgetting all the other smaller scale and numerous other countless scores he’s written over the years.
There's an example of the standards...
Oh, and I'd forgotten how fond most posters over there are of the phrase "based off of."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#42 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:16 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Sure they do. Where else in the world can you get a bunch of Ray Carney fanatics and people who consider who consider anything Hollywood useless and have them discuss discuss the latest Kanye West video or spout hyperbolic statements about movies?
That just makes me miss having Ray Carney to kick around. RIP His horrible university mailbag blog thing

matrixschmatrix

#43 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:19 pm

domino harvey wrote: That just makes me miss having Ray Carney to kick around. RIP His horrible university mailbag blog thing
Say what you like about that guy, he's got one of the funniest wikipedia pages around.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Oh man, that quote about his own students is amazing. Funny how he never mentioned that, what is almost surely the reason they took his university webspace away, and blamed it on a war of ideas

ambrose

#45 Post by ambrose » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:20 pm

sophomoric and slightly offensive "humour" at the mubi forum

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#46 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:41 am

So being a bit addicted once again to John Ford, aside from watching the ones I've already seen, I've finally been getting around to seeing the ones I've always been meaning to see like My Darling Clementine, The Iron Horse and tonight, Young Mr. Lincoln. I use MUBI in the most anti-social sense where I use it mostly to keep track of all I've seen and to see what a few of my friends think of certain films. Of course, I give the postings about Young Mr. Lincoln in once through and come about this gem.
Gorgeously made, but terribly artificial. Fonda's ridiculous performance makes me wish John Wilkes Booth had been around 40 years early.
This is what I mean by hyperbolic statements on MUBI. And then look for that same user posting about the genius of Sweeney Todd.

So many of the people on the Goddamn site are so picky too. It makes me question why are they even interested in cinema if they can't enjoy The Searchers or All That Heaven Allows! And don't get me started on the Ray Carney fanatics that hold him and his views on art higher than the artists themselves. Do these people even have there own opinions or thoughts or are they just good at regurgitating what that man says? And let's admit it, when a film professor, not a director or actor or anyone directly involved in the medium, is your avatar, it's a bit extreme.

ambrose

#47 Post by ambrose » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Mr Sausage

#48 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Does that forum have no quote function? Or moderators, for that matter?

ambrose

#49 Post by ambrose » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:00 pm

ambrose

#50 Post by ambrose » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 am

Since I posted this link the contributor in question has removed the disgruntled comment's from his profile!.(Perhaps there is a lesson for me in that fact!)