Criterion and Sony

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
knives

Re: Criterion and Sony

#176 Post by knives » Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Doesn't J&A already a good disc out in a Harryhausen set?

ianungstad

#177 Post by ianungstad » Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 pm

knives wrote:Doesn't J&A already a good disc out in a Harryhausen set?
No. It's a barebones disc. The only feature on it is a fluffy 10 minute interview with John Landis. The Landis interview is repeated on several of the other discs in the set, so if you go through all the "features" you get to watch the same puff piece 3/4 times. The set is just a re-packaging of the individual titles. There is a R2 disc that has an hour long documentary on Harryhausen directed by Leonard Nimoy, the only other extras created for the film were on the Criterion laserdisc. Hopefully Mulvaney confirms the title! I'll still buy the special edition from Sony with Criterion extras regardless of how things shake out.

Props55

#178 Post by Props55 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:11 pm

The documentary is also on THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD R1 disc. It's actually directed by Richard Schickel with narration by Nimoy and features a good selection of clips from his Mother Goose and U.S. Army training films as well as some rather sophisticated juvenalia. It should have been the default repeat on the series rather than the lame Landis piece. The Sony transfer looks quite good (I saw it projected at 8x13 several weeks ago) but the combination of Harryhausen/Eder and a CC upgrade could make me double dip. SEVENTH VOYAGE could really use a new restoration/clean-up/upgrade so perhaps CC can get this one as well. Was it also part of their LD catalogue?

PfR73

#179 Post by PfR73 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:56 pm

I think it's more likely that Sony licensed the extras from Criterion, probably in exchange for some of the other stuff it's been confirmed Criterion is releasing. Sony has been re-releasing many Harryhausen films on DVD & Blu-Ray recently, so it would be strange for them to license this one away.

foofighters7

#180 Post by foofighters7 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:47 am

I'm not Quite sure of rights involved for the film, but I Thought that 'In the Company of Men' was a Sony release on dvd?

I had the original release and only remember a commentary track or so.

I think this title would certainly be "Criterion bait".

If its already been mentioned here, sorry. I read through the posts but didn't find anything mentioning it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#181 Post by swo17 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:00 am

It is a Sony release, with basically only a commentary track. And the transfer looks like crap. (Interlacing does wonders for office blinds.)

LightBulbFilm

#182 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sat May 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Woody Allen's Sweet and Lowdown is OOP and had a full frame modified transfer. Maybe Criterion will snatch it up?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#183 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat May 30, 2009 4:21 pm

What's the point? Woody Allen would have no part in it.

LightBulbFilm

#184 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sat May 30, 2009 4:41 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:What's the point? Woody Allen would have no part in it.
Just like a handful of other director's whose films are in the collection. Regardless if he would take part or not I'm sure if they were interested they would pick it up.

oldsheperd

#185 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 pm

"The Victors". My Pops is always telling me about this flick and as far as I know it was never released on video.

Person

#186 Post by Person » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 am

oldsheperd wrote:"The Victors". My Pops is always telling me about this flick and as far as I know it was never released on video.
Sony are releasing this hard-to-see film on DVD in the UK in September. I have wanted to see it for about 11 years.

John Hodson

#187 Post by John Hodson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Person wrote:
oldsheperd wrote:"The Victors". My Pops is always telling me about this flick and as far as I know it was never released on video.
Sony are releasing this hard-to-see film on DVD in the UK in September. I have wanted to see it for about 11 years.
Looks to have been put back to January 2010.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#188 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Looks like we can knock any Almodovar films out of the running for Criterion, at least for the near future. Sony is releasing the remastered titles from the "Viva Pedro" boxset ("Matador," "Laws of Desire," "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother") individually on November 3rd.

Also, has anyone seen any new information as to when we can expect the New Hollywood/American Mavericks boxset. It was tentatively slated for September; but now looks like it's been pushed completely off the schedule. As I'm eagerly anticipating owning half the movies included on that set ("Five Easy Pieces," "Head" and "King of Marvin Gardens"), any information as to when it's expected would be appreciated.

-BJ

Ovader

#189 Post by Ovader » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Also, has anyone seen any new information as to when we can expect the New Hollywood/American Mavericks boxset. It was tentatively slated for September; but now looks like it's been pushed completely off the schedule. As I'm eagerly anticipating owning half the movies included on that set ("Five Easy Pieces," "Head" and "King of Marvin Gardens"), any information as to when it's expected would be appreciated.
October 20 according to Amazon and I am also eagerly looking forward to this set since I haven't seen six of the seven films in the collection.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#190 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Ovader wrote:October 20 according to Amazon and I am also eagerly looking forward to this set since I haven't seen six of the seven films in the collection.
I saw the October 20th date too, after also seeing it listed as listed with an October 13th date on a few other websites; but I don't think it's showing up then. The William Castle boxset is also scheduled for that day; that has had an official release announcement from Sony, with a press release and page on Sony's website, but nothing's cropped up on the New Hollywood box.

Anyway, just being a touch impatient for an official announcement, seeing as I'm budgeting to include this in my purchases.

-BJ

knives

#191 Post by knives » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:Looks like we can knock any Almodovar films out of the running for Criterion, at least for the near future. Sony is releasing the remastered titles from the "Viva Pedro" boxset ("Matador," "Laws of Desire," "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother") individually on November 3rd.
That's great, but what of the other OOPs they have such as Bad Education. Guess I should just be glad I won't have to put forth an effort for WotVoaNB now.

onedimension

#192 Post by onedimension » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 am

Ishtar?

Feego

#193 Post by Feego » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 am

Does anyone know anything about the possibility of seeing Sally Potter's "Orlando" make it in the collection? The bare-bones Sony DVD is out of print, and Criterion needs more female directors. Also, I'd love to see this on Blu.

Ashirg

#194 Post by Ashirg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 am

And they can use extras from Artificial Eye's 2-discer. Some very nice features there, but image quality is not very good.

Feego

#195 Post by Feego » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:30 am

Ashirg wrote:And they can use extras from Artificial Eye's 2-discer. Some very nice features there, but image quality is not very good.
It appears Artificial Eye is re-releasing their edition. The package claims that it is "digitally remastered," but how good it will look remains to be seen. I don't know if it will have anything more than what the older edition had, but I would love to have some features that focused on Virginia Woolf's novel.

ianungstad

#196 Post by ianungstad » Thu May 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Boy, they sure seem to be spreading these Columbia titles out thin. I wonder if they even licensed that many films from Columbia.

I don't remember if it's already been mentioned in this thread butThe L Shaped Room seems like a likely candidate to me. British new wave classic, never been released in North America. Doesn't really fit into any "set" that Columbia can toss together. Would be a nice release! I have my fingers crossed!

I would also love either Criterion or Sony to rerelease Fat City with the restored print that made it's way around the rep. houses a year or so back.

FerdinandGriffon

#197 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Thu May 13, 2010 11:52 pm

ianungstad wrote:I would also love either Criterion or Sony to rerelease Fat City with the restored print that made it's way around the rep. houses a year or so back.
That would be incredible. Can't see Sony getting around to releasing this on Blu, but a Criterion release would be a dream.

ianungstad

#198 Post by ianungstad » Sat May 15, 2010 8:10 pm

I wouldn't mind Criterion releasing a special edition of Spike Jonze's Adaptation if they are licensing from Sony Pictures now. (I guess this is a separate deal from the the Columbia titles?) Sony were going to do a special edition years ago but that never materialized and the barebones superbit disc is all that's available.

The Sony discs of Satyajit Ray's APU trilogy went out of print. I wonder if Sony really lost the rights or they still have them and licensed the titles to Criterion and put their releases OOP. Criterion was non-committal/evasive about the Apu films on Facebook when they were generously answering questions last fall.

Maybe they could license Antonioni's The Passenger, port over the commentary tracks and include some small new extra and charge twice the price!

dad1153

#199 Post by dad1153 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 pm

^^^ Doesn't Nicholson own the rights/negative of "The Passenger" and Sony just licensed it from him for the 2005 revival and eventual DVD release? If this is going to make it to the collection it would have to go through Jack, wouldn't it?

Jeff

#200 Post by Jeff » Sat May 15, 2010 10:54 pm

dad1153 wrote:Doesn't Nicholson own the rights/negative of "The Passenger" and Sony just licensed it from him for the 2005 revival and eventual DVD release?
That's correct.

The sell sheets for August do indeed indicate that Crumb has been licensed from Sony Pictures Entertainment so, theoretically, SPC titles are now in play.