Turkish Cinema on DVD &Blu ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kemalettin

Turkish Cinema on DVD &Blu ray

#1 Post by kemalettin » Fri May 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Im wondering which companies released turkish features on dvd out side of Turkey.Cant see too much interest with Turkish Cinema this makes me sad :(

Lemmy Caution

Re: Turkish Cinema on DVD &Blu ray

#2 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri May 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Everything by Ceylan is out on Dvd.
His first two features on a nice Artificial Eye 2 disc set.

I have Head On and Kebab Connection on Dvd.
Two good films.
Head On fairly full throttle and in your face.
Kebab a little more lighthearted (an ME Do the Right Thing?)

Edit: I just bought Nefes: Vatan Sagolsun (2009) last week, but haven't watched it yet.

What else should we be looking for?
Which Turkish films would you recommend (and briefly why)?
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Fri May 07, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigP

#3 Post by bigP » Fri May 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Add Fatih Akin's Crossing the Bridge - which has an excellent UK release from Soda Pictures [complete with CD soundtrack] - and The Edge of Heaven released by Artificial Eye.

Reha Erdem's Times and Winds is available from Artificial Eye.

Abdullah Oguz's Bliss is available R1 from First Run Features
Last edited by bigP on Fri May 07, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemmy Caution

#4 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri May 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I just bought Nefes: Vatan Sagolsun (2009) last week, but haven't watched it yet. This is a film about an early 90's battle between a Turkish force and Kurdish fighters. Rated 8.2/10 on 9,925 votes at IMDb. Either it's very good or it gets the patriotic vote, or both.

I was just going to edit in The Edge of Heaven.
Not familiar with Crossing the Border or the others you mention.
Thanks.

I'm also hoping the original poster can rec some classic Turkish films.

jsteffe

#5 Post by jsteffe » Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm glad kemalettin has posted this. I was wondering lately if there are any good sources in the U.S. for ordering Turkish-produced DVDs, esp. titles that might have English subtitles.

kemalettin

#6 Post by kemalettin » Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm

im turk and living in Turkey :) seen all the movies that you mentioned.Reha Erdem,NBC and others are modern turkish directors.Actually i wanted to point out old turkish movies like Susuz Yaz (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062322/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) won Golden Bear at 1964,The Way (Yilmaz Güney) won Palme D'Or at 1982.
Speaking of Modern Turkish cinema didnt see Reha Erdem's Hayat Var released on europe (superb flick) and Semih Kaplanoglu movies (latelst film Bal from his trilogy won Golden Bear at Berlinale)

rojo

#7 Post by rojo » Fri May 07, 2010 4:17 pm

The Greek label Onar Films has released older, 1950s-1990s, Turkish films on DVD with English and Greek subtitles. Their releases even come with interviews and other supplements. There was also an American release of similar films of the Turkish Pop Cinema variety with English subtitles by Mondo Macabro.

Wu.Qinghua

#8 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Fri May 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:I have Head On and Kebab Connection on Dvd.
Two good films.
Head On fairly full throttle and in your face.
Kebab a little more lighthearted (an ME Do the Right Thing?)
@ Lemmy: 'Head On' as well as 'Kebab Connection' have been produced by the Hamburg-based production company Wueste Films, so they can hardly be described as Turkish films. But you surely knew this, Lemmy.
Anyway, it's misleading to interpret 'Kebab Connection' as some kind of German "Do the Right Thing". I guess Wueste tried to produce some kind of a mainstreamed culture clash comedy, so it would be better to think of the formula Gurinder Chadha established with "Bend it like Beckham" in the nineties. In some way, you may also interpret Saul's film as another failed effort to realize Deniz Goektuerk's theories about films dealing with migration. Goektuerk urged German etc. filmmakers, as far as I remember, to break with the traditions of the 60s and 70s and to produce no more social problem films, but some kind of 'anarchistic comedies'. I'd argue that she wasn't that familiar with the British situation and therefore misinterpreted British discussions back then. But see yourself, if you are interested in this stuff. One of her essays can be found in BFI's "German Cinema Book", another in "New German Critique".

Btw, Yilmaz Güney's films have been released with English subtitles on DVD, haven't they?

bigP

#9 Post by bigP » Fri May 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:Not familiar with Crossing the Border or the others you mention.
Sorry Lemmy, I wasn't thinking for a second and meant to write Crossing the Bridge not Crossing the Border. It's a nice little documentary about the musical styles and the sounds of life, from the small underground clubs to the famous street musician's, that create such a diverse and terrific impact on the Turkish art's scene.

I'm a big fan of Reha Erdem's Times and Winds, and unhesitatingly recommend picking up the Artificial Eye release (over the Kino release). It's had it's share of detractors, but I found the film to be utterly beautiful and the Arvo Pärt score to be absolutely magnificent.
kemalettin wrote:Speaking of Modern Turkish cinema didnt see Reha Erdem's Hayat Var released on europe (superb flick)
I'm really hoping this does get picked up in Europe on America in the near future. I've been looking forward to seeing it since it played in Berlin.

kemalettin

#10 Post by kemalettin » Fri May 07, 2010 6:59 pm

bigP wrote:
Lemmy Caution wrote:Not familiar with Crossing the Border or the others you mention.
Sorry Lemmy, I wasn't thinking for a second and meant to write Crossing the Bridge not Crossing the Border. It's a nice little documentary about the musical styles and the sounds of life, from the small underground clubs to the famous street musician's, that create such a diverse and terrific impact on the Turkish art's scene.

I'm a big fan of Reha Erdem's Times and Winds, and unhesitatingly recommend picking up the Artificial Eye release (over the Kino release). It's had it's share of detractors, but I found the film to be utterly beautiful and the Arvo Pärt score to be absolutely magnificent.
Yes Times and Winds great movie it has wonderful cinematography.I bet Reha Erdem paid more money to Arvo Part's music than rest of production budget :P

Camera Obscura

#11 Post by Camera Obscura » Fri May 07, 2010 7:01 pm

rojo wrote:The Greek label Onar Films has released older, 1950s-1990s, Turkish films on DVD with English and Greek subtitles. Their releases even come with interviews and other supplements. There was also an American release of similar films of the Turkish Pop Cinema variety with English subtitles by Mondo Macabro.
Bill Onar and his Onar Films really is one of a kind. Such a shame only Xploited wanted to stock his releases. VHS-quality mostly, but there's simply no source material for these films. Kilink Istanbul'da was brilliant, though.

jsteffe

#12 Post by jsteffe » Sat May 08, 2010 12:23 pm

kemalettin wrote:im turk and living in Turkey :) seen all the movies that you mentioned.Reha Erdem,NBC and others are modern turkish directors.Actually i wanted to point out old turkish movies like Susuz Yaz (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062322/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) won Golden Bear at 1964,The Way (Yilmaz Güney) won Palme D'Or at 1982.
Yilmaz Güney's Yol is a masterpiece. What a shame that it's not out on DVD in the US or UK.

htdm

#13 Post by htdm » Sun May 09, 2010 12:40 am

Camera Obscura wrote:Bill Onar and his Onar Films really is one of a kind. Such a shame only Xploited wanted to stock his releases. VHS-quality mostly, but there's simply no source material for these films. Kilink Istanbul'da was brilliant, though.
Another shout out for Onar Films.
I recently picked up Altin Cocuk - a 60s spy film - which looks several notches above anything else I've seen from them. Definitely worthwhile.

TheDoman

#14 Post by TheDoman » Tue May 18, 2010 4:18 pm

kemalettin wrote:im turk and living in Turkey :) seen all the movies that you mentioned.Reha Erdem,NBC and others are modern turkish directors.Actually i wanted to point out old turkish movies like Susuz Yaz (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062322/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) won Golden Bear at 1964,The Way (Yilmaz Güney) won Palme D'Or at 1982.
Speaking of Modern Turkish cinema didnt see Reha Erdem's Hayat Var released on europe (superb flick) and Semih Kaplanoglu movies (latelst film Bal from his trilogy won Golden Bear at Berlinale)
Semih Kaplanoglu is a really solid director, and I love his style of directing, and his outlook. All three films I have seen of his were really good (Angel's Fall, Yumurta, Sut), and I can't wait to see Bal. I know Herkes kendi evinde has been playing at festivals in Turkey, but do you think it will ever receive a DVD release in Turkey?

I really love Turkish cinema, as there are a lot of active directors who seem to have the style I like. Several directors using a slow, contemplative, atmospheric, dark, depressive style (Erdem, Ceylan, Kaplanoglu, Alper, Demirkubuz, Ustaoglu, etc). It is a shame that many of these directors go unnoticed, and few have releases outside of Turkish studios.

Grand Wazoo

#15 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:33 am

Diabolik dvd just posted that they found some Onar Films discs. They had 5 of each and are down to 3, 4, and 3 already.

Kadin Dusmani

Turkish Horror Double Bill

Altin Cocuk

Aunt Peg

#16 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:32 am

I've been buying Turkish films from this place for years and never had any problems with delivery, etc: http://www.tulumba.com/store.asp?tag=r01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;