Fox 75th Anniversary releases

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.

manicsounds

Re: Cavalcade & A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to make their US de

#2 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 am

But they are not officially confirmed yet. Just Fox saying there are plans for 75 years of 20th Century Fox. I really hope to see good extras, and possible Blurays of old films.

Matt

Re: Fox 75th Anniversary releases

#3 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Fox rips off Warner Bros. once again with their "Classic Quad Sets." I can't decide if I love or hate the idea of All About Eve and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls being in the same set. And the names of these sets: Classic Quad Set 5? There's something very cynical about that, like, "No one is going to buy these anyway, so we're not even going to give them descriptive names like 'Fox Classic Quartet: Film Noir.'"

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I also can't really see the connection that Inn of the Sixth Happiness has with the Valley Of The Dolls films and All About Eve!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5 Post by cdnchris » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm

At least there's a chance if you're fond of one of the film's in the set you'll also like the others (maybe.) At least they're nothing like that one Lionsgate DVD that had Brain Candy and Back to the Beach together, both films appealing to different tastes and it's pretty much guaranteed if someone likes one of the films they will certainly hate the other.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm

If they do the thing Warners did where they transferred over the extras, these are a good deal. Otherwise I'd pick up the individual releases, especially since they're so cheap and all have great bonus material

Cinephrenic

#7 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:44 am

Stupid combinations. At least Warner made more sense, but Russ Meyer and All About Eve??? I think I might pick up the epics one.

HarryLong

#8 Post by HarryLong » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:00 am

I can't decide if I love or hate the idea of All About Eve and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls being in the same set.
It's so gonzo, I've decided to love it.
Otherwise I'd pick up the individual releases, especially since they're so cheap and all have great bonus material
BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS has a suggested retail of $26.98; the Quad is $19.98...

ivy jo hunter

#9 Post by ivy jo hunter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:18 am

I read somewhere that Kazan's "Wild River" was owned by Fox. Certainly this movie is one of Kazan's severely underrated efforts. It's subtle performances by Remick and Clift are really outstanding. For those very reasons I suspect it will not be included in whatever movies Fox puts out to celebrate their 75th year.

Matt

#10 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 am

Fox does own it. It's one of those Fox films that's available on DVD just about everywhere except in the country in which it was made.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

After that beaut print that's been making the rep rounds, I kind of suspect a Criterion might be in its future, ala Bigger Than Life

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 23, 2010 9:39 pm

More of the sets are a'coming:

June 1:

Set 11 - THE BLUE MAX/THE DESERT FOX/IMMORTAL SARGEANT/SINK THE BISMARK

Set 12 - THE DESERT RATS/TWELVE O CLOCK HIGH/VON RYAN'S EXPRESS/THE YOUNG LIONS

August 13:

Set 13 - ON THE AVENUE/PINUP GIRL/SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS/YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW

Set 14 - DESK SET/HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE/HOW TO STEAL A MILLION/I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE

Set 15 - MOVE OVER DARLING/O HENRY'S FULL HOUSE/ON THE RIVERIA/RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS

whaleallright

#13 Post by whaleallright » Sat May 29, 2010 4:19 pm

I have it on good authority that Fox is working on a Kazan box. I was told it would likely include all the Kazan films for which Fox still holds the rights. The Fox Kazans are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Boomerang!, Gentleman's Agreement, Pinky, Panic in the Streets, Viva Zapata!, Man on a Tightrope, and Wild River.

Anyway, that's all I know.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 29, 2010 6:47 pm

They must be, because I just broke down and bought the R2 Viva Zapata! a few days ago

Yojimbo

#15 Post by Yojimbo » Sat May 29, 2010 7:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:More of the sets are a'coming:

June 1:

August 13:

Set 14 - DESK SET/HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE/HOW TO STEAL A MILLION/I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE

Set 15 - MOVE OVER DARLING/O HENRY'S FULL HOUSE/ON THE RIVERIA/RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS
My choice of metaphor might be inappropriate, particularly given the number of air-ace titles you've listed but they seem to be really 'plumbing the depths', now!

movielocke

#16 Post by movielocke » Sat May 29, 2010 8:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:More of the sets are a'coming:

June 1:

August 13:

This is such a useful format I thought I'd adopt it and type up the other ten sets, as I can't remember what they are.

Set 01 - Anna and the King of Siam / Cole Porter's Can Can / Daddy Long Legs / Star

Set 02 - An Affair to Remember / Leave her to Heaven / A Letter to Three Wives / Peyton Place

Set 03 - Anna Karenina / A Farewell to Arms / Les Miserables / The Sun Also Rises

Set 04 - The Agony and the Ecstasy / The Bible... In the Beginning / Demetrius and the Gladiators / The Robe

Set 05 - Francis of Assisi / the Gospel Road / A Man Called Peter / Song of Bernadette

Set 06 - Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth / Little Miss Broadway / My Friend Flicka / Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines

Set 07 - Anastasia / Gentleman's Agreement / The Ox-Bow Incident / The Snake Pit

Set 08 - Black Widow / Call Northside, 777 / Dangerous Crossing / Laura

Set 09 - All About Eve / Beyond the Valley of the dolls / The Inn of Sixth happiness / Valley of the Dolls

Set 10 - Mystery /???? / perhaps including All That Jazz, Carmen Jones and Hello Dolly

Ashirg

#17 Post by Ashirg » Sat May 29, 2010 11:07 pm

It's very weird - they went from set 9 to set 11. August sets show that they still make these with no rhyme or reason.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Why in the world would they separate the Desert Rats from the Desert Fox?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 29, 2010 11:14 pm

jonah.77 wrote:I have it on good authority that Fox is working on a Kazan box. I was told it would likely include all the Kazan films for which Fox still holds the rights. The Fox Kazans are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Boomerang!, Gentleman's Agreement, Pinky, Panic in the Streets, Viva Zapata!, Man on a Tightrope, and Wild River.
Isn't Sea of Grass Fox too?

Ashirg

#20 Post by Ashirg » Sat May 29, 2010 11:21 pm

The Sea of Grass is MGM production, now owned by Warner. The fact they didn't dump it or Keeper of the Flame into archives hopefully means they are going to release a Hepburn-Tracy Collection.

chizbooga

#21 Post by chizbooga » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Wild River yayyyyy! :D

justeleblanc

#22 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Not to get anyone's hopes up but Fox insinuated to me that they are working to include Kazan's Columbia titles in the forthcoming set.

HypnoHelioStaticStasis

#23 Post by HypnoHelioStaticStasis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Wouldn't that just be On the Waterfront? Or am I missing one?

Either way, I hope this set comes sooner rather than later... Wild River is in serious need of a resurrection!

justeleblanc

#24 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 pm

HypnoHelioStaticStasis wrote:Wouldn't that just be On the Waterfront? Or am I missing one?
You might be right, no titles or were stated so it may just be one title. They may figure it'll help boost sales.

kndy

#25 Post by kndy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Fortunately, Target is now carrying the Fox 75th Anniversary quad sets and have all of 1-18 (of course, no #10) for $9.99. But has anyone tried to redeem the code that is on the packaging to get their 75th Anniversary posters? I've tried and none of them have worked.