Fox Noir Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ashirg

#1 Post by Ashirg » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:53 pm

No, it's Henry Hathaway film.

Siodmak film is The Dark Mirror and it's Republic Pictures (currently Artisan/Lions Gate, soon to be by Paramount)

The Lodger is more likely the 1944 John Brahm version for Fox with Laird Cregar than it is the Hitchcock (though that would make a nice "extra"). Especially since it's owned by Fox and they will also release Hangover Square.

Looks like Laura took place of House of Bamboo - link here

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:01 pm

Could they play musical chairs with this batch of releases any more?

For the slow-witted among us (chiefly me), the titles now expected on March 15 are Laura, Panic in the Streets, and Call Northside 777.

No House of Bamboo or Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte for now (though those are the only two I really wanted).

htdm

#3 Post by htdm » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:58 am

Me too!!! I hope House of Bamboo doesn't just "disappear" from the line-up now!
Would it be too much to hope for a double feature with House of Bamboo and Crimson Kimono? (or even China Gate just to keep the Asian theme going?)

DrewReiber

#4 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:55 am

dmkb wrote:Me too!!! I hope House of Bamboo doesn't just "disappear" from the line-up now!
Would it be too much to hope for a double feature with House of Bamboo and Crimson Kimono? (or even China Gate just to keep the Asian theme going?)
Me three! And yes, it would be too much to hope. Sony (Columbia/Tri-Star) owns the Crimson Komono. Hey, anyone know which studio owns Verboten!, Warner or Sony?

Ashirg

#5 Post by Ashirg » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:21 am

Here's the cover for Laura and others. House of Bamboo may be coming in March after all.

alandau

#6 Post by alandau » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:37 am

these really are at the level of Warners/Criterion if more spartan on extras (and commensurately cheaper.)
Compare the extras on Laura and Criterion's Thieves' Highway. Are Fox really more spartan on extras?

Gregory

#7 Post by Gregory » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:22 am

FYI, here's the quote in question from the Laura insert:
"Though Laura is generally considered one of the more atmospheric of noir films, Director/Producer Otto Preminger believed every film had to be approached differently and to him, the best films were all about realism. As a result, he didn't indulge in camera gimmicks or fancy angles or have a particular style."

A very poorly written bit of insert filler, but I think it remains true that Preminger did (intentionally) seem to many an impersonal filmmaker and that his filmmaking style varied quite a lot across his career. For example, flixyflox mentioned his use of rapid montage in Laura, but in many of his other films he used a lot of long takes.

Kudzu

#8 Post by Kudzu » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:52 pm

According to Amazon, House of Bamboo has been pushed back to June 7.

cafeman

#9 Post by cafeman » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:59 am

Ashirg wrote:I was surprised to see at Mondo Digital Upcoming Releases that Kiss of Death(1947) is going to be released by Anchor Bay and not as part of Fox Noir Collection.
According to my Laura insert, Kiss of Death is coming in the second wave of Fox Noir.

Ashirg

#10 Post by Ashirg » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:36 pm

According to Amazon, Kiss of Death is going to be released in October by Anchor Bay.... But according to DVD Times, there's a cover of Kiss of Death as part of Fox Film Noir... I won't trust anyone and will wait for official announcement.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56448

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:19 pm

Ashirg wrote:According to Amazon, Kiss of Death is going to be released in October by Anchor Bay.... But according to DVD Times, there's a cover of Kiss of Death as part of Fox Film Noir... I won't trust anyone and will wait for official announcement.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56448
Could one be a Region 2 release?

milk114

#12 Post by milk114 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:33 am

next wave this tuesday?

Ashirg

#13 Post by Ashirg » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:42 am

Yes. And Home Theater Forum posted info about next 2 waves (subject to change):
According to the insert in the recent selections of the FILM NOIR Collection (House of Bamboo), the following titles are the next 2 groups of titles.

SEPTEMBER:

THE HOUSE ON 92ND STREET
SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT
KISS OF DEATH*

*RELEASE DATE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

DECEMBER:

THE DARK CORNER
NO WAY OUT
WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS

Note: KISS OF DEATH is now slated for a October release by Anchor Bay and NO WAY OUT is also being touted as a STUDIO COLLECTION title.

Jeff

#14 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:45 pm

Specs for wave 3 from DVD Times:
Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three titles as part of Film Noir Wave 3 due on 6th September 2005. Priced at $14.98 SRP each are...

House on 92nd Street
A stentorian narrator tells us that the USA was flooded with Nazi spies in 1939-41. One such tries to recruit college grad Bill Dietrich, who becomes a double agent for the FBI. While Bill trains in Hamburg, a street-accident victim proves to have been spying on atom-bomb secrets; conveniently, Dietrich is assigned to the New York spy ring stealing these secrets. Can he track down the mysterious "Christopher" before his ruthless associates unmask and kill him?

Features include:

* 1.33:1 Full Screen Presentation
* English Mono & Stereo
* Spanish Mono
* English and Spanish subtitles
* Commentary by Film Noir Historian Eddie Muller
* Original Press Booklet
* Photo Gallery
* Fox Noir: Somewhere in the Night, The Street with no Name, Where the Sidewalk Ends, & No Way Out

Somewhere in the Night
George Taylor returns from the WWII with amnesia. Back home in os Angeles, he tries to track down his old identity, stumbling into a 3-year old murder case and a hunt for a missing $2 million.

Features include:

* English Mono & Stereo
* Audio Commentary with Eddie Muller
* Theatrical Trailer
* Fox Noir: The Street with no Name, Where the Sidewalk Ends, & No Way Out

Whirlpool
The wife of a psycho-analyst falls prey to a devious quack hypnotist when he discovers she is an habitual shoplifter. Then one of his previous patients now being treated by the real doctor is found murdered, with her still at the scene, and suspicion points only one way.

Features include:

* English Mono & Stereo
* Audio Commentary by Richard Shickel
* Theatrical Trailer
* Fox Noir: Call Northside 777, Dark Corner, House of Bamboo, Laura, Nightmare Alley, Panic in the Streets, & A Street with no Name

cafeman

#15 Post by cafeman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:56 am

With the new wave coming out, I though I should *bump*

dx23

#16 Post by dx23 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:21 pm

More Fox film noir coming. From davisdvd.com:
Fox Film Noir
20th Century Fox has announced their latest batch of film noir classics. Due on December 6th are The Dark Corner, Kiss of Death and Where the Sidewalk Ends, each featuring restored fullscreen transfer and Dolby Digital Mono tracks. Extras will include commentary tracks with film noir historians Alain Silver and James Ursini (Kiss of Death, Where the Sidewalk Ends) and Eddie Muller (The Dark Corner), photo galleries and theatrical trailers. Retail is $14.98 each.

stroszeck

#17 Post by stroszeck » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, since it's one of my favorite movies and certainly one of the best noirs of the 1970s, does anyone have any info on whether there will be a re-release of FAREWELL, MY LOVELY? The cheapest copies are selling for $160 on Amazon. I think it's an Artisan title.

Cinesimilitude

#18 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:29 pm

this is a great set of films so far, which reminds me, I need to order whirlpool.

ka mai

#19 Post by ka mai » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm

Any thoughts on the fourth wave that is now on the streets? I picked up The Dark Corner today based on some things I have read, but would be curious to hear people's comments on Where the Sidewalk Ends and Kiss of Death. I am particularly interested to hear any comments on how "noir" these films are or aren't. The glut of cheap, quality releases on the market has really sparked my interest in film noir, but I know several films that are coming out in noir series don't really fall under the "noir" classification in the strictest sense.

cafeman

#20 Post by cafeman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:18 pm

"noir" classification is at this point subjective at best. Suffices to say that all these are generally accepted as having certain noir qualities.

That said, I have the first two waves and the more proper title would be "Fox Docu-Noir Collection" seeing as how Call Northside 777, The Street with No Name, Panic in the Streets, and to a certain extent House of Bamboo all fall under that, least interesing of all, noir subsections called Docu-Noir.

But, I`ll take what they give me, and ask for more.

Ashirg

#21 Post by Ashirg » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:04 pm

3 more titles are coming on March 7 - Fallen Angel, The House on Telegraph Hill and No Way Out

HerrSchreck

#22 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:06 am

ka mai wrote:Any thoughts on the fourth wave that is now on the streets? I picked up The Dark Corner today based on some things I have read, but would be curious to hear people's comments on Where the Sidewalk Ends and Kiss of Death. I am particularly interested to hear any comments on how "noir" these films are or aren't. The glut of cheap, quality releases on the market has really sparked my interest in film noir, but I know several films that are coming out in noir series don't really fall under the "noir" classification in the strictest sense.
Do NOT fail to pick up a copy of KISS OF DEATH. It would fall under the ex-post facto appellation "DOCU-NOIR", out of which I would say it is one of the finest examples. I have a better appellation for it-- crisp, tight, masculine superior example of the singular style (the vastly underrated) Henry Hathaway carved for himself. Part melodrama, infused in spots with the noirish elements of expressionistic exaggeration (which flows far more heavily in, for example, the Mann/Alton collaborations, the Dassin of BRUTE FORCE or his last Fox productions)... not as overtly stylized in snappy Chandleresque dialog or femme fatales a la OUT OF THE PAST,

KISS OF DEATH is the crystalization of the style Hathaway began in THE HOUSE ON 92nd STREET. Hardboiled, joyless story, a grim melodrama at core, constructed so skillfully under the extremely difficult (in every technical department) demands of ALL location shooting of a true story shot in all the actual places. Absolutely impeccable cinematography, a beautifully bleak performance of hardboiled depression by Vic Mature, the very real atmosphere of the authentic locations of Old New York, tightly & skillfully wound & threaded seamlessly. Think Dassin's NAKED CITY (which this film was in crosstalk with) without the lightness & humor, self-referential relentless consciousness of it's all-location shooting, and with cinematography that makes more consistent & obvious use of contrast & exaggerated geometry.

Do not miss KISS OF DEATH. Beautiful example of the true-story/on-location craze which swept the B crime dramas of the latter half of the 40's.

HerrSchreck

#23 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:37 am

davidhare wrote: surely Dassin's two masterpieces - Thieves Highway and Night and the City -...)
I agree with the exalted opinion of Dassin's two FOX entiries... but I think the earlier BRUTE FORCE and the latterly RIFIFI are two true "masterpieces", which transcend the two aforementioned earthbound entries, which are "excellent". NIGHT AND THE CITY has continuity/story issues, and HIGHWAY takes a little time to ramp up from 'well-photographed and entertaining" to "seething, hard-hitting nightmare"... to ultimately, of course, be doo-dooed on by Daryl, with the happy skippy Holy Whore Cleansed Of All Sins ending.

That's just my opinion. Fucking BRUTE FORCE is an atomic nightmare on wheels-- have you seen it? And RIFIFI... nuff said. Sublime stuff, etenal, wondrous, holy, radiates golden light on shelf.

oldsheperd

#24 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:54 pm

I'm in the middle of this. I'd highly recommend this film just based on the beginning. The title sequence is remarkable, almost as good as Kiss Me Deadly's opening title sequence.

cafeman

#25 Post by cafeman » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:11 pm

What kind of a person stops in the middle of a noir masterpiece to post on an internet forum? Shoo, go to the tv!

Besides, are you talking about Kiss of Death or Rififi?