Blu-only Releases?

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
perkizitore

Re: Blu-only Releases?

#226 Post by perkizitore » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 am

Are you going to make your old DVD OOP now, in anticipation of the new release?

peerpee
not perpee

#227 Post by peerpee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:19 am

It will go OOP prior to the new release, yes.

merch

#228 Post by merch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm a little late to the thread, but just read through it all. I appreciate the heads up and keeping buyers posted. If you could definitively say that, going forward, all titles would be Blu-ray OR DVD, I would be more inclined to buy a few DVDs here and there. As it is, my MoC and Criterion purchasing is limited to BD-only (I have all of them put out by each company). I wish Criterion would be as forthcoming, because I'm falling behind on releases that are DVD-only, since I'm afraid of an eventual double-dip on Blu-ray.

I would also like to say that, if the marketplace and/or your customer base ever get to the point that it makes financial sense to leave DVD behind entirely, I would prefer to have ANY release in BD. Whether the restoration allows for a pristine presentation or not, I'd prefer to have the best release possible. As long as it's a film, it should benefit from an increased resolution and bitrate.

Also, as an OCD collector, I'd like to thank you for restarting the spine numbers for BD. Criterion really dropped the ball on that one.

peerpee
not perpee

#229 Post by peerpee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Good to know there are other folk as OCD as we are! -- It's also good to hear support for the Blu-ray move. The last ten or so complaints about it, have been from people who think this is some new-fangled VHS vs Betamax con, and they go on to admit to not having even seen a Blu-ray.

aox

#230 Post by aox » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 pm

merch wrote: I'd like to thank you for restarting the spine numbers for BD. Criterion really dropped the ball on that one.
Yeah, I'm still not sure how I feel about that. The (inevitable) loss of rights to certain films has certainly made me start leaning your way.

zedz

#231 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Just playing Devil's advocate here: if you're truly OCD, wouldn't the introduction of separate numbering systems mean that you'd have to double-dip pointlessly on all the titles that come out on both formats? i.e. to remain safely complete in parallel you'd need to buy both BD Spine #1 Bottle Rocket and DVD Spine #450 Bottle Rocket. In which case, I would have thought that Criterion's solution would have been a relief for the afflicted. But maybe I don't understand how all this really works!

peerpee
not perpee

#232 Post by peerpee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 pm

No - a truly OCD person would naturally dismiss DVD altogether. Inferior format.

tajmahal

#233 Post by tajmahal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 pm

peerpee wrote:No - a truly OCD person would naturally dismiss DVD altogether. Inferior format.
You say that now, Nick, but there's always tomorrow. :wink:

peerpee
not perpee

#234 Post by peerpee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

*in the case of there being an alternative* !! -- as in the example I was referring to! arrrgh

aox

#235 Post by aox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:23 am

wait, would a non-OCD person argue that DVD is a superior format to Blu-Ray? We just call them 'stupid' where I am from.

Morbii

#236 Post by Morbii » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:41 am

peerpee wrote:No - a truly OCD person would naturally dismiss DVD altogether. Inferior format.
Only if that person's OCD gave them a predilection for format superiority.

PEOPLE WITH OCD EXIST, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE LIGHT.

peerpee
not perpee

#237 Post by peerpee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 am

YOU PROJECTED THE LIGHT

Tommaso

#238 Post by Tommaso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:20 am

peerpee wrote:It's also good to hear support for the Blu-ray move. The last ten or so complaints about it, have been from people who think this is some new-fangled VHS vs Betamax con, and they go on to admit to not having even seen a Blu-ray.
I don't know who made the last ten complaints, but I think it's not quite a fair way of summarizing the opinions of those who are not entirely happy about the blu-ray move, at least as far as this thread is concerned. But perhaps you have other people in mind.

merch

#239 Post by merch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

zedz wrote:Just playing Devil's advocate here: if you're truly OCD, wouldn't the introduction of separate numbering systems mean that you'd have to double-dip pointlessly on all the titles that come out on both formats? i.e. to remain safely complete in parallel you'd need to buy both BD Spine #1 Bottle Rocket and DVD Spine #450 Bottle Rocket. In which case, I would have thought that Criterion's solution would have been a relief for the afflicted. But maybe I don't understand how all this really works!
Truly OCD, I am not. I sure feel like it with my movie/music collection. I have thought about that and what would happen when I get to the point where I've caught up on all the back catalogue of Criterion DVDs (I have around 300 spine #s) and my DVD collection is only missing the one's I've bought on BD, but either way they're going to be missing. I don't know if Criterion thought that people would just be sliding their BDs into their shelf in the row of DVDs or what, but I don't know anyone who doesn't keep the two formats separate.

Either choice has its pitfalls for collectors, but I guess I just think that, unless my level of disposable income doubles at some point, I'll never catch up on their DVDs, so it would've been nice to have a complete set of BDs (which I will have from MoC). Plus, I really can't be bothered with DVD much anymore. I have a very high end DVD player, but I'm just disappointed every time I put one on now. Blu-ray has spoiled it for me :)

Der Spieler

#240 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Tommaso wrote:
peerpee wrote:It's also good to hear support for the Blu-ray move. The last ten or so complaints about it, have been from people who think this is some new-fangled VHS vs Betamax con, and they go on to admit to not having even seen a Blu-ray.
I don't know who made the last ten complaints, but I think it's not quite a fair way of summarizing the opinions of those who are not entirely happy about the blu-ray move, at least as far as this thread is concerned. But perhaps you have other people in mind.
As far as I'm concerned, I think "City Girl" should have been released in both formats, given the total lack of availability on any format in region 2 world and the limited availability in North America in the very pricey Murnau/Borzage set. It's a pretty important movie and I think it's sad that people who haven't made the move to Blu yet don't get to own and enjoy it.

perkizitore

#241 Post by perkizitore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 pm

I mix DVDs and blu-rays regarding Criterion, with MoC i don't have too. If you don't like your DVD cases, you can replace them all with the Scanbox ones.

TMDaines

#242 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Der Spieler wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I think "City Girl" should have been released in both formats, given the total lack of availability on any format in region 2 world and the limited availability in North America in the very pricey Murnau/Borzage set. It's a pretty important movie and I think it's sad that people who haven't made the move to Blu yet don't get to own and enjoy it.
I wasn't aware MoC existed as a public service provider. :roll:

zedz

#243 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:19 pm

merch wrote:Truly OCD, I am not. I sure feel like it with my movie/music collection. I have thought about that and what would happen when I get to the point where I've caught up on all the back catalogue of Criterion DVDs (I have around 300 spine #s) and my DVD collection is only missing the one's I've bought on BD, but either way they're going to be missing. I don't know if Criterion thought that people would just be sliding their BDs into their shelf in the row of DVDs or what, but I don't know anyone who doesn't keep the two formats separate.
I think I get it now. If you're keeping your DVDs and BluRays stored separately (which I guess is the OCD thing to do) that 'complete' Criterion BluRay collection of yours with spine numbers all over the place must be driving you nuts! Mine are all jumbled up together (but in numerical order - which I thought made me a little OCD).

TheGodfather

#244 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Excuse my ignorance but what does OCD stand for? :oops:

CSM126

#245 Post by CSM126 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The condition everyone thinks they have and very few of them actually do.

Tommaso

#246 Post by Tommaso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I admit I didn't know it either.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#247 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Obsessively Categorizing DVDs

TheGodfather

#248 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Ok thanks!
swo17 wrote:Obsessively Categorizing DVDs
Now that I do have ;)

merch

#249 Post by merch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:41 pm

CSM126 wrote:Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The condition everyone thinks they have and very few of them actually do.
Actually having OCD is not that common, sure, but having obsessive and/or compulsive tendencies is a whole other thing (which I have in spades).

triodelover

#250 Post by triodelover » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 pm

CSM126 wrote:Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The condition everyone thinks they have and very few of them actually do.
Often confused with anal-retentitveness. An example is the guy over on the Blu-ray.com Forum arguing that the Studio Canal Collection can't be a collection because there are no spine numbers. :-k