Éric Rohmer (1920-2010)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Ted Todorov

Re: Eric Rohmer 1920-2010

#101 Post by Ted Todorov » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Has Criterion said anything recently about more Rohmer in the CC? There are a number of films that never received a R1 DVD (and IMO, all of Rohmer's films are CC worthy), and of course anything with a Pox-Lorber DVD is in urgent need of a redo...

I do have all the French and UK DVDs, but there is massive room for improvement in terms of extras even there.

Dazza

#102 Post by Dazza » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:50 pm

ezmbmh wrote:A film I don’t hear mentioned much is The Aviator’s Wife which has Marie Riviere in a wonderful role, about the uncanny way meaning drifts into our lives sometimes.
Would agree - I own all of Rohmer's features on DVD, and Aviator is perhaps my favourite
NilbogSavant wrote:Not to mention the charming Philippe Marlaud from Pialat's Passe ton bac d'abord who would tragically die a month after the Rohmer film was released.
Indeed. A really great performance. Just a couple of years later -- and with similarly terrible luck -- Pascale Ogier would also die not long after giving an equally terrific performace in Les Nuits de la pleine lune (another one of my favourite Rohmer films.)

Rest in peace :(

ellipsis7

#103 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Ted Todorov wrote:Has Criterion said anything recently about more Rohmer in the CC? There are a number of films that never received a R1 DVD (and IMO, all of Rohmer's films are CC worthy), and of course anything with a Pox-Lorber DVD is in urgent need of a redo...

I do have all the French and UK DVDs, but there is massive room for improvement in terms of extras even there.
I think I asked them a couple of years back - CC said no plans for more Rohmer as of then...

Mr Sheldrake

#104 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Rohmer has been one of my top favorites since I first saw My Night at Maud's in NYC on it's initial release some 40! years ago. I've always pondered why I find his films so re-watchable given that 'nothing happens'. And the link to Hitchcock, they seem to be so different. But I think there is suspense in Rohmer as he so brilliantly describes that time in life, mostly when we are young, when we decide what we are going to do with our life, and who we are going to love. There may be nothing more suspenseful than that.

I watched Boyfriends and Girlfriends last night ( I placed it #1 in my 80's list, and despaired as no one else even mentioned it) and clapped and laughed as I always do at it's glorious ending, a brief moment when all the stars aligned, and a great artist helps you feel the mysterious joy of being alive.
Last edited by Mr Sheldrake on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artfilmfan

#105 Post by artfilmfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Very sad news! Mr. Rohmer's films have given me much pleasure over the years. R.I.P.

Of the seventeen of his films that I've seen, I like them all. The more favorite ones are "Pauline at the Beach" (watched this again just 10 days ago), "A Summer's Tale", "My Night at Maud's", "Suzanne's Career" and "A Tale of Winter".

(BTW, did anyone elso notice that Maurice Pialat passed away on the same day (January 11) seven years ago?)

ellipsis7

#106 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:01 am

Gilbert Adair on ER's dialogue in Guardian G2...

BTW usefully Rohmer's scripts/stories for his film series SIX CONTES MOREAUX (the English translation is in the CC SIX MORAL TALES set), COMEDIES ET PROVERBES (2 vols), CONTES DES QUATRE SAISONS, and singly TRIPLE AGENT are all published in the Cahiers du Cinema Petite Bibliotheque series...

Dr. Strangelove

#107 Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 am

Nearly all films of Rohmer are available on DVD, but one film still seems to be non-existent: Rohmers short film "Le canapé rouge" from 2005. Does anybody know something about that film?

jbeall

#108 Post by jbeall » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Didn't see this posted here yet...

An Appraisal of Eric Rohmer by A.O. Scott

Cash Flagg

#109 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

For all you aspiring film critics:
Open Call for Contributions to Eric Rohmer Special

To commemorate the passing of Eric Rohmer Senses of Cinema will publish a special dossier devoted to his films and career in its next edition. Contributions can take various forms: articles, short essays, personal impressions, or love-letters dedicated to his cinema. A given submission can range across Rohmer’s entire oeuvre, or focus on a given series of films such as the Six Moral Tales, Comedies and Proverbs, Tales of Four Seasons; or, his television documentaries; or, an individual film, sequence, scene, image, character, line of dialogue; or, his film criticism.

Articles should be 2000-3000 words; short essays 1000 words; personal reflections 500 words. All titles must be rendered in their French original followed by the English title and date in brackets. Please include a one-line author bio (no links). Entries will be accepted no later than February 26th. Send to editor@sensesofcinema. Please note that while every attempt will be made to publish all entries received, the final selection remains at the discretion of the editors.

Antlion

#110 Post by Antlion » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Has anyone bought the Spanish release of "Vampyr" from Versus Entertainment (link)? It includes Rohmer's rare documentary on Dreyer from "Cinéastes de notre temps" (1964):

Jean-Luc Garbo

#111 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:For all you aspiring film critics:
Open Call for Contributions to Eric Rohmer Special

To commemorate the passing of Eric Rohmer Senses of Cinema will publish a special dossier devoted to his films and career in its next edition. Contributions can take various forms: articles, short essays, personal impressions, or love-letters dedicated to his cinema. A given submission can range across Rohmer’s entire oeuvre, or focus on a given series of films such as the Six Moral Tales, Comedies and Proverbs, Tales of Four Seasons; or, his television documentaries; or, an individual film, sequence, scene, image, character, line of dialogue; or, his film criticism.

Articles should be 2000-3000 words; short essays 1000 words; personal reflections 500 words. All titles must be rendered in their French original followed by the English title and date in brackets. Please include a one-line author bio (no links). Entries will be accepted no later than February 26th. Send to editor@sensesofcinema. Please note that while every attempt will be made to publish all entries received, the final selection remains at the discretion of the editors.
Where was this on their website?

Ovader

#112 Post by Ovader » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Where was this on their website?
It was only sent to people on the Senses of Cinema e-mail list.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#113 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:54 pm

Ovader wrote:It was only sent to people on the Senses of Cinema e-mail list.
Even writing 2 articles for Senses of Cinema never got ME on their mailing list. ;~{

ellipsis7

#114 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 pm

It's sent to their newsletter list, go to SoC homepage here and enter your details in the 'Newsletter Subscription' section, and voilà, you'll be on the e-mail list...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

:~O

#115 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Most of their email newsletters are just periodic backhand gossip about Michael Kerpan anyways

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: :~O

#116 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:42 am

domino harvey wrote:Most of their email newsletters are just periodic backhand gossip about Michael Kerpan anyways
Maybe I don't want to see this newsletter, then.

Bringing this closer to on-topic. I should finally get around to seeing Lady and the Duke tonight.

Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: :~O

#117 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote: Bringing this closer to on-topic. I should finally get around to seeing Lady and the Duke tonight.
It's a lovely film and a nice mix of its predecessors Perceval and Marquise von O.

Der Spieler

#118 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm in a Rohmer rampage these days, having rented Love in the Afternoon and Full Moon in Paris recently. I fell in love with them, especially the latter which spoke to me in a very personal way. I have just ordered the Arrow set last night and I can't wait for it to arrive!

accatone

#119 Post by accatone » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:06 pm

http://www.cinematheque.fr/fr/parlons-c ... ohmer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Through the JLG listserver. (Actually i wanted to post this in the JLG thread…but found it a little…errghh).

ellipsis7

#120 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:17 pm

That film 'Eric Rohmer: Preuves de l'appui' (in the series Cinema de Notre Temps) is out on MK2 DVD, very reasonable priced... Fascinating insight into his method, no Eng subs BTW...

ellipsis7

#122 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:40 am

Part of La Fabrique du Conte d'été is up on Youtube in 3 sections...

First section

Second section

Third section

The full film is on the educational edition of Conte d'été from Sceren/CNDP/CRDP in the Eden Cinema series here
Conte d'été

Ce DVD est composé du film d'Éric Rohmer, d'un bonus et d'un portfolio.

« Conte d'été » d'Éric Rohmer : « Gaspard est à Dinard où il attend Léna, qu'il a promis d'emmener à Ouessant. Mais Léna se fait attendre et Gaspard rencontre Margot qu'il promet d'emmener à Ouessant… ». La présence d'un film d'Éric Rohmer, incontestablement l'un des plus grands cinéastes français contemporains, s'impose dans la collection. Ce film, plus encore que d'autres du même auteur, est tout à fait séduisant pour des spectateurs jeunes. C'est un film de vacances, mettant en scène au bord de la mer, en Bretagne, les hésitations amoureuses d'un jeune homme épris de musique.

Le bonus « La Fabrique du Conte d'été », de Françoise Etchegaray et Jean-André Fieschi : Françoise Etchegaray, assistante de longue date d'Éric Rohmer, a suivi pas à pas la conception et la réalisation du film « Conte d'été ». On y comprend en profondeur ce que c'est pour un cinéaste que de vivre pendant quelques semaines le quotidien d'un tournage (les relations aux autres : acteurs, techniciens) et de faire plusieurs fois par jour les multiples choix qui constituent la mise en scène. La leçon de cinéma que représente ce film inédit est d'autant plus exemplaire que « Conte d'été » est tourné en toute simplicité, avec des moyens modestes, finalement pas si éloignés de ceux d'un film réalisé en situation pédagogique.

Le DVD se termine par un portfolio de 9 peintures et 21 photographies (photos de tournages et de films).

Auteur(s) : Etchegaray Françoise, Fieschi Jean-André, Goupil Catherine, Rohmer Eric
Discipline(s) : cinéma et audiovisuel, éducation artistique et culturelle
Niveau(x) : collège, lycée, lycée
Thésaurus Motbis : cinéma / courant cinématographique / création cinématographique / film / oeuvre cinématographique / photographie / Rohmer, Eric : 1920- / tournage : cinéma
ISBN : 2-240-02526-3
Description : Toutes zones
Éditeur(s) : Paris : CNDP, 2006
Label National

ellipsis7

#123 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 am

Nice piece in the latest Senses of Cinema on Three Documentaries about Eric Rohmer, part of the whole issue of SoS dedicated mainly to Rohmer, 16 ER articles in all... Outstanding!

GaryC

#124 Post by GaryC » Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 am

For those in London there are two Rohmer retrospectives going on May.

The Barbican is featuring him in this month's "directorspective", by showing the first five of the six Comedies and Proverbs:

2 May, 2pm: The Aviator's Wife
8 May, 4.15pm: A Good Marriage
15 May, 4.15pm: Pauline at the Beach
16 May, 4.15pm: Full Moon in Paris
29 May, 4.15pm: The Green Ray

Meanwhile, the French institute is showing some of Rohmer's 90s work:

8 May, 6pm: The Lady and the Duke
14 May, 8.40pm: A Tale of Springtime
15 May, 6pm: A Summer's Tale
16 May, 8.40pm & 18 May, 6.15pm: Autumn Tale
18 May, 8.40pm: A Winter's Tale
19 May, 8.40pm & 20 May, 8.30pm: The Romance of Astrea and Céladon

In addition, they are showing the feature-length documentary Eric Rohmer, preuves à l'appui (an interview by Jean Douchet, from the French TV series Cinéma de notre temps). This is showing on 12 May at 6.05pm, 14 May at 3pm and 19 May at 6.05pm.

I'm not sure which, if any, I will be going to. The only one I haven't seen is the documentary, and the showtimes aren't convenient, as I would have to travel up to London after work. I've seen all the others before, all of them except A Good Marriage and Pauline at the Beach in 35mm.

tavernier

#125 Post by tavernier » Mon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Two weeks of Rohmer films at the Film Society of Lincoln Center, August 18-September 3.

On the schedule:
La Collectioneuse
My Night at Maud’s
Claire’s Knee
Chloe in the Afternoon
The Marquise of O
Perceval Le Gallois
The Aviator’s Wife
Le Beau Mariage
Pauline at the Beach
Full Moon in Paris
Summer (Le Rayon Vert)