Silent Film Screenings

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Mr Sausage

Re: Silent Film Screenings

#26 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Well the run time depends at what speed the film is being projected. That 58 minute version is probably not cut, just projected at 24 fps instead of whatever speed Caligari was originally shot at (15 or 17 or something close).

zedz

#27 Post by zedz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 pm

This sounds right, but it would mean that Caligari was shot at 18fps.

The old formula I recall was that you get running times by dividing total feet in 35mm by 90 (for 24fps) and 60 (for 16 fps). The magic number for 18 fps would thus be 67, so 78 minutes (at 18 fps) x 67 = 5226 ft. Divide that by 90 (for 24 fps misprojection) and you get 58 minutes (and a badly compromised viewing experience).

This post was brought to you by the letters S, W and O and the number 17.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:39 pm

That math checks out. Though in the future, please show all work to three significant digits. O:)

TMDaines

#29 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 am

I'm guessing the live musical accompaniment will be "high-tempo" or something to match?

Jeff

#30 Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 am

zedz wrote:This sounds right, but it would mean that Caligari was shot at 18fps.
It was indeed -- or at least as close as you can get to 18 considering the camera was cranked by hand.
zedz wrote:This post was brought to you by the letters S, W and O and the number 17.
=D>

zedz

#31 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 pm

TMDaines wrote:I'm guessing the live musical accompaniment will be "high-tempo" or something to match?
'Yakety Sax' on a loop.

nsps

#33 Post by nsps » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:12 am

Yay! When I was in LA last month, I was very bummed that it was essentially Cinefamily's break month. Who is doing the accompaniment there now?

(Ironically, I live in Salt Lake City, where this thread started, but haven't been to the Organ Loft for years because I can't abide the DVD projection.)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#34 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 am

nsps wrote:
Yay! When I was in LA last month, I was very bummed that it was essentially Cinefamily's break month. Who is doing the accompaniment there now?

(Ironically, I live in Salt Lake City, where this thread started, but haven't been to the Organ Loft for years because I can't abide the DVD projection.)
I'm not sure what the accompaniment is. I was wondering the same thing seeing as I'm definitely seeing "The Patsy" and Tod Browning's "The Mystic" next month. They just annouced they got a new motor for their projector to display films at 18fps.

Despite my dislike of certain groups of people who go there and certain people who work there, it's the only place in Los Angeles that bothers playing interesting films. The American Cinematheque ends up just playing The Godfather, Playtime and 2001: A Space Odyssey over and over again in 70mm. It's great the first time, but after a while it get's tiring.

LQ

#35 Post by LQ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Almost too short of notice for me to even bother posting, but just in case there are any other forum members located in the Philadelphia/Southern PA region:
The Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville is screening Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914) today at 5 p.m. with live organ accompaniment.

Adam

#36 Post by Adam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
nsps wrote:

I'm not sure what the accompaniment is. I was wondering the same thing seeing as I'm definitely seeing "The Patsy" and Tod Browning's "The Mystic" next month. They just annouced they got a new motor for their projector to display films at 18fps.

Despite my dislike of certain groups of people who go there and certain people who work there, it's the only place in Los Angeles that bothers playing interesting films. The American Cinematheque ends up just playing The Godfather, Playtime and 2001: A Space Odyssey over and over again in 70mm. It's great the first time, but after a while it get's tiring.
I think I regularly screen interesting films at Los Angeles Filmforum.
http://www.lafilmforum.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LQ

#37 Post by LQ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:58 pm

At County Theatre of Doylestown PA, 4/26: The General with live piano accompaniment.

nsps

#38 Post by nsps » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Salt Lake City, UT: Pandora's Box at the Tower Theatre, on 35-mm with live accompaniment. 7:00.

perkizitore

#39 Post by perkizitore » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:37 pm

For those in London in April, the Philharmonia Orchestra presents a live screening of Waterloo featuring the UK premiere of Carl Davis' score at the Royal Festival Hall on the 22nd.
More info here

jlecates

#40 Post by jlecates » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:43 am

Marc Ribot (of John Zorn & Tom Waits fame) will be performing a live score to Chaplin's The Kid on Sept. 26, in Philadelphia.
More info.

LQ

#41 Post by LQ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:13 pm

This looks really interesting: Wynton Marsalis and a 10-piece jazz ensemble are touring with a 'modern silent', Louis, a fictionalized tale of Louis Armstrong's youth in New Orleans, for which they provide live accompaniment. Its making a 5-performance tour around the country starting with Chicago, tonight. Here's the trailer and an interview with the director.

martin

#42 Post by martin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 am

Cinemateket, Copenhagen, will be screening Alf Sjöberg's Den starkaste (1929) Wednesday 29 January with live piano music.

adavis53

#43 Post by adavis53 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 am

I know the schedule was already posted in the Film Forum thread, but the cinema will be showing all of the Hitchcock 9 throughout February and early March

Terri

#44 Post by Terri » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 pm

The Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, Massachusetts will screen The Mark of Zorro (1920) with what they describe as a "flamenco-tango-salsa-mariachi-jazz score" performed live by the Not So Silent Orchestra on Tuesday, April 22nd at 7PM. Details here.

FrauBlucher

#45 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:21 am

Eureka tweeted this....
Eureka Entertainment‏@Eurekavideo·11 mins
We can announce that the UK theatrical release of the definitive 2014 restoration of DAS CABINET DES DR. CALIGARI will be on 29 Aug 2014
DAS CABINET DES DR CALIGARI will open at the @BFI for 2 weeks and screen in other selected cinemas (TBA) nationwide around the UK and Eire.

admira

#46 Post by admira » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:21 am

Milenky starého kriminálníka (An Old Gangster's Molls), 1927, dir. Svatopluk Innemann

http://www.kviff.com/en/films/film-deta ... ers-molls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kidc85

#47 Post by kidc85 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:22 pm

I don't know how many Londoners already know about this, but there are regular (every three weeks) screenings of silent films at the Cinema Museum in Kennington. The room isn't particularly cinema-like but they only ask for a £3 donation, they screen stuff that's genuinely off the beaten track, generally double bills, and all with live accompaniment and an introduction. I've only been once and they showed a double bill of EC Kenton's BARE KNEES and a delirious melodrama called THE EMPTY CRADLE that's unavailable on DVD (less than 5 votes on IMDb to boot), which their projectionist had to personally repair as the sprocket holes were out of whack. I wouldn't necessarily rave about either of them (although they both had significant charms) but it's so invigorating to have a place that regularly screens silent films that aren't just the usual suspects of Chaplin, Keaton, Lang and Murnau.

April 1st brings a film called SANGUE BLEU (there will probably be another film as well, announced closer to the time). Kennington Bioscope.