Mizoguchi Kenji on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Mizoguchi Kenji on DVD

#1 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon May 09, 2005 10:46 am

First Japanese Mizoguchi DVD

It looks like the first Mizoguchi DVD from Japan is finally being
released -- and the pick is a rare one -- The Straits of Love and Hate.

Due out at the end of June. No English subs, I'm sure. I hope this is a harbinger of a wider release of Mizoguchi DVDs.

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Mon May 09, 2005 11:47 am

First Japanese Mizoguchi DVD
I hope too that's a sign of more on the way hopefully with english subs.

Went a little window-shopping and found two korean Mizoguchi boxsets with - you guessed it - korean subs only. 8 films in total. Guess I might go with the spanish boxes after all.

edit: found one more - Lady of Musashino, with english subs and considerably cheaper than the AE one:

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon May 09, 2005 12:37 pm

Lino wrote:Guess I might go with the spanish boxes after all.
I'm still debating whether to get the 3 Spanish DVDs of films not included in the French sets.

Keeping fingers crossed for more.

MEK

Steven H

#4 Post by Steven H » Tue May 10, 2005 12:52 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:I'm still debating whether to get the 3 Spanish DVDs of films not included in the French sets.
I want to at least pick up the spanish Story of the Last Chyrsanthemum (though I can probably assume it won't look too good). Very exciting news about the '37 Mizoguchi. I hope this is an indicator that more are on the way; Or, it might have more to do with author Matsutarou Kawaguchi (who, I assume, wrote the book/play? the film is based on) since this is the fourth DVD release this year that are based on his works, where previously there were none. I'm crossing my fingers it's the former reason and the latter is just a coincidence.

Another R2 Japan Mizoguchi DVD has appeared on cdjapan.co.jp, a "digitally remastered" version of Madame Yuki (Yuki fujin ezu, 1950). No subtitles listed.

Steven H

Ugetsu Monogatari, R6 PAL

#5 Post by Steven H » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:46 am

Here you go. English subtitles at $6. I probably have enough quarters in my car (under the seat or possibly in the ashtray) for a purchase. I guess Criterion is still working on this.

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:00 am

Best to wait for CC. It's coming...

amateurist

#7 Post by amateurist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:13 pm

I think this is a bootleg of the French DVD with added English subtitles. This is appearing on eBay along with likely-bootlegs of Miss Oyu, Sansho Dayu, etc. (other titles that are in the French box sets of Mizoguchi films).

godardslave

#8 Post by godardslave » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:34 am

peerpee wrote:Best to wait for CC. It's coming...
i wish someone could/would give us a date for it.

peerpee
not perpee

#9 Post by peerpee » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 am

godardslave wrote:
Really not long.

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:47 pm

peerpee wrote:
godardslave wrote:
Really not long.
Hey. let's forget about asking Jon Mulvaney and just grill peerpee!

unclehulot

#11 Post by unclehulot » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:57 pm

zedz wrote: and just grill peerpee!
like grill on the barbie?? Isn't that a bit extreme?

Steven H

#12 Post by Steven H » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:48 pm

amateurist wrote:
I think this is a bootleg of the French DVD with added English subtitles. This is appearing on eBay along with likely-bootlegs of Miss Oyu, Sansho Dayu, etc. (other titles that are in the French box sets of Mizoguchi films).
DVD Beaver review here.

Bootleg plain as day. What bothers me is that if they could take the French PAL transfer and just add subs to it, why the hell can't Panorama do the same with the NTSC Ozus? Transfering to DVD5s instead of DVD9s, with a bitrate loss, I guess. Craziness.

I'll hold off on this one (I'd rather pay $40 instead of $46 for Ugetsu this year), but if this company starts putting more of his films out, I'll throw a couple bucks their way for the trouble.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#13 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:25 pm

flixyflox wrote:May be plain as day but I assure you the French disc is very handsome (and the print is better quality than the Criterion Laserdisc.)
The fact that the French DVD maker could come up with such good transfers for a budget release really makes me wonder why Criterion is dragging its heels. I'm just glad that I studied French long ago....

MEK

Narshty

#14 Post by Narshty » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:The fact that the French DVD maker could come up with such good transfers for a budget release really makes me wonder why Criterion is dragging its heels.
The extras, man, the extras. It's Peter Becker's pet project, after all.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#15 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:45 pm

Narshty wrote:The extras, man, the extras. It's Peter Becker's pet project, after all.
To tell the truth, I think Mizoguchi's best work can (and should) stand on its own. Extras are nice -- but ... just extras.

All the same, I can see why Criterion might want a deluxe package for _Ugetsu_ . Nevertheless, some of the other films (like Street of Shame) could be released with less ado...

kieslowski_67

#16 Post by kieslowski_67 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:13 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:To tell the truth, I think Mizoguchi's best work can (and should) stand on its own. Extras are nice -- but ... just extras.

All the same, I can see why Criterion might want a deluxe package for _Ugetsu_ . Nevertheless, some of the other films (like Street of Shame) could be released with less ado...
I second that. Loads of special fetures cannot turn a bad movie into a decent one. The Boying release uses the French release as source material and the Chinese and English subtitles came from the previous Paranoma VCD release.
Michael Kerpan wrote:
flixyflox wrote:May be plain as day but I assure you the French disc is very handsome (and the print is better quality than the Criterion Laserdisc.)
The fact that the French DVD maker could come up with such good transfers for a budget release really makes me wonder why Criterion is dragging its heels. I'm just glad that I studied French long ago....
Maybe because Criterion is worried that Mizoguchi DVDs won't generate as much revenues as those from the likes of, say, Suzuki? Sex and violence rules and Criterion is not immune.

godardslave

#17 Post by godardslave » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:29 pm

kieslowski_67 wrote:Maybe because Criterion is worried that Mizoguchi DVDs won't generate as much revenues as those from the likes of, say, Suzuki? Sex and violence rules and Criterion is not immune.
it could be taking longer if they are putting together as part of a Mizoguchi box set. [-o<

kieslowski_67

#18 Post by kieslowski_67 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:04 pm

godardslave wrote:it could be taking longer if they are putting together as part of a Mizoguchi box set. [-o<
In your dream, baby. Criterion just announced that they are releasing a Mizoguchi box set in year 2046. =D>

godardslave

#19 Post by godardslave » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:47 pm

kieslowski_67 wrote:
godardslave wrote:it could be taking longer if they are putting together as part of a Mizoguchi box set. [-o<
In your dream, baby. Criterion just announced that they are releasing a Mizoguchi box set in year 2046. =D>
i'll start saving!

Don Lope de Aguirre

#20 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Steven H wrote: No subtitles listed.
This 'no subtitles' business is very, very irritating ](*,)

Are they stupid???

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#21 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:22 pm

Steven H wrote:Another R2 Japan Mizoguchi DVD has appeared on cdjapan.co.jp, a "digitally remastered" version of Madame Yuki (Yuki fujin ezu, 1950). No subtitles listed.
It looks like "Madam Yuki" is just one of a large batch of films that is being released by Kinokuniya. I haven;'t heard any quality reports about its first releases (which has included several boxes of Koji Wakamatsu stuff ("Shinjuku Mad," "Sex Jack," Angelic Orgasm", "Kyoso Joshi Ko", "Shojo Gebageba", "Hadaka no Judan").

fred

#22 Post by fred » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:It looks like "Madam Yuki" is just one of a large batch of films that is being released by Kinokuniya. I haven;'t heard any quality reports about its first releases (which has included several boxes of Koji Wakamatsu stuff ("Shinjuku Mad," "Sex Jack," Angelic Orgasm", "Kyoso Joshi Ko", "Shojo Gebageba", "Hadaka no Judan").
If the quality is anything like Kinokuniya's Straub-Huillet discs, they should be very very nice indeed. I have four of the Straub discs and they're all gorgeous. Some of the nicest looking DVDs I own.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#23 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:53 pm

fred wrote:If the quality is anything like Kinokuniya's Straub-Huillet discs, they should be very very nice indeed. I have four of the Straub discs and they're all gorgeous. Some of the nicest looking DVDs I own.
Nice to hear such an encouraging report (and welcome, fred).

hellboytr

#24 Post by hellboytr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:54 pm

fred wrote:If the quality is anything like Kinokuniya's Straub-Huillet discs, they should be very very nice indeed.
Agreed. I too have the Straub/Huillet DVDs along with some other DVDs from Kinokuniya, they are all excellent, Kinokuniya "is the best DVD company in the world" in my humble opinion.

Davidspector

Re: Mizoguchi Kenji on DVD

#25 Post by Davidspector » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:03 pm

I see where Madman in Oz has begun release of several Mizoguchis. I'm particularly interested in Loyal 47 Ronin and hoping against the odds that the transfer/source material is at least acceptable. The only Australian review website I seem able to locate is Michaels - which may or may not review at some point. Perhaps some of the Forum's Aussie correspondents have received word on this disc's quality? Thanks -