Le Combat dans l'île (Alain Cavalier, 1962)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
bearcuborg

Le Combat dans l'île (Alain Cavalier, 1962)

#1 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I just saw this in a fantastic print here at Philadelphia's International House theater. This film was unknown to me, and any info on it is hard to come by...neither of my New Wave books mentioned it. I expected something pretty amateur, but the story is a pretty tight thriller, insightful love triangle, and stylistically it's wonderfully photographed by Pierre Lhomme (Army of Shadows, Mother and the Whore, Sweet Movie). Romy Schneider is beautiful too.

Here's a IMDB link with little info.
and
A review of the R2 DVD on DVDBeaver.

It is not owned by Janus, and seems to be making the rounds. Check it out if you can.

zedz

Re: Le combat dans l'île (Alain Cavalier 1962)

#2 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Cavalier is a really interesting filmmaker, based on the few films of his I've been able to see. His recent work has tended to be intimate diary films (including Irene, at Cannes this year), so maybe an acquired taste. Cesar-scooper Therese is probably his best-known film: a lovely saint's life told in gorgeous tableaux that might bear the faint influence of Paradzhanov.

FerdinandGriffon

#3 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:38 pm

I've seen this on the R2; crummy transfer, but a very interesting little film. It's not lacking in melodrama, but Cavalier's direction has an analytical coldness to it that is abslutely fascinating. A film that at first seems blunt and stiff turns into a mesmerizingly rhythmic little thriller. And yes, Romy is charming.

souvenir

#4 Post by souvenir » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:11 pm

Worth noting that the print currently touring the States is from the Film Desk. They seem to own the DVD rights to some films that get screened (the Garrel movies) but not others (Monsieur Verdoux). I'd hope that Le combat dans l'île will see a DVD release soon.

Numero Trois

#5 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:06 pm

It's coming to DVD on June 22nd.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 am

Could someone explain this part of the IMDB description?
Louis Malle produced the film as a criticism of Jean-Luc Godard and other then-right wing nouvelle vague directors and their support for the French occupation of Algeria
That seems very un-Godard like.

doh286

#7 Post by doh286 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Cinematographer Pierre Lhomme will be present for a discussion at the Jan. 15 screening of this film at the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago.