Hou Hsiao-hsien

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Ishmael

Re: Hou Hsiao-hsien

#76 Post by Ishmael » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:36 pm

For those near DC, the Freer Gallery is showing A Summer at Grandpa's at 7:00 on June 26.

justeleblanc

#77 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Ishmael wrote:For those near DC, the Freer Gallery is showing A Summer at Grandpa's at 7:00 on June 26.
ZOMG!!!! I'm so there!

che-etienne

#78 Post by che-etienne » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Would someone who owns the highly expensive Shochiku set, be so kind as to post screen captures from GMGW, GBSGB, FLOWERS and CAFE LUMIERE? I'd be most grateful! Also, does anyone on this forum own the 3-disc Korean boxset produced by Taewon Entertainment? (http://www.yesasia.com/us/hou-hsiao-hsi ... /info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) What's the quality like on those discs?

tajmahal

#79 Post by tajmahal » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 pm

che-etienne wrote:Would someone who owns the highly expensive Shochiku set, be so kind as to post screen captures from GMGW, GBSGB, FLOWERS and CAFE LUMIERE? I'd be most grateful! Also, does anyone on this forum own the 3-disc Korean boxset produced by Taewon Entertainment? (http://www.yesasia.com/us/hou-hsiao-hsi ... /info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) What's the quality like on those discs?
I'm not sure about the quality, but keep in mind that Cafe Lumiere doesn't have English subs. You can pick it up cheaper here:

http://www.k2dvd.com/shop/p_detail.asp? ... rch&genre=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They charge postage by weight. I haven't used them, but I purchased several times form Dvdfromkorea, sadly now gone. Post from Korea was reliable.

StevenJ0001

#80 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 pm

A new print of A City of Sadness is playing at LACMA in September. Worth attending, both to see the print and to support this endangered film program, one of LA's most valuable institutions for film lovers.

"New twentieth-anniversary 35mm print courtesy of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, Los Angeles"

http://www.lacma.org/programs/FilmListi ... 0190203198

They also have a Hong Sang-soo fest coming up before that, for those interested.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#81 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Lucky you. I doubt that this print of City of Sadness will ever make it to Boston.

StevenJ0001

#82 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Lucky you. I doubt that this print of City of Sadness will ever make it to Boston.
I hope it does end up traveling. And maybe a decent DVD eventually, though that may be too much to hope for.

zedz

#83 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:02 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:And maybe a decent DVD eventually, though that may be too much to hope for.
I'm officially optimistic, since a couple of years ago the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office were supplying prints of the Edward Yang films which are soon (fingers crossed) coming out on DVD from Carlotta. If Criterion is ever going to tackle Hou, this is really the obvious starting point.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#84 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Someone also needs to do a DVD of (the ignored up to now) Girl of the Nile.

whaleallright

#85 Post by whaleallright » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:08 am

The Taiwan cultural office helped to fund the striking of a new print of CITY OF SADNESS for a screening at the University of Chicago's Doc Films earlier this year. Perhaps this is the same print?

By the way, I don't know if it's a problem of print generations, of the circumstances of shooting, of the original film stock, or something else, but despite this being one of the most spellbindingly beautiful films I know, the image quality of every print I've seen has not been up to the task of fully rendering Hou's chiaroscuro. The blacks always seem just a little too grainy, or splotchy, and in general the definition is lacking. If you compare a 35mm print of CITY OF SADNESS to one of FLOWERS OF SHANGHAI (or a print of BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY to one of YI YI, for that matter), I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

StevenJ0001

#86 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:38 pm

jonah.77 wrote:If you compare a 35mm print of CITY OF SADNESS to one of FLOWERS OF SHANGHAI (or a print of BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY to one of YI YI, for that matter), I think you'll see what I'm talking about.
I'll be interested to see what this new print of City looks like next month, but I saw a print of Flowers of Shanghai at LACMA a few years ago, and it was absolutely gorgeous! I've hesitated in getting a DVD of Flowers because I fear it will pale in comparison to the experience of seeing it in 35mm. I guess I'll seek out one eventually, though.

che-etienne

#87 Post by che-etienne » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 pm

I work at Doc Films so I can testify to the image and sound quality of the new print being superb. Beautiful blacks. There was one major problem with the print however: recurrent and, for the majority of the reels, nearly constant frame jitter. That is to say the frame would shift minutely, but quite noticeably, in vertical orientation. This had to have been a lab error. It was nauseating. We informed LACMA, which is why I think they have held off showing the film until September. Of course, Era Hong Kong who owns the rights and has the negatives was also informed, and hopefully they've made a new print without this problem. Hope this information is useful to folks planning to see it at LACMA.

StevenJ0001

#88 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 pm

che-etienne wrote:I work at Doc Films so I can testify to the image and sound quality of the new print being superb. Beautiful blacks. There was one major problem with the print however: recurrent and, for the majority of the reels, nearly constant frame jitter. That is to say the frame would shift minutely, but quite noticeably, in vertical orientation. This had to have been a lab error. It was nauseating. We informed LACMA, which is why I think they have held off showing the film until September. Of course, Era Hong Kong who owns the rights and has the negatives was also informed, and hopefully they've made a new print without this problem. Hope this information is useful to folks planning to see it at LACMA.
Good information, thanks very much!

Shrew
The Untamed One

#89 Post by Shrew » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Apparently a new print of City of Sadness is playing at the Cleveland Cinematheque October 8 and 11. I'm assuming it's the same one. So yes, it is touring- and if it's going to Cleveland it must be coming to other places too.

Unfortunately I'll be out of the country then. Boo.

Doug Cummings

#90 Post by Doug Cummings » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:43 pm

LACMA's print is a brand new one. It was struck at their request in accordance with Bernardo Rondeau's lengthy negotiations with Era Hong Kong; it was funded by the Taipei Economic Cultural Office. It is not the Doc Films print, which among other differences includes both English and Chinese subtitles. LACMA's print only has English subtitles, and here are its preliminary tour dates:

Los Angeles, CA
LACMA
September 26, 2009

Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Institute of Art Cinematheque
October 8-11, 2009

Huntington, NY
Cinema Arts
October 20, 2009

Brooklyn, NY
BAMcinématek
November 1, 2009

San Francisco, CA
Yerba Buena Arts Center
November 5-8, 2009

Toronto, ON
Cinematheque Ontario
November 19-24, 2009

Columbus, OH
Wexner
December 11-12, 2009

Vancouver, BC
Pacific Cinematheque
December 17-21, 2009

Doug Cummings

#91 Post by Doug Cummings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:16 pm

http://savefilmatlacma.blogspot.com/200 ... rates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#92 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:35 pm

It's great to see the 'Film at LACMA' movement going from strength to strength, but what really excites me is that some of the heat and light generated by that movement (headlines, celebrity endorsements etc.) is going to be reflected on this great, overlooked film - and Hou in general. This all bodes well for an extended tour of the new print and eventual DVD / Blu release.

Doug Cummings

#93 Post by Doug Cummings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:12 pm

That's what we're hoping for, zedz.

mteller

#94 Post by mteller » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:23 pm

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.549 ... etails.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Includes the following eight flix on 4 discs: "The Boys From Fengkuei", "A Summer At Grandpa's", "The Time To Live And The Time To Die", "Dust In The Wind", "The Puppetmaster", "Good Men, Good Women", "Goodbye South, Goodbye", and "Flowers Of Shanghai".

tavernier

#95 Post by tavernier » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 pm

No "City of Sadness," no sale.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#96 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:06 pm

This set appears to just be a re-packaging of HHH's own o/p Sino-movies set (of earlier films) and the (also o/p) Fox Lorber HHH releases (same panned/scanned Puppetmaster, reportedly). I wonder what the legal status opf this might be?

jsteffe

#97 Post by jsteffe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Yes, the new HHH set has the exact same transfers as the older set for the 1980s films, and I wasn't impressed at all with their transfers of the 90s films. If you already have have all those films in other versions, you can skip this box set.

When oh when will there ever be a properly letterboxed DVD of "The Puppetmaster" with a transfer that even remotely does it justice? I really hate to say it, but I still prefer the old Electric Pictures PAL VHS.

Jun-Dai
監督

#98 Post by Jun-Dai » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Just saw the print at BAMCinematek. Have to say, it was gorgeous (both the film and the print). I wonder who will get the Blu-ray/DVD rights. It'd be a crime if no one got it :-(

bearcuborg

#99 Post by bearcuborg » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Great screening, agreed. For those who care to download it, you can find a torrent easy enough.

Tom Amolad

#100 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 am

bearcuborg wrote:Great screening, agreed.
Thirded. What does that make? Ten percent of tonight's audience checking in here?