Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tartarlamb

Re: La Femme publique (Zulawski, 1984)

#26 Post by tartarlamb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 pm

I suppose I didn't mean bad -- you're right, there is a certain beauty to how heavily stylized and hysterical the performances are. I was irked a bit by the hubris of the remark, considering just how stylized and unique the acting is. Zulawski is one of those directors that antagonizes and controls his actors to draw out a certain kind of performance, a style of acting that I think is unique, but not necessarily the standard of a good acting performance (whatever that is), so why on earth would he make such a horrid pronouncement? It makes me wonder what, or how narrow exactly, his definition of a well-acted film is.

I haven't seen The Most Important Thing: Love, so I'm pretty excited about it -- particuarly since Mondo did such a great job on this one. I completely agree that La femme publique is low on the totem pole, at least of the films I've seen, but still a novel and worthwhile film.

arsonfilms

Mondo

#27 Post by arsonfilms » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:54 pm

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:From Mulvaney: No plans for any Andrzej Zulawski films
Fortunately, Mondo Vision seems to be (slowly) taking care of that particular front.

What A Disgrace

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#28 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:25 pm

arsonfilms wrote:
MyNameCriterionForum wrote:From Mulvaney: No plans for any Andrzej Zulawski films
Fortunately, Mondo Vision seems to be (slowly) taking care of that particular front.
Just in case nobody caught this being posted by pro-bassoonist on DVDTalk.
David has been kind enough to inform me that Mondo have been able to secure the rights for:

La Note Bleue (The Blue Note), 1992 Directed by Andrzej Zulawski
Diabel (The Devil), 1972 Directed by Andrzej Zulawski
POSSESSION, 1981 Directed by Andrzej Zulawski
Trzecia Czesc Nocy (The Third Part Of The Night), 1971 Directed by Andrzej Zulawski
Szamanka (Shaman Woman), 1996 Directed by Andrzej Zulawski
Na Srebrnym Globie (The Silver Globe), 1977/1987 Directed by Andrzej Zulawski

luridedith

Re: Mondo Vision

#29 Post by luridedith » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Amazing news! Possession's last couple of transfers were rather muddy, it deserves an upgrade. That means pretty much every Zulwaski film (with the sole exceptions of My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days, Boris Godounov and Fidelity) is getting a special edition R1 release, nine in total. Exciting! Just hope they are quick about it, I really hope they announce the release date for The Most Important Thing Is To Love soon.

MyNameCriterionForum

Re: La Femme publique (Zulawski, 1984)

#30 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 pm

David Mackenzie wrote: La Femme Publique is finally shipping on November 11th. You can preorder at Amazon, and I'm told soon also at Mondo-vision.com.
David, any chance you could convince Netflix to carry these titles? None of them seem to be available there as of yet.

David M.

#31 Post by David M. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:35 pm

That's out of my hands sadly, I don't work for Mondo Vision but for my own authoring/encoding company (Mondo are a client of ours and are happy for me to talk quite openly about the goings-on, which is nice). I will certainly suggest it to them. They're always looking for more ways to get their product out.
Just hope they are quick about it, I really hope they announce the release date for The Most Important Thing Is To Love soon.
Amazon will probably have the answer to that in a day or two ;)

MyNameCriterionForum

#32 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 am

Thanks, David. I will suggest the titles directly to Netflix -- though of late they seem to add about 100 exercise videos for every cult film, so the chances may be slim (ho ho!)

Telstar

#33 Post by Telstar » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:16 am

The Most Important Thing Is To Love is now available for pre-order at Amazon

arsonfilms

#34 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Telstar wrote:The Most Important Thing Is To Love is now available for pre-order at Amazon
Looks like they're doing the limited edition thing on this release, too. I'm very curious to hear more about the special features and whatnot.

gyorgys

#35 Post by gyorgys » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:04 pm

arsonfilms wrote:
Telstar wrote:The Most Important Thing Is To Love is now available for pre-order at Amazon
Looks like they're doing the limited edition thing on this release, too. I'm very curious to hear more about the special features and whatnot.
Limited edition (2000 numbered sets) here.

Perkins Cobb

#36 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Of course, it's possible that MV doesn't want Netflix to carry their titles so's people will actually have to BUY them. Alas.

MyNameCriterionForum

#37 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Perhaps, but at $20 a pop, I cant afford $200 for Zulawski's entire body of work -- as much as I love what I've seen. Also, that's something like saying a publisher doesn't want their books in libraries...

Telstar

#38 Post by Telstar » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:44 pm

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:Perhaps, but at $20 a pop, I cant afford $200 for Zulawski's entire body of work -- as much as I love what I've seen. Also, that's something like saying a publisher doesn't want their books in libraries...
$20 a pop? More like $30 - $45 (depending on amazon's price fluctuations and on whether you go for the spiffy limited edition or the relatively no-frills release).

What A Disgrace

#39 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 am

Specs at Mondo's site.

Finalized release info coming soon!
* Digitally Restored Transfer Mastered In High Definition Progressive Scan (Approved by Director Andrzej Zulawski)
* Feature Length Audio Commentary With Director Andrzej Zulawski And Writer Daniel Bird
* Exclusive New Video Interview With Director Andrzej Zulawski
* Theatrical Trailer
* Remastering: Before and After Comparison
* Image Gallery
* 24-page Booklet Featuring a Newly-Written Essay by Daniel Bird

Antoine Doinel

#40 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon May 18, 2009 10:26 am

Here's the artwork.

pro-bassoonist

#41 Post by pro-bassoonist » Tue May 19, 2009 4:04 am

It looks absolutely fantastic and I will be buying it no matter what!

Pro-B

ouatitw

#42 Post by ouatitw » Wed May 20, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm going to get The Most Important Thing Is To Love no matter what, its one of my favorite films and the only other release I'm aware of doesn't include english subs (although it does contain an english dub track).

I'm only able to find this on Amazon, does no one else carry it? Is it a special arrangement or just something that others haven't starting to stock yet?

eltopo

#43 Post by eltopo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:04 am

Camera Obscura

#44 Post by Camera Obscura » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:55 am

eltopo wrote:DVD Times Review
That 's a very nice appreciation by John White and looks like a great package, but still only available on Amazon, as far as I can see? And quite heftily priced, but I'll still go for it. This just looks too good to be true.

zombeaner

#45 Post by zombeaner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:55 pm

I am quite excited about this one. I didn't pick up La femme publique, but I'm hoping that watching the newer release will spark my interest in the older. I realize that is backward thinking. I ordered mine and can't wait to get it! The package looks amazing.

David M.

#46 Post by David M. » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 am

Anyone received their copies yet? Are Amazon treating you OK?

zombeaner

#47 Post by zombeaner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:06 am

David Mackenzie wrote:Anyone received their copies yet? Are Amazon treating you OK?
Mine shipped on Wednesday, but I don't have it yet. I checked the tracking, it'll probably be here today.

Galen Young

#48 Post by Galen Young » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:38 am

I received a copy of the limited edition yesterday. Came wrapped tight in cardboard, in perfect condition. A beautiful package for a terrific film. Looking forward to L'amour braque!

zombeaner

#49 Post by zombeaner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:49 pm

I just opened my Limited Edition and it is beautiful. The packaging is really impressive. I'm very tempted to pick up the LE of La femme publique now if it is this nice.

Cash Flagg

#50 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:35 pm

zombeaner wrote:I'm very tempted to pick up the LE of La femme publique now if it is this nice.
It is!