Abel Ferrara

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Floyd

#26 Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:28 am

Yeah, some reason The Funeral and The Addiction turn up only in full screen. I bought the R2 for $2 on eBay that is a 2-disc of the FS versions of The Addiction and The Funeral. It was very cheap so I won't complain too much and I just love seeing Walken chew up the world in these films. I didn't really care for The Bad Lieutenant like I did these films, it is a shame they are presented so badly but at the same time atleast they are available in some form.

Oedipax

#27 Post by Oedipax » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 pm

Just released last month, there's an uncut, anamorphic edition of Ms. 45 now released in France! You can see some screen captures here, but long story short, it looks like a huge improvement over the cut and letterboxed R1. There's also a release of Bad Lieutenant that could be worth investigating as well.

accatone

#28 Post by accatone » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:27 pm

Last edited by accatone on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

accatone

Re: Abel Ferrara on DVD

#29 Post by accatone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Adam X

#30 Post by Adam X » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:10 am

I bought the French BAD LIEUTENANT release, and unfortunately it's the all-too-usual case of the subtitles being forced when choosing the English soundtrack. So, haven't watched it as I need to get a program to make a copy without subs, but the picture is real nice - far better than the horrible old Artisan release.

Anyone know what the sub situation is with THE FUNERAL & THE ADDICTION, my two other favourite Ferrara films...

accatone

#31 Post by accatone » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 am

I have the french Bad Lieutenant (Collectors Edition) and King of New York - fortunatly both do not have forced subs on my set up (unless my mind is totally trippin'…). The Addiction does not have forced subs - have not bought The Funeral yet…

edit: better do not take the info on The Addiction for granted… i watched it with subs … will check tonight when back home!

Adam X

#32 Post by Adam X » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:57 pm

hmmm, might have to try Bad Lieutenant on my Blu Ray player, see if I can remove the subtitles on that.
still find it weird that apparently forced subtitles don't act that way on all players

EDIT: unfortunately, no difference with the Blu Ray player - back to Plan A
Last edited by Adam X on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

accatone

#33 Post by accatone » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Sorry i was wrong!! Forced french subs on the french disc, but no forced ones on the german THE ADDICTION! Just checked the discs.

stereo

#34 Post by stereo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:58 pm

just got the German disc of The Addiction and it looks great; I always thought this would be a great Criterion title; it's certainly the dissertation party everyone wishes they had

accatone

#35 Post by accatone » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:52 pm

David, you are lookin' fo some Ferrara? HOLY(?) smoke.
(sorry for such a useless post...but...hahaha)

Cold Bishop

#36 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:23 am

I've heard the Korean and French are fine uncut editions.

And we call it Ms. 45 over here.

foggy eyes

#37 Post by foggy eyes » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:16 am

david hare wrote:Ferrara is one of my dead areas and I admit to never having seen a single film by him.
As embarassing as it is to admit this here, me too (although I might have seen bits of Body Snatchers on TV once). Presumably this will be a good place to start.
If you look hard enough you'll find me somewehere else right now sorting this all out.

I think I'm following your lead!

der_Artur

#38 Post by der_Artur » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:43 am

Cold Bishop wrote:I've heard the [...] French are fine uncut editions.
You heard right, It is a very good DVD.

Regarding "The Addiction" I too can recommend the German DVD. "The Funeral" should be as good as that one.

accatone

#39 Post by accatone » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 am

Hey David - I just thought you were over this Catholicistic (does this term exist in the English language?) self destruction. ;)

I am quite a fan of Ferrara because even if there are silly scenes in his films (and there are) you can always see the Man at Work (I did not want to say Auteur here/but he is) - something that I personally enjoy. What I also like about his oeuvre is the exploration of different genres - even though the main topics are consistent.

The Brenez book (translated by A. Martin) is quite interesting, however i thought that she is reading a little too much into the films beyond the main topics, but just my opinion…The Addiction is now on amazon.de for 9,95€

In nomine patris et fili et spiritus sanctum

colinr0380

#40 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 am

foggy eyes wrote:
david hare wrote:Ferrara is one of my dead areas and I admit to never having seen a single film by him.
As embarassing as it is to admit this here, me too (although I might have seen bits of Body Snatchers on TV once). Presumably this will be a good place to start.
I seem to remember hearing that King Of New York (so maybe also Body Snatchers?) while his most accessible works are disparaged by Ferrara himself as too commercial - King of New York in particular in that he considered it to be glamourising the criminal lifestyle too much. It is very much a 'movie' movie approach to cops versus criminals, and a very entertaining one, though the very success of the film as entertainment is what Ferrara himself seems to object to in his very funny commentary on the film! (Although it does not prevent him from stopping in his tracks to mention the "glorious tits" of Walken's various molls in the film, even offering a play by play commentary of the technique Walken uses to play with one lady's nipples!) If the extras on the Artisan DVD are to be believed it seems to be one of those films along with the Scarface remake that every self-respecting gangsta rap artist has to have unironically displayed in their aspirational DVD collections!

The Funeral would seem to be the darker, less glamourous and uncommercial version of the criminal world, ending with an outburst of familial violence that is more brutally shocking than exciting and 'sexy'. Though it could be said to be astheticising violence and the criminal world in its own way with the gorgeous 30s setting and Billie Holiday's ode to depression and suicide Gloomy Sunday on the soundtrack!

David hare, if you really want to jump in at the deep end try Dangerous Game aka Snake Eyes. It is a gruelling watch (even more so if you cannot stand Madonna!) but along with Bad Lieutenant it is one of his most fascinating films. Sadly I've not had the chance to see anything more recent than The Funeral yet.

cinemartin

#41 Post by cinemartin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am

Does anybody here have any sort of copy of the original 70 min cut of 9 Lives of a Wet Pussy? They released it in the US on videotape, but eventually replaced it with a new version which is 63 min. Apparently, the video boxes were identical, making it nearly impossible to distinguish one from the other. I am curious to know if anyone saw this cut.

Camera Obscura

#42 Post by Camera Obscura » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:38 pm

golgothicon wrote:
Cold Bishop wrote:I've heard the [...] French are fine uncut editions.
You heard right, It is a very good DVD.

Regarding "The Addiction" I too can recommend the German DVD. "The Funeral" should be as good as that one.
Just to be on the safe side. I picked up a copy of the German DVD of The Funeral (Das Begräbnis) from some bargain bin in Berlin one time and to my surprise it only contained the German dub, which was not exactly was I was looking for. So check first!

The already mentioned French DVD of Ms. 45 as L'Ange de la vengeance is fine by the way. The first uncut version, anamorphic and some interviews about the film's reception in France and Abel Ferrra's undisputed "author status" in France. Unfortunately, the extras are in French only.

accatone

#43 Post by accatone » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:40 am

Yes, there is a 4:3, German dub only version from a label called MCP. There are other 4:3 versions of DANGEROUS GAME and BAD LIEUTENANT available - however, the above link is getting you to a brand new release, from a "better" and different label - Arthaus - so even though i do not own this disc yet my guess is that this is indeed a different Version incl. Correct AR and engl. language.

Camera Obscura

#44 Post by Camera Obscura » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Oh yes, there must be different German versions out there by now - but that version from ARTHAUS should be fine and does include the English audiotrack.

PaganPoet

#45 Post by PaganPoet » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Any word of "Mary" getting a DVD release in the US? I saw it in Paris a couple of years ago and loved it!

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#46 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon May 04, 2009 9:14 pm

From Home Theater Forum:
Lionsgate is proud to announce these upcoming DVD releases arriving on July 28th - Bad Lieutenant: Special Edition...

Bad Lieutenant: Special Edition
Bad Lieutenant debuts in a Special Edition DVD this July from Lionsgate. The film is directed by Abel Ferrara (The Funeral) and stars Academy Award® nominee Harvey Keitel (Best Supporting Actor, Bugsy, 1991), who gives a searing performance as an out-of-control police detective on a collision course with disaster. The Bad Lieutenant: Special Edition contains all new special features, including audio commentary by Director Abel Ferrara and Director of Photography Ken Kelsch and a retrospective documentary, and is encased in brand new O-card packaging.

Keitel is a nameless New York cop, hopelessly addicted to drugs, gambling, and sex. As he makes his way to various crime scenes, he is concerned only with taking bets from his fellow cops on the outcome of the ongoing National League playoffs. As his bad decisions drive him deeper into debt, his life becomes a surreal hell, with a constant intake of crack, coke, heroin, and booze eroding what remains of his sanity. An investigation into the rape of a nun leads to his spiritual breakdown at the church crime scene, where he sees Jesus and the road to his salvation. This gutsy, highly original tale is one of Ferrara's most perfectly realized films and a pinnacle in the career of Keitel, whose performance transcends the screen in its sheer bravery.
Pricing: DVD $19.98
-BJ

Jean-Luc Garbo

#47 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 pm

That's some good news. I've been meaning to get around to this movie. What's O-card packaging, though?

knives

#48 Post by knives » Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Just when I buy it too.

Adam X

#49 Post by Adam X » Tue May 05, 2009 4:46 am

knives wrote:Just when I buy it too.
yes, me too :( . It's the DVD variation on Murphy's Law in action...

likely the O-card packaging, is either some flimsy-won't-last-a-year type box, or it's a fancy name for a wast-of-money-&-paper slipcase :roll:

Oedipax

#50 Post by Oedipax » Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 am

I wonder if "Signifying Rapper" will be restored on the soundtrack? Between bitching about Led Zeppelin and Werner Herzog, this commentary should be one for the ages.