942 The Tree of Life

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Fierias

Re: The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2009)

#126 Post by Fierias » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 pm

It's like that game Telephone.

Thanks Jeff, and sorry everyone for the confusion.

Cde.

#127 Post by Cde. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Jeff wrote:IFink is not yet credited for any work on The Tree of Life at IMDb yet, but that doesn't really mean anything.
The plot synopsis released by Summit Entertainment doesn't mention anything outside of the 1950s-present. Furthermore, The Voyage of Time doesn't officially exist yet, but just keeps getting mentioned in pesky event staff/panel biographies.

It's amazing that security can be kept as tight as it is around this project in 2009.

Jeff

#128 Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:51 pm

And the game of telephone continues, as Jeffrey Wells has apparently picked up on this. Some of the commenters at his site confirm that the article appears in the print edition.

Cde.

#129 Post by Cde. » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 am

While Empire is a terrible rag, it would be appreciated if some of the English members of this forum could confirm this, even if they just pick it up off a rack and flip to page 31. A picture would be very nice though.

MyNameCriterionForum

#130 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 am

Terrence Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE To Go IMAX? With Dinosaurs?

Have to admit, I thought the same thing as did AICN's reporter when he says:
BTW, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the scrapped Q featured a minotaur and that the current plot summary for THE TREE OF LIFE contains the following: "The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth."

Antoine Doinel

#131 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 am

If the film does indeed require IMAX screens, and if FX are only being worked on now, I think it's highly likely this is going to be a 2010 release. As AICN points out, Avatar (and Madagascar 2 and Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince) will have IMAX screens tied up for most of the fall. Summit is not going to be able to wrangle screens unless it does some kind of limited release in September, but given Malick's pace, I don't see it happening.

codam

#132 Post by codam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:16 am

Cde. wrote:While Empire is a terrible rag, it would be appreciated if some of the English members of this forum could confirm this, even if they just pick it up off a rack and flip to page 31. A picture would be very nice though.

Antoine Doinel

#133 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:23 am

In that Empire article, it's the editors, not the interviewee who is saying (guessing?) the dinosaurs are from Tree Of Life. Could it be that Malick has started pre-production on Q? It seems odd that if dinosaurs are in Tree Of Life, the animators would only be starting their work now. You would think they would be working on sketches, concepts etc from the early stages of production.

Also, is there confirmation that Stephen Fry got out of the elevator?

Jeff

#134 Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:In that Empire article, it's the editors, not the interviewee who is saying (guessing?) the dinosaurs are from Tree Of Life. Could it be that Malick has started pre-production on Q? It seems odd that if dinosaurs are in Tree Of Life, the animators would only be starting their work now. You would think they would be working on sketches, concepts etc from the early stages of production.
I'm sure that the editors got confirmation from Fink before adding that parenthetical note. There has long been speculation that Tree of Life was the evolution (pardon the pun) of Q, and would contain sequences spanning millennia. I think we're supposed to ponder the insignificance of our existence in the time and space of the universe and stuff. I'm not entirely surprised that Malick is just now getting to the dino work. I imagine he is supervising it meticulously himself. I really wouldn't be surprised if this thing wasn't released until 2010.

Antoine Doinel

#135 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I definitely agree that this is looking more and more likely to be a 2010 release.

MyNameCriterionForum

#136 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 pm

You Now Have 2001 More Reasons To Be Excited For Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE!

Jesus H. Christ,
Visual f/x legend Douglas Trumbull is working on THE TREE OF LIFE.

flyonthewall2983

#137 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

solaris72

#138 Post by solaris72 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 am

That's pretty amazing. Watching Trumbull's interview on the Silent Running DVD it sounded like he was out of the movie business. Particularly since his major contributions were all back in the days of optical effects.
And when I say "IMAX movie", I mean a whole second movie. That's right, we'll be getting two new Malick movies in the next year or so: the first is THE TREE OF LIFE (which one source tells me is "massive"); the other will be an "IMAX-only" feature depicting the birth and death of the universe. It's important to note that these films are not narratively connected; to the best of my knowledge, they're thematically complementary pieces.
Ye cats.

Cde.

#139 Post by Cde. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:30 am

Thanks a lot for the scan, codam.

It's kind of a shame the whole mystery has been ruined within the span of a few days of that Empire article reaching print. They were doing a great job keeping it all under wraps.

Still, this isn't really information that wasn't already available if you looked hard enough. Reference was made months ago to a related IMAX natural history segment, The Voyage of Time. No one took any notice.

Douglas Trumbull working on this film is amazing though. Amazing.

I think this will be a summer 2010 release. Jack Fisk said in a recent interview that the film looks absolutely incredible (he even suggested it would change the shape of cinema) but that he could easily see Malick working on this one for a long time. I think we'll probably see this in Spring/Summer 2010. Malick films aren't exactly typical summer blockbuster material, but in telling a story as astonishingly expansive as this one he may draw in the crowds for the first time in his career.

Hopefully we'll see the two films released at the same time. That would make sense if they are intended to thematically compliment each other as has been stated.

MyNameCriterionForum

#140 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:37 am

Summer of 2010? Fuck that shit -- this is gonna open with Inglourious Basterds at Cannes 2009, DAWGS! Two Pitts! No Bull!

Yeah, the news of a separate/related IMAX film is old news; I'm sure it's mentioned (or linked to) previously in this thread. Still, all of this sounds more and more like Q -- or at least what Q was rumored to be. One shot in Malick's oeuvre that has always stuck with me is the time-lapse sprouting wheat in Days of Heaven... such a strangely touching moment in that brilliant film.

Sorry, now it's THREE FILMS

Cde.

#141 Post by Cde. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 am

Mike Fink wrote:"We’re just starting work on a project for Terrence Malick, which is actually 3 films. There’s going to be a 35mm release, a shorter IMAX version, and then they’re talking about another shorter 35mm version which isn’t quite the Imax version but not the feature length one either."
This actually makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how a project of this scale could possibly be condensed into one film, especially since IMAX film only allows for a 157 (I think) minute runtime. With this release plan, Malick can fully flesh out the story of the development of a man and the story of the development of the universe and release them as companion works. Still, this is a compromise, since I believe Q* was meant to be one work presenting the history of everything. But with a little Malick editing magic; voila! The two films become one, and the full work presenting the story of life is created. Malick doesn't need to sacrifice too much of his vision for run time with two other full features available.
Mike Fink wrote:"We’re animating dinosaurs, but it’s not Jurassic Park. The attempt is to treat it as if somehow a camera wound up in the middle of these periods when dinosaurs roamed the earth and creatures first started to emerge from the sea onto the land. The first mammals appearing. We’re doing a number of creatures all seriously scientifically based."
Let's face it. This is obviously Q.

I can't see this project not creating stunningly beautiful results.

That said, it sounds like an unprecedented marketing challenge.
Last edited by Cde. on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameCriterionForum

#142 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 am

Cde. wrote:That said, it sounds like an unprecedented marketing challenge.
Well, it has my engor -- er, endorsement: Is that The Tree of Life in your pants or are you just happy to see another Terrence Malick film?

Cde.

#143 Post by Cde. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:56 am

I was thinking something more along the lines of Eyes Wide Shut.

Malick. Pitt. Penn. Imax. Fucking dinosaurs. Everything.

Oh, and it's two films, by the way, so please see both.

...and the third one in a few months time.

Finch

#144 Post by Finch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 pm

I'd love to see the IMAX film released on DVD eventually. Might make a nice double bill with The Tree of Life. This is going to be my most anticipated film of 2009 (delay to 2010 notwithstanding) alongside Michael Mann's Public Enemies.

MyNameCriterionForum

#145 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 am

Oh man, dig the frogman in #s 13 & 14!

Malick + Underwater Photography always = GOLD

Cde.

#146 Post by Cde. » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:08 am

True. I want to see the 12 minute underwater scene created for The New World.

Oh, and I am so damn excited for this (these?) film(s).

CSM126

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#147 Post by CSM126 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Narshty wrote:Now that Criterion are issuing their first Paramount-licensed Blu-ray, I wonder how long it'll be before Days of Heaven crops up?
Probably about as long as it'll take Terrence Malick to work up the "hit maker" status necessary to have stroke with studio brass enough to make them do what he wants. Which is to say forever and a day.

Cde.

#149 Post by Cde. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 am

Playing the minotaur, perhaps?

MyNameCriterionForum

#150 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 am

I just hope he wrestles a dinosaur.