Screen Captures (5-6 per post + links to additional images)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Trelkovsky

Re: Screen Captures

#401 Post by Trelkovsky » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:19 am

Husbands (John Cassavetes), Region 2 Spain (sony).

Trelkovsky

#402 Post by Trelkovsky » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:17 pm

L'important c'est d'aimer (Andrzej Zulawski), R2 Spain (Universal), includes english subtitles.

Stefan Andersson

#403 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:13 am

Re: aspect ratio of HOURGLASS SANATORIUM: I´ve seen this film in a 35mm print. It´s definitely a 2.35 movie. Malavida, the company that released the French dvd, tells me in an e-mail a 1.78 master was the only one available.

eltopo

#404 Post by eltopo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:47 pm

HOURGLASS SANATORIUM (Malavida Films-FR)

bigP

#405 Post by bigP » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:03 pm

The Trial (Orson Welles), Optimum Releasing, R2 UK.

My first impressions were very strong (strong rich blacks, acceptable midtones, fairly sharp, seemed accurate in its AR - although it has been Picture-Boxed / Window-Boxed). My second impression made me think my first impression was more surprise that it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be - the strong blacks were a result of slight but not terrible over contrasting, the sharpness could definitely be better but is still acceptable, there are no subtitle options, and of course, the image has been Picture-Boxed / Window-Boxed. Still overall, it is a pretty good representation until something better comes out, i'm happy to hold on to this release.

N.B. The DVD cover does not acknowledge anywhere that there is a 30 minute documentary on Welles interpreting Kafka to film / talking with the crew about making The Trial and a 23 minute interview with Edmond Richmond, DOP on The Trial, as well as a trailer and stills gallery. I'll put up a screen capture of the bonus features menu as i'm not sure if they have been included on any other Welles release, and may be a selling point to some.

Narshty

#406 Post by Narshty » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 pm

It's pillar-boxed to 1.66:1 within a 16:9 frame. No complaints on that count.

Thanks so much for this, bigP. I can't believe Optimum were fools enough not to point out any of the supplements on this release.

Forrest Taft

#407 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:40 pm

The extra features are terrific, including some deleted shots from the movie, and some great info on Welles´working methods.

bigP

#408 Post by bigP » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Narshty wrote:Thanks so much for this, bigP. I can't believe Optimum were fools enough not to point out any of the supplements on this release.
Unbelievable, I know. It's one thing for small companies like Mr Bongo to print up the cover for Identification of a Woman (for example) with noted special features, only to lose them at the last minute, it's a whole other mistake to not mention the special features that ARE included, especially if they are as worthy as these. Even if they were a last minute addition, surely it would have been worth holding back the release date a month or so and having the covers reprinted, or would this cost them more than I expect? I know little about this subject and it's financial costs.
Narshty wrote:It's pillar-boxed to 1.66:1 within a 16:9 frame. No complaints on that count.
Again, i'm pretty much a layman when it comes to the ins and outs of DVDs and their aspect ratio's. Gary Tooze tends to make light of picture-boxing, so I thought, best mention it myself just in case.

feckless boy

Pigs and Battleships (R2, Japan 1961)

#409 Post by feckless boy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:46 am

Pigs and Battleships aka Hogs and Warships

feckless boy

Partie de Campagne (R2)

#410 Post by feckless boy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Partie de Campagne: BFI vs Studio Canal

BFI
Studio Canal
BFI
Studio Canal

Slightly different framing, Studio Canal showing more on the sides and on top, but a shade less on the bottom. Studio Canal also looks sharper, not only brighter, and the highlights are more distinct (see last cap). No subtitles on Studio Canal, burnt-in on BFI.

HerrSchreck

#411 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 pm

The caps show such a bluish tint they almost blend in with the forum background.

feckless boy

#412 Post by feckless boy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:58 am

HerrSchreck wrote:The caps show such a bluish tint they almost blend in with the forum background.
Shreck, what kind of monitor are you using? On one older TFT-LCD ("flat monitor") I get the tint you're refering to, but on others (newer TFT-LCDs and an old CRT) they look fine. Weird - anyone else care to comment.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#413 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:29 am

To make it nice and scientific, I pulled the caps into Photoshop and looked at the histograms -- there's no blue bias. Conversion to pure grayscale didn't result in any noticeable difference.

HerrSchreck

#414 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up (hurls monitor out window).

Thank god I never watch movies on this. Probably needs a calibrative tweak.

Person

#415 Post by Person » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:59 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Thanks for the heads up (hurls monitor out window).

Thank god I never watch movies on this. Probably needs a calibrative tweak.
That's the least of your worries - your manky malfunctioning monitor is probably leaking radiation into your brain, brother. You'll have temporal lobe epilepsy come Christmas morning! Enjoy the sights in the fifth dimension! :shock:

HerrSchreck

#416 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Gor-don! Have you been at the Salvia again?

charulata

The Banishment (2007) - Andrei Zvyagintsev - Artificial Eye

#417 Post by charulata » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:23 am

Some minor compression artefacts (5.39GB for 150 min.) and other weirdness - pretty much as noted in the DVD Times review - but nothing too distracting and overall a very good presentation of a beautiful film.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8763/09gx3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4024/10ag4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2629/15bw0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MyNameCriterionForum

#418 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:07 am

=; :D :) :(
Last edited by MyNameCriterionForum on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scharphedin2

#419 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Below, some stills from various of the two-reelers on the first three volumes of the Looser Than Loose 6-Disc release of Buster Keaton: Educational Two-Reelers. All of the films (aside from one, I believe) were transferred from private collectors' 16mm prints.

It would be possible to display stills that would make these discs look a lot more unbecoming, than I have done here. However, in motion, most of these films look like the 16mm prints that they originate from. Some are in very nice shape, and some look slightly rougher.

Trelkovsky

#420 Post by Trelkovsky » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Crime and punishment (Josef von Sternberg, 1935). R2, Spain, Sony.

Scharphedin2

#421 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:54 am

Supplementing the Unknown Video thread. Here are a series of stills from their Nickelodia releases. For those concerned with such things (even if the stills below do not reflect this), all of the films do show combing when played on a computer, although when viewing these films on my projector, I noticed no disturbances of the image.

Yup! That would be Mr. Griffith himself doing a "Hitchcock"...

MyNameCriterionForum

#422 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 am

=; :D :) :(
Last edited by MyNameCriterionForum on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knappen

#423 Post by Knappen » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:57 am

Audace colpo dei soliti ignoti (1960), the very good follow-up to I Soliti ignoti (Criterion's Big Deal on Madonna Street) is out in France as part of a box and now as a single disc. French title: Hold-up a la milanaise. French subs only.

Scharphedin2

#424 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:29 am

Some captures from the Polish Tadeusz Konwicki box set:

Scharphedin2

#425 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 am

Some captures from Swedish label Sandre Metronome's Syskonbädd 1782.